Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Short Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 02:39 PM
scathing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Shifters

Has anyone installed a short shifter in their car?

I'm wondering if anyone's tried out the B&M kit, or the C's kit?

The price for the B&M kit from Performance Nissan Parts is USD$174.99, which is around AUD$243.

The price for the C's short shifter, from Perfect Run is ¥38400, or AUD$457.

I'm just wondering if the B&M kit is that bad, or the C's shifter is that much better that its worth paying almost double.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:10 PM
ZZZ-35

I'll have the Rogue Engineering short shifter fitted in about 5 weeks time, will give a full Aussie review.

David
Old 09-20-2004, 08:22 PM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read good things about the B&M unit. My only concern is that the stroke of the shift in the Z is already short compared to other cars and with an additional 30% less throw you may find that the gearbox cannot keep up with the shifts.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:50 PM
nuff

Well, i've just instaled the Nismo GT rubber shifter. and it reduces the stroke marginaly since it's a little shorter and smaller. Also since it's rubber, it makes the gearbox a little bit less notchy, since it absorbs a little bit of impact.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:46 AM
frosty

See the old posts. I think Harry's got some bad experiences with one and his is for sale.

FARZZLED
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2004, 01:24 AM
apsilon

I've had Cs in the past and wouldn't hesitate with them. I'm sure H will chime in with his experience shortly.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:49 AM
ypwpat

But aren't the Short Shift will make the SHift Shorter But will also make the shift Stiffer or using more effort to change gears?
Old 09-21-2004, 03:06 PM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ypwpat
But aren't the Short Shift will make the SHift Shorter But will also make the shift Stiffer or using more effort to change gears?
This happens when you shorton the stick and not move the fulcrum point of the linkage. If you change the linkage setup underneath the "feel" of the shift will be the same
Old 09-21-2004, 04:42 PM
scathing

From what I understand, most of the short shifters employ the same length stick, but just change that fulcrum point.

Harry, how did the shifter feel when you put it in?

I figure with the amount of dash and trim rattling I'm getting anyway, I may not notice more noise in the cabin....
Old 09-21-2004, 06:17 PM
harryw

Sorry Guys, I have been to sunny Melbourne for a few days!

The short shifter I have has to be described in two parts for me, the action and the rattle, and, please be aware that I have talked about this more times than I care to remember.

The one I bought was the titanium one put out by Dweeb, sorry I can't recall the company.

The action was great, very short, very sharp and very quick, but, it has none of the rubber insulation the OEM one does.

Totally different feel to the OEM one, once I put that back on I thought it was going to bend in half.

Yes, you do use more effort to select a gear but it just goes in so quick it makes it all worth while.

The noise was the thing I couldnt handle. It's not really that bad, I just dont like noises like that when Im driving. The control socket (plastic) would rattle in it's little hole at about 4500 - 5000 revs and that was it!

Anyway, if anyone wants to buy mine I am open to offers, its just sitting in the shed doing nothing.

As always

H
Old 09-21-2004, 06:23 PM
scathing

Harry - ballpark figure for the shifter?

If you don't like noises when driving, how do you cope with the car? I don't think there's a 350Z out there, that's past its first service, that doesn't have dash rattles of some sort.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:38 PM
frosty

SCATHING - I've had my gripes, but all is fixed (tyres) - I haven't got nor ever had a rattle of any kind in the car - and i'm at 40,000k!

Have you had the dash out - I know that it's wise to replace the clips rather than reuse?

FRIZZLEY
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2004, 02:18 AM
harryw

Same with me. Ive only had one thing, seat, that made a noise and that was fixed. That is, other than the tyre noise.

Shizzle what did you end up getting?

As far as the shifter goes, I'd take about half what I paid or there abouts, I suppose. Cost me, from memory about $550.

As always

H
Old 10-01-2004, 03:37 PM
scathing

Have you had the dash out - I know that it's wise to replace the clips rather than reuse?[/B]
I had the dash out twice. Once to install the Brant, and then the Bluetooth hands-free kit. But it was rattling before both these installs.

Funny you should mention it though - the trim just under the steering area has come loose on the side the climate control sensor sits (so right above your left knee). With the wheel in the way I can't see it; my passenger noticed it.

Nissan will be getting another angry, angry, visit from me shortly.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:16 AM
company man

Default 350Z Adjustable Short Shifter

The shifter adjusts both above and below the fulcrum. When you release the locking collar from the highest position, the shifter handle drops down, lowering the shift **** at the same time lengthening the shifter below the fulcrum, therefore shortening the throw both above and below. The shifter arm is a solid piece of 17-4 stainless steel that is hardened to 40 Rockwell along with some of the important internals. Basically stronger than the same material in a forged steel crankshaft. Your gonna break your arm before you can even bend this baby.

Nissan UD 2600 Turbo
if you can't beat'em, crush'em

Call Nissan MotorSports directly:

Nissan MotorSports (Div. of NissanUSA)
P.O. Box 191
Gardena, CA 90248

http://www.nissanusa.com/

Laurel Kline sales (310) 771-5043
(310) 538-2610
Old 12-12-2004, 09:26 AM
company man

Default Shifter Rattle

Originally posted by harryw

The short shifter I have has to be described in two parts for me, the action and the rattle
Even some of the stock shifters rattle.

The 350Z Adjustable Short Shifter for Nissan uses a modified stock Nissan Shifter Socket. It is a white fiberglass impregnated piece of plastic that the shifter lever ball snaps into to give it shifter rotation. The outside diameter of this piece is .020 to .030 thousands of an inch (.5 mm to .75 mm) smaller than the bore in the transmission tail piece it goes into. This is a huge gap. Some of your cars are getting an audible rattle over about 4000 rpm. The 350Z Adjustable Short Shifter for Nissan modifies the stock socket to get rid of this problem.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:04 AM
harryw

Without sounding rude, you're wrong!

The control socket is not where the rattle comes from. Dweeb (rallitec) tried this "improved" socket to try and fix the rattles with his product and it worked for some and not for others! For me it didn't work.

And, I could be wrong, but I cant see how you can adjust the length of the shaft below the fulcrum.

The distance between where the shifter sits in the gearbox(control socket) and where the selector screws into the bottom of the shaft can't be adjusted so how can the throw be shortened below?

Each to their own though.

As always

H
Old 12-14-2004, 07:42 AM
scathing

When I installed Harry's short shifter, it rattled for me.

When I removed all the centre console trim (shift ****, gear boot cover) then it didn't rattle at all. Putting either the shift **** or gear boot trim back on brought rattles in.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:48 PM
company man

Originally posted by harryw
Without sounding rude, you're wrong!

I'm in SoCal about 20 minutes from Nismo USA.
After installing the Adjustable Shifter on a pre-production G35 coupe at their facility, with a stock Socket, the shifter rattled like crazy above 4500 rpm. I mean HUGE. I modified the socket and reinstalled in the car and there was no rattling. The results were the same on two 350Zs and a G35 sedan. Nissan Motorsports has purchased the Shifters to sell through their US Nissan Dealers. Nismo is trying to decide if it will be an S-Tune or R-Tune product.

If you were to pull your shifter out, you would see that it's a slam dunk to extend the fulcrum. The Nissan Adjustable Short Shifter is Patent Pending.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:56 PM
harryw

No worries, just send me one and I will check it out in my car. I would be happy to check it our for you as I am keen as mustard to have a short shifter, just can't stand the noise.

But, as I said earlier, Dweeb did exactly the same thing and it rattled in some and not in others?

As always

H

Quick Reply: Short Shifters