Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Variable Valve Timing Fault

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 09:44 PM
MMS50L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Variable Valve Timing Fault

I took my car to Nissan Dealer whom I purchased the car new from with only 2000 klm's on the clock and NO mods done. I told the service manager that I suspected a variable valve timing control problem as there were very loud mechanical noises "intermittently" coming from motor. Dealer couldn't find a fault?

Last week, 10 months later, mods done include extractors, cats, and cold air induction, the vvtc shat itself. I am being told that the vvtc solenoid has gone and the top of the motor has to come off? Car would not idle, as if a fuel filter problem was the cause? But ran roughly. I did notice a substantial lack of "punch" a few weeks ago, but it fixed itself? Car is off the road for a while while dealer, North Shore, fixes it (under warranty) My original dealer would not touch the car as it had "been" modified? This same dealer wont honour the "extra" warranty I purchased as I had another dealer perform one service?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:10 PM
sundog

What were the mechanical noises like? I had a 200SX and supposedly the SR20DET engines could get VVT problems with components able to generate a clattering noise until the oil pressure was high enough to cushion the two surfaces, only at cold start mind you.

I have a similar noise now from my Z when the oil has cooled and drained out. Only at ignition and only for a second or two but its really quite noticable and a bit embarrasing if people are close by. Here's this expensive sports car sounding like a 10 year Suzuki Mighty Boy.

I have always suspected the VVT on the Z because the noise is identical to the 200SX

Jim
Old 08-13-2004, 11:36 PM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me guess. Was it the Crows Nest service dept. ?
Old 08-14-2004, 12:16 AM
Perth 350z

I also have an occassional cold morning start-up "rattle" car's 12 months old with 19K - souds similar to the old timing chain rattle - Happens probably once a week
Old 08-14-2004, 01:17 AM
Zdownunder

MMS, you need to talk to trading standards or whatever the rieght department is in your area. It is illegal to refuse warranty due to servicing elsewhere - or at least that was the case a few short years ago.

Mind you, if you force the issue it makes me wonder how much help they'll be!

Bloody bad luck - any other symptoms on top of what you've already mentioned?
Old 08-14-2004, 06:46 PM
MMS50L

Jim,
The clatterring noise describes it. Very loud, seems to emmanate from the bell housing when you are driving. My noise would come when car was warm and after I had revved it past approx. 5,000rpm.
The cutting out and idling roughly only started last week.

Newbie,
The "extra" warranty & Wynns paint treatment was a dealer specific product (when you read the fine print), it wasn't a Nissan product. My fault for not reading into it. But beware. I thought it ridiculous that in 6 years of warranty you be in a position to have the car serviced at the one dealer! Ridiculous. They advised me in writing that my extended warranty (cost $1500.00) had been cancelled as I had the car serviced elsewhere. Whilst interstae mind you.

Mr Rizk,
No, a dealer in the Campbelltown area.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:00 PM
frosty

MMS50L - I have good reason to know that what I'm about to say is 100% RIGHT.

The "extended" warranty that you got for free (or at least it should be free" everyone i know that gets it pays nought) - I know the people behind it also. It's a "come on" to get you to the service department for on-going revenue - it pays for itself hansomely over the years! ! ! Get my meaning ! ! !

BECAUSE YOU CAN GET YOUR Z SERVICED ANYWHERE WITHOUT VOIDING WARRANTY - It even says so if I remember rightly in the booklet. Licensed repairers only would be the safe course to follow, though.

This "warranty" has serious "per claim" limitations - usually $2000 is the max.

BUT IF THE PROBLEM CAN BE TRACED TO INCORRECT OR FAULTY SERVICING by third parties, then of course the person responsible must fix - you can't expect Nisshit to pick up the tab for someone else's stuff-up.

AS WE ALL KNOW, NISSHIT DOESN'T WANT TO HONOUR THEIR O W N RESPONSIBILITIES!

Note the adv on tv - is it Mobile Mechanic? - they even SAY that they're servicing your car does'nt void warranty.

I purchased a NISSHIT extended warranty - something like $840 and extends the orig warranty a further two years or 50000k.

Unlimited claim value. But car must be "regularly serviced" - nothing about by WHOM.

Now when it comes to modifications affecting warranty, IT HAS TO BE ESTABLISHED BY THE DEALER that the MOD HAS BEEN RESPONSIBLE for the problem, oc conversely if the dealer is looking to be an ****, you would have to prove that the mod didn't contribute to the prob. i.e. - get NRMA report or go to Consumer protection tribunals. That'll cost you nothing and the dealer a whole day lost - and egg on his moosh 'caus he'll probably have to fix!

"nuff for now, need any more, just ask.

OH! and by-the-way - NISSHIT AUS has finally issued a TSB re the tyre roar problem!

All the crap about it only being a "overseas problem" commen r-soles the bluddy lot of "em ! ! ! !

FRIZZLE

Last edited by frosty; 08-14-2004 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:14 AM
zuff

Well said! I think more highly of a bog I leave behind in the bathroom than for Nissan Service...or the lack of it.

They make me want to sell the car every time I talk to one (not often), thank God driving the Zed is enough to cure my urge for payback.

Now if only Toyota can bring out the Supra with a turbo six... Now i'm thinking!
Old 08-15-2004, 12:19 AM
scathing

I know the feeling.

I've had dash rattles, and every time I take it in to get it "fixed"...not only is the rattle still there, but I pick up a new one.

Words can't express how pissed off I'm feeling with them at the moment. I might try another Nissan dealer, but I will be making a call to my novated lease company, and see if I can take my car elsewhere for servicing.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:36 PM
MMS50L

My car is still off the road, since the 14/8/2004 Apparently, the Vvtc solenoid has to come from Japan and still isn't here????????? Am I being fed a line????????
Old 08-25-2004, 10:17 PM
zuff

sounds right....they come in a ship from what I was told. Then are distributed to all dealers.

Ie..they aren't ordering your part per se, they are just waiting for the item to come in with the next parts batch.

I'd ask them to give you an arrival date from their parts tracker.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:41 AM
MR RIZK

Originally posted by MMS50L
My car is still off the road, since the 14/8/2004 Apparently, the Vvtc solenoid has to come from Japan and still isn't here????????? Am I being fed a line????????
Just remember that Japan 2 week holiday just finished on Monday I think.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:48 AM
KY350

You're not being lied to. Nissan Aust does not carry very many parts in the country - too expensive.
Nissan will order replacement parts on an as needs basis. I had to wait several weeks for my diff to be replaced as it had to come from overseas. Luckily for me the car was still driveable so I maintained my means of transport.

2 weeks without the car is bad, but what really sux is not knowing when your car will be fixed.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:28 AM
nuff

From my expirience it takes around 2 weeks for the parts to come in from japan.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:13 AM
MR RIZK

Originally posted by nuff
Then my part came in by carrier pigeon becuase it came in about 5 days from Nissan Japan.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:59 PM
zuff

Are you sure it didn't come from interstate?
Old 08-26-2004, 06:13 PM
WhiteZed

Originally posted by nuff
i got a part in about 9 days or something from japan ...

mitsubishi was between 6 weeks to 10 weeks - 15 weeks

depends if the guys bothered calling you to tell you it was there
or if they could find it once they had it ...

if its coming interstate nissan say overnight ...
which would explain the expenciveness of spare parts

i would say 3 days tops if they have there **** together ..

depends on the size of the part ..
Old 08-29-2004, 05:55 PM
MMS50L

Getting car back tomorrow morning!

The following having been replaced:
1 Computer
Vvtc Solenoid/s?
4 x Camshafts
Old 08-29-2004, 06:17 PM
ypwpat

4 camshaft? Should have get the Nismo Camshaft and ask them to put this on instead
Old 08-29-2004, 06:33 PM
scathing

Some dealers are quite hesitant about putting non-Nissan gear in, even if it is Nismo equipment.

I found that some actually sell gear from the Nismo catalog, and will cover it under the warranty, but others won't. That was for bolt-ons, I'm not sure if cams and the like would be covered.

Quick Reply: Variable Valve Timing Fault