Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

1/10/04 - Calder 'off street' drags

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 02:47 AM
harryw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LK was down there a couple of weeks ago. Spent three days in the Grand Hyatt with what turned out to be pneumonia. Didnt see any racing at all!

As always

H
Old 10-04-2004, 05:49 AM
DavidM

Btw do you think the Time can also be effected by the Tires thickness? I had 19" and LK have 17" I saw all draggers has a Smaller wheels with a Thick tires. what do you think?

What do you mean by "thinkness"? Do you mean profile or width? One would think that more width can (and will) give you more traction. Lower profile should not make much (if any) difference to the acceleration.

Though, your 19" wheels and wider rubber will probably be heavier than LKs 17s with 235 rubber. In theory the heavier wheels/tyres will make you slower, but it makes more of a difference on light(er) cars that have less power. The Zed has plenty of power and is not that light so I don't think that an extra kilo or two on the wheels will make any noticable difference.

Btw why do you think the Reaction time is unimportant? aren't the Time was set to Count when the Light turn green?

It's unimportant because the 400m time on your slip is measured from the moment you start moving, and not from when the light goes green. So in theory, the light can turn green, you can sit there for 30secs and then still run your best 400m time.

Good example is when you and I run. You launched before me (0.35sec better reaction time) and crossed the line 0.085sec behind me. Despite the fact that we were that close at the 400m line, on that run I posted a 0.43sec better 400m time than you did.

But manual / auto box does not dictate RT - that is dependant on reflexes (and to an extent luck if your going off the orange).

I know what you're saying, but I still beg to differ. It's not just a reflex. I'm pretty sure that I could react much quicker than I did if 'reacting' is all I needed to do. Though, I waited for the green light, then looked at my revs, then made sure I had the revs I wanted, and only then dropped the clutch. LK can tell us better what 'process' he went through in the auto, but I pressume that he has the revs steady before the green, and lets go off the brake when the lights go green. If that is the case, then in the auto you only need to 'react' while in the manual you have to do a lot more (unless you're really good at it and can do it all without seeing the tacho).
Old 10-04-2004, 09:31 PM
LemanZ

Originally posted by ypwpat
we all just got the Tip from the Drag Section And would like to Practice and Demostrate their recommendation

But anyway maybe next time for another Drag race But Next time LemanZ I 100% sure he wanted to come and smoke us all With his AUTO Roadster and Hi-tech on the Next drag Event
Sorry guys, I totally forgot about the drag is on 1/10/04, otherwise i would come. I just sold my house and now looking for place to rent before mid of the month, otherwise my babies have to sleep on the street. - but min must have double garage to park all my babies. For sure i will be there next time on any event.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:30 PM
LemanZ

And also, I think why LK's 5AT beat all your guys 6MT, I think one of the very important reason is that I found when I change gear in MT mode in AUTO, every gears I shift up the rpm don't need to drop, specially can feel at higher gear 4->5. So in drag racing is like "flatchange" for every gear. Unless you guys in 6MT can do perfect "Flatchange" every single gear, otherwise you guys have very less chance to win LK.

LK, Ouyve juic de lau tour coure, juco oeri jru lor urea, wke tor utew ouar melbourn, loae orl mear.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:49 PM
lionking

Originally posted by LemanZ

LK, Ouyve juic de lau tour coure, juco oeri jru lor urea, wke tor utew ouar melbourn, loae orl mear.
Ummm.... yea .... that's EXACTLY what I was thinkin'.

BTW - Don't tell too many people you drive an auto. They might start callin' you Le-girl-Z!!!
Old 10-04-2004, 11:00 PM
LemanZ

man beaten by a little girl, it sound not very good man!!

Le-girl-Z,, hahaha, sound interesting, Anyway, I think the Auto Zroadster is 2nd wife to me, of cos she is girl.....
Old 10-04-2004, 11:16 PM
frosty

LOL

FRIZZLE
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2004, 12:22 AM
DavidM

So in drag racing is like "flatchange" for every gear. Unless you guys in 6MT can do perfect "Flatchange" every single gear, otherwise you guys have very less chance to win LK.

Me and LK have lined up the cars before, and there wa not advantage either way during gear-changes (which is a credit to the Zed's auto gear-box as normally manual can change gears quicker). The avantage that LK did have, is that the 3rd gear in the auto goes to 165kph, while in the manual to just over 140kph. That means that from 140-160kph us manual guys need to not only make a gear-change, but also are in 4th gear (which is taller than the 3rd gear in the auto). This makes the auto quicker in this increment.

Still, even of you forget about all of the above, where LK was beating the manuals was on the 60' time. That means he could launch, and cover the 1st 60' better than us. The Auto was good 0.2sec quicker to 60' at Calder than any of our manul runs.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:46 AM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by lionking
Hola H,

Nosotros tenemos un gran tiempo aquí en Melburne en las carreras del obstáculo. Arrepentido usted pierde fuera. Quizá un día que usted puede vivir en una ciudad que es tan gran como Melburne y juego con nosotros. Soy también lookig hacia adelante a obtener en algunos acapara con los chicos pronto.

Tendremos que alcanzar la próxima vez usted es el sur de la frontera. ¡Y recuerda de no decir "faaaark" ni usted entrará el problema!!

Rey de León
Babelfish Translation:

Hello H,

We have a great time here in Melburne in the races of the obstacle. Sorry you lose outside. Perhaps a day that you can live in a city that is as great as Melburne and game with us. I am also lookig forwards to obtain in some monopolizes soon with the boys.

We will have to reach the next time you you are the south of the border. And it remembers of not saying "faaaark" nor you will enter the problem!

King of Leon

Last edited by mchapman; 10-05-2004 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:58 AM
harryw

Huh!

As always

H
Old 10-05-2004, 02:32 AM
frosty

HARRY - th eyar e t alki ngabo ut u sso w ecan't und erstan d.!

F rizz l e.

Last edited by frosty; 10-05-2004 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:01 AM
KY350

You must be half Mexican Frostman
Old 10-05-2004, 04:09 AM
lionking

Originally posted by frosty
HARRY - th eyar e t alki ngabo ut u sso w ecan't und erstan d.!

F rizz l e.
Hey Frosty,

Has your "j" gone walkabout again???!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 04:12 AM
harryw

yeah Shizzle, I say far kem!

As always

H
Old 10-06-2004, 12:38 AM
DavidM

hehe, you have to like this:

http://www.pless.com.au/f40/f40drag.mpeg

12.34 @ 128mph (206kph) at Calder back in 1990 ;-)
Old 10-24-2004, 10:14 PM
DavidM

Does anyone know how they work out the 'trap speed' at the end of 400m? I am guessing that it is not actually the speed at the end of 400m, but the 'average' speed over some distance (ending with 400m mark).

OK, I found out how the trap-speed is measured at the end of 400m at Calder. It is calculated from the time that it takes to cover the last 60' (ie. 18.3m).

I had a quick look at what effect this has on the trap-speed. It looks like the trap-speed is about 2kph lower than actual speed as you pass the 400m line in the Zed. If you're wondering how I got that, here's the info:
- 350Z is traveling at around 160kph at that time, and at that speed it takes about 0.4sec to cover the last 60'.
- The 'trap speed' listed is the 'average' over the last 60', which implies that the trap-speed listed is reached about 0.2sec before you cross the finish-line.
- 350Z needs about 1.5sec to accelerate from 150 to 160kph, and hence in 0.2sec it will accelerate 2kph or so.

This in a way means that on my best run, my Zed reached 160kph in ~13.8sec.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:55 PM
APS
Banned

Hey guys there's a small video of an APS TT Z car on the APS web site at http://www.**************/350z/pzone/pzone.htm

This is the very first APS TT car in the states and the vid of the 1/4 mile pass is very nice, the APS TT Z is running a low octane map so the car will run a quicker 1/4 mile when tuned for their 94 octane fuel (similar to our 98 octane premium unleaded)

Hope you enjoy.

Peter

APS
Old 10-26-2004, 01:31 AM
Perth 350z

Very nice @12.15 How does that compare to your expectations Peter?
Old 10-26-2004, 01:15 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by Perth 350z
Very nice @12.15 How does that compare to your expectations Peter?
The MPH and ET was Pretty much spot on the money for the base APS TT system running 7 PSI and D/R's.

I've run an 11.97 in my LHD Z car with a little more power than the car in the vid (with 9 PSI turbo pressure) and my ET should heve been better except the stock clutch didn't like the big launches and burnouts on the DR's.............time for a decent clutch package if I want to go drag racing again.

Peter

APS