Notices

DIY: 06+ Base with Cruise Control using Uprev + OEM Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 08:23 AM
mwcarroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. And yes, my engine is built for the higher revs .

Stock fuel cut was 7200 RPM, now my rev limiter is at 7500 RPM and fuel cut is set to 7600 RPM (so... no fuel cut).

N/A, dynoed at just over 291 rwhp.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:17 PM
guvars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im having a hard time finding an answer to this question. Im buying a full steering wheel from an 06 350z with cruise control and audio controls. my car is an 03 with cruise control and up rev tuned.
for the audio controls i know i will need the axxess module in order to the audio controls to work with an aftermarket pioneer unit.
for the cruise control is it just plug and play since my car already has cruise control?
Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 PM
npr350z

You need the brake and clutch sensor...unless it'll work without them. Then it just won't shut off if you push the brakes or push your clutch in. Either is bad juju, and I don't think nissan would let it work without those two sensors...but what do I know?
Old 03-18-2014, 06:52 PM
guvars

i guess i should of clarified it a bit more. my car is an 03 with cruise control so it has working cruise control from the factory, that is why Im wondering if the new cruise control buttons from an 06 (the ones that light up) will plug right in.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:57 PM
npr350z

Oh my mistake. I thought you just got the tune for cruise control put on. My bad.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:05 AM
sk8r776

So after reading this there is one thing that has not been tried that I read.

Has anyone swapped a '03-'05 cluster W/ TCS into an '06 Rev-UP Base?

The main difference is the red line on the gauge face (which is a simple swap.) Is the communication different between the ECU and the Cluster?
Old 05-02-2014, 01:46 AM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

I would imagine they would work the same seeing as the wiring harnesses are pretty much identical. However I tend to assume the worst and plan for it.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:00 AM
icer5160

Gentlemen, in order to simplify this entire process, and prevent everyone interested in doing this from getting stuck shuffling through 13 pages of this thread. I have created a complete DIY guide on installing OEM Cruise control to a 6MT Base 350Z. Note that this guide does not cover the cluster swap/install since it's a tedious process and you risk scratching the cluster housing(it's so easily damaged on 06+ Z33s, the paint is load of fecal matter!). But I am thinking about doing a separate guide on that in the future.

I put the file on tinyupload.com, the link is below:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...84681061546750

Please feel free to PM me any suggestions, comments, or updates for the guide and I will do my best to make the needed updates/changes.

-Icer signing off
Old 05-08-2014, 09:27 AM
Don1376

Originally Posted by ian99rt
As of the last time o checked uprev themselves were not up to date on adding cruise. I would siggest vince at RT tuning who can set you up with all the uprev setup.

E30cabrio used a different tuner who can help as well.
We (Uprev in Austin) do support adding cruise control to your rom with purchase of a licenses. I'm doing it to my 06 350z Enthusiast as we speak, but because I had the parts here I custom built my cruise control switches in a box out of 4 momentary-on switches and some resistors for now. I do plan on getting the OEM factory steering wheel switches thou. Just had my already tuned rom opened and enabled CC and just 2 maps, secruity and performance. Even if I had a stock or economy map I'd never use them. Reflashed my ecu and all works except lights of course.

And to the guy who wanted CC but not the Uprev software cause he didn't want to change performance. You can purchase the Uprev license and have CC enabled and we can not modify any other aspect of rom so you keep stock performance. Tuning is an option not a must.

Just wanted to clarify and hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Don1376

Also if anyone is interested in building their own box with 4 momentary pause switches I can post what resistors are needed to get the correct ohms for them to work and how to wire them and what 2 wires to tie into for it to work. The one I built works just same as having the oem switches and I keep it hidden in the compartment above radio for now. I do plan on getting the actual assembly that goes in steering wheel and a instrument panel from a 350z that came with cruise control.

Mainly built box first just to make sure map switching and cc was going to work although we have enabled it on several customers cars, and I had everything needed to do it already at shop. 4 switches, 6 resistors, a box, piece of wire and soldiering tools.

Since I work on Zs everyday and know many owners, maybe if I hold out I can pick up both parts used for cheap, barter for work, or free. I've acquired many of my upgrades this way. I'm around Zs everyday.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Don1376

Originally Posted by mwcarroll
Thanks for the replies. And yes, my engine is built for the higher revs .

Stock fuel cut was 7200 RPM, now my rev limiter is at 7500 RPM and fuel cut is set to 7600 RPM (so... no fuel cut).

N/A, dynoed at just over 291 rwhp.
Just curious what mods you have to dyno at over 291 rwhp on your '06 Z, I have the same year/engine, just the Enthusiast model with a few upgrades, (test pipes, y-pipe, 5Zigen exhaust, lighter flywheel, Uprev tune) and dyno at 254 whp on dynojet with 100,000 miles on car. Its really hard if not impossible to hit 290-300 whp on a Revup engine, NA of course, no matter how many bolt ons, unless you change the cams. Stock Revups dyno around 220 to 230 whp no mods. And there's no power gain what so ever above the stock redline with stock cams. I say this from 4 years of installing upgrades on various Z's, from simple bolt ones to FI, TT or SC and strapping the cars down on dyno and seeing the tunes done and the before and after results from each one.

Sorry for going off topic and not saying what you posted is wrong, just you have no mods listed in your garage and getting as close to 300 whp NA has been a goal of mine till I build my SC motor next spring.

Last edited by Don1376; 05-11-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:42 PM
icer5160

Hey Don,

I was just in Rancho Cordova this past weekend doing some 350Z picking. There's tons of Auto Recyclers out there. One of them specializes in 350Zs/G35s. Sac City Auto Parts has a lot of little hard to find bits (all used of course). They sell complete gauge clusters for $100.00. They just got a 2006 350Z in that I picked some things from. Unfortunately it was an automatic, but the OEM cruise switches were all there if you still needed these. If not, I would check these guys out from time to time, they are always getting new stock.

They also carry a lot of 300ZX parts and they ship nationwide.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:04 PM
Don1376

Originally Posted by icer5160
Hey Don,

I was just in Rancho Cordova this past weekend doing some 350Z picking. There's tons of Auto Recyclers out there. One of them specializes in 350Zs/G35s. Sac City Auto Parts has a lot of little hard to find bits (all used of course). They sell complete gauge clusters for $100.00. They just got a 2006 350Z in that I picked some things from. Unfortunately it was an automatic, but the OEM cruise switches were all there if you still needed these. If not, I would check these guys out from time to time, they are always getting new stock.

They also carry a lot of 300ZX parts and they ship nationwide.
Thanks, I emailed them just to see if they did and the cost. I know if I hold out long enough though, I'll acquire the CC switches for next to nothing or trade at work. I repair, install upgrades and mods on different Z's every day. I've found them for $54.00 new plus shipping, but for as little as I use cruise control my self made switch box is working well. Although having them in steering wheel would make enabling my security map a little more convenient/faster.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:17 AM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by icer5160
Gentlemen, in order to simplify this entire process, and prevent everyone interested in doing this from getting stuck shuffling through 13 pages of this thread. I have created a complete DIY guide on installing OEM Cruise control to a 6MT Base 350Z. Note that this guide does not cover the cluster swap/install since it's a tedious process and you risk scratching the cluster housing(it's so easily damaged on 06+ Z33s, the paint is load of fecal matter!). But I am thinking about doing a separate guide on that in the future.

I put the file on tinyupload.com, the link is below:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...84681061546750

Please feel free to PM me any suggestions, comments, or updates for the guide and I will do my best to make the needed updates/changes.

-Icer signing off

I just brushed thru your guide. Looks good
Old 06-07-2014, 06:51 AM
R3belzBRN

Hey there.

Im wondering. Our 350z models in my country is very different from the models in the usa. There are no base, touring and etc. We just have one model, mine is the 5at, leather seats with brembo brakes but no cruise control. So in order for me to install cc, other than the cc switches, uprev (which i already have) and i only need the brake sensor, p right? Since mine is the 5at..

Thanks in advance
Old 06-11-2014, 11:33 AM
icer5160

Hi R3belz,

Since you have an automatic transmission, I'm not sure if this will work or not. I don't think anyone on these forums has tried it yet, you might be the first to do it.

1) Get your CC switches
2) Get your brake switch
3) Get the CC enabled ROM from Uprev and have it flashed/installed.

All 350Zs use an electronic throttle-body so in theory it should work, what I'm not sure about is if the automatic transmission requires some type of supporting sensor(probably not in my opinion). Just make sure you point out it's an automatic!
-Icer
Old 07-24-2014, 05:00 PM
borgem

I just added the switches and steering wheel button panels this week. Taking my '06 Base in to the tuner E30Cabrio recommended (Xact Dyno - Tempe, AZ) this weekend for the flash. I'll report back after that is all done; Tim had mentioned something about UpRev wanting to do something more like an "unlock" than a complete flash.

On the labor...(per icer5160's guide):
The pedal switches were very straight forward with the exception that there is a wiring harness where the plug on the clutch switch goes and its a bit awkward to get the harness plug in there.

The T-30 and center nut gave me the most issues on the steering wheel button panel install. Impact driver helped me wrap knock it out a little faster so I could get the hell out of my garage (garage in AZ hours after sundown...still probably 90+ degrees).

*update* flash is complete and cruise control is working as promised. I was told UpRev wanted an additional hour of tech support to perform and "unlock" vs. a full flash, so Tim @ Xact Dyno just did the same flash he did for E30Cabrio

Last edited by borgem; 07-27-2014 at 12:36 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-15-2015, 03:06 AM
The_Assassin

I have been trying to contact uprev for an entire week with no luck. Does anyone know which rom I need to enable cruise control?
Old 01-15-2015, 03:40 AM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Assassin
I have been trying to contact uprev for an entire week with no luck. Does anyone know which rom I need to enable cruise control?
It depends on the base model Rom your starting from.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:00 PM
The_Assassin

Originally Posted by ian99rt
It depends on the base model Rom your starting from.
I have a 2007 hr base. I tune on monday and still can't get in contact with them.

Quick Reply: DIY: 06+ Base with Cruise Control using Uprev + OEM Parts