Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

UNICHIP and the 350Z HUGE power gains

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 11:33 PM
APS
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mchapman
He posted an addition 11kw if you already had the APS exhaust, which by itself gets 3kw more than the HiTech one and it has more power and torque all the way accross the dyno chart.

So if a HT can get 18kw + 3kw = 21kw + 11kw = Possible ~32rwkw

If you got both their cat back exhaust and the Unichip.
Mate I am confused regarding the 18 kW claim for the H/T cat back exhaust system............where did this power figure originate from? I dont believe for a moment that any cat back system is going to add an additional 18kW of power to the Z engine.

Peter

APS
Old 06-23-2004, 12:08 AM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter,

From earlier threads you mentioned that the UNICHIP will not be used on the APS TT kit so if I buy the UNICHIP will there be any refund/exchange if you buy the APS TT kit?

Will the UNICHIP be spliced or have a Y plug ?

Is the UNICHIP the same as all other UNICHIP modules? ie: If I have one from my WRX days then I could use that with a base map supplied by APS?

Cheers,
Michael
Old 06-23-2004, 12:14 AM
Flasher

Originally posted by APS
Mate I am confused regarding the 18 kW claim for the H/T cat back exhaust system............where did this power figure originate from? I dont believe for a moment that any cat back system is going to add an additional 18kW of power to the Z engine.

Peter

APS
I think this is the biggest gain seen from the HiTech Click for kw
Old 06-23-2004, 12:17 AM
ypwpat

Peter,

Is removing the ECU as easy as Plug and Play?

Just in case might take it off when going to Nissan Service and put it after the service
Old 06-23-2004, 12:17 AM
MR RIZK

Wasn't some of these pulls in 4th though ?
Old 06-23-2004, 12:39 AM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by Flasher
I think this is the biggest gain seen from the HiTech Click for kw
Mate that is very interesting info and I am really confused by that power claim as the Z car we tested (with a H/T cat back system) had a maximum power reading of 154 RWkW's (and we did 3 power runs) and the lowest power reading was 152 RWkW's.

I find it incredible that a cat back exhaust system can produce 18 kW's of additional power over the stock exhaust system (if that's true it would be the biggest power gain from a N/A engine I have ever heard of from a cat back exhaust in my life time) remember the cats or stock exhaust manifolds have not been replaced with high flow cats or headers.

I can't believe that a stock Z car made 175 RWkW's with only a cat back system, in my view something fishy is going on here (maybe the fuel pumps in Sydney have 100 RON fuel).

Peter

APS
Old 06-23-2004, 12:50 AM
Flasher

Originally posted by MR RIZK
Wasn't some of these pulls in 4th though ?
I think your correct. Can't remember exactly though.
Every H/T exhaust fitted has gained at least 15 RWkW.
Thats a fact.
I gained 6RWkW from adding cats to a stock exhaust.
APS setup looks like its made really well, I just wonder if it will sound as good as a HiTech.
Either way its promising

Last edited by Flasher; 06-23-2004 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:50 AM
harryw

Peter, mine got about the same increase in power!

Perhaps there is something they're not telling us about the fuel in Newcastle too??

As always

H
Old 06-23-2004, 01:15 AM
ypwpat

Octane Booster!!!
Old 06-23-2004, 01:34 AM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by harryw
Peter, mine got about the same increase in power!

Perhaps there is something they're not telling us about the fuel in Newcastle too??

As always

H
Well all that matters is you believe what you have been told I for one like to see more factual engineering data based on a number of Z cars with the same exhaust system to prove this one way or the other. I very much doubt that the REAL/HONEST gain will be more than 10 kW's at the tyres.

If there are any Melbourne forum members who have this H/T cat back exhaust fitted to a Z car please send me a PM if you would like a free dyno test on your car.

Yeah maybe this issue is only relevant to NSW.

Peter

APS
Old 06-23-2004, 01:38 AM
mchapman

Peter, dont compare the numbers between different dynos and different cars. Compare results from the same dyno and the same car. You said yourself you dont have a dyno of the car you used with a stock exhaust on.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=60106

Here are all the posted dyno results from some of the people in this forum. But the ones in shootout mode will return slightly higher overall results. There were some issues with the Croydon dyno and Harrys was in 4th instead of 5th, but if you look at them all, you can at least get 15rwkw.

I dont think mentioning REAL/HONEST was necessary. Look at the dyno charts there are several there from different locations on different dynos. You havnt even showed one dyno chart.

Last edited by mchapman; 06-23-2004 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:54 AM
zuff

The dyno being link to above is my dyno from Croydon! You all should know that it was done in 5th gear and that it was the SAME car on the SAME dyno. (ie it was done properly)

If you remember even I thought Jim at Croydon had messed it up somehow but i took it back and it still gives out 170rwkw. I dynod twice at 149rwkw and 151rwkw when stock.

Peter, you might want to chat with Jim if you think he's telling tall tales with his dyno! God knows we thought so at first too.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:03 AM
MR RIZK

My Amuse made 14.2 Kw at Croyden (not in shootout mode)

Mod's - K&N Panel Filter Drop-In
Km's - 12,500
Temp - 21 Deg C (According to temp guage in car)
Run - 5th Gear
Tire Pressure - 38 PSI

You can see the graphs here which include A/F LINK
Old 06-23-2004, 02:10 AM
zuff

good point Rizk! Shootout software wasn't installed whn I dynoed the car.

That POS made every car look like it ran on 110 octane.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:12 AM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by zuff

If you remember even I thought Jim at Croydon had messed it up somehow but i took it back and it still gives out 170rwkw. I dynod twice at 149rwkw and 151rwkw when stock.

Peter, you might want to chat with Jim if you think he's telling tall tales with his dyno! God knows we thought so at first too.
Mate I know Jim very well as I am not suggesting he is not honest, maybe the Z we tested has very low power as delivered from the factory, because if what you guys are saying is correct(15 kW's from fitting the H/T exhaust system only) the car we tested would have only a 138 kW's as a stock car from the Nissan factory.

APS measured the Z car in shoot 6 software and the APS dynamometer is calibrated monthly. None of this makes any sense to me it's like saying 2+2=6, I do not believe that a cat back exhaust only will produce 15 kW's of additional power on the Z car, though I will do all in my power to clarify this issue.

Peter

APS
Old 06-23-2004, 02:19 AM
mchapman

We await your findings. Maybe next time find out a baseline before you comment on other peoples honesty etc.

Last edited by mchapman; 06-23-2004 at 02:23 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:26 AM
zuff

Peter, if you want me to put the car on the dyno again at Croydon i'd be happy to do it. God knows I'm itching to put on a UNICHIP like everyone else... if not more so.

I've had this car since Feb 03. There was nothing out there for the Zed in those days.

Anyway... the offer stands! In fact i'd be happy to put on the Unichip if it proves to have power on the Dyno here at Croydon. PM me if you need another car to test on.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:32 AM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by mchapman
We await your findings. Maybe next time find out a baseline before you comment on other peoples honesty etc.
Mate I have plenty of base line power readings from stock Z cars (on 98 RON fuel) that's why I find these power claims really strange. I have a real good idea what's going on here though I will keep this to myself until I have more time to investigate. By the way if you don't hold/tie the car down well on the dyno you can easily get a false power reading (high power measurement) and this false power measurement can be up to 15kW's at the tyres. As a matter of interest what do you guys think the stock power is for a Z car on a DD dynamometer.

Peter

APS

Last edited by APS; 06-23-2004 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:34 AM
sundog

Peter, you've been PM'ed, let me know.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:44 AM
mchapman

Originally posted by APS
Mate I have plenty of base line power readings from stock Z cars (on 98 RON fuel) that's why I find these power claims really strange. I have a real good idea what's going on here though I will keep to to myself until I have more time to investigate. By the way if you don't hold/tie the car down well on the dyno you can easily get a false power reading (high power measurement) and this false power measurement can be up to 15kW's at the tyres. As a matter of interest what do you guys think the stock power is for a Z car on a DD dynamometer.

Peter

APS

Obviously the people tuning a 350z TT would have baselines but you said yourself you didnt have a baseline of the car you tested with the HT exhaust? That is what I was refering to.

Quick Reply: UNICHIP and the 350Z HUGE power gains