Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

350Z vs EVO8

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 02:46 AM
DavidM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z vs EVO8

Today I met up with a guy who has a new EVO8. He's already replaced the filter and springs in the car, but besides that it's very much stock. I had a good look at the car, and it does look pretty good in the flesh. It looks well integrated, and does not really make you think that you're looking at a Lancer (even a souped up one) ... has more of a feeling of M3 compared to BMW318. The calipers on the front brakes make the Zed's Brembos look tiny. They are like 2x the size. Though, the disks look about the same size at the front, and smaller at the rear.

I was not only taken for a good spin, but also drove it myself. From inside the front seats are great (IMHO better than Zeds even though they are not leather). The steering wheel feels good, ell weighted, and direct. Dash board area looks pretty good, but the rest of the car feels more like a 'souped up' sedan ... though, nicely souped up one at that. The gearbox feels good, by normal standards but the Zeds feels shorter and more direct. The EVO8 ones feels a bit rubbery compared to the Zed, but certainly not bad at all. The clutch feerls lighter than in the Zed.

Now driving it is a different ball-game to the Zed. It seems to have absolutelly infinite power-down grip ... it just does not feel like you could loose traction just by the use of power. It woud be awesome out of tight corners on the track. Also it has very good turn-in, and does not feel likea 4WD at all in this respect ... nowhere close to the feeling of FWD either (ie. WRX). So much better feel thana WRX/STi, and damn good by any standards. Feels like a very nice RWD until you get on power mid-corner and notice that the front is helping you get out of corner and thatno tireis remotely close to loosing traction. I did not drive it that hard myself... maybe 6 - 7/10th, but the car felt very well balanced under brakes, in-to corners, as well as out of them. Out of corners absolutelly awesome. I did notice the throttle not being a direct/sensitive as the Zeds as it needed a much bigger blip of the throttle to rev-match on down-shifts.

Also at low revs it did not feel as powerfull as my Zed, but mid-range felt great. Also at about 4000rpm you can feel the full boost come on and there it feels quicker than my Zed. Then it pulls strong all the way to it's 7600rpm redline ... but the biggest power surge is at 4000rpm.

When I was taken for a spin, it was a lot harder than I dared to push it myself. The car brakes very well, is very stable into corners under brakes. It can also carry decent amount of mid-corner speed. Hard to draw a direct comparision with the Zed, as I was in a passanger seat, but it does feel vey quick and very good.

Afterall this we lined the Zed and the EVO8 for some side-by-side comparisions. Each car had about 1/2 a tank of fuel and just the driver on board. My Zed has the Hi-tech exhaust, K&N filter, and ~11,500km on the clock. The EVO has just the filter and about 2,500km on the clock. We tried a few different runs, and each one a few times. Also we alternated between us calling the starts to keep it fair. Here'show things went:

- Test #1: 20 - 130kph, both cars in 1st gear:
Fisrt time we run I probably got on power a fraction earier and pulled out about 1/2 a car-length. Stayed like that 'till the top of the 1st gear, then when I shifted to 2nd I got a little bit of whee-spin, but did not loose much ground at all ... maybe the EVO made up a foot or two on me. The things stayed even 1/2 way through the 2nd, and after that it felt like the EVO made up a little bit of of ground ... maybe on the 2nd-to-3rd gear-chage ... Maybe another couple feet. In 3rd gear things stayed very even and I finished alittle bit ahead ... maybe 1/4car-length at most.

When we run again, the EVO8 got a little bit of a jump on me, but no more than 1/4 car-length. Again things stayed like that thought the 1stgear, but this time it left like I made up some ground in 2nd and 3rd gear and when we finished up at aorund 130kph, we were literally side-by-side.

- Test #2: 40 - 150kph, both cars in 1st gear:
We tried running a couple runs at higher speeds where the EVO8 was undoubtedy at full-boost. We run a this increment acouple of times, and each time we stayed practically side-by-side well into the 3rd gear (~130kph). There was a slight back and forth between the two cars, but we're talking about 1 or 2 feet either way. Though, each time it felt like the Zed was a fraction quicker in the 130 - 150kph increment and it looked like the Zed made up about a meter or so here. Sometimes I was a fraction behind, and pulling on the EVO, and sometimes we were side-by-side with me pulling away slightly. At ~150kph we'd end up either side-by-side, or with me 1/2 a car-length ahead.

- Test #3: 0 - 100kph, both cars aggresively launched in 1st gear:
This time we tried a couple standing starts. I launched each time from about 2,500 - 3000rpm and none of the launches were bad, but neither were also superb. I had a bit too much wheel-spin each time. The EVO was laucnched from around 4000rpm with a the cluth slipped. That saw it shoot away off the line each time. By the time my whees would stop spinning (1/2 way through the 1st), the EVO would be between 1/2 and 1.5 car-lengths ahead of me depending on how well either one of us launched. Though, even with the best of launches from me, I can't see myself shadowing the EVO's launch ... and it could still do better with a full-blown clutch-drop from the red-line. Even as the EVO was being launched today, I was happy to stay 1/2 a car-length of it. Once my rear-tyres gripped, things stayed pretty much even and the EVO would finish-up 1 - 2 car-lengths ahead of me whenwe shut down at the top of 2nd gear (ie. 100kph). We did this 3 times and each time the EVO finished up comfortably ahead (ie. 1 - 2 car-lengths). I could speculate that it'd stay with it like that to 130kph, and then maybe make up 1/2 a car-length by 150kph ... but that would be only speculations.

So in summary, the EVO is a very nice car and will do very well on the track with it's combination of brakes, grip, power and power-down. In the straight-line I was expectiving it to be quicker than my Zed, and it was pretty much line ball with the my Zed. If anything:
- Zed is quicker bellow 30kph.
- Between 30 and 140kph there's nothing between then.
- Over 140kph the Zed might have been ever so slightly quicker ...but we only went to ~150kph so who knows what would happen after that.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:23 AM
apsilon

Nice mini review as always

I would've thought the EVO would've been faster in a straight line. Then again you have an exhaust and filter. it'd be interesting to see what benefit the EVO could gain from the same mods.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:29 AM
LemanZ

Good report david, So EVO8 is not that fast as what I think. Do you know what is the weight of EVO8? I think the earlier the EVO the lighter. Still thinking the EVO1 - 3 will be properly much quicker. The later EVO have a better brake and handling.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:17 AM
zuff

I just think people don't realise how quick the 350z is!

The new EVO and Sti are damn afst yet we can keep up when launched from a rolling start.

I don't think anyone expects to beat a 4wd from standing still start.... just won't happen.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:00 AM
ypwpat

especially we kept on having a wheels spin at the start all the time.

Where EVO8 has a better traction with their 4wd.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:58 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good review Dave.

I agree with everyone I thought the EVO would have been faster, but it is when you think about it. Remember the distance David was able to make up on the V8 Commodore (HSV?) after he had the HiTech installed. If we use that as a reference pre-HiTech David would be about 3 car lengths behind the EVO, and compared to some Davids 350 is a stong example, so others would be even further behind, at least a few more car lengths.

If the EVO had an exhaust as well you can bet it would get a good 20rwkw from the upgrade and if it was run in more there would be gains there as well, which would result in a very nice lead to the EVO.

Last edited by mchapman; 09-09-2004 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:24 PM
zuff

yeh...it's true! The EVO is so damn easy to mod up also...

Like most turbo 4cl cars... slap on an exhaust, piggy back ecu and a more efficient intercooler and voila....power that makes a 911 blush!
Old 09-09-2004, 06:59 PM
DavidM

I would've thought the EVO would've been faster in a straight line.

I was expecting it to be quicker than me as well ... at least bellow 100kph. The 12.6sec 0-160kph that Wheels mag managed out of the EVO8 made me think that it's be quicker than me. Was not the case so I was also very much surprised. Though, now thnking ab out it, with an agressive launch, the EVO8 can get to 60kph about 1/2 sec quicker than the Zed. So realistically the EVO is a 13sec 0-160kph time going by the Wheels figures. Zed is supposed to be 14sec 0-160kph car, and I'm guessing that my car is pull of 0-160kph in low 13sec (maybe even flat 13) ... that would put them line-ball rom a roll.

Do you know what is the weight of EVO8?

1470kg

I think the earlier the EVO the lighter. Still thinking the EVO1 - 3 will be properly much quicker.

Don;t know about EVO 1 - 3 as those were not that quick from the factory ... did they not come with around 160kW? Though EVO6 should by all means be quicker as that has roughly the same power, but weights good 150kg less.

it'd be interesting to see what benefit the EVO could gain from the same mods.

On the AVO dyno they measured an EVO8 at 160kW (atw) ... that's only 2kW of what my car managed at APS. You can't really compare two different dynos, but it seems a coincence that an EVO6 on the APS dyno pulled 158kW (atw).

I am have always been suspicious of the power that Mitsubishi claims for the EVOs. EVO 6 (and now 8) seems to pull about 20kW more than an STi so that would put them at around 220kW (at the crank) from factory. The acceleation numbers that they manage from the cars indicate more power than claimed.

Though, this EVO8 that I saw will have about 200kW (atw) before the end of the year ... I think that is just exhaust, chip (ie. boost controller) and intake/filter.

Remember the distance David was able to make up on the V8 Commodore (HSV?) after he had the HiTech installed. If we use that as a reference pre-HiTech David would be about 3 car lengths behind the EVO, and compared to some Davids 350 is a stong example, so others would be even further behind, at least a few more car lengths.

My thinking exactly.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:11 AM
KY350

When I read the Wheels 1/4 mile times for the EVO8, I develop a picture of a very fast car. And stock standard, it is a fast car from a standing start - AWD shines here.
However I too was very surprised that David's Z kept pace with the EVO8 from a roll - great effort David. Now I'm really interested to see what 1/4 mile times you post next month, as this will give us a good comparison of Z + exhaust to EVO8.
BTW, David, would you say that your friend is a good driver and he wrung every last kW out of the EVO8?
Old 09-10-2004, 12:38 AM
DavidM

When I read the Wheels 1/4 mile times for the EVO8, I develop a picture of a very fast car.

I looked up the local magaizne times last night and 13.8sec over 400m is the best I found so far. Anyone seen anything quicker? Still, that is good 1/2sec quicker than the best time local magaizne time for the Zed.

BTW, David, would you say that your friend is a good driver and he wrung every last kW out of the EVO8?

I could not see anything that I would suggest an improvement on when he was driving me. Afterall, as long as you take it to the redline and make quick shifts there's not much to it when going in the straight-line. His shifts seemed as quick as mine as I did not make/loose any ground on gear-changes. As I originaly mentioned ... we were side by side for most of the runs so I got a good view of the EVO next to me.

Oh, he has managed to get flat 14sec out of a stock (current model) WRX at Calder so he can't be too shabby at all.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:32 PM
ZEXC-33

The EVO8 is seriously detuned for our Aus market

Slap on a filter, cat back exhaust and an ECU fiddle for more boost and ull get another 40-50kw from the engine

I have yet to drive an EVO 8, but i drove an Aussie delivered Makkinen, and it was **** yaself scary. The lack of power at low revs i felt was only evident bcoz of the huge mid and top end rush.

The EVO8 is worth the money imo, but it couldnt b used as a daily driver, maybe a track weapon. Ud get over that $19,990 interior quality ambience when ur just sitting at the speed limit. And that rear wing and oh-so dated altezza rear lights have gotta go

Last edited by ZEXC-33; 09-11-2004 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:34 AM
DavidM

The EVO8 is seriously detuned for our Aus market.Slap on a filter, cat back exhaust and an ECU fiddle for more boost and ull get another 40-50kw from the engine

Well, it seems to have the same power here as in the US and Europe. The 0-160kph time seems to be similar across the 3 continents.

Also, I'd go as far as to say as the EVO8 is under-rated ie. it has more power than specified. They claim 195kW, for it, but it seems to have ~220kW. The dyno plots that I've seen potit good ~25kW higher than an STi. Same goes for the EVO6 - that seems to dyno about the same. Not only that, but the acceleration numbers seem to support that for both cars.

Though, I can't disagree on the ease of getting even more power. But WRX/STi are pretty easy as well ... as most turbo cars are.

I have yet to drive an EVO 8, but i drove an Aussie delivered Makkinen, and it was **** yaself scary. The lack of power at low revs i felt was only evident bcoz of the huge mid and top end rush.

I drove EVO6 as well ... it was afew years back, and yeah, it didfeel super quick. I had an S2000 then and it felt noticably quicker.

Though, I do not remember feeling any lag ... I thought it pulled strongly from low revs and there was not noticable 'turbo kick'. But then it was a while ago, and who knows what I would have considered 'turbo kick' those days.

The EVO8 is worth the money imo, but it couldnt b used as a daily driver, maybe a track weapon.

IMHO it's a better daily driver than an STi. The suspension seems more comfortable and also the engine is a lot more flexible. Thelack of throttle response and power at low revs in a curent shape STi is staggering. To me the EVO8 seems like a very nice daily driver.

Interior is not bad at all IMHO, but you can't compare it with a $60k Audi, Alfa, BMW etc.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:24 AM
ZEXC-33

The UK gets a 330hp FQ version of the EVO 8, ours is only 265odd hp. The UK's normal spec is 300hp, so they r detuned to cope with our lower RON fuel.

What i meant by interior quality is that inside (even outside too for that matter) is no different to a $19,990 driveaway Lancer ES. The extra money does not buy u better build quality or ambience.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:31 AM
ypwpat

Aren't UK got the EVO8 MR? Those are Completely Different to Our EVO8. Our EVO8 are standard EVO, but the EVO8 MR are special with Carbon fibre roof and Rear Spoiler plus more power too.

Also i think the RON fuel between ours and UK are no Difference. They also use 98 RON same as ours.

Cheers
Old 09-12-2004, 03:34 AM
ZEXC-33

ypw we do have 98 no doubt, but the EVO 8 isnt tuned for 98 RON, its tuned for much less

The MR version EVO 8's have 342hp in the UK!
Old 09-12-2004, 04:33 AM
DavidM

The UK gets a 330hp FQ version of the EVO 8, ours is only 265odd hp.

I am pretty sure that the EVO FQ300 is not the 'normal' EVO8 that you get in UK. The regular EVO8 has 280hp even in the UK, while the FQ models are special, UK only, modifications. They do similar thing with the STi over there.

Still 280hp is more that the claimed 195kW here. Still, from what I read, the local EVO8s get 're-tuned' for 280hp at their 1st service.

Then again I have no idea how the FQ300 (or even FQ320) compare to our EVO8 (or even EVO6) as the claimed and actual power for the EVOs here seem tobe different. As I mentioned before, the local EVO8 (and 6) seem to have more like 300hp. Does that mean that the UK FQ300 has the same power? Or does that mean that the FQ300 is just as under-rated as the regular EVO?

What i meant by interior quality is that inside (even outside too for that matter) is no different to a $19,990 driveaway Lancer ES.

It's a little bit better, but I know what you mean. The seats, stereing wheel, pedals and gear-shift make fora very different driving experience (and position) from a regular Lancer. As I mentioned before, I was surprised that it did not feel likea Lancer from the inside ... in a way just like the M3 does not feel like a 318.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:37 AM
ZEXC-33

mite have to take one for a caning

the VW R32 is the best all round 4wd compact ive driven yet

its hard to imagine the evo being as good, that R32 felt so secure and smooth to drive
Old 09-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Z350Lover

The thing I don't like about Evo will be its recaro seats.... the thigh support isn't nice at all.... driver will still slide around at hard corning... my suede recaro seats (SRIII) from Integra Type R are a lot better IMHO..

As to the interior, I have to agree with david... it is a lot better than the normal lancer though... but well.... still cannot compare that with the zed or the rx-8 at this price range..

cheers,

richie
Old 09-13-2004, 12:54 AM
DavidM

You might like to hear what someone who has an EVO8 thinks of the 350Z (ie. my one as we went for a good 'spin' in my car as well):

- "Must say that i'm still suprised how close the cars were in a rolling start. It could not have been closer if we tried."

- "What also staggered me is how sharp the cornering and more or less the agility of your car was. While the evo might have more grip, i think the 350 is certainly more agile."

- "Felt like a go-kart."

Last edited by DavidM; 09-13-2004 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:33 AM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You you were right, I did like to hear that.

Quick Reply: 350Z vs EVO8