Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Official AutoX trailer - Tire trailer picture thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 05:41 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Official AutoX trailer - Tire trailer picture thread!

This thread is for pictures only and about 4 to 5 lines max of description on the build, comments, etc.

Please do not quote post with out posting pics of your actual trailer or a similar trailer "say from another site".

I will allow one post reply in general - my goal is to not clutter the thread?!?!

This thread is designed to be a DATABASE of pics and ideas for those wanting to purchase/build a small autoX/track trailer for their motor sports needs.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS! or wants me to add any verbiage please pm me or pm those that posted their own trailers for any additional questions......remember one reply max if at all...

HARBOR FREIGHT TRAILER - 12 inch tires:
WE all know that a ton of people use the Harbor Freight 12 inch tire "you build it" kit trailer . And there are threads that comment on its quality, etc...........RESEARCH THIS ON YOUR OWN and not on this thread!

Yes HF made in china stuff can be sub par but I have seen and used it myself and the HF trailer and with proper maintenance it has held up quite fine for many years!

its too hard to narrow down a "you build it" kit trailer to solely the manufacture and I refuse to solely believe any and ALL incidents are only HF fault. their are instructions on proper greasing of the bearings - as it doesn't come completely greased from purchase! and their are many threads on people that have weld reinforced and swapped out the bolts to "prevailing torque lock nuts" and higher grade strength hardware.

so what you choose and why is solely up to you!

HF also now sells:
Item # 2575 - 40x50 with metal deck/12 inch tire trailer:

HITCH:
Google "350z hitch"
also
CURT MAKES A HITCH FOR THE Z: - it hangs down and is obvious:

See here:
https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...trailer+wiring
There are also hidden hitches that have been made and are available but you gotta use Mr. Google as well to find them....
Google "350z hidden hitch"

WIRING:
Quite easy with a HOPKINS BRAND "Hoppy" converter from your local AutoZone, autoparts store, etc.
See here:
https://my350z.com/forum/5637372-post10.html

Also, note that a conventional trailer wiring uses the "ACTUAL" left and right side light housing "mounting studs" as a "ground" - this is 99% of all "my trailer lights don't work" - issues found with ANY of these trailers - especially a trailer that is powder coated or painted and there isn't enough resistance in the trailer frame!

Conventional Trailer wiring:
Notice that in the following pictures the white wire connects to the actual trailer. This is crap! a better wire set up would be to split the white wire and run it to each light housing and connect the grounds via white wire, not through resistance of the metal of the trailer - thats where paint and powder coat on a trailer need to be stripped! stoopid!!!

SEE THESE TWO PICS:
Convential - uses the steel of the frame to "ground":

White wire to each light method: - eliminate steel to frame ground issues!

What this does (splitting the white wire) is allows the lights to ground back to the vehicle, via white wire connected to the typical 4 pin connector in your car....via, dedicated ground and not a powdercoated trailer frame...

WELDING the brackets on the Z rear aluminum brace:

Okay, it has been recommended that this bracket be welded....and for the most part, sure why not. I will say this though. If you know how to tow and i say that figuratively as many people that own 350z dont really know how to tow a load then i would say get it done! but if you know the rules of towing, slowing down gradually, along with accelerating gradually, etc......no jerking or hard braking, then you will be more than fine........

in general you will tow "what, less than 2 percent" of what you drive without a trailer??? C-mon, pay attention tow safely and cautiously and doing things like welding are not needed........I have towed for years with my Z and to many events with both light and heavily loaded trailer full of tires and have yet to even damage my brackets.

SEE HERE:
https://my350z.com/forum/6089620-post15.html

GENERAL INFO:
The Z in general does NOT have any OEM tow specs from factory!

- Does this mean you can get a ticket driving to an event. Sure with a dik of a cop anything can happen!??? who knows?

- These hitches made should only for the most part at most have a 100 lb tongue load - review tongue load online and how to balance. Balancing your weight on the trailer is crucial over the axles.

We can for the most part say that the Z can safely carry about MAX, and i stretch max 800 pounds, and thats just from many many research of others and what they are towing, so definitely no hard firm figures!!!

INSPECTION:
Just like anything else, especially trailering and towing - you must inspect all towing components on both the trailer and hitch routinely......YOu gotta pay to play and this is one of them!

General inspection should be the trailer, axles, lights, all nuts and bolts, hitch, hitch hardware and torque specs, lights on Z, etc...etc....

Light testing:

I would also recommend purchasing a light tester for your wiring or to buy the 4-wire flat end with the lights already built into it onto the "converter you purchase"!!!

This will be a quick way of showing/eliminating that the lights are working right on the Z, but not correct on a the trailer and trouble shooting can be made quicker!
Light Tester:

-J
Attached Thumbnails Official AutoX trailer - Tire trailer picture thread!-image_1840.jpg   Official AutoX trailer - Tire trailer picture thread!-image_84.jpg   Official AutoX trailer - Tire trailer picture thread!-trailerwiringdiagram_4_wire1.jpg   Official AutoX trailer - Tire trailer picture thread!-trailerwiringdiagram_4_wire.jpg  

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 10-13-2011 at 04:16 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:52 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Default My AutoX trailer - HF trailer - 12 inch tires

This is my current trailer set up!

I have had to redo this thing a few times now and im still not sure if im happy with it, but here it is!
I will update Completed pictures when done......

BRAND: HARBOR FREIGHT KIT TRAILER 12 INCH WHEELS
PRICE: ABOUT $200 BUCKS
KIT: yes, had to hand assemble, nuts and bolts, no welding.
LIGHTS: Conventional lights - came with the trailer.

I am doing my trailer this way to keep 4 wheels mounted off the horizontal bar and tools in the center mounted tool box! You can also see that even though the trailer is 42 wide i used a 48 inch wide plywood top, so i got a bit more overhang out of the plywood to fit everything i needed by notching out around the fenders.......

I am also adding the two vertical poles up front "just in case" I need to take 4 more additional tires -- Usually for a drift event......

However, I do own an 18 foot car hauler trailer that I tow the Z and gear to drift events so that is very very rare for me to carry 8 tires on this little trailer. I like this configuration because I will most likely ONLY have the 4 tires on the rear for a local AutoX event and mount my eazy-up canopy across the front instead of carrying 4 more tires.......this also keeps tongue load lighter.....

HERE ARE PICS OF THE INITIAL SET UP:

Horizontal pole mount:

LINE-X THE 3/4" PLY WOOD:

803d9579.jpg?t=1273147371
9446e469.jpg?t=1273147765
I will post completed pics when im done.

IN the works -

1. I'm currently gonna have the 3/4 inch plywood line-X covered so that i wont have to deal with paint, stain or changing the plywood ever again.
2. Also thinking of either rubberize coating the metal frame or taking it to get powdercoated....
3. Going to foam wrap the poles to keep down the noise and damage, nicks, etc to the wheels..........meh.....

-J
Attached Thumbnails Official AutoX trailer - Tire trailer picture thread!-trailer1.jpg   Official AutoX trailer - Tire trailer picture thread!-trailer2.jpg   Official AutoX trailer - Tire trailer picture thread!-trailer3.jpg   Official AutoX trailer - Tire trailer picture thread!-imag0113.jpg   Official AutoX trailer - Tire trailer picture thread!-imag0117.jpg  

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 05-06-2010 at 04:10 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:04 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Okay, i will be adding comments if/as needed to post #1 and #3.

Done, post yours up or others you have seen that will help give ideas and help others!

-J
Old 04-29-2010, 06:31 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Thread!

BRAND: CraigsList PORTOPOTTY TRAILER (48 inches wide)
PRICE: $60 bucks - Delivered
KIT: No assembly required except wood frame and wiring. Some welding was required for the back (cost 30 bucks)
LIGHTS: Harbor Freight 19.99 special with AUTOZONE LED connectors

Name:  Traileronhitch.jpg
Views: 2285
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  Traileronhitch-1.jpg
Views: 2379
Size:  72.7 KB

COMPLETED I can get 8 wheels on this bad boy and I plan adding a toolbox eventually and something to hold my mini generator as well.
Name:  complete2.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  34.4 KB

Name:  complete1.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  29.5 KB

Name:  complete-almost.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  55.9 KB

I will post better pics if I can find some...this all I have for now..

Old 04-30-2010, 03:36 AM
bdblackz

BRAND: Lowe's (3.5x5ft)
PRICE: $420
KIT: No assembly required
LIGHTS: No assembly required

On some scales - allowed me to position the tires to get just right load on the hitch (~50lbs):

Aluminum Box (Harbor Freight). Built in lock and lid shocks:

Rails to hold the tires - I bought the magnets (black brick looking things) at Harbor Freight (250lb pulling EACH) and attached them to the bars. That way I can position the tires back-forth whenever I want without drilling etc. These stop the tires rolling when driving, and a racket strap on top stops them going up and down.

Magnets:

Finished product:
Old 04-30-2010, 10:52 AM
12AutoX

Here's my trailer odessey, which encompassed seven months and nearly $2000. For starters, I bought the Curt hitch. While trying to install it, I realized why it is not intended for the 2003 350Z. The muffler and the hitch receiver were in violation of the laws of physics; namely, two pieces of matter cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

So I ended up buying an AAM 3" single exhaust a little sooner than planned. That killed my trailer budget for the rest of the year. Here's how that worked out:

For Christmas, my dad gave me $500 towards the trailer, which we both thought should cover it. A cheap Harbor Freight trailer kit, some welding, and so on.

Well I wanted something that could also hold a canopy, tools, jack, water bottle, helmets, and chairs. Since I go out of town, I wanted a trailer that locks. I got some wood and set out to work. I thought a little wing on the leading edge would be a nice touch.

So far, so good. I'm within budget. After a gallon of fiberglass resin and about 8 packages of mat, not so much. Lots of sanding, laying glass, sanding, repeat. I learned that the organized strand style mat is awful to work with. The woven style is much better. So I have an event in March in new Mexico, and need the trailer done. I gave up on sanding and painted the damn thing. I went to the DMV and was told that they only inspect trailers on Mondays. It was Thursday, and the event was Saturday.

I borrowed a tag and drove on. The road test was a success, and the trailer did 70mph without a glitch. That's a 55mph rated trailer.

I eventually got the trailer registered, and now it's ready for the next event. Despite spending $900 on it and a few weeks of misery, it's done.

You will notice the handles on the side. The top comes off with six bolts. It converts into a stake bed if I need to carry something like, say, a recliner. Talk about a sport/ulility vehicle!

Last edited by 12AutoX; 06-30-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:12 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

12AutoX - DUde! that is worthy a response!!

nice work man! ouch to 900 bucks, but it does all that you need and thats whats important!

looks good.....any pics on the welds you did for reinforcement?

-J
Old 04-30-2010, 11:38 AM
12AutoX

I was thinking about having it welded before deciding on building a box, but didn't get around to it. I'll probably get it done before making any 500 mile+ trips. It is assembled with beefy #10? bolts and nylon locking nuts.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:19 AM
C Ray Z

Default My Trailer

I designed the layout and had the wheel carrier fabed onto the trailer. I addaed the storage box. I used this trailer for four years and just sold it when I made my car a trailer queen. Total cost $700.

Attached Thumbnails Official AutoX trailer - Tire trailer picture thread!-103-0356_img.jpg   Official AutoX trailer - Tire trailer picture thread!-trailer-photo.jpg  

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 05-06-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:30 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Default Northern Tools 48"x48" trailer

I was hitting up my local Northern tool store when I noticed a quite decent AutoX ready trailer.

48"x48" means wheels laying down wont be hanging off the edge, its metal fenced, metal mesh floor and reinforced quite well, build quality is solid and has hwy rated tires already........

kinda pricey in comparison to the cheap HF trailer and maybe even Craigslist porta potty trailer finds, but thought i would still post it up as it is pretty sweet...

Price was $379

-J
Attached Thumbnails Official AutoX trailer - Tire trailer picture thread!-2010-11-19191041.jpg  

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 11-19-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:24 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Not bad. Nice little trailer for under $400.00.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:05 AM
RandomHer0

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread! Does anyone know if the same can be done with a G35C?

So tired of putting my tires in the back seat

That lowes one is perfect!

Edit: Found this; will update if I go through with it

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2003_Infiniti_G35.htm

Originally Posted by Poop
IF anyone was interested in getting a hitch for there g, {mines a 2005 coupe}, best bet is etrailer. Curt manufactufing makes a hitch them at about 170$ it comes with hitch tools fastners tongue and instructions. Only the instructions are ****. Here we go. Start with taking off the tail lights and rear bumber. THis link will show you all the bolts
http://www.*********.com/zwiki/Rear_...oval_%28G35%29
Once bumper is off put the hitch up against the the aluminum plate that is right behind the license plate and center it. once centered mark the holes on the top and bottom there is a total of 4. Use a punch and punch center of marked holes. drill through them. Heres the tricky part. the instructions says drill out a 1 1/2 inch hole in the middle to fit the bolts and square washer things in **** that. since the bumper is off you are able to acess the holes from the sides. You need one of those magnet wands that extends, put the bolt and washer on magnet and feed it down till your at the drilled holes. Wiggle bolt down hole and vuyllaaaa. If your cheap use a stick of wood and tape the head of the bolt to it. this way there is no drilling in the bumper, which i learned the hard way.. Bolt the hitch on according to the directions on the paper at right torques. Reassemble bumper and stuff. oh n cut the 1 and a 1/2 inch notch on bottom of bumper, for bottom of the hitch to fit. HOpe this makes it alottttt easier on you than the crappy instructions were on me! Now its a real 90 minute process..

Last edited by RandomHer0; 11-20-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:14 AM
KTran

i'd like to thank jason for an awesome hitch, awesome work, great service, and fast shipping!

stayed up all night working on a few cars and my z...
Name:  DSC_2056-1.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  120.9 KB
Name:  DSC_2135-1.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  88.4 KB
Name:  DSC_2147-1.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  104.2 KB
Name:  DSC_2286-1.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  84.1 KB
Name:  DSC_2290-1.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  104.3 KB

still gotta finish the wiring
will be picking up an scca/autox prepped trailer later.... pics coming

Last edited by KTran; 11-22-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:26 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

^^^ HELL YES! so much WIN here!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:27 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ awesome man! glad you love it!!

-J
Old 11-22-2010, 06:29 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by RandomHer0
Great thread! Does anyone know if the same can be done with a G35C?

So tired of putting my tires in the back seat

That lowes one is perfect!

Edit: Found this; will update if I go through with it

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2003_Infiniti_G35.htm
yes, curt makes one that is visible at all times for the G35...

I recommend you check out this thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...ount-code.html
and contact hitchsource - owner named joe if you go that route..

-J
Old 11-22-2010, 04:17 PM
KTran

picked up the trailer ealier today...
snapped a few fancy shots

Name:  DSC_2354-1.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  161.8 KB
Name:  DSC_2350-2.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  173.1 KB
Name:  DSC_2347-1.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  162.2 KB
Name:  DSC_2341-2.jpg
Views: 1315
Size:  154.2 KB

before the event sunday, i should be adding type of railing or a-frame so i can fit 6 drift wheels on there...or maybe 4; keep 2 in the car...

Last edited by KTran; 11-22-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:30 PM
ROCA Z

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
^ awesome man! glad you love it!!

-J
Hello!!! this is my 3rd season Autoxing and this year I've been-by miracle fitting my four 275/17s, spare tire, jack, air tank, lunch cooler, tools, etc... lol inside my Z... dead tired of driving all over Florida like that ...haha more for safety reasons ....
so i think is over due, but Im getting myself a trailer for Christmas
I have been looking for a hitch all over but nothing good... i just saw the ONE that KTRAN ^^^^ got and is perfect where can i get it? do you sell it?
thank You!!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:31 PM
KTran

Originally Posted by ROCA Z
Hello!!! this is my 3rd season Autoxing and this year I've been-by miracle fitting my four 275/17s, spare tire, jack, air tank, lunch cooler, tools, etc... lol inside my Z... dead tired of driving all over Florida like that ...haha more for safety reasons ....
I have been looking for a hitch all over but nothing good... i just saw the ONE that KTRAN ^^^^ got and is perfect where can i get it? do you sell it?
thank You!!
pm sent
Old 11-22-2010, 07:38 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCA Z
thank You!!
Yup, I've been putting four 285/30/18s in the car for about two years, though I do have a hitch that I put a bike rack to carry two of the tires for when I have a passenger.

Quick Reply: Official AutoX trailer - Tire trailer picture thread!