Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Cheap Toluene and Xylene

Old 08-18-2004, 10:40 PM
nuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Toluene and Xylene

Is there any place in sydney (or australia) where it's possible to get cheap toluene and xylene?
Old 08-18-2004, 11:44 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toluene (also known as toluol or methylbenzene) and xylene (also known as xylol or dimethylbenzene) are aromatic hydrocarbons found around the home in paints, paint and varnish removers, degreasers, cleaners, lacquers, glues, nail polish, and cement. Because of their excellent ability to dissolve substances, they are often used in insecticides and other pesticides to dissolve the active ingredient. Toluene and xylene are volatile, flammable, and toxic.

Toluene and xylene are irritating to the skin and respiratory tract and may cause liver damage. These aromatic hydrocarbons enter your system through inhalation and ingestion, but are poorly absorbed by the skin. The target organs attacked by toluene and xylene are the central nervous system, eyes, liver, kidneys, and skin. Toluene and xylene are narcotic in high concentrations. Intentional inhaling of these substances can cause headache, giddiness, and a transient euphoria followed by depression. Hallucinations may occur, especially following chronic exposure. Neurological damage occurs from concentrated inhalation of these fumes. Symptoms include fatigue, weakness, confusion, headache, tearing, nervousness, muscular fatigue, insomnia, dermatitis, an intolerance of light.

So what will you be using them for? Cleaning or a good time?

Last edited by mchapman; 08-18-2004 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:47 PM
nuff

well, they are the cheapest way of increasing Octane level in petrol. But hallucinogen sounds good to me
Old 08-18-2004, 11:51 PM
mchapman

Sounds like it could cause the same sort of problems that ethonal can cause? Ethanol is both corrosive and a solvent and it eats away at fuel lines and fuel-delivery-system components.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:55 PM
nuff

Nope it will not, they are already part of the petrol you have in your tank. But you shouldn't go above 30% of total volume, that's when the problems start.

I'm planing to have a 5L jerry can in my car where the spare wheel is supposed to be. If I have any more issues with knocking or detonation I'll just add it to increase octane (Now that I know what detonation sounds like).
Old 08-19-2004, 12:01 AM
mchapman

Same with ethonal, its most likely already in your fuel tank and if you go over 10% thats when the problems start.

Nice plan.

Last edited by mchapman; 08-19-2004 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:11 AM
nuff

well, the difference with ethanol is that it doesn't come from the sands of iraq.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=xylene
http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6479
Old 08-19-2004, 02:04 AM
apsilon

You could try the Mobil distributor at Granville. Can't remember their exact name but if you can wait until Sunday I'll see if I can find an old receipt. Not sure what their smallest size drum will be though.

Might be cheaper or at least easier to buy a little plastic bottle of octane booster?
Old 08-19-2004, 02:21 AM
nuff

apsilon, well the last time i had to use 2 of those, so it's not that much cheaper. Also I've read that the claims on the bottles usually will only give very little octane boost. And toulene is a lot better. Also the octane boosters have a tendency to foul up spark plugs. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but that's what i've read on wrx forums.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:37 PM
AmyCroft

Default Hi Nuff - One of our's is down your way

Originally posted by nuff
apsilon, well the last time i had to use 2 of those, so it's not - deleted - wrx forums.

see link

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....78#post1018378

PM him an See What's up.. ! A tourist..

He posted:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jwkirkland
Sorry guys, I caught a cheap flight to Sydney Austrailia (I am posting this from there)

I will be back on Sept 2 and will be at the Tues GTG

I have not seen a single 350z yet here Down Under...these people are sooo deprived, hahahaha
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Show him he is not DePraved.. or Deprived.. Ha !!

Cheers Amy -