Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

2016 Z Racing Plans

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:05 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Thanks for the great send-off, Mic. You know I'm driving for guys like YOU!

BTW- SSGT morphed into Touring 1
Well, it appears I just dated myself, dint I? I mean, when I raced, the 280ZX was THE ride to have in SSA.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:42 PM
JBJ

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

A With a minimum weight of 3,300 pounds (in impound) the T3 Z really pounds those tires.
Granted I'm fairly new to all this (and very biased towards the Z), but it seems like the 350Z seems to get REALLY handicapped in the track world.

Or is it just me?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:24 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by JBJ
Granted I'm fairly new to all this (and very biased towards the Z), but it seems like the 350Z seems to get REALLY handicapped in the track world.

Or is it just me?
It's not just you. Unfortunately, the Z33's success in racing has created the impression with rule makers that it's got an unfair advantage IMO. Some of that is down to SCCA trying to get T3 to appeal to owners of sportscars like the Porsche Boxter, Mazda MX5 Cup and Honda S2000. All the six cylinder cars in the class received air restrictors and some, like the 350Z, were restricted to 245 tires as well.

So how'd this class engineering work this year? So far, not so hot. No new entries with high-powered four cylinder cars and the class is mostly supported by the restricted V6 cars. And with new SCCA participation rules coming into effect, T3 may not even be allowed into the Runoffs next year...
Old 09-12-2016, 06:26 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

One more pre-Runoffs story: after packing the trailer and getting everything ready to go, a problem has cropped up on my '08 Titan KC LWB pickup. The brake booster internal seal has failed and won't allow the brake master to hold any fluid. No problem, you say?

After checking multiple sites, it turns out these parts are unique. Nissan engineered a different brake booster for the LWB version that lacks VDC. To make a long story short, I needed to use my motorsports account to get these parts out of two separate parts depot and next day air to Colorado. Oh well, at least it didn't fail on the road and make me a greasy smear on the road...
Old 09-12-2016, 07:39 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Good luck with your repair and next race, David!
Old 09-13-2016, 01:14 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks, John! And one more shout out to the good folks over at Nissan Motorsports. After ordering the Titan brake booster and master cylinder assembly from them, FedEx screwed up one of the shipments and misrouted it. Tamara at Nissan Motorsports figured out what happened with the depot manager and is getting me a second shipment going ASAP. FedEx is EATING the next day air charges on this one!

Runoffs or BUST (so far, I'm still 1,300 miles away, busted).
Old 09-13-2016, 04:04 PM
JBJ

Good luck DK. If you need any help with anything, let me know. I'm not too far away and could hand you wrenches or whatever you need.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:30 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks, Brian. The only help I need this morning is for FedEx to get me the frickin' parts that they waylaid yesterday! Tracking system still indicates they're in their holding facility in Commerce City and I can't get the show on the road without them!

Again, Nissan Motorsports did their job right, but the shipping took a wrong turn at the absolute worse time.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:10 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Well, I see that you got the car to Mid-Ohio, that's a good thing.

What I wanna know is "Just what did you do in Q3 that got you three seconds (!!) lower than Q1, 2, 4 and into the '30's??"

No matter what, pulling for you this Saturday, Dave!!!

--------

Happened to notice two other T-3 Z car guys from your region. You run them during the year?
Old 09-22-2016, 06:21 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Quick Mid-Ohio Runoffs update: the first day of qualifying was spent relearning a track I hadn't been to in years. Used BFGs ensured I didn't qualify well, but I knew that would change when I bolted on new tires for Tuesday. Unfortunately, the second qualifying was run early enough that nobody set any fast times, but you could be blinded by the rising sun in several spots. The track came in on Wednesday when we went back to a 9:20 am start time. Worked my way down to the 1:40's, my fastest laps ever at this rolling, 2.55-mile course. Still not as quick as the rest of the field and let's be honest- nobody wants to start DFL, but that's my fate.

Today was like Tuesday, early session and the track didn't have much stick. My lap times were worse as I tried harder. M-O is a track that responds to smooth, easy inputs and pushing just makes it worse. Saturday is the first race out of the gate and the opening laps will be tricky. Still hoping old age and treachery will bring my Z a decent finish...
Old 09-22-2016, 07:30 PM
GodISmE

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are any videos available from these events? I would love to see an onboard video from a race like that!
Old 09-23-2016, 03:56 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Happened to notice two other T-3 Z car guys from your region. You run them during the year?
Forgot to answer this one. Yes, Bob Schader is a multi-time National Champ (defending T3 titlest from last year) and runs a restricted HR like me. Derek Kulach is a young, up-and-coming racer who reset several lap records in his DE-powered Z. Both were quicker than me at our RMDiv races, so I know I'm in with a good, fast crowd.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:59 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by GodISmE
Are any videos available from these events? I would love to see an onboard video from a race like that!
Go to scca.com and look for the live race broadcast for T3 tomorrow. We're working on onboard race video.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:22 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default View from the Back

After completing the 1,344 mile trip back home, I can post a bit more on the 2016 Runoffs. First of all, congratulations to Derek Kulach on his stellar drive to his first Runoffs victory and to Nissan for scoring its 100th Runoffs win- most of any marque in SCCA history! That he managed to win over past champ Chad Gilsinger and his semi-works Acura TL at his home track makes it even sweeter.

My own race was a struggle. At the start, I avoided making any dumb mistakes by going too far off line on a slick track. Since we were the first race out that morning, the early laps were tricky as the field strung out. The setup I prefer on the Z is with just a bit of oversteer dialed in and I hoped the car would be faster as the race wore on. Unfortunately, my lap times stalled in the 1:41s and never dropped from there. That lack of speed meant I couldn’t challenge the BMW and Z car just ahead, as they slowly pulled away.

As stated earlier in this thread, Mid-Ohio doesn’t tolerate pushing too hard and I nearly spun several times in an attempt to shave just a bit of time off in different corners. Pushing the envelope continuously also put me further behind as the race went the full 23 laps with no caution periods. It didn’t help that the ¾ tank of race fuel I started with began running out over the final five laps. Another miscalculation that would seal a DFL finish. One bright spot came when I pulled over on the last lap to allow Derek through and cover his six as we ran under the checkered flag. It was an honor to share his celebration on the cool down lap- two Nissans running side-by-side down the backstraight and waving at each other and the corner station crews!

Still, this was a sobering Runoffs as it’s clear my vision, reaction time and overall driving have deteriorated enough to drop me from the top rank of drivers. This race had a good group of talented Runoff rookies (Like Derek and Lans Stout, who finished third is his Z33) and four former National Champs to contend with. Usually, I hold my own with such company, but not this year. Still, the lure of driving in competition and being part of the short-lived, but intense community in the Nissan tent makes it difficult to give up. I’m not sure what the 2017 season will hold for me, but as far as a finishing position, there’s only one way to go!

My one man crew worked on getting some video for the race and I'll try to add it here if it turns out well.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:03 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

After completing the 1,344 mile trip back home, I can post a bit more on the 2016 Runoffs. First of all, congratulations to Derek Kulach on his stellar drive to his first Runoffs victory and to Nissan for scoring its 100th Runoffs win- most of any marque in SCCA history! That he managed to win over past champ Chad Gilsinger and his semi-works Acura TL at his home track makes it even sweeter.

My own race was a struggle. At the start, I avoided making any dumb mistakes by going too far off line on a slick track. Since we were the first race out that morning, the early laps were tricky as the field strung out. The setup I prefer on the Z is with just a bit of oversteer dialed in and I hoped the car would be faster as the race wore on. Unfortunately, my lap times stalled in the 1:41s and never dropped from there. That lack of speed meant I couldn’t challenge the BMW and Z car just ahead, as they slowly pulled away.

As stated earlier in this thread, Mid-Ohio doesn’t tolerate pushing too hard and I nearly spun several times in an attempt to shave just a bit of time off in different corners. Pushing the envelope continuously also put me further behind as the race went the full 23 laps with no caution periods. It didn’t help that the ¾ tank of race fuel I started with began running out over the final five laps. Another miscalculation that would seal a DFL finish. One bright spot came when I pulled over on the last lap to allow Derek through and cover his six as we ran under the checkered flag. It was an honor to share his celebration on the cool down lap- two Nissans running side-by-side down the backstraight and waving at each other and the corner station crews!

Still, this was a sobering Runoffs as it’s clear my vision, reaction time and overall driving have deteriorated enough to drop me from the top rank of drivers. This race had a good group of talented Runoff rookies (Like Derek and Lans Stout, who finished third is his Z33) and four former National Champs to contend with. Usually, I hold my own with such company, but not this year. Still, the lure of driving in competition and being part of the short-lived, but intense community in the Nissan tent makes it difficult to give up. I’m not sure what the 2017 season will hold for me, but as far as a finishing position, there’s only one way to go!

My one man crew worked on getting some video for the race and I'll try to add it here if it turns out well.
Dave, what might be a DFL at Runoffs is still laps ahead of the many people out there that didn't qualify for Nationals. That you made the 1,300+ mile trek and competed at the top echelon of amateur racers speaks well of your efforts.

Think of it this way.... even Newman, Sharp, Morton, Fitzgerald, and many of the other Nissan/Datsun legends, etc. all had less than stellar days at the track for whatever reason, be they "driver off game" or meatball mechanicals, whatever. Hey, you finished!

I, for one, applaud you for those efforts and as always, upholding the Nissan banner despite all of the competition - from other drivers/cars AND more importantly, the sanctioning body's imposition of restrictions designed to make the car(s) less competitive.

You rose to the task and in my eyes, did a yeoman's job of overcoming obstacles; starting with your tow vehicle's last minute "but-I-don't-wanna-go" whining and SCCA's (what I feel are) draconian measures. (I've been on that end of the org's political damnation.)

Clean up the car, put it away for the winter, then on January 1, start over and get it prepped for the first sunny spring 2017 Regionals/Nationals!

In for videos (or a link to same), no matter how they turned out!

Cheers,

Mic
Old 09-27-2016, 10:28 PM
JBJ

My thoughts echo Mic's. Even with the bad weekend, you went out there and gave it your all. I have to laugh at all the threads regarding more power and basically guys turning there Z into a over powered stop light to stop light "race car", while guys like you are actually getting on the track and pushing the limits. ALL the limits. Well done. I applaud you.

I also appreciate your candor. I spent Sunday at HPR. On my fourth lap of the day I went out and posted my best lap ever. I spent the rest of the day trying to beat it and pretty much drove like a moron. I felt more like Ken Block than someone trying to best their time. So I feel your pain (albeit at a much lesser level) but I appreciate reading about your struggles and pushing too hard with less than satisfactory results.
The following users liked this post:
jhc (10-04-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 08:11 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks Mic and Brian- it's worth noting that there are races where you "give everything you've got" and it still isn't enough. My 2016 Runoffs were like that and Monday Morning QB'ing still has me thinking of what I would do differently. It isn't always that you battle and win, but you've got to enjoy the battle no matter what!

And Brian brings up a good point on where many discussions on this board are headed. Producing 500-1,000 HP for a nanosecond on a dyno for bragging rights has always been a mystery to me. Sure, there's pride if you built the car yourself, but there's just not enough FUN in it to interest me. But take a tuned Z to a road racing track and begin to explore both the car's limits and your own can be a never-ending fascination. Add in D2D racing with other marques and racers from around the country and it continues to bring a smile to my face. Guess that's when you realize how deep you're in...
The following 6 users liked this post by dkmura:
BigBlue (09-29-2016), JBJ (09-29-2016), jhc (10-04-2016), MicVelo (09-29-2016), SilverGLE (09-29-2016), StevSam (10-14-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-29-2016, 09:09 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Here's a shot from Runoffs qualifying earlier in the week. Notice how bright and sunny it was that day:

Last edited by dkmura; 09-29-2016 at 09:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dkmura:
MicVelo (09-29-2016), StevSam (10-14-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 09:12 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Hail to the victor! Following Derek through to the checkered flag on a somewhat cloudy and dark race day:

The following 3 users liked this post by dkmura:
MicVelo (09-29-2016), SilverGLE (09-29-2016), StevSam (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 08:20 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

No joy on the video yet, but here's one you've gotta see:

https://www.scca.com/videos/2029816

350Z owners take note: the Z33 scored Nissan's 100th Runoffs victory! With multiple victories in SCCA competition it's proven a worthy link in the legendary Z racing heritage. And YOU can still be part of it if you learn to race or rally your Z at organized events around the country.

Last edited by dkmura; 10-14-2016 at 08:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SilverGLE (10-14-2016)

Quick Reply: 2016 Z Racing Plans