Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

350Z vs S2000

Old 01-02-2004, 06:26 AM
DavidM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z vs S2000

Today I met up with a friend who has an S2000. It's totally stock and with around 40,000km on it. I got him to take me for a spin through a 'nice' stretch of road just to see if feels as I remember. It was a beutifull evening so we had the roof of - love the 'roof off' feeling with the engine screaming :-). 1st thing I noticed is how crap the stereo sounds in the S2000 ... I was used to it while I had the car, but noneless, it's very poor. The seats are 'heaven' in the S2000 ... I love them. They fit so well and hold me so well.

Anyway, so he took me for a spin and the S2000 handles as well as I remember ... we took my 350Z through exactly the same piece of road and the S2000 always feels more nimble/chuckable (in particular around the round-abouts). It is a lot more 'fidgety' (ie. lively) at all times and you notice it in particular through the sweepers (as there was one that you took at around 90kph). The S2000 would fidget and move around a bit, while the 350Z would sit perfeclty flat through here.

Also once in the 'powerband' (ie. 6000rpm+), the S2000 always feels powerfull and quick. I never thought (while being a passanger) that the S2000 did not feel quick when used like that (ie. in the powerband) even though I've been driving the Zed for almost 2 months now. The sound from the engine/exhaust is still glorious and the car felt very quick ... just by feel, it did not feel any slower than my 350Z (with the hi-tech exhaust) ... that is when in the 6000rpm+ range. Bellow that the car certainly felt slower than the 350Z, but not painfully slow. I thought that by now I'd be used to the low-end torque of the 350Z, but I'd say that the S2000 still felt 'brisk' at even lower revs ... just not super-quick like my 350Z does at those revs now.

When we went for a spin in my 350Z after, I was plesantly surprised that my top-end power did not dissapoint me after the S2000. I figured that if the power tappers off at the top-end, then I'd definatelly feel it after getting out of the S2000 .... it was not the case. I was enjoying the upper revs of the Zed almost as much as in the S2000 (if not just as much). Thanks for hi-tech exhaust .... best $2k I ever spent on the car :-)

Afterwards we lined the two cars up for some side-by-side acceleration comparisions. We did not have much time (and the location was not the most suitable), so we really did just one rolling-start exercise, but we did it a couple of times to make sure that what we're seeing is accurate.

- run #1: 45 - 130kph, starting in 1st gear both cars:
We made sure to start the S2000 at 6000rpm (ie. ~45kph) as bellow that there's no doubt that the 350Z would win .... it's just a question of 'by how much'. 1st time we run, the S2000 started a fraction earlier and pulled about 1/3 car on me. Then through the 1st gear things looked very much even. On the 1st-to-2nd gear-change I jumped about 1 car ahead as my friend in the S2000 bounced off the limiter a bit. Then through the 2nd gear (ie. over ~65kph) I was pulling away and pulled another car-length before we changed to 3rd. After that (ie. over 100kph) I pulled maybe another car-lenght before we shut dowm at 130kph. So I was just over 2 car-engths ahead at the end.

- run #2: 45 - 120kph, starting in 1st gear both cars:
This time we took off at the same time and we were side by side through the whole 1st gear (ie. up to ~65kph) ... it looked like there was no difference between the two cars. Once we changed to 2nd gear (which we both did well as neither car jumped forward), I started pulling away at something like 2 - 3foot per second. I had about 1 car-length on him by the end of 2nd gear (ie. 100kph), and then pulled another 1/2 a car before we shut down at around 120kph. So at the end I was probably 1.5 car lengths ahead.

So, in summary I would say that:
- S2000 and 350Z+hitech are very much even through the 1st gear (when the S2000 is kept in it's powerband).
- 350Z+hitech is noticably quicker than the S2000 through the 2nd gear (even when the S2000 is in the powerband). The 350Z pulls about 1 car-length on the S2000 in the 2nd between 65 and 100kph.
- 350Z+hitech seems even more quicker through the 3rd gear than through the 2nd gear when compared to the S2000.
- In my pre/post hi-tech exhaust comparisions with the HSV R8 I concluded that I'm about 2-3 car-lengths quicker to 100kph with the exhaust than with the stock one. Going by that I'd say that the S2000 will beat a 'stock' 350Z to 100kph by 1 - 2 car-lengths as it will be quicker through both 1st and 2nd gear. In 3rd gear things would probably be more even, but I don't think the Zed would catch it until well into 4th gear (if at all).

Last edited by DavidM; 01-02-2004 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:41 AM
frosty

David, I've had a few runs with S2000's from the lights - And I don't find them to be a contender at all - particularly 0-100.
I'd hate to think that the situation to be otherwise!
2000 v 3500 - nearly double capacity and nowhere near double weight - WTF is going on?

FROZTY (see my predictions for 04 at "happy-----".
Old 01-02-2004, 03:41 PM
DavidM

David, I've had a few runs with S2000's from the lights - And I don't find them to be a contender at all - particularly 0-100.
I'd hate to think that the situation to be otherwise!

I bet that none of those 0-100kph runs saw the S2000 light up the rear tyres? Would that be a correct assumption on my part? If that is the case that your observations are correct as the S2000's 'weak spot' is bellow 45kph where it needs to climb through the 2000 - 6000rpm rev-range. In this range the S2000 is a lot slower than the 350Z (and a lot of other cars including S15 200SX, WRX etc). With a 'soft launch' (ie. off idle) the S2000 is good 1.5sec slower to 0-100kph than with a 'hard launch' (ie. spinning the wheels off the line). Zed is nowhere as handicaped with a 'soft launch' as it has power everywhere ... according to the US mags it only looses around 0.5sec of it's 'hard launch' 0-100kph time.

Though, if an S2000 lights up the rear tyres off the line, then it never ever drops bellow 6000rpm and it's a rocket off the line. WRXs have a hard time out-launching it off the line. Me and a different friend were able to clock our S2000's (ie. 2 of them) consistantly in the 5.8 - 6.2sec range for the 0-100kph when launched with a 'hard launch' (6.0 - 6.2 being the more common number). This was with one of those g-tech pro timers. I would not be surprised to see it out-launch a 350Z off the line as it carries 200kg less weight, has more rear-biased weight distribution (comapred to the Zed) and has wider rear tyres.

I'm pretty sure now that a stock 350Z is slower than an S2000 when bellow 100kph (and the S2000 is kept above 6000rpm). It felt like that to me all along, yesterday was more of a confirmation.

2000 v 3500 - nearly double capacity and nowhere near double weight - WTF is going on?

And you forgot that the S2000 has "85% of power" of a 350Z ... that's where it's speed lies. With the S2000 I had no problems staying with the HSV R8 with the S2000 when above 45kph. Witha hard-launch the HSV R8 only ever saw tail-lights. Same with 500SL ... quick car on the move, but off the line the S2000 destroyed it with a hard launch.

ps. I base most of what i say on the 'comparisions' that I've done with the the two cars. I've managed to do concise 'comparisions' with the S2000 against the HSV R8, '99 WRX (manual), S15 200SX, Elise, 500SL, and even the new STi as I have friends who have/had these at some stage. I've had the Zed against the same HSV R8 and that's probably the foundation of my findings. If you have a couple minutes spare (and you haven't seen it before), here's both the S2000 and Zed lined up with the R8:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=52921

Last edited by DavidM; 01-02-2004 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Flasher

Great reading, I always love your comparisons between our cars and inferior makes
Old 01-02-2004, 11:45 PM
frosty

Maybe I've been lucky to have just met a couple of wooses - I don't know about their rear traction - wouldn't "lighting them up" have REDUCED traction?
By the way, what's their rear tyre size?
And given their stated power output, surely it's got to be a very short peak? Note the z's exceptionally w i d e torque and hp delivery graphs.
At the end of the day, there's got to be something "fishy" in your experiences, I would think (?). Maybe Honda are pretty smart cookies?
Thanks for your comments, though.

FROZTY
Old 01-03-2004, 02:12 AM
DavidM

Maybe I've been lucky to have just met a couple of wooses - I don't know about their rear traction

You'd certainly know if the S2000 'lights up' the rear tyres because if done properly (ie. as it should), you need to drop the clutch from 6 - 7k rpm and then spin the wheels for good 10m (ie. until you're doing around 40 - 50kph).

...wouldn't "lighting them up" have REDUCED traction?

In the S2000 spinning the wheels is much better off than 'bogging down' in the sub 6k rpm rev-range. In the S2000 'lighting up' the rears resutls in rocketing the car forward .... I've never ever experienced spinning the wheels on once spot (ie. without moving) in the S2000. So the tyres do spin, but a lot of the engery is used up to propel the car forward. American mags do 'hard launch' measurments for the 0-60mph as well as 'street strart' for the 5 - 60mph . The 0-60mph (with a 'hard launch') is usually around 5.5sec, while the 5-60mph is around 7.0sec. So 1.5sec lost when in the 'undersirable' lower rev-range. On the other hand the 350Z is usually clocked at 6.0sec for the 5-60mph sprint. Big difference.

Though, even the 350Z benefits in it's launch when you 'light up' the rear tyres. You'll always be quicker if you spin the tyres off the line in the Zed compared to if you don't spin them at all. Interestingly enough, giving a few too many revs in the Zed will result in you spinning the rear tyres without moving much forward .... I've experienced it 1st hand, all you need is 4k rpm to be sitting there and not really moving forward.

By the way, what's their rear tyre size?

225/50/16. You might think that is thinner than the Zed's 245/45/18, but measuring the contact patch on the S2000 yealds 222mm, while 'only' 220mm on the Zed. I measured them myself with a ruller. The 235/40/18" on the HSV return 'only' around 215mm contact patch as well.

And given their stated power output, surely it's got to be a very short peak?

Short peak? I guess so as the peak is really between 7k and 9k rpm .... though, you never really drop bellow 6.0k (more like 6.5k) when you're 'racing' as there's a gear always avalable to keep you at 6.5k rpm+. The S2000's power curve looks like this (at the crank):
- 2000rpm = 34kW
- 3000rpm = 57kW
- 4000rpm = 77kW
- 5000rpm = 95kW
- 6000rpm = 120kW
- 6500rpm = 142kW
- 7000rpm = 154kW
- 8000rpm = 170kW
- 8500rpm = 176kW
- 9000rpm = 165kW

So you can see that if you keep it between 6.5k and 9k rpm, then there's plenty of power. The car allows you to never drop out from there if driven like it should be (ie. keeping the revs up high and always changig gears at the red-line).

Note the z's exceptionally w i d e torque and hp delivery graphs.

Yeah, absolutely, but when 'racing', then you practically never drop much bellow 5k rpm in the Zed. So, when 'racing', it's very much irrelevant what is bellow 5k rpm in the Zed. That's why there was a 'need' for me to get the hi-tech exhaust as now I have 'upper end' power while before it was dissapointing to me.

What there is bellow 5k rpm adds flexibility and makes for a lot less need to be up at the top. Ultimately, you still need to be at the 'top' if you want to extract all the performance from the Zed as bellow 3.5k rpm it's nowhere as quick as something like a 5.7L HSV.

At the end of the day, there's got to be something "fishy" in your experiences, I would think (?). Maybe Honda are pretty smart cookies?

Well, it appeal to true 'racers' who are willing to drive the car like a motorbike ie. never bellow 4k rpm and most of the time in the 6k - 8k rpm range. Most likely place to meet an S2000 like that is on the track where you will not see an STi pass it on the straight (ie. they are well matched).

If you are not willing to do that in the S2000, then you are not going to be going anywhere that fast. And there are plenty of people like that and then they wonder why they are getting dragged off by V6 Commodores.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:46 PM
frosty

PHARK! David, are you a motoring writer? Where'd you get so much info? Are you happy with the Zed sled?

SEEMS:
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2004, 03:57 PM
DavidM

PHARK! David, are you a motoring writer? Where'd you get so much info?

LOL :-) No, I am not a motoring writer, but I am pretty confident I know more about cars then they do (which is not a hard thing to do). It's just years and years of reading/watching (and to some degree experience) everything I can get my hands on (which I still do), reasearch and asking 'stupid' questions (which you seem do here often :-). Cars have been a hobby of mine ever since I can remember and I had the S2000 for almost 3 years so I've gathered a lot of info/information on the car. I'm hoping to do the same with the Zed.

Are you happy with the Zed sled?

Yep, especially the hitech exhaust was put on. I feel like I'm driving a different car to the one I bought .... or at least one with a totally diffrent engine. I'm enjoying the car very much, and my next 'project' is to tame the under-steer (which is at the moment my only real 'beef' that I still have with the car .... rest are just details).

I can't wait to take the car to the track.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:12 PM
ottonove

glad to know the zed is strong against the s2000, which was actually my first preference over the zed, but my gf didnt like the s2k so I bought the zed instead. dont get me wrong tho,I still love the zed but in a diff way..
anyway, thost HiTech exhaust seen to be the way to go, do you guys know if it has to be made to order or is it usually in stock??
love to get it done this coming week
btw, what price should I expect to cost??
Old 01-03-2004, 05:35 PM
Scandrew

I am trying to convince my brother to get the Hi-Tech exhaust after reading quite a lot about it through these forums about its gains. It's my brothers Zed, but I have to do the research for him as he isn't 'great' with computers and the internet.

He's wondering whether if it is worth the $1800 or so.

We're in Sydney, Chester Hill 2162, maybe if someone with the Hi-Tech exhaust fitted to their Zed is interested in meeting up let me know and maybe we can organise something.

Old 01-03-2004, 06:42 PM
harryw

Scandrew/Ottonove, the system is well and truly worth the $1760 fitted. The car sounds and goes like it should have from the start.

They do usually keep them in stock but you should check with Hi Tech on 9332 3524.

Sorry I cant help you with the meet unless you want to take a drive up to sunny Newcastle!

As always

H
Old 01-03-2004, 08:51 PM
DavidM

He's wondering whether if it is worth the $1800 or so.

If you get it for $1800 fitted, than that's great ... I'd count on more like $2,000 as that is what it cost me all up.

As far as 'being worth it' goes, to me the car is only 1/2 the car without it.

Last edited by DavidM; 01-03-2004 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Scandrew

How'd it cost you approx. $2000 all up?
Old 01-03-2004, 10:40 PM
DavidM

How'd it cost you approx. $2000 all up?

- $1550 for the parts (ie. the exhaust)
- $150 for the GST
- $100 for the delivery
- $160 for the fitting

So, in total just under $2000 all up.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:22 PM
zuff

Hi-tech in Sydney will fit it for 100 bucks.

Take it to the shop, go for coffee and in an hour you'll get a call to pick up the car.

I'm happy to show off my car but you'll have to come to the Ryde area if you want to see it. PM me if you're still interested.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:48 AM
ottonove

Originally posted by zuff
Hi-tech in Sydney will fit it for 100 bucks.

Take it to the shop, go for coffee and in an hour you'll get a call to pick up the car.

I'm happy to show off my car but you'll have to come to the Ryde area if you want to see it. PM me if you're still interested.
do they usually keep them in stock (darlinghurst shop)? or order in?
Old 01-04-2004, 12:06 PM
harryw

Originally posted by harryw

They do usually keep them in stock but you should check with Hi Tech on 9332 3524.

As always

H
Old 01-04-2004, 03:12 PM
ottonove

just rang lambros and they do hv it in stock!! great!!

now Im thinking if I should get a baseline dyno done before I install the exhaust... but the place that I ususlly use will not hv the dyno ready until next week, and I want to do the exhaust in the next few days...
I loved to see what gain I get from the exhaust, but I too want the exhaust asap..
decision decision...

or maybe I go to another place this time to check the gain, then do another baseline with the exhaust back to the workshop I will be using......
Old 01-04-2004, 04:46 PM
DavidM

now Im thinking if I should get a baseline dyno done before I install the exhaust...

It would be great if you did that (ie. before and after dyno). Just go to the same place for the both runs as otherwise the figures/excercise will be useless.

We can never have enough results/documentation for stuff like this :-)
Old 01-04-2004, 08:59 PM
ottonove

wheres a good place to dyno the car near the city??
or chastwood area??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 350Z vs S2000