Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Blew sound at local event - quiet single exit exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 11:24 PM
GodISmE

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the sound of AAM which the OP is talking about here but I want to custom build it locally (shipping from US to my country would probably cost as much as the exhaust itself!) - that's why I'm wondering how it's built.

jledford, can you let me know pls.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:40 AM
jledford

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn350zHR
As long as its not rattling against anything fitment wise all the exhausts seem to fit tight. The back bumper tho will melt if the muffler is touching. It should be quieter than the Tomei being stainless. Stainless is going to weigh more than titanium. My custom exhaust is light only because of the Burns race mufflers used.
It's not rattling at this point, the Tomei was just much easier to align to get nothing to touch. The AAM I had to hold up with a prybar while tightening some connections to get it to stay of the W brace under the car.

I'm going to have to do something about the bumper because it's definitely touching slightly at this point. Are the bumper "tucks" that a lot of the street cars do frowned upon in STU? Or would that be legal / no one would protest?

I knew the stainless was going to weigh more, also deadens the sound better. I just wanted a before and after weight to see what it cost me in weight to meet sound.

I might look into a custom muffler, there's a very good fab shop within a couple of hours of me that could fix any issues I'm having with fitment and replace the muffler.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:43 AM
jledford

Originally Posted by GodISmE
jledford, can you let me know pls.
Which part do you have a question about?

I don't feel like I lost any power vs the stock muffler. In fact when I first put the Tomei on it felt like I gained some power just from seat of the pants. No big difference in feel when I went from Tomei to AAM, just a lot quieter.

I haven't had it dyno'd or tuned at this point but I see no way that a 3" y-pipe back could lose power and I'd assume after a tune it can only help increase power.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:53 AM
GodISmE

What is the diameter of each part - Y pipe and the rest? Do you still have the original cats? - edit: nevermind, I read now that you have all stock parts and just a 3'' aftermarket exit.
The problem is related to the loss of back pressure in some systems which are built more for FI cars rather then NA ones.

Is this how it sounds on your car? I'm wondering how much louder it will be if you were to remove tha cats and replace them with resonated test pipes?
This guy has it installed with aftermarket test pipes and Y pipe:

Last edited by GodISmE; 10-12-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:30 AM
jledford

I currently have stock headers, stock cats, and stock y-pipe. So at this point mine sounds more like the 1st video than the 2nd. The 2nd video is closer to how the Tomei sounded, but still think the Tomei sounded better.

I want to do PPE long tube headers and y-pipe with high flow cats over the winter, I'm sure the sound will be louder then but hoping not too much.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:06 AM
GodISmE

I really like the sound of the second one but it's hard to say how loud it's going to be with resonated test pipes. I hope a custom made muffler with take care of that.

By the way, wouldn't the PPE headers replace the cats? They go straight into the Y pipe as far as I know. It will be crazy loud!

Last edited by GodISmE; 10-13-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:24 AM
SilverGLE

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I really like the sound of the second one but it's hard to say how loud it's going to be with resonated test pipes. I hope a custom made muffler with take care of that.

By the way, wouldn't the PPE headers replace the cats? They go straight into the Y pipe as far as I know. It will be crazy loud!
Yes, the PPE longtubes replaces the stock cats as well as the stock headers, hence the custom y-pipe with HFCs close to the upstream flanges.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:39 AM
jledford

SilverGLE has it right, yes the PPE headers replace the stock cats, but I would get a y-pipe with hi-flow cats that should muffle some sound (probably not as much as stock cats, but more than a straight pipe).