Notices

DIY- Add paddle shifters to any Nissan/Infiniti

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Oleg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aloh
Hm well what i relaly like about this kit is that it uses the OEM paddles from the G35's.

I hope John finds a solution to it.

Actually he DOES have a solution. It is not impossible, according to him. It just requires a bit of extra work to position the shifter around the ignition switch. Once my car is done, pics and directions will be posted.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:38 PM
aloh

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oleg
Actually he DOES have a solution. It is not impossible, according to him. It just requires a bit of extra work to position the shifter around the ignition switch. Once my car is done, pics and directions will be posted.
Good news indeed. Keep us updated!!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Oleg

Give me a week or two. These paddles fit the interior so much...
Old 03-11-2008, 11:09 PM
michaeljr6

sick write up

thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 11:19 PM
aloh

Originally Posted by Oleg
These paddles fit the interior so much...
Precisely the reason why i would buy this kit over any other ones.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Oleg

Originally Posted by michaeljr6
sick write up

thanks
I do not know what you expected at this stage, but this is not yet a writeup, just a small update. Basically the switch setup of the right paddle does not clear the ignition switch. Here is what must be done. The plastic part of the paddle is going to be trimmed and a microswitch will be put in its place. However I will not be doing this myself, I am going to drop the car off and hopefully John will take some pics of what's required to do during the process.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:44 AM
james840a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This got me a thinking, of how i can redesign the switchs. How much were the G35 paddle shifter? i might go pick up a pair at Riverside Inifity were Tony works.
I think there is a way to use the switchs i have in this paddle shifter, so you dont have to use the relays.

Was looking around more, and found this picture: Those paddles look to low for me at the top tips.

Compaired with the Ferrari 360 spyder:

See how were hes figures are related to the paddles.

Last edited by james840a; 03-12-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:03 PM
aloh

woah. those g35 paddles are really low...i thought they were higher up than that.

They definately need to be higher up to be in a comfortable position. I guess the OEM paddles look good, but might not feel right.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:10 PM
turbocad6

I need to modify the right side paddle, it don't fit. I will make it fit though, it'll need to be modified with a remote mounted microswitch... doable.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:14 PM
turbocad6

they are a bit low, but very comfortable in use...

you can NOT do this without the relays, period, unless you built an electronic circuit/module, it can not be wired directly to the switches...
Old 03-12-2008, 03:22 PM
james840a

Originally Posted by turbocad6
they are a bit low, but very comfortable in use...

you can NOT do this without the relays, period, unless you built an electronic circuit/module, it can not be wired directly to the switches...
I wouldnt say NOT, as i can. I would be using other switches as like on my proto-type and gut those paddle shift switch out, basic re-build of them.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:44 PM
disgookonfiya

Great write up, i did the paddle shifter conversion on my 07 sedan, which is a lot less complicated... pretty much plug and play, but this doesn't seem too difficult.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 AM
turbocad6

Originally Posted by james840a
I wouldnt say NOT, as i can. I would be using other switches as like on my proto-type and gut those paddle shift switch out, basic re-build of them.
there is no way you can do that with just normal switches. you would need a switch with one input & 2 outputs...

the computer needs to see a ground input for manual mode to be activated, for now I'll call that terminal 1. unless this terminal sees ground it its not in manual mode.

when a shift request is initiated, the ground has to go away from terminal 1 & be switched to terminal 2 or 3 (up or down) momentarily, & then has to switch back to terminal 1 at the computer. if you just send a ground pulse to terminal 2 or 3 without removing the ground from 1 at the same time, it will throw up a code & manual mode will be overridden.

if your switches had one input & 2 outputs,then the switch would really be doing exactly what the relay is doing, short of switches like that, the relays are the best solution really, the relays are nothing more than fancy switches, but in this setup they are the best practical solution short of building a solid state module to do these functions or using a funky one input 2 output switch built into the paddle. is that what your planning on using? then, yeah, it is possible...
Old 03-13-2008, 12:22 PM
james840a

Originally Posted by turbocad6
there is no way you can do that with just normal switches. you would need a switch with one input & 2 outputs...

the computer needs to see a ground input for manual mode to be activated, for now I'll call that terminal 1. unless this terminal sees ground it its not in manual mode.

when a shift request is initiated, the ground has to go away from terminal 1 & be switched to terminal 2 or 3 (up or down) momentarily, & then has to switch back to terminal 1 at the computer. if you just send a ground pulse to terminal 2 or 3 without removing the ground from 1 at the same time, it will throw up a code & manual mode will be overridden.

if your switches had one input & 2 outputs,then the switch would really be doing exactly what the relay is doing, short of switches like that, the relays are the best solution really, the relays are nothing more than fancy switches, but in this setup they are the best practical solution short of building a solid state module to do these functions or using a funky one input 2 output switch built into the paddle. is that what your planning on using? then, yeah, it is possible...

The switches i have, are C, NO, NC (1 input 2 output) on my current paddle shifters and are just like the ones in the car at the shifter lever/****. Since they are mounted to the column and not the wheel, they are not as funky as having the relays. I know the g35 paddles are just a normal switch, and just me, i would have redesign them to use the C,NO,NC switch, and not have a relay switcher for the 350z. But thats me, lease wires and no fuses to use. Just a basic 4 wire hook up. Im the type of guy that will take something apart and re-engineer it to my needs. I am by almeans not saying your way is bad, it is one way of doing it, if you didnt want to re-engineer those paddle shifter switches.

As for my paddle shifters, i am designing them to be a easily bolted on aftermarket and plug and play so that anyone can install them with out having to de-mount the steering wheel and spiral unit, cut or modify much, or even pull out the BCM and no soldering of wires. Here is a link if anyone wants to check it out of my design: https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/333463-paddle-shifter-oem-wheel.html
The pictures are of my proto-type and not the final product. On page 4 i have pictures of the switches used in the 350z, those are the ones im talking about.

Like i said, you have a great write up
Keep up the good work.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:30 PM
turbocad6

yeah, I've had a lot of guys think they can do this without relays & with the stock paddle switches, which is why I said it's not happening, but when you said you were going to change the switches completely then I realized that yes, it is possible with one input & 2 output switches... for the average install I think the relays are easier than re engineering the whole paddle assy & just as good for the most part, but yeah, if you have the ambition to re-engineer the paddle switches themselves, then your idea is sweet for sure... I haven't looked at your thread yet but will def check it out
Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 PM
turbocad6

ok, I just read your whole thread, nice setup you got there, it's more like the ferarri type paddles than the nissan type. to build a kit to sell, your way is definatley easier to install, & since your building everything from scratch & can spec the switches yourself, then I agree your way without relays is a great solution

on all the installs I've done or considered, I never really had a need to re-engineer the paddle switches themselves & the relay setup worked out as a great solution with the stock paddles, but since the Z will take re-engineering the switches anyway, I might consider switching over to a funky dual output microswitch for the z install, the delay of the relay is really only measured in milliseconds, but simplifying the wiring a bit is always a good thing. may not be practical for all the g's m's & fx's, but since the g needs to be rebuilt anyway, that may be a possibility... where did you sorce the switches themselves? are they as big as the oe ones at the shifter? size & stroke may still be an issue, no real drawbacks to the single pole switch/ relay combo, but at least worth me looking into the alternative...
Old 03-13-2008, 07:30 PM
z-u-later

Keep this thread going & the other one James started in the other section. You two are doing a great service to the G/Z community by developing these paddle shifters for us AT owners. It's not often we get a "one up" on the MT guys but this one takes the cake. It's definitely a worthwhile mod -- both from the performance & "cool" factor.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:54 AM
mrxkvn

i didnt know that was even possible . . . alot of work though
Old 03-17-2008, 08:37 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

that is awesome
Old 03-20-2008, 12:26 PM
DriftinZ

I would image some people have built auto's in there high horsepower Z/G's? This would be a cool mod to have with a built tranny. Allowing you to keep both hands on the steering wheel while making a run down the 1/4.

Quick Reply: DIY- Add paddle shifters to any Nissan/Infiniti