Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Wheel Tramp

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 12:00 AM
frosty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Tramp

Any time I give it a bit, even in the wet, I get wheel tramp or wind-p some call it.

Don't like it a bit. I thought that it was a thing of the past and went away with solid axles.

Anyone else have this problem?

FRIZZLE
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2004, 12:32 AM
nang3

yep frosty i have that problem too !!! its such a PITA !!!!

i notice it mainly happens going straight or after changing to 2nd especially.. there has only ever been one time where i took off spinning and hit second and it was smoothly 'drifting' in a semi-straight line haha..

why do you reckon it happens?? suspension too firm or something??
Old 09-30-2004, 01:10 AM
frosty

Yair, nang, and also a "humping, pitching" unsteadyness
when cornering really on the limit.

I'ts very disconcerting - a steadier poise would make for better "feel" in the corner.

Frankly, I was amazed at both characteristics - I still think that
the Z is a glorified boulevarde cruiser, unfortunately.

FRIZZLE
Old 09-30-2004, 02:16 AM
nang3

yeh i think i know the 'humping' you mean, some corners i take on bumpy roads and it almost feels as though the car leaves the ground for a split second but theres no bump or anything.. weird..

that axle tramp crap is sh!tting me tho... its raining here and ive just been out and its doing it again haha... oh well..
Old 09-30-2004, 03:23 AM
zuff

If you think that Frosty you should have come to our cruise on the Putty rd!

No boulevard cruising in sight there! ;P
Old 09-30-2004, 03:39 AM
nsw350z

Since when was any of the later Z's not a boulevard cruiser?
Old 09-30-2004, 03:45 AM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was the tyres, I get it everytime I try to spin the wheels in a straight line.

But I cant remember trying to loose traction in a straight line with the S03s & 19s.

Last edited by mchapman; 09-30-2004 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:11 PM
frosty

Zuffy, it's just that the suspension is anything but sorted - what with alignment probs, no adjustments of sorts, tyre probs, "humping", tramping - where's the sports car?

I must say that the 245's on the front has helped turn-in heaps,
and the spacers have had a steadying effect, but overall the Z's a bit disappointing in the suspension department, IMHO.

The putty road - fark that road frighten's me - i've had a friend killed down there some years ago - and I nearly came to greif myself on another occasion. And it's always full of fuzz - need to be real careful.

Yeah, I must be getting old - 23 broken bones gettin' off the bikes
before they stopped, fortunately no car big ones while competing,
but plenty of brown streaks and minor stuff - mostly happy to get
my adrenalin rush away from harm's way now - ie on a big lonely
roundabout or sumpin'.

You have to be very careful when away with a mob - everyone gets excited, and inevitably there's various levels of competency but everyone wants to keep up. No corner marshalls and so-on. ***** - MUST be getting OLD!

FUGGEN.

Where's Harry - let's have a rush from the lights!

FRIZZLE
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2004, 03:31 PM
scathing

That's the problem with drives where you get a big crowd. Inevitably, unless you're close-knit, there's going to be a disparity between the fast and the slow. When the slow push it to their limits (or beyond) trying to keep up, that's when you start coming in to grief.

With a small group your lead pack can keep an eye on the guys behind and, assuming they're not jerks, lift off and wait for the other guys to catch up.

Your cruise is meant to be a community and social thing, and I'm always a bit annoyed when I run with other guys where some people have to be heroes and won't lift off if people are struggling. Not everyone knows where to go, and so they don't want to get left behind. Nor do they tell these guys that they'll wait at various points (that don't vary from the road) and they should run at their own pace.

The last Putty Road cruise we went on, the other guys know that if I wanted to I could have disappeared off into the distance. I wasn't attacking at my usual pace, except in a few spots, but I kept an eye on the cars behind me and after those brief squirts I'd back off until I could see every car in my mirrors again.

After riding in nuff's car, I'd say that the suspension problems are mostly dampers. With his OEM springs and Koni Yellows (set to minimum damping effect) the car glided over the road, rather than following every bump and dent. With the stock springs, the car didn't bodyroll any more than mine and so I think I could attack corners even faster in his car, since the car didn't bounce and squirm and kick back through the wheel.

I'm still trying to make myself get the Konis and not save up for a set of Tein Flex's (which pretty much doubles the outlay), but the EDFC calls to me....
Old 10-01-2004, 04:07 PM
KY350

Originally posted by mchapman
I thought it was the tyres, I get it everytime I try to spin the wheels in a straight line.

But I cant remember trying to loose traction in a straight line with the S03s & 19s.
Same here - I only ever get axle tramp (bouncing) when spinning the wheel from standstill. Never had a problem with the suspension when cornering fast, even over small bumps. In fact, I think that the suspension is awesome when it loads up in a bend - sits flat as.

Not sure how much tyres contribute to bouncing as I only put on a new brand of rubber yesterday afternoon. But from what Murray reports, axle tramp is not a problem with stickier rubber.

I'll give my initial impressions on my new rubber in another thread later today as I want to put a few more km under the rubber before commenting.

Frosty - if you're getting axle tramp when cornering, I'd have the car looked at by Nisshit as you may have a problem (or maybe I just don't drive as hard as you!).
Old 10-01-2004, 05:22 PM
zuff

Thnx for the concern Frosty...i know what you mean about speeding on a country road. You just never know whats around the corner.

As for wheel tramp, i don't get it at all.

I can take off from a stop with as much gusto as i want... but i have Tien springs.
I do recall getting it once with the oem springs when the car was new.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:43 AM
nang3

so Zuff, if you tramp it off the line in the wet, you get no axle tramp with your Tein springs???
Old 10-02-2004, 01:27 AM
Perth 350z

I don't get any wheel tramp - maybe coz I've got an auto??
Old 10-03-2004, 12:40 AM
zuff

I don't try anything in the wet in my car!

But in the dry I try to enjoy the power as much as is reasonable on an urban road.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:14 PM
nuff

Just butting into the discussion, since I'm back from my long weekend brake. As Scathing has noted, my car with konis doesn't get the bounce/wheel tramp or what ever you call it, but it did with the stock shocks, here's my old post where I've mentioned it. I've the stock springs by the way. Also the last time I floord the go fast pedal in the wet the rear end (and the wheels) stayed flat on the road, besides that it lost traction.

If you search for one of my first posts about the Z and my impression with it I mentioned something that the car was sliding like on ice when going through bumby corners. Since then I've been looking for solution and I've found it. I love the car now. I'm sure there are other products which fix the problems, some totally, others only to a certian degree (like Nismo suspension).

Here's my review and impression of the Koni shocks. Also ypwat has HKS coilovers, he promised a review, but he didn't deliver
Old 10-04-2004, 10:36 PM
frosty

NUFF - and now with the new alignment spece (whatever they are), the friggin' front tyres howl on the fast corners!

Gave ti a bit of a rush on the series of roundabouts on the
Lisarow onramps to the x-pressway, and had to POQ quick 'caus everyone looked to see what the scream was.

I can see something else in the not-too-distant future!

I'll go to your posts 'caus it's NBG how it is (the suspension I mean). How much was the Konies? Is that all I have to do?

S'NOMAN
Old 10-04-2004, 11:22 PM
nuff

i think your front tires are howling, because you have tire feathering. By the way, on the way from gold coast last night there were few roundabouts and I've sqeezed it few times, and no howling for me. So I'm not quiet sure what your problems is. Maybe the are approaching their end of life.

By the way, the shocks were AU$1200 shipped from USA. It should be cheaper now since the AU$ is stronger and the shocks have dropped in price (I think).