Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

The road to a 295/30/18 Hoosier A7 / RPF1 square setup.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 07:38 AM
SirMichael

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have any knowledge of a 315 on a 10.5 wheel? There is a guy here locally selling a set of 315/30/18's. The price is right but they seem like a stretch for the front. That and they aren't really recommended for a 10.5 wheel per their wheel tire size recommendations chart.

Anyone know weather this would work? I haven't ordered the A7s yet and I'm considering this as temporary solution.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:46 AM
cyc5181

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SirMichael
You should talk to Z1NONLY in his post "My STU Build" he mentions the following:
2) Removed SPL UCA's and installed Kinetix UCA's and modified them. (shortened the threaded part of the arm to get more negative camber than in OTS form)

Personally, I've been building the car for me and not really a class so I run the SPL arms.
Originally Posted by armt350z
Here is how to modify your kinetix arms, It got me to -3.2 deg camber.

The top UCA is how it comes, the bottom has been cut.

Also for your PSI's, I ran 30 cold up front and 29 cold in the rear. It ended up putting me at around 34 warm and 35 warm F/R.
Thanks. I'll give that a thought. I'm no machinist, so I'm pretty sure I wont be doing the cutting nor do I have the tool to make that cut. But it's good info and it's something I can look into.

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2015, 08:42 AM
SirMichael

Zeal Function X Dyno Graphs

Just thought I would drop this here so I can keep everything linked in one thread.

Have a great day.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:23 AM
SirMichael

Quick update. Wheels are tires are finally in.

I'll be going in next weekend to get them mounted and balanced and the car realigned and corner weighted just in time for the next AutoX.

I'm really looking forward to the difference between the 300Tw BFG KDWAs Ive been running.

Anyone have any recommended tire pressures to run?

Camber goals -3 to -3.2 up front and -2.2 out back.
The following users liked this post:
350z-Helsinki (10-14-2020)
Old 06-28-2015, 06:10 PM
SirMichael

So, just a short review for now. I'll post more specifics tomorrow. 295's easily fit.

R-Comps from a 300TW tire can't be described by night and day. It's more along the lines of seeing the sun for the first time.

Oh and I place 5th in overall RAW time and if you take out the shifter kart and formula mod I made third. Brakes are the limiting factor now and of course the driver mod, but it's definitely a great start. Oh and this was out of 133 drivers. 22 in PAX dang SSM multiplier.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:04 AM
SirMichael

Old 06-30-2015, 09:20 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Congrats, the results must be satisfying. I think you could have beaten the EVO.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:29 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Congratulations!

Watching the video, it looks like you got a bit too optimistic around the 20-second mark. Then, once you cleaned up the entry, the sweeper afterwards looks too easy. The slalom after that sweeper would have a tricky entry if you kept the car on the edge right up to the slalom entry, but I think you started to settle down (slow down) early. -May have been a little time at the finish too. (You seemed to have no trouble avoiding the outside cone.)

I may have missed it in the thread, but what threw you in the deep end of the pool? (SSM) Is it just the wide wheels you used for the race rubber, or have you done other stuff to the car?
Old 06-30-2015, 05:47 PM
SirMichael

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
Congratulations!

Watching the video, it looks like you got a bit too optimistic around the 20-second mark. Then, once you cleaned up the entry, the sweeper afterwards looks too easy. The slalom after that sweeper would have a tricky entry if you kept the car on the edge right up to the slalom entry, but I think you started to settle down (slow down) early. -May have been a little time at the finish too. (You seemed to have no trouble avoiding the outside cone.)

I may have missed it in the thread, but what threw you in the deep end of the pool? (SSM) Is it just the wide wheels you used for the race rubber, or have you done other stuff to the car?
I believe a number of things, all the SPL Parts, true coilovers, and 4.08 gears are what come to mind. I'm on my phone next time I'm on a computer I'll add full details of the setup.

I knew I left some time out there, I'm having to get past the past. It used to be so loose I kept expecting it to break look and slide like it used to. Around the 20 sec mark the brakes just couldn't handle it. The tired gripped the hole time. It should be a fun rest of the season. I'm gunning for 1st in Raw time fendered cars now.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:16 AM
SirMichael

Setup:

Tire Pressure: 29psi Front/ 26psi Rear (I believe these were to low and will adjust for the next event).

F/R
Camber: -3.3/-2.2
Toe: .06/.05

Corner Balance: (See attached)

Car Weight 1/4 tank: 3149 lbs

Wheels and Tires:
Enkei RPF1s (Bronze) 10.5+15 Square (Track)
Hoosier A7s 295/30/18 Square (Track)
McGard Lug Nuts Black

Brakes:
Akebono BBK w/ 2Piece Front Rotors
Hawk HPS Pads (Considering HP+ or EBC Yellows)
SS Brake Lines

Driveline:
Quaife LSD Differential
4.08 Gears
Nismo Diff Cover
SPL Diff Bushings
Avid Racing Trans Mount
RJM Cluch Pedal System (Really need to get this installed)

Suspension:
Zeal Function X F-12k R-10k (True Coilover) +15ish Mid Adjustment Front and Rear
Stillen Sway Bar on the Front Nothing in the Rear.
Whiteline Sway Bar Bushings
SPL PRO Front Endlinks
SPL Titanium Rear Camber Links
SPL Titanium Rear Toe Links
SPL Eccentric Lock Out Bolts
SPL Titanium Rear Traction Links
SPL FKS Front Compression Rod Bushings
SPL FKS Front Lower Inner Arm Bushings
SPL FKS Front Lower Arm Shock Mount Bushings

Interior:
Corbeau A4 Seats and Sliders
Oil Temp Guage

Performance:
K&N OEM Air Filters
Fast Intentions Resonated Test Pipes
Titek Cel Fix Adapter
Oil Pan Spacer

Weight Reduction:
All stereo part removed
Scraped all the easy sound deadening stuff out.
Removed anything that wasn't bolted down.

Ok lets see on to the review. I'll keep this short as I am still learning what the car will and won't do now.

Initial impressions were just wow. And I recommend to anyone that has gone this far to be running R-Comps its unreal the amount of "experience" I was missing. Now I can really feel what the car is doing aside from sliding everywhere. I did notice the HPS brakes seems not to do well at all. There was no initial bite. It felt like they were overheated from the get go. Granted they are getting old. I'm going to try flushing the system between now and the next event and see if that helps. Around the 20 second mark in the video you can see me go wide. I was standing on the brakes and the car really wasn't slowing down. Which was actually kind of a nice feeling for almost a year now I have been running this setup on BFG KDWs and sliding all over the place. Otherwise the rear end seem to be much more planted. I am running the front sway bar at the full stiffness. I might back this out. It didn't seem to really push but as you can see the track wasn't that technical. I am running the 4.08 gears which now I'm not really a fan of I seem to always run out of gear and the want to shift is there but I don't and I do still experience a loss of power from the Quaiffe when the inside rear tire is lifted. It would really be nice to change that out but it's not in the budget right now. (Anyone want to trade?) We have a double header coming up on the 11th and 12th. I should really be able to feel it out then.

As always I'm appreciate the comments and open to more suggestions.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
150627 - Alignment Data.pdf (1.53 MB, 173 views)
Old 07-01-2015, 11:27 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

It used to be so loose I kept expecting it to break look and slide like it used to
Zeal Function X F-12k R-10k (True Coilover)

It didn't seem to really push but as you can see the track wasn't that technical. I am running the 4.08 gears which now I'm not really a fan of I seem to always run out of gear and the want to shift is there but I don't and I do still experience a loss of power from the Quaiffe when the inside rear tire is lifted. It would really be nice to change that out but it's not in the budget right now. (Anyone want to trade?)

That rear spring is pretty stiff for a coilover setup. I wonder how that will change as you begin to get comfortable, maybe it will help with the lifting tire.

Though I agree to my eyes the setup if anything seemed "pushy," but then again you werent really driving on the edge all the time and also having braking issues, which is when the balance really shows itself. You never know the car may actually still be tail happy.

And autox and track setups tend to differ, so one must tune the car to the conditions it runs.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:50 PM
SirMichael

Originally Posted by guitman32
That rear spring is pretty stiff for a coilover setup. I wonder how that will change as you begin to get comfortable, maybe it will help with the lifting tire.

Though I agree to my eyes the setup if anything seemed "pushy," but then again you werent really driving on the edge all the time and also having braking issues, which is when the balance really shows itself. You never know the car may actually still be tail happy.

And autox and track setups tend to differ, so one must tune the car to the conditions it runs.
True, I am still working into it out of fear of running through the tires "drifting". I would like them to last they are kind of expensive. We shall see at the end of the day I really want to Raw time everyone. ha.

As far as the spring rate. It's what came on the coilovers, I'll likely go to 7k over the winter. I really need to have the hole setup rebuilt and figured I'd do it then so I'm not missing any more events this year.

Last edited by SirMichael; 07-01-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:52 PM
SirMichael

Just a little magnet fun. I decided to have a custom plate made. Always been a fan of them and I can never seem to get the individual numbers lined up quite right which has always bugged my OCD side.
Attached Thumbnails The road to a 295/30/18 Hoosier A7 / RPF1 square setup.-number-plate-a-little-smaller.jpg  
Old 07-01-2015, 11:00 PM
350z-Helsinki

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice car and quality parts.

For the tire you have the EBC yellow stuff pads won't do the trick.
Best street/track pad that I have run is the Ferodo DS2500 after that the bit more aggressive Carbotech xp12, but it's not that nice on the street and dusts like hell. I liked the pedal feel and the initial torque of the Ferodo better.

If it's an autox car I wouldn't run a dedicated track pad. Since those need heat to work.
Ferodo is well worth the extra over EBC. The blue EBC pad is better than yellow (IMO still not as good as ds2500), but it's not available for Akebonos.

If you track the car and run several laps continuously Ferodo DS1.11. I'm not a Ferodo dealer. I just love their products.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:21 AM
QTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear your having a good time with them! I just ran my A6 295 on a 17x10 +25 wheel setup at BIR this last weekend, I'll post a vid shortly, and really liked them! I just redid my ride height and alignment. I think I'm probably higher than stock ride height but it's where the control arms looked best so I ran with it but I had 3.5* camber front and IIRC about 2.2* rear with no clearance issues on the wheels and the wear on the tires looked good. I didn't get to do any tire temps but the car did decent given I've never driven the track.

Cheers!
Old 07-10-2015, 04:17 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Just keep hammering at it and you'll get faster. Honestly, take a few evo schools as well. I wish I had when I started...

That said, you need to be crushing stu!

As a sort of marker to get to, here are the results for Mark Hill, myself (damn cones) and the winner of SSM from Nationals last year...

Mark Hill (STU) 123.764
Me (BSP) 114.575
SSM Champ 112.617
Old 07-14-2015, 10:22 AM
SirMichael

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Just keep hammering at it and you'll get faster. Honestly, take a few evo schools as well. I wish I had when I started...

That said, you need to be crushing stu!

As a sort of marker to get to, here are the results for Mark Hill, myself (damn cones) and the winner of SSM from Nationals last year...

Mark Hill (STU) 123.764
Me (BSP) 114.575
SSM Champ 112.617

Geeze that's a long course. Good to see those times. I suppose I do have a chance then. I've recently started mapping the course as I walk it which seems to have helped also. It's a lot to take in with only 30 minutes to walk the course. I have a driving school and AutoX event coming up on the 25th and 26th. Hopefully it will yield some good results.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:25 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Those times are a combo of two courses....