Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Harness Mounting Points

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 07:28 AM
timsam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness Mounting Points

Hello Everyone!
I've tried to search for this, but really haven't found a solid answer.

I'm curious how everyone has mounted their Lap Belts and Anti-Subs to the car?

I’m going to be using the factory seats, and the Sparco Harness Bar. I am planning on getting a 6 point restraint, so I wanted to know the best way to mount these points.

I’m sure everyone has a different way, so any help would be great. I'm not a fabricator, and don’t really want to alter/cut-up my car too much from factory specs.

Thanks guys…and yes I know everyone has opinions on 4 point vs 5 or 6 point.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:38 AM
AznSky

subscribing.......

And where did you pick up your harness bar?

Last edited by AznSky; 06-10-2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:46 AM
timsam

Originally Posted by AznSky
subscribing.......

And where did you pick up your harness bar?
http://www.directtuning.com/store/pc...PR-30019S.aspx
Best price I found...

Last edited by timsam; 06-10-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:29 AM
dmoffitt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND AGAINST a 6-pt without rollover protection, that is, unless you want your spine to be the "supporting member" in a crash. You're not supposed to run anything but stock harnesses (aka nothing with anti-sub) w/o a cage or roll-bar - to the extent that PCA now REQUIRES anyone with a 5-pt to have some sort of cage/bar and outright banned 4-points from their events.

It's not an "opinion" its "your life" - what are you planning to use this for? AutoX? DEs? Show/street?
The following users liked this post:
Aeneas137 (02-02-2022)
Old 06-10-2008, 09:37 AM
timsam

Default Mounting Points...

I'm planning on just DE events for now. And I understand your points of the roll-cage and all. And I appreciate it...

Ok...so even if it were a 4 point, or 5 point or 6 point...where do yall mount the lap belt part to the car, and how? (with keeping all factory belts in)
Old 06-10-2008, 10:08 AM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking for a harness to support you better, look at some of the Schroth belts made for autocross. They are safer for use without a roll cage and are easily removable when you are done.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:26 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by timsam
I'm curious how everyone has mounted their Lap Belts and Anti-Subs to the car? I’m going to be using the factory seats, and the Sparco Harness Bar. I am planning on getting a 6 point restraint, so I wanted to know the best way to mount these points.
I received your PM yesterday regarding my harness setup but did not have time to respond to you yet. I do have a 6-point harness mounted on a harness bar, and using my stock seats.

Here's what I did to install my 6-point harnesses:

Shoulder Harnesses: Wrapped around my Avalon Racing harness bar, which uses the stock B-pillar mounting points.

Lap Harnesses: Right harness (driver seat) mounted on the rear seat mounting point with "L" shaped bracket. Left harness (driver seat) mounted on bottom stock seat belt mounting point. You will need longer bolts than the stock bolts.

Submarine Belt: Mounted on rear seat mounting points with "L" shaped brackets. You will need longer bolts than the stock bolts.

I posted several pictures of my setup on one of the threads here in this forum. You can get the "L" shaped brackets at your local hardware store but make sure they are the heavy-duty steel brackets. I had to trim about 1"-2" to make them fit.

As far as opinions on driving 5-6 point harnesses with only a harness bar, take it with a grain of salt. They will advise you not to use the 5-6 point harnesses without a roll bar (or a proper aftermarket racing seats with the proper harness holes). But then again, they'll also tell you not to drive your car with a roll bar without a helmet. Are you actually going to install a roll bar and cruise around in your car with always a helmet on? Besides, the likelihood of rolling over in an autocross event is highly unlikely.

If your goal is to attend DEs, you should be able to pass tech inspection without issues (although some may not allow you without rollbars). If not, then by a CG-Lock, use your OEM seat belts and call it a day.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:25 PM
timsam

Originally Posted by z-u-later
I received your PM yesterday regarding my harness setup but did not have time to respond to you yet. I do have a 6-point harness mounted on a harness bar, and using my stock seats.

Here's what I did to install my 6-point harnesses:

Shoulder Harnesses: Wrapped around my Avalon Racing harness bar, which uses the stock B-pillar mounting points.

Lap Harnesses: Right harness (driver seat) mounted on the rear seat mounting point with "L" shaped bracket. Left harness (driver seat) mounted on bottom stock seat belt mounting point. You will need longer bolts than the stock bolts.

Submarine Belt: Mounted on rear seat mounting points with "L" shaped brackets. You will need longer bolts than the stock bolts.

I posted several pictures of my setup on one of the threads here in this forum. You can get the "L" shaped brackets at your local hardware store but make sure they are the heavy-duty steel brackets. I had to trim about 1"-2" to make them fit.

As far as opinions on driving 5-6 point harnesses with only a harness bar, take it with a grain of salt. They will advise you not to use the 5-6 point harnesses without a roll bar (or a proper aftermarket racing seats with the proper harness holes). But then again, they'll also tell you not to drive your car with a roll bar without a helmet. Are you actually going to install a roll bar and cruise around in your car with always a helmet on? Besides, the likelihood of rolling over in an autocross event is highly unlikely.

If your goal is to attend DEs, you should be able to pass tech inspection without issues (although some may not allow you without rollbars). If not, then by a CG-Lock, use your OEM seat belts and call it a day.

Thanks man! Thats some good information. I will look into this L bracket and the longer bolts needed.

Yeah...I'm just trying to stop from sliding around in DE events.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:27 PM
OPTIMO

Very dangerous. A pre-fabbed rollbar will cost $600 with freight? You could probably find a place local to do you a custom rollbar with harness guides and tighter fitment for another 400-500.

I think the biggest mistake people make is looking at safety as components when it's really a system.

FIA tested harnesses, seats and a rollbar with SFI padding. It's not one of some, it's all or nothing.

I am planning to go with 6 point harnesses (likely G-Force), seats (Sparco or Cobra) and a rollbar (Piper Motorsport) with padding during the winter offseason this year.

People may sound like *******s for telling you not to do it, but it really is good advice.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:28 PM
OPTIMO

Thanks man! Thats some good information. I will look into this L bracket and the longer bolts needed.

Yeah...I'm just trying to stop from sliding around in DE events.
Go with one of the camlock-y things that use your OEM 3 point safety belt, it just makes it tighter.

Do you have a cloth interior? I find the cloth seats to be fairly grippy for stock seats.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Billhyco

i've used the camlock for a while now with no major complaints. It was a bit of a pain in the begining to get it on there and tight enough but its been good thus far. When your at the track and getting belted in. Move your seat ALL the way back, buckle up nice and tight. THEN move your seat to your driving position which will further tighten it. g/l
Old 06-11-2008, 04:53 AM
Stack

YAY! Another harness debate!

It is certainly your prerogative to run with harnesses and no roll-over protection assuming whatever club you run with will allow it. But there are some things regarding the harnesses that need to be done unless you simply want to be eligible for the Darwin Awards:

1. Get a 6-point belt, mount the lap and anti-sub belts behind the seat using either stock mounting bolt locations or drill a hole and use thick backing plates.

2. Route the anti-sub straps through the joint in the seat, under the seat back, so you're sitting on them parachute-style. Do not route them over the front of the seat cushion.

3. Remember, you need to have equal protection if you're going to have an instructor or passenger.

I'd personal stay away from 4-point belts. No one (that I know of) makes a DOT approved 4-point for the Z that still retains any pre-tensioners and air bag sensors.

Also, personaly opinion here: If the reason you want the harnesses is simply to keep you planted in the seat, then you are either a) not doing it right (i.e. work on smoothness, not speed) or b) you are going too fast for stock safety equipment and like one of the above posts says, you need to look into a complete safety system, not just a piece-mealed band-aid fix.

A MUCH cheaper fix is to go buy some anti-slip tool box drawer liner and sit on it... it does wonders!
Old 06-11-2008, 06:19 AM
Tac-M

Name:  DSC00471.jpg
Views: 2273
Size:  114.2 KB
Name:  DSC00472.jpg
Views: 2042
Size:  146.6 KB
Name:  DSC00473.jpg
Views: 2103
Size:  125.3 KB
Name:  DSC00474.jpg
Views: 2225
Size:  151.2 KB
Name:  DSC00475.jpg
Views: 2135
Size:  77.2 KB
Name:  DSC00476.jpg
Views: 2156
Size:  181.6 KB
Old 06-11-2008, 06:33 AM
timsam

Cool...thanks for the pics. That gives me an idea of what to look for!

Sorry...I didnt mean for this to get into 'another' harness debate. I just wanted to get yalls opinions on where to mount the lapbelt and anti-sub.

Thanks for everyone's input, this is good information! Im hoping I can use these ideas and put something together without altering the car too much!
Old 06-11-2008, 06:35 AM
Tac-M

you will need to make 3 holes. ( on 1 side , 6 for left and right ) and a few of these http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Last edited by Tac-M; 06-11-2008 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:44 AM
Stack

Thanks for everyone's input, this is good information! Im hoping I can use these ideas and put something together without altering the car too much!
All some of us are saying is: when you do that, you're taking a risk for not only you, but your passenger as well. Some clubs won't let you take that risk because that is, in turn, a risk that THEY are taking if something disastrous were to happen.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:58 PM
10-E-C-350Z

Originally Posted by Tac-M

Sorry for bringing this thread back lol but I'm mounting my submarine belts and was wondering if I have this right. I bought the 6 sparco backing plates/eye bolts to mount everything up. Is my placement right for the submarine belts? I am thinking of welding these plates in the "slots". Any input?

(And yes, I plan on installing a cage or roll bar whenever I can figure out how to get one to Germany.)

On to the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Harness Mounting Points-ballsack-belt.jpg  
Old 10-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Stack

Mounting locations look pretty good to me... I don't know much about that structure that the sub belt eye bolts are mounted to, but from the picture, looks pretty solid.

I'm not particularly fond of the slide buckles (those movable center bars worry me... it's just a needlessly weak point in the chain.)

In case the belts didn't have this with it, here's the best diagram I've seen on how to wrap the belts (this one's from Schroth):

Old 10-14-2010, 09:55 PM
10-E-C-350Z

Originally Posted by Stack
Mounting locations look pretty good to me... I don't know much about that structure that the sub belt eye bolts are mounted to, but from the picture, looks pretty solid.

I'm not particularly fond of the slide buckles (those movable center bars worry me... it's just a needlessly weak point in the chain.)

In case the belts didn't have this with it, here's the best diagram I've seen on how to wrap the belts (this one's from Schroth):

I was unsure about using this as a mount until I realized that the seat mounts directly to it. I think I'll give this a shot...Thanks!
Old 10-15-2010, 01:59 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by 10-E-C-350Z
I was unsure about using this as a mount until I realized that the seat mounts directly to it. I think I'll give this a shot...Thanks!
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Plus, the forces on the anti-sub belts are much less than the ones on the lap and shoulder belts. It still may not be "ideal" from a geometric standpoint, but in a dual-purpose car it should be fine.

Just for clarification, what part of the seat base mounts to that structure, the front or the rear?

Quick Reply: Harness Mounting Points