Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Let The Transformation Begin

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 11:59 PM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Let The Transformation Begin

Originally posted by APS
a few minor differences between the LHD and RHD model though nothing too serious.
Was the difference in the manifolds? As i believe this is the reason that the Greddy TT does not fit OZ/JDM models
Old 10-08-2004, 01:42 AM
ZZZ-35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I believe it was in wiring looms but Peter can add a little more detailed.

I think I'd better get some water proof underdaks to cope with all the excitement about to happen come Monday, sh#t sh#t I can't wait 3 more sleeps.

David
Old 10-08-2004, 05:47 AM
MR RIZK

I would like to know if it was the loom as I have compared the OZ and US ecu pinouts and they are the same except that the US has the evap canister.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:51 AM
Z350Lover

Murray:

I think it will be more than just 5K itself if one wants to upgrade just the internals... I don't know how complicated it might be for the engine works, but with more engine works done, I would say a replacement ECU might be needed... and if we move to Motec level, that will be around another 5K (M600, Throttle body control unit, cam control units and labour to tune) to ensure things are working fine. I might be wrong, but I would rather calculate more than less, so if I can save a couple of thousands towards the end, there will be a big smile on my face for sure!

cheers,

richie
Old 10-08-2004, 02:08 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by mchapman
A totally built motor might cost as much as 15K
I reckon just leave the Z engine dead stock for the TT conversion and concentrate fully on getting the engine tuned safely for our local premium unleaded fuel...............no more than say 7 to 8 psi turbo pressure.

As long as the engine is tuned safely/correctly (good air/fuel ratio, safe ignition timing map, and safe boost map) then the stock engine should be very reliable.

I'd spend any additional funding on a decent radiator and full flow engine oil cooler in the short term and then just install a decent set of billet con rods and lower comp forged pistons (9.3:1 comp ratio) down the path when the budget allows.

Just take it one step at a time and enjoy the ride guys.

Peter

APS
Old 10-08-2004, 04:40 PM
mchapman

Originally posted by Z350Lover
Murray:

I think it will be more than just 5K itself if one wants to upgrade just the internals... I don't know how complicated it might be for the engine works, but with more engine works done, I would say a replacement ECU might be needed... and if we move to Motec level, that will be around another 5K (M600, Throttle body control unit, cam control units and labour to tune) to ensure things are working fine. I might be wrong, but I would rather calculate more than less, so if I can save a couple of thousands towards the end, there will be a big smile on my face for sure!

cheers,

richie
Regarding Davids setup,
Providing the everything else(fuel, support systems etc) can handle the increased loads and you just upgrade the rods and pistons I would assume the tuneable ecu solution that came in the kit(Unchip?) would just need a retune and not total replacment.

But by the sounds of things from Aps Peters post it would be worth it to increase the cars cooling capabilities before progressing to the next level. It all depends on how far you want to go but with rods, pistons, radiator and oil cooler done you'd be good for another decent increase in power.

I think I will have to wait till my warranty finishes and I turn 25 before I can think about a turbo solution.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:00 PM
LemanZ

David, I can't wait and see after you complete the TT kits.

As for the cooling, do you think the after the TT kit install, it should also need the oil cooler? Because the Zed engine is not design for that much power??
Old 10-08-2004, 11:32 PM
MR RIZK

Originally posted by mchapman
I think I will have to wait till my warranty finishes and I turn 25 before I can think about a turbo solution.
Don't you mean 29 ? I assume for insurance purpose
Old 10-09-2004, 12:39 AM
mchapman

29? They've raised the insurance age braket to TWENTY NINE?!!
Old 10-09-2004, 10:45 PM
APS
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: Let The Transformation Begin

Originally posted by MR RIZK
Was the difference in the manifolds? As i believe this is the reason that the Greddy TT does not fit OZ/JDM models
No................APS designed the turbo exhaust manifols to suit both LHD and RHD Z's.

Peter

APS
Old 10-09-2004, 11:14 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by LemanZ
David, I can't wait and see after you complete the TT kits.

As for the cooling, do you think the after the TT kit install, it should also need the oil cooler? Because the Zed engine is not design for that much power??
The APS air cooled oil pan holds an additional 2 litres of engine oil so oil temp will not be a problem uless doing many laps of a race track...............the radiator would be the best place to start for additional engine cooling.

Peter

APS
Old 10-10-2004, 12:49 AM
MR RIZK

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Let The Transformation Begin

Originally posted by APS
No................APS designed the turbo exhaust manifols to suit both LHD and RHD Z's.

Peter

APS
Cool. Well thought out. So care to divulge what the difference was between the US and OZ spec?
Old 10-10-2004, 01:21 PM
APS
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let The Transformation Begin

Originally posted by MR RIZK
Cool. Well thought out. So care to divulge what the difference was between the US and OZ spec?
Would need to speak with the workshop foreman, the differences are only small to the best of my knowledge.

The wiring looms in slightly different positions and also the starter motor is on the opposite side of the engine from memory.

Peter

APS