Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Clutch and Brake Issues at the Track

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 03:49 AM
2000atlanticgt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by N80
Put Motul 600 in for clutch fluid today.
That alone is going to help if you are indeed overheating the brake fluid. The ATE is not the best brake fluid, I know a lot of people use it but for this application you need the highest boiling point (wet and dry) you can find to make sure it is not a heat issue.

The Motul 600 is a great improvement, I personally run Castrol SRF brake fluid in both the brakes and clutch systems. The link below will show you all of the specifications for a lot of different brake fluids. Most people pay attention only to the dry boiling point but all DOT4 brake fluids are hygroscopic (absorb water) and paying attention to the wet boiling temp is just as important especially if you do not flush the system frequently.

The other issue is air, these systems are really hard to get all of the air out of. You are either boiling the fluid or there is air in the system causing your issue. Air in the system will act just as you are describing. Learn to bleed the system yourself (with a friend). It is not hard, but take your time and bleed, bleed, and bleed some more.

https://www.lelandwest.com/brake-flu...ow=1&SF=4&ST=2

Last edited by 2000atlanticgt; 02-28-2015 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:35 AM
N80

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks. I'm thinking its water. The dealership put the ATE in and I did several long track days in hot weather with no problem and then all of a sudden, no pedal. Air is possible but I think it would have been a problem from the beginning.

I had the dealership put the Motul in. While I was talking to the service rep and telling her what the issue was a mechanic walked up and said he had worked on my car every time it has been there (CSC replacement and ECU replacement (all free under TSBs) and he seemed to understand my track needs and the need to get the system fully flushed and fully bled. So hopefully air won't be an issue.

I know I need to learn to do it myself but getting under the car is tough, I do not have a garage. Plus, there are a lot of posts here about people having trouble with it. But, it seems simple enough and I do my brakes all the time so I'll look into it.

I'm going to VIR in about 3 weeks so we'll see how it works out. If it doesn't I'll be doing at lot of laps at VIR in 4th gear.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:54 PM
N80

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

No clutch pedal problems at VIR. Fresh Motul seemed to do the trick. I think the solution is fresh fluid changed often.

I had another clutch issue though. On the back stretch shifting from 4th to 5th the clutch would occasionally slip and over rev. I think this was my fault mistiming the shift with too much throttle too early and dumping the clutch. If I was careful it wouldn't happen but I think it still indicates a worn clutch. It has 75k miles on it and 15 track weekends.