Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Transponder Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 06:33 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts
Default Transponder Feedback

Background: AMB won a lot of business selling transponder systems back when they were "new technology" in the last decade. Organizations like SCCA, NASA and other sanctioning bodies adopted them and they're pretty much THE standard for use in timing and scoring.

AMB has since transformed into the My Laps Sport Timing organization and are advertising their new line of transponders with a twist. They sell "subscriptions" (meaning you essentially lease the units for 1-5 years) that offer more data for users to evaluate their runs or laps. My Laps is offering a trade in deal for the older units, but I'm skeptical about how good a deal it is. Some questions include have any other Z competitors used the newer X2 transponder units? If so, what other data is included in the subscription and is the data that helpful?

My older red AMB portable unit is still functional and still supplies info on laps times, splits, fast times, etc. on both my Nissan, as well as everybody else in the race. The new units are-no surprise--expensive and you don't really own them. Am I missing something? Seems like keeping my old transponder remains the most cost-effective move.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:08 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Wow- 548 views in less than 24 hours, but NO replies? I guess this either means no one else has purchased the new transponder and is sticking with their older AMB unit, or there aren't many Z racers competing in series that use transponder systems.

Just hoping to get a little constructive discussion going here...
Old 11-25-2015, 10:38 AM
SilverGLE

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't have a transponder, but have always "enjoyed" the monopoly AMB has on transponders for many sanctioning bodies.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:15 AM
armt350z

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Of on the European side of the pond, its being viewed poorly. I'm still using my old X260. Lots of promises of extra features with no increase in actual features, a price hike, and a subscription service.

Pair that with crappy software and a horrible website design and you have the X2 in a nutshell. Granted all of these gripes are coming from other racers since I won't upgrade until I have to.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Flier129

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an AMB transponder on my TTE miata since NASA requires them. I hate that they charge so much for the units themselves. You'd figure at the $500 sticker tag price it would include more data than just lap-times.

Looks like the organizations would also have to upgrade their software, decoders, and server to X2 for you to gather all the data from your X2 transponder. Or maybe I'm reading something wrong? I'd be interested in more data, if the price-point is the same.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:54 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Glad to hear some responses to this question! Like armt350z, I have an older X260 unit and use the My Laps site to review lap times (both myself and other competitors), but that info is limited. And as Flier129 says, it'll be a longshot any SCCA region will PAY to upgrade their transponder rigs to incorporate any new tech. Most regions are barely keeping their heads above water as it is.

So, this trade-in offer is as sketchy as it sounds. Guess I'll just keep my older AMB unit for the forseeable future.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:57 AM
armt350z

The price point is only the same if you assume a 5 year service life, which to me is fairly short for such a simple transponder. If the unit last longer than that then after 5 years your paying more. Plus the other hidden fee's...

I was talking to some of the SCCA guys and it already looks like they are considering upgrade options.

Plus none of the additional information is actually functional yet. Its all vaporware.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:04 PM
armt350z

One thing to worry about is that when AMB gets the organizations to upgrade, which they likely will... then expect at some point a line of code that will look a lot like this: "if sysdate >= '01-jan-2017' and trans_id < xxxxxxx, ignore" will find its way into the trackside software.

Which basically means that at some point, a future required monthly update will make the track software will ignore any transponder that does not show a system update of 2017 or newer and a id tag of xxxxxxx or greater. At that point our x260's will be rendered obsolete.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:17 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Plenty to worry about in racing without thinking about future transponder updates! LOL But one thing to consider is the economics of racing organizations: I don't know about NASA franchisees, but SCCA regions are not in a financial position to purchase an upgrade. If they're given software, decoders and servers FREE they might consider it, but even then, the membership will have a say. Even if SCCA National is given a free upgrade, they'd be hard pressed to get all the regions to follow suit without some tangible benefits.

The way I look at it, my X260 rechargeable unit still holds three days of signal on an overnight charge and is over eight years old. So every year I continue to use it increases the value I get from a $300 unit, so I hope it stays active for years to come!
Old 11-25-2015, 01:25 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

I'm old and drive very slowly in my advanced age.

These are all I need...

Sorry, David..... knee jerk reaction.
The following users liked this post:
dkmura (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 01:33 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by MicVelo
I'm old and drive very slowly in my advanced age.

These are all I need...

Sorry, David..... knee jerk reaction.
Ha! Love it, Mic.

But just wait- we'll get your racing license back and put you behind the wheel of a SCCA Z and watch the RED MIST form as the grid heads for the green flag. There WON'T be any sun dials timing you then, my friend! Only fractions of seconds as we chase down those Porsches and BMWs...

Last edited by dkmura; 11-25-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:47 PM
armt350z

True but with SCCA (and NASA for that matter) its entirely possible that they may make a deal with AMB to upgrade at a cheaper price, lord knows they have done some odd dealings previously with niche suppliers.

Looking at it from AMB's perspective, it would actually be in thier benefit to sell organizer kits at reduced prices. the money isn't in the first sale, its in the future subscriptions. AMB's old business model was doomed to fail. They sold solid state devices with very low failure rates to a relatively small target group. everyone bought in but since the transponders don't break nobody buys new. The used market was taking all the potential customers.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:06 AM
Flier129

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not a fan of.... "You must update your $250 yearly subscription on your $500 transponder. Otherwise, your laps will not be recorded." If it does indeed go this route I'll stick to my own data...Harry's laptimer ftw! I might upgrade to AiM someday.

The extra lap data should be an added value that organizations and racers can chose to have. Make the new decoders backwards compatible.....I know it can definitely be implemented. Doing this will help AMB's business, because I think if they forced these costs onto organizations that are concentrated on amateur grassroots racing it will flop. I know I wouldn't want to spend another $750 JUST to get my laps counted. That's a worth two entry fees or more! Which is a big deal when guys like me only do 4-6 events a year.... IF I'm lucky.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:53 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Both Armt350z and Flier129 have good points, and I'll be watching to see if My Laps offers new systems to SCCA, NASA or other organizations. Problem there is, most NASA and SCCA regions have multiple X260 rental units they'd have to replace and they won't want to do that either!

Unless there's more value in upgrading my X260 unit, I can't see why anybody would consider it.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:52 PM
armt350z

There is always the AMB swap program... BTW its laughable and I wouldn't look into it.