Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Performance chips

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 04:14 PM
oz350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance chips

I`ve been doing a bit of reading and many of the mods in the US thus far have been giving small gains, eg: Most exhaust systems giving 5-8kw etc. There was a thread saying that the PCM ( computer) will be the biggest area of gain.

I currently have a Unichip on my HSV, which is a piggy back system altering timing and AFR`s (Fuel), this is done realtime on a dyno and gave me 17 kw at the wheels. The chip basically intercepts the signal and sends a false reading to the pcm and thus optimises fuel and timing. I am very curious how much gain I could get with a 350Z. Can`t wait to put it on.

See Here:

http://www.************************/unichip/unichip.htm

Results with a GTR:

http://www.************************/un.../gtr_rb26.html

Last edited by oz350; 12-06-2002 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:49 PM
apsilon

Sounds like a piggy back programmable ECU, a lot like the Link piggy back module.

If you're planning on doing any other mods (such as exhuast) do them first. That way the chip can be setup to take full advantage of the other mods.

Something to consider. Is this thing legal? Programmable ECUs are illegal (in NSW at least) and this is basically the same thing. Very very small chance of being caught but it could happen. Fines are big and in the case of an accident you're insurer could void your coverage.

Having said that let us know how it goes.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:37 AM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats why you buy a Apexi Power FC which is a full replacement ECU that uses all factory sensors and plugs, then take out the PCB board and place it into the orginal box.

Problem solved.

PS: The unit retails for about $2200 and I had one in my WRX. Unfortunatly it is only suited to the specific year and model of the car unlike the Unichip/Prochip can be used in nearly any car.

Cheers,
Michael
Old 12-08-2002, 09:51 PM
apsilon

Actually I think you'd find the RTA and/or the EPA would say the Apexi Power FC is illegal. You're tampering with the factory ECU, that's the issue.

BTW I'm all for these types of mods. Just like to let people know what they could be in for.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:05 PM
MR RIZK

Yes the Power FC will be illegal. But what they don't know won't hurt them. Thats why I said

"then take out the PCB board and place it into the orginal box"

I doubt very much that they will open the ECU as you could mention to them that this will void your warrenty and they will be liable.

Cheers,
Michael
Old 12-08-2002, 11:13 PM
apsilon

The EPA will open the ECU. I know.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:48 AM
MR RIZK

I'm not saying I'm correct but that is what I have noticed from friends and others I know. Have you experienced otherwise?

Please let us know so it is another fact to add to my memory bank for the future.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:06 AM
apsilon

Amongst the numerous times I've been pulled over by cops and RTA I've also been called into an EPA testing facility for noise pollution. I passed the test which must have PO'd the inspector so he started looking for other things to get me on. Other than the usual stuff they look for (pod filters etc) they decided to check out the ECU. Mine was "factory sealed" (important to know the right people) so they didn't bother opening it but they could've.

Somthing like the Apexi or a full programmable ECU is much more obvious.

This is in NSW. Don't know what the laws are like elsewhere. I'll admit the chances of being caught are slim at best, unless you get caught while out crusiing and they raid a car park. Just be ready for the consequences.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:04 PM
oz350

As soon as you touch the car it s deemed illegal by Nisssan, the guy at the show said to me any changes that are not Nismo will void warranty. Interesting.

My impression is that if you put an exhaust on it only voids that component not the whole car, unless you turbo or something, or open up the motor. Tampering with the chip will not be seen favourably by Nissan. Atleast the piggy back systems are not detectable by regular diagnostics and if it goes in for warranty you take the Unichip out.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:58 PM
MR RIZK

Fitting an exhaust will void the warrenty of the motor.

Cutting, Splicing or tamering with the wiring will void all electronic componentry within the vehicle. Don't ask me why they accept alarm installs then.

I bet that even if you buy a Nismo part that was not from your dealer you will also void the warrenty for the dependent part.

ie: Nismo Exhaust - Void motor