Notices

350Z 06+ Cubby gauge pod/bracket

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 03:20 PM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts
Default 350Z 06+ Cubby gauge pod/bracket

Hello fellow Z owners!

I thought I would share some progress I've been making on a Gauge Mounting bracket for the 06-08 350Z center dash cubby. I started this project because I want to add an oil temperature sensor on my Z. I plan to start tracking the car, but I also want to keep using it as my daily driver. I don't like the look of the A-Pillar triple gauge pod mounts so I'm going for the cubby mount instead. After searching the internets for a while I quickly discovered no one makes a good, solid, mounting bracket for 06+ 350Zs that fits in the cubby. Everyone seems to be crafting their own brackets.

So...I started by drafting my design on paper and then had those drafts converted over to a 3D Cad drawing. Because I'm crazy and like options, I created two face designs. Note that both designs have incorporated a 15 degree angle of the gauges towards the driver's seat (LHD) so as to match the triple gauge pod at the top of the center dash.

Pictures...

(This is what I'm calling Face#1)

(This is what I'm calling Face #2)

Over the weekend I received my first 3D printed prototypes. Here are some photos of them...note I wanted them printed in black, but the print shop didn't have enough black PETg print media.

3D printed prototypes together.

Face#1 proto test fit in cubby.

Face#2 Proto Test fit in cubby.

The objective of this bracket is to house two 2 & 1/16" or 52mm standard sized gauges, maintain the factory fit and finish, and allow for the cubby lid to close. I plan to use two PLX Devices DM-100 gauges in the bracket since the depth of these gauges is only 0.7". This allows for plenty of space to route wiring and still be able to close the cubby lid. I've already test fit the gauges in both proto brackets and the fit is so good they almost snap into place. But with everyday driving, vibrations/bumps the gauges could still pop out. I plan to secure the gauges with "Grub Screws" on both the top and bottom of the face plate (hence the dimples or drill marks in the CAD drawing).

The bracket will be held into the cubby via magnets, because of this, the installation is kept as clean as possible. Aside from making a hole in the back corner floorplate of the cubby to route the wiring, no additional holes need to be drilled. You can simply replace the rubber mat in the cubby if/when you decide to remove your custom gauges.

Today, I dropped off both proto mounting brackets at an upholstery shop to have the front face/bracket laminated or wrapped in the same black felt material that lines the inside of the cubby. I could have done this myself, however I have no experience with wrapping/laminating things in cloth (especially felt), and I didn't want to make a mess of my shiny new prototypes. Hopefully I get the units back before New Years so I can begin the actual installation of the gauges.

3D printing is awesome. These brackets are incredibly strong. The print media is sand-able and paint-able. This is honestly the most effective way I could think of to create what I wanted for my Z at a relatively low cost.
The following users liked this post:
Ryan_vq35 (04-23-2020)
Old 12-19-2016, 04:21 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

thats pretty cool but how much will it run you? i made my own with 5 bucks worth of material and 5 min of time haha
Old 12-19-2016, 04:27 PM
icer5160

The CAD work has been the most expensive item so far ($150.00). But each print will only be around $30-$40.00. It all depends on how professional you want it to look. Me, I want something that's going to last and match the interior of the car (Form and Function).

I could have easily have just used some sheet metal screws and mounted my gauges right onto the dash or into the cubby. Which I see a lot of people out there doing.

Should I ever decide to sell the Z though, permanent modifications like drilling holes, gluing and cutting will make things a lot more difficult.

I suppose it's all a matter of personal opinion and budget. Me, I like things to look professional.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:34 PM
turboed350z

No drilling or glueing was used other than a hole for the wires.

No doubt yours is nicer but most people dont realizes mines home made with 5 bucks of material and some time.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:39 PM
icer5160

Looks good! But I noticed you have a pre-06 dash cubby, which is much easier to work with when making a custom gauge bracket. The 06+ design changed a lot of things, getting the fit right and finding a way to secure everything is a bigger p.i.t.a..
Old 12-19-2016, 04:43 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by icer5160
Looks good! But I noticed you have a pre-06 dash cubby, which is much easier to work with when making a custom gauge bracket. The 06+ design changed a lot of things, getting the fit right and finding a way to secure everything is a bigger p.i.t.a..
yea it is, no doubt. as ive said yours is no doubt much better and you do get what you pay but for 150 of what youve had in it so far, thats just too much for me. especially for just gauge mounts. if was 30 a print, then yea itll be worth it.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:16 PM
icer5160

Yeah, it's pricey and I plan to offer up the 3D print design to forum members who are interested for a small fee, or maybe offer a complete kit shipped. But nothing is certain yet, there could be some more minor polishing that needs to be done and I won't know for sure until I get to the final installation.

But you gotta think, I'm already spending a crazy amount of cash on the PLX gauges and oil temperature sensor, if I'm going in deep, I might as well go all the way.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:28 PM
turboed350z

Yeah, it's pricey and I plan to offer up the 3D print design to forum members who are interested for a small fee, or maybe offer a complete kit shipped. But nothing is certain yet, there could be some more minor polishing that needs to be done and I won't know for sure until I get to the final installation.

But you gotta think, I'm already spending a crazy amount of cash on the PLX gauges and oil temperature sensor, if I'm going in deep, I might as well go all the way.
Yea no doubt but i just find 150+ for some gauge pod is just ridiculous. Again just me. Very nice though. Person i could never do that, i would just go lcd screen for that price. But its too late to turn back now and if you do sell the kit or the blueprint, itll be worth it.
icer5160 (12-19-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 04:24 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

might want to check the rules, dont think you can mass sell on here without being a vendor. the guy that i bought my rear wiper delete from got dinged for doing it
icer5160 (12-20-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 10:22 AM
icer5160

Thanks for the heads up. I would of course make sure to comply with the rules. I don't expect to do any "mass" selling since this is really a niche market item.