Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

need help with sway bar settings

Old 11-24-2009, 03:36 PM
travis0260

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with sway bar settings

Hey guys looking for sway bar settings.
I’m starting to get my car setup and need some advice from AutoX competitors with similar setups.

This is what I have:
2006 350Z base (currently open diff)
6 speed

Tires:
Front = 265-35-18 Hankook Ventus rs2
Back = 265-40-18 BFG G-Force kd

Springs = stock
Shocks = stock
Rims = stock

Eibach adjustable sway bars:
Front = two holes each side set to least aggressive setting
Back = three holes each side set to middle hole on each side

With the current sway bar setup the car tends to oversteer easily. If I apply too much throttle exiting a turn the transition between traction and loosing all control of the back of the car is almost immediate. I believe most of my issue traces back to the open diff and its inability to distribute torque between the two tires.

To help remedy the issue I’ve purchased a factory LSD from a friend that works at Nissan. What I need is some recommendation for the sway bar settings. Let me know what works on your ride.

Thanks

Old 11-24-2009, 05:44 PM
DerekW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lowest stiffness in the front.
OEM or NO bar in the rear.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:24 PM
guitarist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd actually go with the stock bar in the rear and the stiffest, baddest, biggest bar you can find up front. That will actually help plant the inside rear wheel better, and improve front end responsiveness.

I ran the Cobb 35mm (copy of the Hotchkis bar iirc) on full stiff to pretty good effect in BS (CS in 2010). Putting the OEM bar back on would let you stay in BS/CS, assuming you have no other illegal mods.

If you aren't legal for stock class (i.e. some other mods put you in BSP or SSM or something) then I'd drop the rear bar, run about medium stiff up front and let the suspension articulation help you out with minimizing inside wheel spin. You still want a bit of bar up front to help with your lack of spring rate.

Even the factory LSD has problems with inside wheel spin, so I'd save my money and go straight to a clutch-type (OS Giken). You won't be able to stay in stock with the factory LSD anyway, since you can't realistically add cruise control to the base model afaik.

But that's just what I'd do. I like a car that's neutral to slightly loose at turn in, easily rotated on trail braking/throttle on, and otherwise goes where I point it. I'm running on 255mm tires in STR right now and the car's pretty well balanced, with more front-end grip than you'd believe out of relatively skinny street tires.