Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Supercharger

I have just finnished fitting a Stillen supercharger to a customers 350Z & I have been very impressed with the standard of workmanship & quality of all the parts supplied.

The job took about 12hrs to do but like a lot of these types of jobs, the next one would take a lot less as you don,t have to read the instructions over & over like you do the 1st time.

Unfortunatly the new carbon fiber look bonnet was damaged somewhere between Stillens & our workshop so that has been sent out for repair

Breif driving impressions around the block a few times without the bonnet is that the car has a lot more low down & midrange power, could not really wind it out in busy friday city traffic.
but I turned of the VDC and fanged it hard from a rolling start & there was a lot of wheelspin in both 1st & 2nd gear.

The Eaton blower has a real whine when you rev it out but at idle & cruise you would think it was stock. There was no signs of pinging. The car will go on the dyno early next week.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:21 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff, thanks for the write up, will be interesting to see what it pulls on the dyno.

12hrs isnt too long, little bit more than a cam install!

Last edited by mchapman; 08-19-2004 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:59 PM
ZZZ-35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great stuff, will it meet ADR & EPA.

David
Old 08-20-2004, 01:39 AM
zuff

Thnx Peter... nice to see someone finaly try it out!

I can't wait to see what the roots style turns up on a dyno.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:41 AM
ypwpat

What about HKS supercharge? Those looks a very nice setup

I think it increase about 90 ps not sure if it is at wheels or at Crank.

I think 90 ps = 26 kw? or more?
Old 08-20-2004, 04:38 AM
DavidM

I think 90 ps = 26 kw? or more?

90ps is more like 66kW.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:27 AM
mchapman

When I was picking up my car from Peters, I saw this setup and it looks pretty good. The buldge in the bonnet is cool too once you've been in it .

I was taken around the block once and even with the stock pulley on there it feels very quick. The car pulls hard and covers distance fast. The power delivery feels similar to stock+hi tech but increased alot obviously all the way accross the rev range, similar to how a 475z would go I imagine. It has a loud winge which really adds to the exhillaration. Overall a very fun ride.

There were no signs of pinging and traction didnt seem a problem for 275 wide S03s plus coilovers.

I was impressed and as a result ended up talking to Peter for quite a while about other performance mods etc. Thanks for your time Peter.

Last edited by mchapman; 08-27-2004 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:18 AM
MR RIZK

Was there any fuel/time management installed with the S/C
Old 08-30-2004, 07:41 PM
mchapman

Originally posted by MR RIZK
Was there any fuel/time management installed with the S/C

Yes, both fuel and timing have been addressed in the Stillen SC kit.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:34 PM
mmorris

So all in all how many extra KW do you think the supercharger has added? What was the cost of the charger?
Old 09-03-2004, 10:24 PM
mchapman

With only the stage 1 pulley on it id say about what is mentioned above, 66kw. But if you got a smaller pulley that number would increase.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:56 PM
Nathan

Stage 3 pulleys have arrived. Will be fitting them next Wednesday
Old 09-04-2004, 04:51 PM
ZZZ-35

Peter

What's the story regarding ADR and EPA with this setup in AUS.

David
Old 09-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Nathan

ZZZ-35

As with 99% of modifications done to Motor Vehicles, technically
speaking unless the vehicle is resubmitted for testing it is in breach of the ADR's.
ADR's are under Fedral Legislation. The EPA is a state juristriction.

As this is the 1st Stillen kit that I am aware of that has been fitted in Australia & as it has not & will not be tested for ADR compliance. Draw your own conlusion.

Now the good part. The Stillen supercharger kit is the only FI kit to be granted CARB (California Air Resources Board) exemption in California, one of the toughest places in the world for exhaust emmisions.
In NSW a car can be tested by the RTA in Penrith for exhaust emmisions, This was a free service but it is not a full ADR test just a hot start 505 second snapshot of the full 1,372 second cold start drive ADR test.
If it passed this test it would have a very high probability of passing the full ADR test as there are no modifications in the Stillen kit to the OE evaprotive setup
Old 09-05-2004, 05:37 PM
djclarkson

Default Nice

Great to see someone in Aus blowing their 350!

I actually have the eaton blower on my V8 Explorer. It's running a 9psi pulley which actually pumps out a peak of around 10.5psi.

Be wary though. The eaton gets so much power from idle, it puts heaps of strain on the tranny. No doubt the 350 tranny is stronger than the Ford though!

Also, the blower really feels the effect of heat. You need to make sure you have a really good cold air intake set up. The Popcharger wouldnt be good enough in my opinion. I would prefer to have the intake sucking in air from behind the front left side of the bumper.

When I went from 6psi to 9psi, the blower whined like a muthabucka... it's obscene, but I dig it, unlike the porsche cheyenne S, and x5 owners who I smoke regularly at the lights haha... In fact straight line speed, that X is faster than my 350z... until Peter at APS goes to work on the Z

Now I just need to find a car that is a Y! (Can you tell I'm bored?)
Old 09-05-2004, 06:38 PM
mchapman

The supercharger has an intercooler which does a good job of cooling it, after a short drive etc the coolant was still cool.

The supercharger would put more strain on the tranny but superchargers still have to build up boost. They dont have 9psi at idle, it might have around 2psi or something like that. It is more than stock power but it isnt massive amounts, I think the APS TT would be putting out more strain.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:28 PM
Nathan

The Stillen kit from stage 2 on comes with water to air intercooler which is a far more efficent intercooler for a given size than an air to air intercooler.
The 350Z transmission is a very strong & robust transmission & I doubt it will have any trouble copeing with the extra power of a supercharger or turbo.
All of the updates that have been done on the tranny since the 1st release have been to the syncro's not the shaft & gear sizes.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:40 AM
djclarkson

Default SC

I thought that also, but actually your incorrect. The eaton is a roots style blower, and gets most of its power by 2000rpm. Mine is intercooled also, and water cooled internals.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=22

I respect Peter from APS and the work his team does, but I think it is very very unlikely that APS will get the same torque at idle that an eaton blower does with a 9psi pulley on. But I am sure the power curve will be nice and level all the way through the RPM range, unlike with my eaton. It peaks down low, and then just makes heaps of noise after that.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:44 PM
mchapman

Default Re: SC

Originally posted by djclarkson
I thought that also, but actually your incorrect. The eaton is a roots style blower, and gets most of its power by 2000rpm. Mine is intercooled also, and water cooled internals.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=22

I respect Peter from APS and the work his team does, but I think it is very very unlikely that APS will get the same torque at idle that an eaton blower does with a 9psi pulley on. But I am sure the power curve will be nice and level all the way through the RPM range, unlike with my eaton. It peaks down low, and then just makes heaps of noise after that.
Well actually... the supercharger still has to build up to that point to reach full boost. As the car idles around 800rpm which is less than half way to 2000rpm you could assume that it would have less than half its maximum boost available. The stillen stage 2 kit which is installed on this car at the moment runs a 6psi pulley so it would be at 2.xpsi at idle. I dont know if the boost point is moved higher up the rev range by moving to a smaller pulley but even if it had a 9psi pulley it still has to build up to that, the TT should build up boost quickly as well, put out more power and torque and IMO it would put more strain on the tranny.

Last edited by mchapman; 09-06-2004 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:18 PM
djclarkson

Incorrect, turbos will never put as much strain on the tranny. They will never have as much boost from idle as a supercharger. The turbo must wait for exhaust gas, the supercharger just needs the engine turning over. It puts more pressure on both the engine and the transmission. This is a known fact and part of the group of 'cons' associated with SCs. The benefit is SCs are considered by many to be better for dragging because of the immediate boost. Yes the turbo is likely to provide a longer boost, but that is once the car is rolling.

That is what I have learn't owning both a SC and a Turbo car, but I am no expert, I am sure there is one on this board that can comment though.

Quick Reply: Supercharger