Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Track pads database?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:18 PM
OPTIMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
Manufacturer: Carbotech
Compound: XP8's
Operating temperature range: 200 degrees F - 1350+ degrees F
Coefficient of friction: if known
Brake system: OEM Brembo
Application: HPDE
Price paid: List is $162 Front & $139 Rear
Durability: Good
Rotors friendliness: Very Good

I have 2 HPDE's on the pads (equals 4 track days, 3 30 minute sessions per day), and I think I have 1 more HPDE left in them. Very good initial bite and good modulation. I have not noticed any fade.

I have experienced some unusual pad wear in the rear. The outside edge of the pad (the edge near the outside of the rotor) has worn more than the inside edge of the pad (the edge of the pad near the senter of the rotor). Not sure why.

I will update the post and let you know if the last through my next HPDE.
I am planning to try this setup out at Summit Point in March with my newly acquired 06 Track model. Where are you guys ordering these pads? I'd prefer to order them up with some fresh rotors (brembo or frozen?). Swap the day before the event, 2 days at the track, swap them when I get home. Maybe I'll swap at the track, but haven't done a change yet in this car and not sure how quick I am.

I digress - best place to order a package? Prefer some proper brake fluid in the package as well.

Last edited by OPTIMO; 02-10-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:22 AM
ZSpectrum

Manufacturer:Hawk
Compound:hps
Operating temperature range:
Coefficient of friction:
Brake system: oem non brembo 350z
Application: street
Price paid:
Durability:too crappy too find out
Rotors friendliness: had pads on for less than 200 miles

General impressions:crap crap crap crap crap crap and more crap

Manufacturer:Ebc
Compound:green
Brake system: OEM non-Brembo
Application: tail of the dragon
Price paid:
Durability:fair
Rotors friendliness: fair

General impressions: Good solid street/ track pads they lasted 3-4 days of constant abuse on the dragon and 5k or so on the street.

Manufacturer:Ferodo
Compound:ds2500
Brake system: 2007 sit brembo
Application: track/ street
Price paid:
Rotors friendliness:good

General impressions: Great street/ track pads with some ss lines and race fluid these pads only faded after 15+ minutes of abuse on the track I give these pads a b

Manufacturer:Project Mu
Compound:H+
Brake system: 2007 sti brembo
Application: track/ street
Price paid:
Rotors friendliness: not very

General impressions: These are by far my favorite pads Ive ever owned, I have experienced very little fade, the modulation is very linear. I only wish I was running on r compounds when i ran these. On the street they are ok, but they wear rotors badly. They dont groove them very badly, but they do wear through them well, this might be because of my slotted rotors. But I give this pad an A.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:00 PM
nramsey

Originally Posted by racerbob4
email Danny at Carbotech@gmail.com Ask Danny what he recommends, he wont suggest anything bad. We have been happy with their pads for several years now including the Z car and the C5 corvette.
Thanks. Based on Carbotech's recommendation I got the XP10s front and rear since I'm still on stock tires. I have a track day March 16th at Pacific Raceways so will report back on how they work.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Morris

Originally Posted by Morris
Manufacturer: Carbotech
Compound: XP8's
Operating temperature range: 200 degrees F - 1350+ degrees F
Application: HPDE
Price paid: List is $162 Front & $139 Rear
Durability: Good
Rotors friendliness: Very Good

I have 2 HPDE's on the pads (equals 4 track days, 3 30 minute sessions per day), and I think I have 1 more HPDE left in them. Very good initial bite and good modulation. I have not noticed any fade.

I have experienced some unusual pad wear in the rear. The outside edge of the pad (the edge near the outside of the rotor) has worn more than the inside edge of the pad (the edge of the pad near the senter of the rotor). Not sure why.

I will update the post and let you know if the last through my next HPDE.
Updating my prior post to let you know that the pads easily made it through the 3rd HPDE. Probably have enough left for another HPDE on a track that is not too hard on brakes. But, I think I will change them out and just keep these as a back-up set.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:23 PM
RandomHer0

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need some help here, trying to find a dedicated track pad.

Edit: I should add I will be driving to and from the track with these pads/rotors.

HAWK doesn't seem to make the HT10 for OEM Brembo.
I fade out HPS easily in 3 laps.

I have an 03 G35, with OEM Brembos and R-Comp tires.

I need something that will hold up.

Looking at the HAWK DTC 60 and Blue for the rear. Problem is the DTC 60 need to be warmed up to 500F to get the bite.

Anyone know of another line that bites in a lower range but still work till high ranges without fade?

Last edited by RandomHer0; 03-06-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:03 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Take a look at the BHP's.

Either the PR1 or the CR6.

I will see if I can find the heat ranges on them

Last edited by mhoward1; 03-06-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:14 PM
RandomHer0

Thanks! The PR 1 seems very decent with a high fade resistance, any idea how they treat rotors? I assume they eat them good due to them being a race pad.

PR1
Intended exclusively for racing vehicles over 2500 pounds in weight. The exception to this would be for Formula cars that derive high levels of aerodynamic down force. PR1 offers the latest advancements in modern friction technology. This carbon based semi-metallic composite is a high density compression molded material offering unparalleled initial bite, control, and release. With a fade resistance of at least 1900F, PR1 will continue to perform long after other friction materials fade to nothing.

Warning: Due to this incredible heat range, BHP recommends GS610 brake fluid to reduce the potential of fluid boil. This friction composite must NEVER be used for any street application! Recommended applications: Race cars weighing in excess of 2500lbs, including T1, T2, T3, ITS, AS, American Iron, etc.

CR6
Developed for cars under 2500 lbs, this organic-low metallic compound offers very progressive torque development with excellent control and release. Operating temperatures are from ambient to 1000F. CR6 offers a wide variety of uses including autocross, beginner/intermediate track schools, and dedicated race use on lighter race cars (ie: Spec Miata). Although CR6 is street able enough to be driven to/from your event, making it a “jack of all trades” brake pad. CR6 is intended for OFF ROAD USE ONLY!

Recommended applications: All Autocross, Beginner / Intermediate Track School and Race Cars under 2500 lbs.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:21 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

I have been runing the CR6 pads and they are VERY rotor friendly, much better than HTB's. I would say about the same as HT-10s
Old 03-06-2008, 01:28 PM
jgregory124

great thread
Old 03-06-2008, 04:12 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

I asked Matt from BHP to post the Specifications for each pad. He should be here or will send them to me shortly
Old 03-06-2008, 04:13 PM
MaddMatt

Hi Guys, Matt from BHP Brakes here. Marty asked me to chime in with specs and applications of our compounds.

RandomHer0 found the descriptions a few posts up. I'll try to give you a bit more info and examples of what they are similar to that you guys have probably used in the past.

CR6: This is a light-medium duty race pad. I would not sell it to a T2 racer, but it's great for a beginner-intermediate track school guy. It's good to ~1000F with a torque curve as flat a the state of Florida. It works great cold and is used by a few autocrossers. I drive this compound on a daily basis. You betcha it's rotor friendly, and the dust washes right off with soap and water. I have noticed some noise under light line-pressure use, but that's pretty much to be expected with a high friction pad. This is a good multi-use pad. Absolutely perfect for the guy who wants to change pads at home and drive to/from the track. Think Hawk HP+ with about another 200-300F fade resistance.

PR1: This is really serious stuff here. Very high bite and very high friction with a fade point of 1900F+ (you'll melt the calipers off your car before you fade them). This is what I sell to the T2 racers and the advanced-instructor guys. The torque curve is still Florida flat. Rotor aggressiveness: I'd put it between Carbotech and Hawk. Really not too bad IMO. As far as competition, it competes with the likes of PFC 01, Hawk DTC70 and Raybestos ST-41 compounds. The dust is not super nice to the wheels. I would not drive this stuff on the street. This is for serious track guys who trailer their cars, or at least change pads at the track. I'd say R-compounds are likely needed. These things are a bit too strong for street tires.

Here's our application list. Hit me up with a PM if you have any questions.

See you at the track,

Matt
Old 03-06-2008, 04:34 PM
RandomHer0

Wow thats great Matt, thanks for Chiming in. So you think the CR6 are fine for a 3400lbs G35 on R-Compounds?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:05 PM
kwadell

Default HAWK DTC-70 front ...HT-10 rear

Manufacturer: HAWK
Compound: DTC-70
Operating temperature range: 500-1600 deg F
Coefficient of friction: ? (very high)
Brake system: StopTech ST-40 front, ST-22 rear (HT-10)
Application: TRACK
Price paid: ~ $250
Durability: Seems reasonable - 9 to 12 track days
Rotors friendliness: No issues so far

General impressions:
I called STOPTECH and talked through the tracks I use and they recommended the DTC-70 for the front and the HT-10 for the rear. The advertised description is pretty accurate. Very high initial bite but very controllable with excellent modulation at the limit. Imagine an egg shell between your foot and the brake and that's how precise you need to be. I think it helps you become a smooth driver. Absolutely love these pads on the track. Massive brake dust, noise on the track is fine. Brake dust on the inside of the rims is really tough to get off. Drive these pads on the street and they make tons of noise. I've been trying to find something cheaper but I don't know if I could ever back off on the performance these pads deliver. Wear wise, I've been getting about 2 all day sessions plus 8 X 20 minutes sessions within HPDE. There's still life in them but the wear is enough that you don't want to start an all day session with that little pad left. The rotors still appear to be hanging in there with no issues. I'm on my 4th set of pads and rotors are still fine. With the StopTech BBK I've never had a fade issue.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Octogoogles

Has anyone tried the Rotora h2 ceramic pads? Looking for a decent street occasional track set up.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:00 AM
OPTIMO

Originally Posted by nramsey
Thanks. Based on Carbotech's recommendation I got the XP10s front and rear since I'm still on stock tires. I have a track day March 16th at Pacific Raceways so will report back on how they work.
I just ordered up the XP10s F and R as well. Doing Summit Point Main next Friday-Saturday.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:19 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by RandomHer0
Wow thats great Matt, thanks for Chiming in. So you think the CR6 are fine for a 3400lbs G35 on R-Compounds?
^+1 Would like to know as well since BHP website is stating the CR6 is for cars under 2,500lbs.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:38 PM
shinkuu

Manufacturer: Raybesto
Compound: ST-41
Operating temperature range: very high
Coefficient of friction: ? (very high)
Brake system: 06 Non Brembo
Application: TRACK
Price paid: ~ forgot
Durability: 1/2 worn down after 5 track days (Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Spring Mountain)
Rotors friendliness: No issues so far

Had to chime in on these brake pads. They are amazing for someone like myself. I used Carbotech XP8s in the front and those only lasted me 1 track day and about 1000 street miles. I know im not supposed to drive on these types of brake pads on the streets but even with my ST-41s, i'm getting good even wear.

I've lost all my brake fade problems. I catch up to a lot of people under heavy late braking and frankly, these pads are too much for my azenis tires. i'm sticking to these pads for a while for track only applications.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:28 AM
MaddMatt

Originally Posted by z-u-later
^+1 Would like to know as well since BHP website is stating the CR6 is for cars under 2,500lbs.

For driving schools, yes. For T2 racing, no.

IF you are a beginning/novice/intermediate, you will be well served by CR6 as it is a compound that is easy to drive with no bad habits, and can be driven to/from the track. If you are an advanced/instructor type person, you may want to consider PR1.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Chiefgroover

Manufacturer: Endless
Compound: CCR
Operating temperature range: 50 to 800
Coefficient of friction:
Application: Track days and normal road driving
Price paid: $460
Durability: Very Good
Rotors friendliness: not so good

General impressions: These pads can take all the track day laps I can throw at them. Nice progressive feel, no chance of overheating them. Little dust, and not the quietest at very low speeds. One 80mph stop heats them up.
I normally use endless CCX pad, which are quieter, almost no dust and what dust there is happens to be red lol, and easy on the rotors. Faultless CCR performance for the hardcore racer who isnt bothered about rotor life. Otherise knock yourself out with the CCX pad, my all time favourite.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Manufacturer: Endless
Compound: CCX
Operating temperature range: 210-1300F
Coefficient of friction: 0.35-0.45
Brake system: Endless 6 piston BBK up front, stock non Brembo rear using DS2500 rear pads
Application: club type track days and normal road driving
Price paid: varies by caliper
Durability: Excellent
Rotors friendliness: Very good

I've had these on the car for a year now, and absolutely love them. I made the selection with help from Dom at Endless USA when I got their BBK. My previous setup was on an AP BBK using Porterfield R4S (great bite, but they tore up my AP rotors), and then using the AP BBK with DBA 5000 rotors and DS2500. Even when dead cold these have a very nice, consistent bite, and it gets even better as the heat up. Dust is surprisingly milder than the DS2500's were and quieter than the DS2500 were as well.

Quick Reply: Track pads database?