Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Which tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 04:15 AM
KY350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Azenis RT215 - looks like you may be lucky to get 10,000km out of these, but i'm sure they will be as stick as the pages of a tenagers Playboy mag.

BTW, has anyone heard anything about the Goodyear F1 GS D3 tyres. This appears to be the top of the line ultra high performance tyre made by Goodyear. I checked their aussie web site and low and behold they sell the exact OEM spec tyre for the 350Z Touring, right down to the load ratings.
I read some reports on comparisons with Michelin Pilot Sports and SO3 where the F1 came out on top or placed very highly.
I also rang a dealer about these and they cost slightly more that the OEM Predenza's but significantly less than the Pilot Sports.

I now have a new leader for my replacement tyres.

Murray - just noticed that the F1 was the Goodyear tyre in the tyre test you posted. So in reality, it probably won't have the outright capabilities of the Pilot Sports, but should be sufficient for my requirements and better than the OEM Pretenza's. I also read that they provide reasonable ride comfort and good noise levels, which are also important to me.

Last edited by KY350; 06-30-2004 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:52 AM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KY350,

This is the tyre:
Attached Thumbnails Which tyres?-eagle_1_img.jpg  
Old 06-30-2004, 04:56 AM
mchapman

They were expensive at the time.
Attached Thumbnails Which tyres?-eagle_1_txt.jpg  
Old 06-30-2004, 05:07 AM
KY350

Originally posted by mchapman
They were expensive at the time.
Murray - where did this review come from?
Old 06-30-2004, 05:25 AM
DavidM

Well I dont know if its common. Common in the your circles maybe.

Most people who had S02s, have probably concluded that themselves. Also most dealears will freely disclose that information as well. I'd say that if you strat asking around, then you'll start hearing it from a lot of different sources. I was just recently reading a cool article from a guy with an STi who frequents Nurburging often. He just happened to mention that he tried the S03s at one stage and they just did not perform to his expectations and had to look for something 'better'.... but he looks for top notch grip/perfromance and that's all he was judging them by.

Maybe its just the photo but they look like they peel up towards the edge of the grooves.

Here's another pic http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...re70_ci1_l.jpg

Azenis RT-215 have a nice groove pattern, or any of the semi slick tyres look great. http://www.falkentire.com/tires/azsprt_info.jpg

I had those once. Though, they are not R-spec tyre even though they look like one. They do not offer anymore grip than the S02s ... I could only match the S02 lap-times with the RT215s. Also they became really slippery once they had around 9,000km on them.

Their main advantage was the thread design as that is very 'track friendly' and they do not shrear that badly on the track (even when new). Also they do not overheat as much as tyres like S02s or P-Zeros. But I'd rate the S02s superior in almost every respect. When the RT215s were new, their grip levels were about the same (or maybe a fraction better) than the S02s, but as they wore down their grip level was reduced dramaticaly. Last of all they only lasted be 12,000km .... which is not much at all considering their grip level. As a track tyre they were better .... but not because of their grip.

ps. I've also heard good thinkgs about the Dunlop Formula FM901 tyres. They are meant to be very good as well and could be worthwile considering as an S03 comptetion.

... Goodyear F1 GS D3 tyres.... I read some reports on comparisons with Michelin Pilot Sports and SO3 where the F1 came out on top or placed very highly.

If I remember correctly, that was about 1.5years ago in one of the UK mags. The 'test car' was a Ford Focus RS ... which is a high-power front wheel drive. Looks like they performed very well on that car.

The test posted here is from one of the local mags, and the 'test car' was a Falcon XR6 (not Turbo). There ws also another tyre test after that where they had Monaro CV8-R comapring 245/40/18 tyres. The results are always very car dependant, but you'll always see the same tyres towards the top (even if not plaing), but in terms of performance.

Last edited by DavidM; 06-30-2004 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:38 AM
KY350

Just saw this review (one of over 400) and copied it as this reviewer previously had REO40's on his BMW 330Ci. So it appears the small additional spend over the Predendza's may be worthwhile.

QUOTE:
"I replaced my original Bridgestone RE-040 18" with these and have been very happy with them. They have awesome traction and feel. The sidewalls seem softer than the RE040s, so I tend to keep the tires a bit higher in pressure to stiffen them up. I run the fronts at 34.5 and the backs at 39. You cant beat these tires in the rain. Ive also had unexpected complements... These tires look great -- people notice the distinct tread pattern and comment on it often... Would buy again. -- Review Submitted 2004-06-11"
Old 06-30-2004, 04:55 PM
mchapman

Originally posted by DavidM
Most people who had S02s, have probably concluded that themselves. Also most dealears will freely disclose that information as well. I'd say that if you strat asking around, then you'll start hearing it from a lot of different sources.

I know what your saying but if you've had to own both or speak to dealers and ask around then its not really common knowledge is it? If you dont know and your out looking for the answer...

I had those once. Though, they are not R-spec tyre even though they look like one. They do not offer anymore grip than the S02s ... I could only match the S02 lap-times with the RT215s. Also they became really slippery once they had around 9,000km on them.

Yeah i was going to get them on another car because they look great and are street legal, but they only had limited sizes.

Their main advantage was the thread design as that is very 'track friendly' and they do not shrear that badly on the track (even when new). Also they do not overheat as much as tyres like S02s or P-Zeros. But I'd rate the S02s superior in almost every respect. When the RT215s were new, their grip levels were about the same (or maybe a fraction better) than the S02s, but as they wore down their grip level was reduced dramaticaly. Last of all they only lasted be 12,000km .... which is not much at all considering their grip level. As a track tyre they were better .... but not because of their grip.

This is good to know, I heard their wet performance is a bit low. I guess that goes without saying, but did you experience this?

ps. I've also heard good thinkgs about the Dunlop Formula FM901 tyres. They are meant to be very good as well and could be worthwile considering as an S03 comptetion.

Will try to keep in mind around next tyre buy time. Wont be for a while as my S03s arent being used at the moment and I wont be on again for at least another 3months, then I have to wear them down.

Last edited by mchapman; 06-30-2004 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:24 PM
DavidM

I know what your saying but if you've had to own both or speak to dealers and ask around then its not really common knowledge is it?

lol :-) Fair enough.

RT215 - This is good to know, I heard their wet performance is a bit low. I guess that goes without saying, but did you experience this?

In the wet (just like dry) they were just as good as any other 'high perfromance' tyres that I've had. That is when new. Once they got to around 9,000km (or so), they lost grip dramatically ... and that is not just in the wet, but also in the dry.

Though, I've never tried them in deep standing water, but more the usual Melbourne weather.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:32 PM
mchapman

Originally posted by KY350
Murray - where did this review come from?

That was from the same tyre test.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:22 PM
KY350

OK - after approximately 25hr of internet investigation into the Goodyear F1 GS D3 tyre, I have decided this will be my next tyre for the Z.

I read over 500 reviews on this tyre. Generally speaking, the great number of reviews on tyres over the internet tend to be negative as dissapointed purhcasers will vent their frustration at anyone that cares to listen (go and find some reviews on the RE040, like I did, to understand this - LOL). However, about 95% of the reviews on the GS D3 were positive.

The positives were:
1. Excellent dry performance
2. Unbeatable wet performance
3. Good ride comfort for an ultra high performance tyre
4. Low noise for an ultra high performance tyre
5. Good cornering ability
6. Very hood handling ability
7. Very good treadlife for an ultra high performance tyre
8. Low cost for an ultra high performance tyre

The few negatives were:
1. Dry and wet performance may deteriorate slightly as the tyre approaches it wear indicator bars (as it does in just about every other tyre)
2. Steering response is mushy / squishy compared to Pilot Sports / SO2's.
3. Noise levels may increase with increasing treadwear.

See the following links for a comparions of GS D3 with SO3 and Pilot Sports 2 and another between GS D3 with RE050A and Pilot Sports. These comparions were done on a rear wheel drive BMW 330Ci (similar size / weight as 350Z and just slightly less power, so it may be the best comparison for a 350Z).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/mi_ps2_nextGen.jsp
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_RE050A_rd.jsp

After reading each comparison, be sure to click on "View Test Results Graph" for an excellent graphical representation of each tyres capabilities.

The Wheels (or was it Motor) tyre test contradicts these results where dry performance is measured and I don't know why that is. I can speculate that the XR6 tyres are too narrow for the approximately 1700kg's it has to carry, but the other tyres managed ok on the Falcon.
In the US, the guys with heavy V6's and V8's tend to run wider wheel / GS D3 combo's (WS6's with 315cm wide rears!!!), than our Falcons are delivered with, and they report dry grip to be outstanding.

Looking at the results of the comparison with the SO3's, RE050A's and Pilot Sports 2's, the GS D3 is not an outright winner in each catagory. The other tyres have it beat in certain criteria, but the GS D3 holds it own also, beating the others in some areas and always excelling in others. In fact if money was not a consideration, I'd be buying Michelin Pilot Sports 2. But at $550 - $600 per corner (for 17" wheels), it does not represent good value for money.
The GS D3's ranked a close 2nd overall to the Michelins in both comparisons and at half the price of the Michelins, they represent a great value for money proposition.

Please let it be clear that I am in no way endorsing that others buy the GS D3 for your Z's. I will put them on my car and am happy to be the guinea pig and report my observations of this tyre at a later date.

PS - GO THE GREEKS AND GO THE BLUES.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:44 PM
KY350

My front tyres have approximately 50% treadlife left. As I will be swapping tyres soon, I will be happy to give away my Pretendza front tyres (225/50R17). If anyone wants them please let me know.
You would have to get to the tyre dealer to collect them on the day that I have my tyres replaced.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:28 PM
zuff

sent you a PM... if i can't find a use at least the kids will have a tyre for the swing and sand pit!
Old 07-05-2004, 03:46 AM
KY350

K
Old 07-06-2004, 01:40 AM
4WSboy

Originally posted by KY350
K
Very late contribution...

I am very happy with my Yokohamas AVS Sport.(18")

The old 17" Potenzas are still going strong after 22000K.

Used em hard at Wakefield while some other guy's tyres got stuffed...especially the cheaper Falkens.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:34 PM
harryw

Hey Guys, I need some help (no smart comments please).

Im looking at the Goodyear F1 GS D3's.

In 18 inch they come in 245/40's.

Two things, will the change in profile make any difference, and, would it be OK to put 245's all round?

Any help woul dbe appreciated.

As always

H
Old 07-08-2004, 09:10 PM
KY350

Hi Harry - the short answer is no and the explanation is below.

You are alowed to increase or decrease wheel / tyre size by no more than 15mm from OEM sizes. If you put 245/40R18 on the rear, then this combo will be 25mm less than stock 245/45R18, so no go.

Go to http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html and enter you stock sizes and then enter the size tyres you want to put on the car. Then ensure that the result is no more than +/- 15mm from stock. After that, then ring a tyre shop and tell them what you want to do and they will look up the sizes in there book and also confirm whether your new combo is appropriate.

I'll send you a PM now.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:29 PM
zuff

Won't VDC get stuffed up too? It expects to see the smaller diameter in the front!
Old 07-08-2004, 09:55 PM
DavidM

In 18 inch they come in 245/40's. Two things, will the change in profile make any difference, and, would it be OK to put 245's all round?

I have 245/40/18 tyres all around on my spare wheels.

By putting 245/40/18 at the back, you will increase your speedo error by ~4% That means that if your speed is showing 100kph when you're doing 100kph at the moment, with the 245/40/18 at the back you will be seeing 100kph on the speedo when you're doing 96kph.

As far as VDC goes, I did not have any issues with 245/40/18" all around in normal driving (taht is with it on or off). On the track I always had it off, and when pushing real hard, the VDC would try and 'interfere'. Though, I had the same issue with the OE tyres at DECA.

ps. I'm not aware of any legal issues/problems (so I guess call your insurance).
Old 06-16-2006, 07:38 PM
Iain Bonnes

Just for my input. I have the 2004 Track, with original OEM, Portenzas, and I have 35,000 on the clock, still legal and gripping. About to replace the full set, as they have worn evenly. No feathering to note, and the alignment is spot on.
And true, there aren't many brands have the size and load rating to meet Insurance, you just go to do the research.