Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Voiding Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 08:13 PM
ELL.21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voiding Warranty

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, just picked up my 350Z Track on the 2nd of September and already cant wait to mod her.
She's done 2400km and so far the only think i have upgraded is the K&N pod filter.

Future plans however involve imported Do-Luck 18" rims, Hi Tech exaust (after seeing the results from the dyno shootout), and finally either a APC TT kit or a Capa Vortech blower.

Now for the question...... what will all of these do to the engine warranty? Nissan said the pod is fine unless is at fault for a engine malfunction. With all the people driving around with exhausts does that mean they dont void the warranty?

I just would like to know if i have to wait for my 3 years to go before i can start modding.

P.S. I love my car
Old 10-10-2004, 09:07 PM
harryw

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your car. The only thing on your list that will void your warrantly will be the FI providing it can proven that it was the cause of the damage.

As always

H
Old 10-10-2004, 10:31 PM
WhiteZed

warranty is a load of crap anyway

i had lots of problems with mitsubishi

and what i have heard nisshit isnt much better
so i wouldnt worry about warranty, if something goes wrong they wont fix it anyway

welcome to the forum !!
Old 10-11-2004, 12:03 AM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is why you keep your OEM parts. If you know what I mean
Old 10-11-2004, 12:45 AM
ELL.21

Yeah, kept the airbox, so from everyone experience here with modding their Z has anything come up where it has voided the warranty for any reason?
Old 10-11-2004, 12:55 AM
scathing

I've taken my car in to Nissan with the HiTech on, and they've had no issues and made no mention of it. I haven't been in with the Popcharger yet, but that shouldn't affect anything either.

After having a chat with the service department, they said extractors would potentially void the engine warranty. You have to unplug a lot of shyte to get to the extractors, which you may damage or get dirty, you may possibly mess around with the O2 sensors, and apparently the factory manifolds have mounts to the chassis for load bearing, whereas aftermarket extractors don't, which puts more load on the bolt holes.

Obviously buggerising around with the ECU or doing any internal or head work will not look good should something fail. So I'd leave off getting an aftermarket ECU (or even piggyback, since they'll find the holes in the loom), cams, or nice internals.

Note that they can only void your warranty on things your mods might affect. If you've put on forced induction and the lids on the storage compartments fall off, they can't deny your warranty claim.

But, if you run twin turbos and you start blowing up gearboxes and diffs, you've got an uphill battle to prove that it wasn't the extra torque you're pumping through the driveline that caused it.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:43 AM
zuff

They can't void the warranty! They have to prove that a fault is caused by your mods or else they have to fix the problem.

E.g. if you buy the Vortech SC and then say why is the clutch slipping they'll laugh you out of the dealership.
But if you just do NA mods and you get excessive oil usage... fault with rings sealing etc... they can't do **** but fixing the fault. NO way your mods could do that.

Dealers will just try and make your life hell whether you have mods or not.

But in the end threat of legal action tends to bring them to the table.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:52 AM
harryw

Whilst I haven't done a lot of mods, my guys are fine with the Hi Tech, they have actually called me asking for the details to give to other Z owners.

You will always get dealers who are ***** no matter what. You just need to find one who is comfortable with what you want to do and you get on with.

Keep in mind though, if you go down the FI route then you can't blame Nisshit for knocking you back on anything that might be remotely caused by it, because, there are ***** on both side of the table!

As always

H
Old 10-11-2004, 01:56 AM
ELL.21

has anyone got any pictures of their Hi Tech setup? im very keen on getting one, however i dont want a setup that looks like i got some crummy cannon exhaust tip like some ricer. I prefer the stock ends.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:01 AM
harryw

Do a search in the Oz forum and you will find some pictures. I know mine is there somewhere.

Believe me it doesnt look nor sound like a ricer.

As always

H

try these

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hlight=hi+tech

couldnt find mine but here's Frosty's
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....h&pagenumber=2

Last edited by harryw; 10-11-2004 at 02:08 AM.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:09 AM
mchapman

If you run twin turbos it was the extra torque blowing gearboxes and diffs.

I dropped my Zedd in today to get gearbox problems fixed(synchros) and they might be replacing the whole thing, fingers crossed. Im not sure I trust the Nissan mechanics to rebuild it. I still think the gearbox is strong based on the number of guys running forced induction without dramas, eg Nizpro 740nm 350zTT.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:39 AM
ELL.21

cheers, how on to the next question. Is there anywhere in particulare i should be looking to get a hi tech exhaust done up here in brisbane? Any brisbanians got a hi tech?
Old 10-11-2004, 02:41 AM
harryw

I think the best bet would be to ring Lambros from Hi Tech and ask him.

As always

H
Old 10-11-2004, 06:02 AM
KY350

Originally posted by mchapman
If you run twin turbos it was the extra torque blowing gearboxes and diffs.

I dropped my Zedd in today to get gearbox problems fixed(synchros) and they might be replacing the whole thing, fingers crossed. Im not sure I trust the Nissan mechanics to rebuild it. I still think the gearbox is strong based on the number of guys running forced induction without dramas, eg Nizpro 740nm 350zTT.
Murray - what's happened to your gearbox? Are your gears crunching (worn synchros)? If so which gears? If its a simple syncho prob, my guess is that these will be replaced rather than the whole box. And if the Nissan gearbox is anything like my brothers old Alfa, then you'll be visiting the dealer for synchro replacement every few thousand kms!!!
Are there many peolpe running the Nizpro system. At a reported $45K, I'm guessing not, and I have heard nothing about how well or otherwise the drivetrain components on the original black Nispro Z are holding up.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:47 PM
mchapman

Originally posted by KY350
Murray - what's happened to your gearbox? Are your gears crunching (worn synchros)? If so which gears? If its a simple syncho prob, my guess is that these will be replaced rather than the whole box. And if the Nissan gearbox is anything like my brothers old Alfa, then you'll be visiting the dealer for synchro replacement every few thousand kms!!!
Are there many peolpe running the Nizpro system. At a reported $45K, I'm guessing not, and I have heard nothing about how well or otherwise the drivetrain components on the original black Nispro Z are holding up.
Yeah it grinds into 5th if you shift fast or at normal speed. The guy at Nissan said 5th is stuffed and they have to pull it apart but they will be pushing for a new gearbox from Nissan. At least he said he will be pushing for one

I know have to wait till the 21st so they can get a Nissan guy to drive it so they know what it sounds like. Mine is the 5ht that this problem has happened with. They will be getting me a new box but they will be getting an exchange box ready everywhere for ones that happen in the future.

No I only know of one running the Nizpro setup, I was saying allot of guys are running forced induction and I was giving an extreme example of a guy running forced induction with the standard gearbox. I don’t know how they are holding up but I did read that the gearbox for the most part is standard. The guy who bought it was mechanically inclined and chose the 350z because he knew it had a strong box.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:16 PM
scathing

Pictures:

Before

After

Due to the profanity filter, you'll need to fix the URL yourself.

Feel free to supply your own vowel.

The tips look stock. Only someone who knows what to look for (i.e. the tank being smaller and shiny) gives the exhaust away as being aftermarket.

The sound is also fine at idle, but when you rev it out it takes a nicer, more aggressive sound.

The factory exhaust sounds quite muted and a little too PC - the HiTech gives the Z's noise some hair on its chest.

The best part is that, with the new exhaust, the engine will rev freely to redline. No more choking at the high end and waiting for that last 1000RPM to come.

Last edited by scathing; 10-12-2004 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:52 PM
mchapman

Good stuff,

FYI
If your idle becomes ruff get Nissan to reset the idle control with the consult.

Mine became ruff and I think it was because of the increased flow from the air filter and exhaust. But it didnt become ruff straight away.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:12 PM
ELL.21

Who's Lambros and where do i get his number?
Old 10-12-2004, 06:22 PM
harryw

Lambros is Mr Hi Tech and you will get him on 02 95695888.

As always

H
Old 10-12-2004, 08:03 PM
scathing

Strangely, my idle was just fine after the install. I never touched the ECU or anything else. Just installed and went.

Anyway, you can always contact Mr Hi Tech this way.

Quick Reply: Voiding Warranty