Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Spotted other Z while you driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 12:01 AM
ypwpat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by matthewb
Thanks for that David - lots of options there. I would love to do a performance driving course but money might get in the way - like u said. Still, I am not currently a member of any car club. Of course I am driving a Track Z, so what clubs am I eligible to join? What clubs would you recommend - at this stage i am probably more of a "family fun day" kind of driver - but would like to do the CAMs stuff at some stage...
Matthew it's up to you which club u want to join.

I joined the Nissan Datsun Sports Club

and of course join club require a fee.

NDSOC

cheers
Old 08-31-2004, 03:54 AM
DavidM

Still, I am not currently a member of any car club. Of course I am driving a Track Z, so what clubs am I eligible to join?

You are eligible to join practically any club as most clubs have what thay call 'associate' membership. That means that you don't need any particular type of car to join and then you can participate in all of their activities. Well, once you're a member of "a" club, then you can participate in any activities of any other club as long as they have an 'assiciate' program ... which, like I said before, is most of them. Exception being the Porsche and Ferrari clubs as these do not have 'associate' membership/program.

Me, I'm member of the BMW club, Honda Sports Car Club (HSCC) and Sports Owners Club of Victoria (SOCV). Though, this year I've have not been to any events with these clubs so far, but WRX club, MX-5 club and Alfa club.

Which one should you join? The one that appeals to you ... generally speaking, the clubs with many members/activities are the best as they have a very good calendar. BMW-club is good because it has both and also their calendar/program is very good. They have anything from meets, cuises, to driver training and competionion (with about 8 round per year) ... I signed up my whole family with them. WRX-club is very good as well, but they focus more on competition and hence have a very good track 'sprints' calendar .... 1/2 of the events that I go to are with them.

Membership costs anything from $20 (ie. SOCV) to ~$100 per year, but it's well worth it if you're interested in any of the above ... so much cheaper doing these things through a club.

ps. Some cobs sell '1 day membership' for some of their events so even if you are not a member of any club, you still may be able to participate if you purchase that. Though, it's sometimes ~1/2 of the full membership, so why not just get the membership for the full year?

Talking about Fire Extinguisher. Does it Need to be FITTED or Can just have on it. Because i can just borrow one from my Dad's HSV and just put it behind the seat, etc.

The 'rule' says [i]"mounted securely within reach of the driver"[/u]. I'm sure that at some events (and sometimes) you may get away with having the extinguisher in the glove box or something ... but more than likely they'll refuse your entry at scruteneering (you're better of asking them 1st). It's best to invest in a bracket, and then borrow the extinguisher to mount in there.

btw, what HSV does your dad drive?
Old 08-31-2004, 05:15 AM
ypwpat

Old HSV VX I Clubsport R8

busted 3 SO-2 Tyres already.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:53 PM
LemanZ

So far, we have 10 Melbourne Z-owners on the contact list. For those who didn't pm or email your contact, please do so.

1. My350Z.com user name:
2. Real name:
3. Color of your Z:
4. Model of your Z: eg. Roadster, Track, Touring
5. Phone no:
6: email:

I would like to have another Melbourne base meet soon when the weather getting warm, maybe BBQ & Beer at Albert park??
Old 09-01-2004, 04:24 AM
DavidM

That's like '99 model right?

Busted .... how?
Old 09-01-2004, 04:43 AM
ypwpat

Originally posted by DavidM

That's like '99 model right?

Busted .... how?
It's 2001 model.

The inner side of the tyres was completely eaten and Ripped.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:52 PM
DavidM

Aaaah, right. Tell your dad to pump up his rear tyres to ~45psi and that should stop that from happening. My dad had the same thing happen once while driving to Queensland. Since than he's learned that the S02s on the HSV need to have 40 - 45psi in them as they have a very soft side-wall. Has not had a problem like that since then.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:59 PM
ypwpat

Originally posted by DavidM

Aaaah, right. Tell your dad to pump up his rear tyres to ~45psi and that should stop that from happening. My dad had the same thing happen once while driving to Queensland. Since than he's learned that the S02s on the HSV need to have 40 - 45psi in them as they have a very soft side-wall. Has not had a problem like that since then.
Thanks for the Tip.
I'll do that. But aren't the REcommended PSI is about 36?
Old 09-01-2004, 09:40 PM
DavidM

I'll do that. But aren't the REcommended PSI is about 36?

Yes, but you need to read the small print. It says to add (something like) 3psi if you have passangers in the back (or load in the boot), and then add another 3psi when driving at high speed (ie. over 100kph).

Frorm what I remeber it will land you at 42psi if you actually drive the car harder than your granny would.

With the S02s my father left them on 45psi once he 'shreaded' the 1st set of rear tyres. He did not have any problmes since. With other tyres he runs a bit lower ie. (36 - 40psi depending on the tyre).

ps. The tyres should take anothing up to 50psi without any problem.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:10 PM
scathing

I tend to run the recommended pressures on the street, but in wet weather or on the track I'll run higher pressures.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:17 PM
harryw

The inner side of the tyres was completely eaten and Ripped. [/B][/QUOTE]

The exact same thing happened to me coming home from dinner in Sydney one "early morning" about 2am.

This was about 3 weeks after I picked the Clubbie up, what a pain in the bum it was.

As always

H
Old 09-02-2004, 12:07 AM
KY350

So does 45psi result in increased tyre wear in the centre of the tyre compared to the outsides?
Or does the combination of increased pressure / soft sidewalls / hard driving even out the wear across the tread?
I may be faced with a similar situation with my new tyres.
On the Potenza's, I have run between 35-40psi and the rears show greater wear in the centre than the outsides. I'm guessing that the Potenza has a stiffer sidewall than the S02's - bloody well should with all the tyre noise they make.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:19 AM
frosty

ME TOO!

But I wasn't surprised since the angle of the wheels at the back is so splayed out.

FRIZZLE
Old 09-02-2004, 12:35 AM
DavidM

So does 45psi result in increased tyre wear in the centre of the tyre compared to the outsides?

It all depends on how you drive. On the HSV, with my father driving it was pretty even.

On the S2000, I was running 40psi at the front no matter what the tyres, and I never worn out the center before the rest of the tyre ... if anything, the center was in the best shape at the front. With me, the inside of the tyre goes 1st (front and back), and I run pretty high pressures. Though, that's more due to the camber that I'm running ... so if anything the higher pressures prolong the tyre life.

Or does the combination of increased pressure / soft sidewalls / hard driving even out the wear across the tread?

As I mentioned before, it depends on what car you're talking about, how you drive as well as what alignent you're running. With the HSV if you run any lower than 40psi in the S02s, then you're going to 'shread' the tyres just like Harry, my dad, or Ypwpat's dad did. If that happens then the tyre wear we're talking about is inconsequential as the tyre's dead.

Though, the S02s on the HSV, with my dad driving and rotated front-to-back lasted about 35,000km all up .... which is pretty good ... and pretty even tyre wear.

Oh, when I had the S02s on the MR2 a while back, I was running only about 36psi in them and had no problems. Same with the S02s at the rear of the S2000 - I was running 36psi again there and had very even wear.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:11 PM
lionking

Originally posted by LemanZ
So far, we have 10 Melbourne Z-owners on the contact list. For those who didn't pm or email your contact, please do so.

1. My350Z.com user name:
2. Real name:
3. Color of your Z:
4. Model of your Z: eg. Roadster, Track, Touring
5. Phone no:
6: email:

I would like to have another Melbourne base meet soon when the weather getting warm, maybe BBQ & Beer at Albert park??
Hey LemanZ,
Just pm'd with details
LK
Old 09-05-2004, 05:27 PM
LemanZ

Lionking, cool, I have added you in the list.....
Old 09-06-2004, 02:04 AM
matthewb

Lionking, cool, I have added you in the list.....
Hey Lemanz, I tried to send through my details the other day - did you get them?

I get a bit confused with these Forums sometimes? Sorry
Old 09-06-2004, 07:25 PM
LemanZ

Originally posted by matthewb
Hey Lemanz, I tried to send through my details the other day - did you get them?

I get a bit confused with these Forums sometimes? Sorry
Yap, i got ur details, except ur email address
Old 09-06-2004, 08:43 PM
matthewb

Yap, i got ur details, except ur email address
Email address = matthew@pnsm.com.au
Old 09-08-2004, 05:51 AM
LemanZ

Thanks Matthew

Basically, in our melbourne contact list database, we have got 11 members now and the color range of the Z are as follows:-

1 x Lemans Sunset
1 x Black
3 x Blue
1 x Pewter
1 x Red
4 x Silver

Quick Reply: Spotted other Z while you driving