Notices

Cancel Airbag Light (Proper Way) and 07 Weight Sensor Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:58 AM
aRYip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a problem...
After I turn to the ON position, my Air Bag light will not flash at all, it just stay on forever, and it says when you turn off, I dont hear that 5 sets of beat either (only hear 4 sets of beat when i turn to ON position). Any idea?

I have a accident before, and the driver side side air bag was deployed (the one in the seat), the guy at the shop told me they replace the air bag and the module. but the light wont go off, any idea?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:54 AM
REDLINE LIFE

Is there a way to use the seat occupancy "bladder" from the older Z's and G's, on the newer 07's and 08's instead of using the new style thin felt pad sensor?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:34 AM
driver350

Hey guy's...

I've read this thread with intrest and of course you guessed it my airbag light started to blink while I was driving home yesterday. So I have a couple of questions:

I followed the procedure yesterday and reset the light and this worked for about a day and now is back to flashing.

I've followed the procedure to put in diagnostic mode and it is flashing the very first 2 second 3 second (code not cleared properly) I'm fine with this for now. I also know that I'm still under the 5 year warranty. My question is mostly about this.

I have an 2005 and I'm the second owner of this car and I'm not registred with Nissan as the owner or second owner. Does the warranty still apply? Also, can anybody produce any written documentation that airbag faults are actually part of powertrain warranty? I've looked through my warranty booklets and it doesn't say.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:07 AM
driver350

Anybody?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 AM
druz13

Nice i think it worked for me, hopefully it dosent come back in a few days. thanks OP
Old 12-29-2009, 07:34 PM
davidz33

I have 06 base (so there are only front airbags for each side), so only thing I had to worry about was passenger side weight sensor.

Here is my step by step procedure for thin film type weight sensor.

First, I pulled apart the passenger side seat and took out the weight sensor, and it was thin film type instead of bladder. (When you do this, you do not need to destroy your seat. Take out bottom cushion by removing four 13mm screws and cut off all the hog rings under the seat and just under the skin as well).

Since my weight sensor was the film type, I couldn't roll it to apply pressure. Instead, I cut off two glulam boards (approx. size of letter size paper) to cover top and bottom of the sensor. Then, I bolted along the edges to apply pressure. <-- THIS IS VERY TRICKY.If you look in owner's manual, passenger side airbag will be turned off under the following conditions:
1. Child or small adult who weighs less than 90 lbs is in the seat.
2. Adult (weighing more than 90 lbs) is not seated properly
First condition says that enough pressure should be applied to the sensor. Second one says that more pressure should be applied toward back of the sensor (around hip area) than front (thigh area). In other words, more pressure should be applied to hip area than thigh area. If you apply uniform pressure to the sensor, passenger side airbag will be turned off (overhead orange light comes on). Also, keep in mind that if no pressure is applied to the sensor, the overhead light will not come on, but the passenger side airbag is turned off.
In order to overcome this challenge, I inserted two strips of sponges toward the front and paint stirring sticks toward the back, and adjusted bolts along the edges until the light went off.

Well, I'm terrible at explaining things in words, so if you have any questions, please pm me.

One last thing, check your airbag fuse if your SRS (red light above seat belt sigh) stays on and can't enter diagnostic mode per OP's first posting.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:40 AM
Kieran@DrivenDynamics

Talking

Originally Posted by davidz33
I have 06 base (so there are only front airbags for each side), so only thing I had to worry about was passenger side weight sensor.

Here is my step by step procedure for thin film type weight sensor.

First, I pulled apart the passenger side seat and took out the weight sensor, and it was thin film type instead of bladder. (When you do this, you do not need to destroy your seat. Take out bottom cushion by removing four 13mm screws and cut off all the hog rings under the seat and just under the skin as well).

Since my weight sensor was the film type, I couldn't roll it to apply pressure. Instead, I cut off two glulam boards (approx. size of letter size paper) to cover top and bottom of the sensor. Then, I bolted along the edges to apply pressure. <-- THIS IS VERY TRICKY.If you look in owner's manual, passenger side airbag will be turned off under the following conditions:
1. Child or small adult who weighs less than 90 lbs is in the seat.
2. Adult (weighing more than 90 lbs) is not seated properly
First condition says that enough pressure should be applied to the sensor. Second one says that more pressure should be applied toward back of the sensor (around hip area) than front (thigh area). In other words, more pressure should be applied to hip area than thigh area. If you apply uniform pressure to the sensor, passenger side airbag will be turned off (overhead orange light comes on). Also, keep in mind that if no pressure is applied to the sensor, the overhead light will not come on, but the passenger side airbag is turned off.
In order to overcome this challenge, I inserted two strips of sponges toward the front and paint stirring sticks toward the back, and adjusted bolts along the edges until the light went off.

Well, I'm terrible at explaining things in words, so if you have any questions, please pm me.

One last thing, check your airbag fuse if your SRS (red light above seat belt sigh) stays on and can't enter diagnostic mode per OP's first posting.
I think I know what you did...but can you post a picture? Nice find btw..
Old 01-05-2010, 09:15 AM
davidz33

Originally Posted by Kieran@DrivenDynamics
I think I know what you did...but can you post a picture? Nice find btw..
My method only worked for a couple of days. My guess is that glulam boards I used lost stiffness resulting in failing to apply enough pressure to the sensor. So I took apart my vented seats and inserted the sensor under skin of bottom cushion. This film type weight sensor is too much pain. Nissan should just put a switch to turn passenger side airbag on/off manually. Speaking of which, how many people are in need of bypassing film type weight sensor? Maybe we can ask someone knowledgable in electronics to come up with a simple devide to keep the airbag on all the time. I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of outputing correct voltage/signal.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Road Warrior

awesome post...hopefully will save me a trip to nissan. i hate taking her in because you know they love to find something wrong even when there isn't a problem...or you get the car back worse off then when you took it in.

anyways, thanks rijowysock
Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM
silver streak

have an 08 coupe, replaced stock seats with aftermarket ones. my airbag light is still flashing. question: there is the seat belt sensor wire, no problem, i have 4 wires (white, black, and 2 gray) from plug and dont know which 2 to put the resistors to. any help? thanks

Last edited by silver streak; 10-21-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:46 AM
Colin_S

Holly thread revival, but i can't find a decent solution to the film type sensor issue. Has anyone come up with anything since this?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 PM
winnie
Banned

Seat belts, impact sensors, air bags and side air bags are all tied together through your car's computer into a single system. There are, literally, hundreds of components in this system and they must all work together flawlessly in order to provide protection
Old 09-30-2012, 05:43 PM
zeyn83

Default Airbag Light Issue

I replaced my seats today and I am having trouble turning off the airbag light I used the 2.2ohm resistors (RED RED GOLD GOLD) as mentioned here and by many other forum members but it does not want to do the trick for me. I first connected the resistors into the airbag sensor socket and because it did not work, I also tried cutting the wires and connecting the resistor directly into those cables.

I tried the reset procedure mentioned here after installing the resistors, still no luck. I have a Cobb AccessPort that I can view the trouble codes with and here is what I am getting:

b1022 & b1129 & b1134

I checked the error codes on the following site, I know it is not for a 350Z but I assume the airbag trouble codes are the same on Nissans:

http://www.dougfreeze.com/altima/manual/SRC.pdf

The error codes seem to indicate that "airbag module circuit is open". Do you guys have any idea what to do in this case? I already tried like 10 different resistors to make sure I don't have a defective one. I just don't understand how I could have an open circuit after simply connecting a resistor on driver and passenger sides.

Any advise is much appreciated, thanks guys!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:13 AM
amb350z

Sorry for reviving this old thread but can the OP or somebody with the saved pictures please repost the images from the write up? The links appear broken and I'm in the middle of installing new seats on my 07 and need to get around the weight sensor issue.

Cheers
Old 01-17-2013, 03:16 PM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

^same here
Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

So I saw the Pulse code the light gives.

Key on.... Light on for 7 sec....off for 2 sec...then on/ off in 1to 2 second intervals
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 AM
kno

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by zeyn83
I replaced my seats today and I am having trouble turning off the airbag light I used the 2.2ohm resistors (RED RED GOLD GOLD) as mentioned here and by many other forum members but it does not want to do the trick for me. I first connected the resistors into the airbag sensor socket and because it did not work, I also tried cutting the wires and connecting the resistor directly into those cables.

I tried the reset procedure mentioned here after installing the resistors, still no luck. I have a Cobb AccessPort that I can view the trouble codes with and here is what I am getting:

b1022 & b1129 & b1134

I checked the error codes on the following site, I know it is not for a 350Z but I assume the airbag trouble codes are the same on Nissans:

http://www.dougfreeze.com/altima/manual/SRC.pdf

The error codes seem to indicate that "airbag module circuit is open". Do you guys have any idea what to do in this case? I already tried like 10 different resistors to make sure I don't have a defective one. I just don't understand how I could have an open circuit after simply connecting a resistor on driver and passenger sides.

Any advise is much appreciated, thanks guys!

i have the same problem i need pics damn it
Old 01-18-2013, 02:25 PM
NismoZR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This video should help
. Did you guys use the resistor from radio shack.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM
NismoZR

Originally posted by Chebosto
[b]*** UPDATE 7/10/05 ***

instructions.. since i've been getting so many PMs about this lately...

You'll need either a 2.2ohm or 2.0 ohm total resistance to trick the airbag system in thinking the seat airbag is still there.

quite simple to make, and that nismo airbag resistor that sells for like $54 is a joke.

Radio Shack sells a 5 pack of 10ohm resistors. Either in a 1/4 Watt or 1/2 Watt packaging.
1/4 Watt SKU# 271-1301
1/2 Watt SKU# 271-1101

I used the 1/4 Watt, but if they're out of stock, the 1/2W will work fine.

Next up, you'll need some 18 or 22 AWG wire. I like to keep things simple so one roll of red, one roll of black.

I wanted to keep things tight and water proof (in case of spilled beverages) so pick up some Heat-Shrink Tubing. Radio Shack SKU#278-1627B. Its a multi-pack and you can cut it down to fitaround the resistors. Or use a cut Ziplock freezer bag and tape it all up after you're done.

Then pick up a box of BUCHANAN Tap-Splices. They're the RED color, for #22 - #18 AWG wires.. and what they commonly are used for is to splice things onto pre-existing wires. in our case, the yellow airbag connectors.

If you dont already have a soldering iron or solder, i suggest you pick up some while you're there. get solder with the resin pre-mixed in it, that way it will adhere easier.

basically. we need all five 10ohm resistors in Parallel circuit, that will equal a final resistance of 2.0ohms

so, grab all five resistors, twist the ends together on each side and solder one side with the red wire, the other side with the black wire. heat shrink wrap over the resistor cluster when you're done and then bend the wires to make a U shape. Once you have that completed. you can use the wire splice to attach to each side of the yellow airbag harness. it doesnt matter what color red or black goes to each wire, as long as there is good connection you'll be ok. i'd tape up the splices with electrical tape just to make sure it doesnt move. Repeat if you have a passenger side airbag you want to disable.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:39 PM
NismoZR

Originally Posted by amb350z
Sorry for reviving this old thread but can the OP or somebody with the saved pictures please repost the images from the write up? The links appear broken and I'm in the middle of installing new seats on my 07 and need to get around the weight sensor issue.

Cheers
I don't have weight sensor on mine but I remember the person remove the sensor under your oem stock seats and roll it up and tied with a tie wrap to fool the ecu so the light won't come on.

Quick Reply: Cancel Airbag Light (Proper Way) and 07 Weight Sensor Bypass