Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 09:57 PM
SilverGLE

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy

So, last week I picked up a new-to-me 04 350Z base in black! Only 98k miles, too! Car runs great, and already has the following:

Tein S-Tech Springs w/ Stock Struts
Greddy Evo3 Catback (technically Y-Pipe Back)
JWT Popcharger

Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy-2lf4tokl.jpg

The end goal is to prep the car for SCCA’s STU autocross class, and drive it in 3-4 track days a year, eventually moving into NASA Time Trials (probably TTB).

Previously, I had a 2007 Subaru STI Limited! Fun car that eventually destroyed 2 rings on the #4 piston, leading me to agonize over the decision of rebuilding the motor or not. Wound up rebuilding it, including upgrading the turbo, injectors, intercooler, and other supporting bits for a Blouch 1.5 XTR turbo that made a stupidly-fun 383 AWHP/380AWTQ at 22.5 PSI!

Shameless Pics of the STI:

This past Saturday, 3/26, I took the car to Z1 Motorsports in Carrolton, GA. I figured I would have someone that was more familiar than myself take a good look at it, so I could start working on the things to get it up to snuff for AX and trackwork. They came back with a leaking driver front shock, bad rear diff bushing, shot front LCA & front compression rod bushings, and the rear pads are low.

I’ll be heading back to let them handle the rear diff bushing, and upgrading the rear subframe bushings at the same time. I want to replace the Greddy with something lighter and more one-sided, too. I think I’ve settledon the Z1 single exit (formerly Momentum) with a Moterdyne y-pipe with the resonator instead of the straight pipe. Hopefully this will keep the noise down for events with sound! And in the meantime I’m keeping an eye out for used suspension components in the meantime! Wheels & tires will likely be RE71R in 275/35/18 (or maybe 285) on RPF1 18x10.5 +15, unless another similar-size wheel I like better pops up. And an actual LSD, eventually...

It still has some other issues, such as the horrible stock stereo that's coming out this week. And the wonderful window regulators that don't like to do as they're told... I have the receipt for the driver's side (lifetime warranty), but I don't think the passenger side has been touched and now it's acting up. Of course the cubby door in the center console sticks. The usual Z stuff.

Pics:

On the lift. Can barely tell the rear exhaust gaskets are leaking, and can see the hanger has broken off the piping on the driver side, leaving a small hole.

Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy-y85qxqfl.jpg

Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy-8xgn3jtl.jpg

Cats scraped at times.

Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy-wazmhgvl.jpg

Leaky stuff.

Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy-ib84xf8l.jpg

Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy-fe8n8e8l.jpg

The driver’s front suspension.

Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy-3v3lzudl.jpg

Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy-kkiikbvl.jpg

Last edited by SilverGLE; 03-29-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:01 AM
13esim

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to the NA side of things. I left behind the turbo life as well

Post a sound clip of the Z1 exhaust when you get it, I am genuinely interested in the same exhaust.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:54 AM
SilverGLE

^ The turbo life is really fun! And I may go back, one day... But I think I need to slow myself down and K.I.S.S.

Definitely will post a sound clip after it's installed! It'll probably be 1-2 months, but it'll happen! I have a friend nearby with the original Momentum on his Z installed by the previous owner. Heard it with a resonator (no idea the size) and test pipes, it was LOUD the one run he took with it. I'm sure he'll find this thread soon enough...

Last edited by SilverGLE; 03-30-2016 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:49 AM
cbax

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome from a former ATLien! I autocrossed a 400whp Evo in SM for a couple years. Got rid of it last year and got the G to autocross. No lag, drives the right wheels, KISS for sure.

I recently picked up a turbo Subie that spun a bearing 2 days after purchase. Spent a fortune on it so far on the rebuild, now at 85 miles on the new motor, looking for 300+whp once she's broken in.

I'm also interested in the sound clip and actual decibel levels if possible. I've been eyeballing that exhaust as well.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:25 AM
SilverGLE

^ Thought about a G, but had no need for a backseat. Just wanted a 6-speed and lighter weight.

02-05 WRX...? Spun bearing sounds like a 2.0L. *sigh*

I dont know if I can get dB readings, but I'll see what I can do once I pick it up!
Old 03-30-2016, 10:34 AM
cbax

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^ the backseat was my selling point to the wife. Lol Because the only way a stripped down loud G in ESP is practical is if I can haul my 3 year old around. And eventually it will give me somewhere to put the Rcomps on the way to events. Don't mind the fact that I just fix mounted my passenger and driver's seats. doh!

I've seen some YT videos that Z1 has done in their parking lot with a decibel meter. See if you can use it.

The Subie is an '05 Outback w/ an EJ255. It was 100% stock. Now has a VF52, forged pistons, bunch of bolt-ons. Sleeper wagon toy.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:43 AM
SilverGLE

Ha! I have a 09 528i for the DD duties, thankfully! Althought, a backseat to store some extra stuff would be nice.... At least I have a tire trailer for that! Fixed-back seats, harness bar/rear 4-point cage, and harnesses are all on the want list.

I'll give it a go for sure!

Nice! I like fast wagons.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:53 AM
Flier129

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi!!!
Old 04-01-2016, 05:32 AM
SilverGLE

Drove the Z running errands after work last night... Love that VQ wail at WOT!

Originally Posted by Flier129
Hi!!!
Old 04-12-2016, 10:05 PM
SilverGLE

So I'm contemplating suspension options... With a FL strut, I'm not sure which direction I should take! I don't have the $$$ for the spec-STU suspension setup, and I'm thinking about sticking with stock shocks/struts and springs for now, but I'm not sure which springs would pair well with the shocks/struts. I';ll be grabbing FUCAs, likely Kinetix, to go with whatever I do, too.

I did managed to snag a pair of 18x10.5 +15 RPF1s, so I just need to find another pair and order tires. I'm trying to hold out for Discount Tire having a sale around Memorial Day, as they carry RPF1s and RE71Rs.

I will be upgrading the rear diff bushings, probably using SPL.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:53 AM
eye-5

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

There was a rebate on RE71rs from Bridgestone. I know the tires are exclusive to Tire Rack so the best Discount will do is price match because they have to order them from Tire Rack themselves.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:34 AM
SilverGLE

Originally Posted by eye-5
There was a rebate on RE71rs from Bridgestone. I know the tires are exclusive to Tire Rack so the best Discount will do is price match because they have to order them from Tire Rack themselves.
Yeah, gotta live TR and their exclusivity! Loved the original Star Specs' pricing jumping up $200 after they got that contract.

I did call DT a couple of weeks ago, and their pricing mounted & lifetime balanced OTD was ~$120 more than TR, which includes sales tax. I'm sure they'd PM TR's current pricing, they love to get business!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:26 PM
SilverGLE

Managed to snag a pair of display RPF1s in the almighty 18x10.5 +15! Waiting on another pair, and hoping Discount Tire has some good tire deals come Memorial Day. Also have some Berk HFCs on the way.

And I signed for my first event in the Z this Sunday with AX Atlanta at Atlanta Dragway!
Old 04-21-2016, 05:52 AM
eye-5

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Just a heads up, I'm not sure the RPF1s will clear the brembo's if you ever decide to go that route.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:34 PM
SilverGLE

Originally Posted by eye-5
Just a heads up, I'm not sure the RPF1s will clear the brembo's if you ever decide to go that route.
Well, I've got a pair on the way...! I'm 95% sure they'll clear as I have a friend with an 03 Track running the same width/offset.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:16 PM
SilverGLE

Finally had my first event in the Z with Auto X Atlanta at Atlanta Dragway yesterday! Ran on some 75% or so Toyo Extensa tires, which had surprising grip! We had a whopping 8 runs, and I managed a 41.8xx to place 4th of 5 drivers in STU. I also really like the live timing feature they use: http://live.axti.me/results/NkLII-Pl-. The winning STU run was a 38.478 by a newer STI hatch on 265s.

I wish I had good video, instead of my craptacular dashcam footage. Was actively using the GoPro when I saw it shut off after I thought I'd started it recording. Realized then I had no SD card in it, and had left it in my damn laptop!

I had a blast running this thing around the course! I can only imagine what better suspension, wider wheels, and wider/grippier tires will feel like! Hopefully some photos will turn up online in a few days. Next event is this Sunday at Atlanta Motor Speedway with the Atlanta Region SCCA!

A few pics:

Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy-pju1tnnl.jpg

Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy-bgcxxshl.jpg

Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy-d45gdihl.jpg

Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy-nj03xupl.jpg

Last edited by SilverGLE; 04-25-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:03 AM
Flier129

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, I didn't know Atlanta had that many STU drivers. I'll have to come down there sometime this year!
Old 04-26-2016, 10:56 AM
SilverGLE

Originally Posted by Flier129
Oh, I didn't know Atlanta had that many STU drivers. I'll have to come down there sometime this year!
Do it.

You're only 2:15 or so from Turner Field, however much longer AR will have its use! And around half that to Atlanta Dragway!

Atlanta Motor Speedway, on the other hand... That could be a much longer drive!
Old 05-01-2016, 11:23 AM
SilverGLE

So, didn't make today's Atlanta Region event. I attempted to install the rebuilt Brembos I'd purchased off RockAuto and while bleeding them, I kept getting these white flakes coming out of the passenger caliper... Ran over 1/2L of RBF600 through that caliper and the amount of flakes never decreased. Took it for a drive and I had to pump the brakes to get any semblance of reasonable braking! I'm going to try to take another peek at it tonight or tomorrow. Here's a vid of the flakes:

I did grab the video from the AutoX Atlanta Points #2 event off my dashcam... Please excuse the horrible quality of the sound and mediocre video!

Old 05-01-2016, 07:24 PM
SilverGLE

Slight update... Bled the passenger caliper again with about 3/4 L of RBF600... Saw a small amount of flakes come out of the inner bleeder, and a TON come out of the outer bleeder. Going to call RockAuto/A-1 Cardone tomorrow and see what they say. And buy some cheap brake fluid to try more bleeding until I figure this out.

Last edited by SilverGLE; 05-01-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Another Wannabe STU/NASA TT Guy