Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Track pads database?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 04:05 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Track pads database?

This is the track Brake pad Database.

Quick References:
Brembo brakes: Search Results

Standard System: Here and here

Aftermerket

Attention:

Please start all new postings with:
Brake system (Standard, Brembo, Aftermarket):
Manufacturer:
Compound:

Other items you may want to include:

Operating temperature range:
Coefficient of friction: if known
Brake system: OEM non-Brembo, OEM Brembo, StopTech, AP,…
Price paid:
Durability:
Rotors friendliness:
General impressions:

EDIT - Adding details so search in this thread will work better.

Last edited by mhoward1; 05-14-2010 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Adding details so search in this thread will work better.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:06 AM
Kolia

Manufacturer: Cobalt Friction (http://www.cobaltfriction.com)
Compound: Spec VR
Operating temperature range: 350-1550F
Coefficient of friction: 0.64
Brake system: OEM Brembo
Application: Road Course HPDE
Price paid: 350$ (200FR/150RR)
Durability: Excellent with street tires (11 days), Average with R-comps (6 days)
Rotors friendliness: Very rotors friendly on the track. Some surface cracking (radial), little wear.

General impressions:

These were the first race pads I’ve ever had. Bed-in is quick but a rest period is necessary after the initial “green fade” to get the maximum out of these.

Initial bite is good. Brake torque is easily modulated with a linear response. Release characteristics are excellent, allowing for an easy transition from braking to accelerating. When new, they shield fairly well the caliper from heat.

I like these pads a lot. Availability is limited right now.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:08 AM
Kolia

Manufacturer: Performance Friction (http://performancefriction.com/)
Compound: 01
Operating temperature range: 167-2000F
Coefficient of friction: N/A
Application : Road Course HPDE
Price paid: N/A (bought used)
Durability: Unknown yet.
Rotors friendliness: Not good. After one day at the track, the rotors had visibly worn down. Previous mini-fracture from thermal stress are gone, probably grinded away.

General impressions:

Bed-in procedure must be followed to get the pads to work anywhere near “normal” track expectation. Once cooled down, the nest session is great. Initial bite is excellent; the pad generates a lot of braking torque. Not as smooth when releasing as the Spec VR, still very comfortable.

IMO, these guys perform better than the Spec VR, but are much harder on the rotors. Considering the cost of replacement rotors on the Z and the fact that I’m not racing anybody but myself, I’ll switch to other pads quickly.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:57 AM
dnguyent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manufacturer: Cobalt Friction (http://www.cobaltfriction.com)
Compound: Spec VR (front), GT Sport (rear)
Operating temperature range: 350-1550F (Spec VR), 75-950F (GT Sport
Coefficient of friction: 0.64 (Spec VR), .48 (GT Sport)
Brake system: Stoptech 355mm BBK in front, Non-brembo OE rear
Price paid: USD350 (250/100)
Durability: Spec VR's lasted 10 days on street tires AND 5 days on r-comps. GT sport lasted only 3.5 days on r-comps.
Rotors friendliness: Both compounds appear to be very friendly on rotors.

General impressions:
This combination felt great! There was good balance of friction between front and rear, and the car remained stable under hard braking. However, rear pads did not even last 4 days on r-comps. I don't think many race pads will either. Most of the wear for the front Spec VR's occurred when I switched to r-comps; otherwise, I think I could have made them last 20 track days on street tires with the 355mm BBK. I would buy the Spec VR's again if it wasn't for the limited selection of complementary pads for the rear.

I recently tried the Spec VR in the front (<1/4" remaining) and brand new Raybestos ST43 in the rear, and it was a horrible mix. It could be that the fronts were worn too much, and lost heat capacity. There's too much friction in the rear, and it causes my EBD/ABS to go off at the rear first. Now that the Spec VR's are gone, I will put on the Raybestos ST41 up front. Review is forthcoming...
Old 08-31-2006, 08:04 AM
dnguyent

Default Hawk HPS

Manufacturer: Hawk
Compound: HPS (front & rear)
Operating temperature range: Don't know, but it's not very high
Coefficient of friction: Don't know, but it's not very high
Brake system: Non-brembo OE
Price paid: USD125
Durability: 5 track days as a beginner.
Rotors friendliness: Compound appear to be very friendly on rotors.

General impressions:
OK, this is a horrible compound for either street or track. There is barely a bite, and the friction level is so low that it does not inspire confidence in braking zones. The only thing good about this compound is the lack of dust. I WOULD NOT recommend this compound. For the street, the Axxis Ultimates so much better, but they do dust more than the oe pads.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:19 AM
daveh

Manufacturer: Porterfield
Compound: R4(front & rear)
Coefficient of friction: .5
Brake system: Stoptech / Non-brembo OE
Price paid: @200 total for front and rear
Durability: 6 Days front / 2 days rear
Rotors friendliness: Probably one of the most rotor friendly track pads out there.
General impressions:
Excellent modulation and feedback. I'd consider them to be a 'club race' pad at best. Our heavy cars generate too much heat for these brakes with R-compounds. This would be a great 'intro' track pad for an intermediate driver however. I'd classify them somewhere between a street pad and full professional (rotor eating) race pad.

Manufacturer: Raybestos
Compound: ST-43 (front & rear)
Coefficient of friction: .65
Application: Road Course
Price paid: @ $360 total for front and rear
Durability: 12 Days front / 9 days rear
Rotors friendliness: Not too bad for an aggressive pad once on the track. I've been replacing rotors about once or twice a year. General impressions:
They have a lot of torque and take some getting used to, but once you do, it's hard to go back to anything less. Modulation is excellent. From my experience, the stamp sized rear pads will last you multiple weekends, but I would expect they might be overwhelmed if you have a high HP car (ie turbo Z). I would not use these with anything less than an R-compound tire as they would quickly overpower any street tire.
Note:
They material does not mix well with street pads. A technique that is working for me now is to run these on the street a couple of days prior to the track to clean up the rotors. Or swapping out dedicated track rotors (I got tired of this after doing it for a full season).
I may try the ST-41's up front just for kicks, but so far I'm happy with these after 2 full seasons of hard driving and multiple sets of pads. I've converted many people to the st-43's who agree that they're a wonderful pad.

Added 8/13/07:
Compound: ST-41 (Front) ST-43 (Rear)
Coefficient of friction:
Application: Road Course
Price paid: @ $220 for fronts
Durability: excellent
Rotors friendliness: Good (for a track pad)
General impressions:
Finally got around to trying out the 41's in the front in conjunction with the 43's in the rear. I like this combo even better than 43's on all four corners!
The 41's had more bite while maintaining excellent modulation. The release characteristics were ok but a bit trickier to master smoothly for optimal weight transfer, but are certainly manageable.
My intention with this setup was to move more bias to the front because I felt the old setup put too much force to the rear and caused some rear abs activation and too much trailbraking rotation. The 41/43 combo was a step in the right direction. I could feel the fronts clawing under braking before the rears.
They took a while get up to temp so caution must be used on the first hot lap!
The 41's are definatly not be used with street tires. I would even say they were borderline overpowering on my toyos.
I've found my new brake setup!

Last edited by daveh; 08-13-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:52 AM
dnguyent

(http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/raybestos.html)
Compound: ST-41 (front), ST-43 (rear)
Operating temperature range: Don't know, but they are full race pads
Coefficient of friction: Don't know...not published on web site
Brake system: Stoptech 355mm BBK in front, Non-brembo OE rear
Price paid: USD440 (260/180)
Durability: Keep in mind that I get 7-8 20-minute sessions, so more than the normal track day, which is 4-5 20-minute sessions. Both the ST41 and ST43 pads have lasted ~6 track days with about 1/8" pad material left... probably good for another 2 sessions. I got some crumbling of the material after 4 track days, but they still functioned.
Rotors friendliness: Both compounds appear to be friendly on rotors.

General impressions:
This combination has too much rear bias for me, as ABS would activate nearly immediately upon brake application. It could be that the 355mm stoptech kit is configured for a little less overall torque rating than the 332mm stoptech kit. The ST42 in the rear might be better for my brake setup as it has less mu than the ST43.

Another note for durability is that I've gotten faster in the past 12 months, so 6 track days is by no means a good comparison to the durability of other pads I've used in the past.

I'm going to try the Cobalt XR2 with GT Sport in the rear next. Review forthcoming...
Old 02-14-2007, 11:01 AM
12AutoX

Compound: Blue 9012
Operating temperature range: 250-1000
Coefficient of friction: (med/high torque)
Brake system: OEM non-Brembo fronts
Application: HPDE, time attack
Price paid: $200
Durability: high
Rotors friendliness: not.

General impressions: These are track-only pads. I drove to a couple events with them, with minimal stopping/traffic. Once they heat up, they are not as harsh on rotors, but they cause rotors to turn white/orange, spider web cracking, and heavy grooving. Excellent modulation and strong bite. I can't imagine wearing these pads out, because the rotors/dust seals will die long before then. If you don't mind buying other people's used rotors for track purposes, they are excellent.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:33 PM
shinkuu

Manufacturer: Project Mu
Compound: B-Force
Operating temperature range: 0-500 degrees C
Coefficient of friction: 0.32 ~ 0.42
Brake system: 2006 Non Brembo brakes
Application: HPDE
Price paid: $160 F & R
Durability: 2 track days and 3 months daily driving
Rotors friendliness: good

General impressions: First impressions on these pads weren't good. After bedding them in (i know i did it right cause it stunk), initial bite was still not as good as stock. Upgraded to high temp fluid and SS lines and the initial bite and pedal feel still wasn't there. On track, brake fade wasn't noticeable for the weekend. Even slamming on the brakes, it was hard to get them to lock up. I could use something with better bite. I know this is not a track only pad but I did use it at the track with decent results. A good upgrade from stock but I'm going to opt for something more aggressive next time. I was limited to choices because of the new front brakes for 2006.

Last edited by shinkuu; 02-14-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Nihilation

Manufacturer: Project Mu
Operating temperature range: 32-932 degrees F
Brake system: Brembo
Application: Street, HPDE & Time Attacks
Price paid: $160 F & R
Durability: These lasted me 13k miles of daily driving including eight tracks days and two autocrosses.
Rotors friendliness: haven't looked

General impressions: They don't dust nearly as much as Hawk HP+ pads but seem to grab every bit as well. Unlike the Hawk HP+ pads the Project Mu B-Force's only squeal occassionally at very low speed stops- less than 5mph. Dust is very low, much less than OE Brembo pads which is strange because these pads have amazing bite. Have yet to fade them in a VIR Full HPDE2 session.

I used these pads on the car when it was stock at VIR Full without any issues. Continuous braking from 130+ without hint of fade. Ran these on my old NSX and they performed great at two time attacks. Would definitely recommend these pads and purchase again.

Last edited by Nihilation; 05-24-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:57 AM
z-u-later

Manufacturer: Project U
Operating temperature range: 32-932 degrees F
Brake system: OEM Non-Brembo, STOPTECH Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Motul RBF600 Racing Brake Fluid
Application: Street, Autocross & HPDE
Price paid: $160 Front & Rear
Durability: ~500 miles of weekend driving and three autocross events (19 runs)
Rotors friendliness: Okay

General impressions: I had these pads installed by a shop in early January '07, along with the STOP TECH stainless steel brake lines and Motul RBF600 racing brake fluid. My Z is strictly a weekend car, with occassional street use during the week. Once a month, my Z is driven at a local auto-x event.

My first opportunity to test these pads was during a rainy auto-x event in January. I noticed that my brakes have a nicer bite than OEM. I think it's more of a combination of the pads and the new steel brake lines. I was confident braking with these new pads in the rain but still slightly concerned since I still have my stock Potenza tires. Even so, my Z handled well in the rain with these pads. During the February & March auto-x events, I had a chance to really test these pads. I was braking late & braking hard, and the Z handled really, really well. Very good stopping power. Have not experienced any fade at all.

As far as dust is concern, there is hardly any. However, I noticed that I now have scuff (lines) marks on my rotors since I installed these pads but that's expected since they're more aggressive pads than the OEMs. Also, the shop did a great job bedding in the pads since I don't hear any squeals at all.

I really like these pads and I would highly recommend these to anyone interested in pads for street and light track use.

Last edited by z-u-later; 03-27-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:41 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the PFCs, and I know there is a newer 03 compound out there. Anybody have any experience with it?
FWIW... Not personally but I know a WC Touring driver that tried them and went back to his trusty 01s. He felt that the 03s just hit too hard on intial bite, at least for his braking style.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:14 AM
daveh

Originally Posted by John
I want to re-invigorate this discussion as I know there are new compounds out on the market (some of which I simply don't know about).

For frame my perspective, I'm going to speak strictly to race pads. In the past, I've used Cobalt VRs, Carbotech XP11 and XP10s (blech), and PFC01s. I love the PFCs, and I know there is a newer 03 compound out there. Anybody have any experience with it?
Porterfield told me that the 03's are not necessarily better, they just have more bite. Good for applications where you need more front bias.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:51 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
FWIW... Not personally but I know a WC Touring driver that tried them and went back to his trusty 01s. He felt that the 03s just hit too hard on intial bite, at least for his braking style.
Originally Posted by daveh
Porterfield told me that the 03's are not necessarily better, they just have more bite. Good for applications where you need more front bias.
OK, that's good to know - if anything, my rear needs a little more bite as they're simply not wearing at all.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:29 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Manufacturer: Endless
Compound: Super Street "S-sport"
Operating temperature range: 0 - 500ºC (32 - 932ºF)
Coefficient of friction: 0.35 - 0.43
Brake system: OEM non-Brembo
Application: Agressive Street / Light Track
Price paid: $260 F+R
Durability: 4 HPDEs, 12+ Autocrosses, 6K miles of daily drive.
Rotors friendliness: Good

General impressions: After some initial concerns, I've come to really like these brakes. Bed-in was smooth. While not under full track conditions, I've run them in 4 HPDEs and never had a problem with fade. Their initial bite is just as good if not better than the OEM pads were. I use them pretty hard in autocrossing and they stop smoothly and consistantly. Based on some recent rotor thickness measurements, I don't believe they are very harsh at all.

My only problem with them is that when they get soaked by washing or driving through standing water, the rust bloom that forms on the pads and/or rotors can render the brakes almost non-existant. I've since learned that after washing the Z or driving in hard rain, I make several hard stops to dry/clean the rotors.

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 03-27-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:58 AM
daveh

Here's a helpful chart that I found.

http://ntexasevos.org/doc/RaybestosPadData.pdf
Old 04-03-2007, 06:08 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manufacturer: PFC
Compound: 01
Operating temperature range: 1400ºF
Coefficient of friction: .65
Application: Race
Price paid: $240+S&H
Durability: ~4 track weekends, depending on temp and track

General impressions: Amazing pad, worlds better feel than the high-end Carbotechs, and a bit more civilized than the Cobalt VRs. Great bite, but smooth hold with a linear pedal feel - the more you push, the more it grabs. I can't speak highly enough of the feel and consistency.

Note: Pad has been temporarily discoutinued until further notice due to lack of demand.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
streetracer

Manufacturer: Ferodo
Compound: DS 2500
Operating temperature range: MOT of around 1,000 degrees F
Coefficient of friction: 0.50
Application: Street/Race
Price paid: $100 Front/$85 Rear
Durability: Never tracked them but I have noticed they get noticeably better when heated

General impressions: A little dusty but you can use the car for a while after a wash and still have the rims clean. No squealing at all at any speed. Very grabby, specially when heated up. It has about a 35% less compressibility than other products so pedal feel is on the firm side. So far I'm very pleased, specially since it doesn't make sounds and I use the car for street applications. Very linear braking, and after 100 plus they really kick in. I use them in package with Motul 5.1 and Goodridge lines. Good combo.

Last edited by streetracer; 03-07-2008 at 03:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:53 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Compound: HT10
Operating temperature range: 200 - 1400
Coefficient of friction: not known
Brake system: 2006 OEM non-Brembo
Application: Autox, track, very little street
Price paid: $388.00 (fronts custom cut from an AP caliper application)
Durability:
Rotors friendliness: On speaking terms but not really friends
General impressions:

First corner on the track give a little extra room because these pads need some heat. After that they bite well, great modulation, and great release. Pretty easy to get into the front ABS if you're sloppy with brake pedal application. You can very easily hold whatever decel rate you choose and can make small adjustments without really thinking about it. Don't know about wear yet but the pads look unused after 2 hours of track time.

On the street these pads are very dusty and noisy.

UPDATE: Still holding up well and the rotors are blue, but not cut down. 8 hours of track time, 2 autocrosses, and 2 autocross practices. Very nice modulation on the track.

Last edited by betamotorsports; 07-21-2007 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Manufacturer: Axxis www.axxisbrakes.com
Compound: ULT (formerly called Ultimate)
Operating temperature range: 900ºF
Coefficient of friction: unknown
Application: Street/AutoX
Price paid: $100 for set of all 4
Durability: Have lasted about a year and a half now, including around 10 AutoX days on street tires and R-comps.
Rotor friendliness: Hardest on the rotors in the Axxis line, but have been running them with xdrilled/slotted rotors with no problems.

General impressions:

Installed the pads at the same time as the rotors, and it has proven to be a great setup. Works well even when cold, since they don't need much heat to work optimally. Good pedal feel and good initial bite. Really quiet, as the only time they make noise is when you come to a stop with wet rotors during rainy days. Also extremely good price point. Only downside is that they dust ALOT, but that's not something I've ever been concerned with. Bought a new set about 6 months ago thinking I'd need to replace them soon, but haven't needed to yet. It's a high-performance ceramic street pad, but not really recommended for track use. I'll still give it a shot and see how it feels, when I hit my 1st trackday this summer.

Last edited by Triple8Sol; 05-05-2007 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Track pads database?