Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Nissan R34 GTR and APS 350Z TT

Old 08-23-2004, 01:04 AM
KY350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by zuff
I don't agree!

If both cars had 280rwkw the 350z would be in the power band quicker and longer than the GTR... the only problem will be the lack of 4WD and electronic torque management that makes the GTR use full power at all times.

The 350z will act much like a 911TT so if the launch was handled correctly could probably equal a GTR under the right circumstances.

Again this is about 1/4mile and not a comparative track time. Two very different tests...the later being the more relevant imho.
This is pure speculation from my part, as I have neither driven a TT Z or modded GTR.

I assume the TT Z only needs about 3000rpm to launch in its powerband (but launching without excessive wheelspin is another issue) and will haul a$$ through to about 6500 rpm - ie it is in its powerband for 3500rpm.

The modded GTR is in its powerband from 4000 rpm to 8500rpm - ie it is in its powerband for 4500rpm. So the GTR's powerband is broader. Also, the GTR is easier to launch - just dial up 7000rpm and let the clutch go - perfect starts every time.

So down the 1/4 mile, the GTR may have a slight edge due to AWD launch. But in street driving, the TT Z is a IMO better stead as it will access its power at much lower rpm while rolling, leaving an unsuspecting GTR to do some catching up.

Given the choice, I'd take the TT Z over the modded GTR as its a more streetable car, not to mention heaps better looking and rarer that modded GTR's. Also there are so many GTR look-a-like GTS-T's, which doesn't occur with the unique design Z.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:09 AM
LemanZ

Well man, I can drive my mod GTR to shoping with no problems at all. It is very streetable and easy to drive even in the wet and mountain driving. But I admit that the zed is more fun to drive only when the top down!! sometime I really want to have the power and sound from my GTR on my zed, than it would be perfect
Old 08-23-2004, 11:18 PM
KY350

LemanZ - I agree the GTR is a great car.

No doubt that the GTR is streetable, as is a 200SX and WRX. After all, they are sold by their manufacturures with the intention that the vast majority will be driven on the street.

I probably should have not used the term "streetable" in the previous post. I probably should have said flexible.

What I mean by that is that the TT Z would have a more flexible engine than a modded GTR. That is, due to the great torque available in the low rpms (ie 1500 - 3000), the TT Z could be driven sedately and acceleration would still be brisk at low rpms with a squirt on the gas peddle.
On the other hand, acceleration in a modded GTR at the same low rpms would not be as brisk due to the inherent turbo lag. This is most obvious in WRX's and 200SX's.

I wish I was in your situation and could afford both a modded GTR and a Z, which has the potential for tremendous performance with the pending APS TT.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:57 AM
LemanZ

The only problem to say that GTR is not streetable is the cops always after you. Many place you can't go. And cops think even a stock standard GTR is defectable with it's stock 600x300x90mm Front mount Intercooler and aftermarket exhaust. But I don't have that problem at all in my Zed

I had one time pull over by cops he saw my pod filter and FMIC than asked me why I have 2 air-intake mod in my GTR, and he said the law only allow 1 air-intake mod in vic. I explain to him that GTR is come with FMIC and I only change the pod filter, luckly he let me off.

Maybe the that cop pull over too many skyline GTST which have a small little intercooler at the corner of the front bar!!
Old 08-24-2004, 06:31 AM
ZEXC-33

Im beginning to wonder how coarse the engine and drivetrain is pumping so much power through it

the Z doesnt have very good NVH from stock, Peter whats ur thoughts?
Old 08-24-2004, 01:46 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by ZEXC-33
Im beginning to wonder how coarse the engine and drivetrain is pumping so much power through it

the Z doesnt have very good NVH from stock, Peter whats ur thoughts?
Well that's true the NVH on the stock Z is a little coarse compared to some more expensive European cars though this tends to improve a good deal with forced induction on board.

I have owned and driven many expensive cars over the years including nearly every model Porsche, M3 and M5 BMW,and in terms of driver enjoyment the TT Z is right up there with the best...........not a TT Porsche though you could purchase 4 350 Z Twin Turbo cars for the price of a new TT Porsche and still have some change to play with

The 350 Z TT is an affordable super car in my view.

Peter
Old 08-24-2004, 07:21 PM
ZEXC-33

thanks for the reply dude

its been ages since ive driven a Z, but i do remember alot of road noise, vibration on the gearknob and a real rough resonance when revving it out

perhaps things may b a little different with the 2004 model with the revised damping (so i believe neway)

i gotta get one and live with it for a couple of days, coz poor NVH would really irritate me, especially since im used to driving euro cars. I went to c a couple of dealers and despite arriving in an SL55, they werent too keen on letting me have a demo all day. Pretty funny since porsche cars aus, melb BMW, 3point Merc and Lance Dixon always gives us cars to drive overnite. Newho, does ne1 know of a place in Melb where i can rent one???
Old 08-25-2004, 04:20 AM
LemanZ

Rent one, you mean SL55?? or zed??
Old 08-25-2004, 09:48 AM
ZEXC-33

already got an SL55 dude

rent a 350z as no dealer will give me a demo overnite or all day
Old 08-26-2004, 12:14 AM
KY350

You can have my Z for a day so long as I can have the SL55 for my motoring needs.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:04 AM
provo

Okay,
I've done a complete backflip on the 350Z - it goes on Friday next week to be traded on a R34 GTR V-spec. I've had a long hard think about it all, and discussed the situation extensively with friends and family. I think Richie is right. The GTR is the pinnacle of Japanese motoring with undeniable credibility. Also an exhaust plus engine computer and high-flow cat's can give you a reliable 300kW at the flywheel for a little over $5,000.
I have a lot of respect for Peter at APS after following his communications on the forums and talking to DavidC. His TT kit will be awesome! However I will always be nervous about putting FI on a car which was not built in the first place with this in mind. I will still follow this forum and would like to keep in touch with all the guys I met on the Melbourne meet.

Cheers,

Neil
Old 08-26-2004, 06:36 AM
ypwpat

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oo well I hope you'll Enjoy it very Much Neil

It's a Good Choice, hope you are happy with it

When on the Cruise Drive slowly ok? So we can Catch up

Good luck and have fun with the GT-R

But for me. After the CHip and Suspension mod, Plus knee Pad. That's it the mod for Z coz i'll better start saving for the next GT-R35 Hopefully nissan australia will bring it in

Cheers
Yun
Old 08-26-2004, 02:08 PM
Scandrew

*mMm MM MMm* another z bites the dust!
Old 08-26-2004, 04:08 PM
LemanZ

Thumbs up

Neil, maybe you can keep both GTR and the Zed in your garage....

Before you make up your mind, maybe you should come to the track day in september to drag with my GTR with your zed first, and see you like the power or not

Last edited by LemanZ; 08-26-2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:52 PM
KY350

LemanZ - that thing is an absolute beast. It looks the biz standing still!

Neil - enjoy the last few weeks of the Z. If you don't like the GTR, you could always buy another Z (2nd hand) for less than you sell yours for, so you got nothing to loose by going to the GTR (exept perhaps looks, but you make up for that in other departments).
Old 08-26-2004, 08:58 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by provo
Okay,
I've done a complete backflip on the 350Z - it goes on Friday next week to be traded on a R34 GTR V-spec.

Cheers,

Neil
Hey Neil good luck with the R34 and I hope you really enjoy your new ride..............make sure you give us all a full report after you've settled into the beast.

Peter

APS
Old 08-26-2004, 10:53 PM
Z350Lover

Neil:

That's really a HUGE decision that I couldn't make.... was going on the same route once, but I decided not to as I couldn't be able to find a good condition GTR so far... It is good to know that you have spotted one and I am VERY sure that you will enjoy that car as much as the zed, or even more! Let us know how you love the GT-R and keep in touch for sure mate!

cheers,

richie
Old 08-27-2004, 12:46 AM
provo

Cheers guys,
The car I'm buying has done 5,500km, looks pristine according to pictures I've seen, has 3 yr warranty and is a dark silver colour (?pewter) and is 1999 model.
I'll keep you up to date.
regards,

Neil

PS - I'll post pics after purchase
Old 08-27-2004, 05:06 AM
DavidM

5,500km ... 1999 model.

That means that the car is ~5 years old ... any idea why it has not been driven? Afterall, that's only around 1200km per year (ie 100km per month).
Old 08-27-2004, 05:09 AM
ypwpat

Originally posted by provo
Cheers guys,
The car I'm buying has done 5,500km, looks pristine according to pictures I've seen, has 3 yr warranty and is a dark silver colour (?pewter) and is 1999 model.
I'll keep you up to date.
regards,

Neil

PS - I'll post pics after purchase
Hi Neil'

just want to know. You getting the Car from GTA? Gran Tourismo Auto?

i know they have one there for sale, almost done the same KM and year.

Cheers
yun

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nissan R34 GTR and APS 350Z TT