Notices

DIY: Painting '06- Headlights.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:53 PM
gr8scott_o

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverstripes
Well Ive decided to take on this project. Just waiting on my additions in the mail.

I have jdm replica sti lens on the way along with white ccfl halo rings to go behind the projector. Now i have to decided whether or not to leave that clear upper diffuser lens in or not. Some pics make it look good left in, and some dont. I wish I knew what lightwerks used for there turning signal. Looks good instead of seeing a bulb sticking out.
Getting ready to tackle this project... where did you get the sti lens? I have heard they have a thinner mounting surface, how did you solve that issue? Or did it even matter?

Wish I could help you on your problem getting the lights back together, but my lights are sitting on my floor right now, still assembled.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 PM
dyss

i'll contribute to this..

did it awhile back but if anyone was curious to see blacklights with black wheels... this might help

i also took out the piece of the lens that covered the blinker

Enjoy!

sorry if pics are big :x
Old 12-22-2008, 11:05 PM
drewk

I want to do this to mine but im too afraid of messing my lights up
I want to do this so bad, but I dont wanna eff things up. Headlights are effin expensive. Dr. Venture those red demon eyes look badass, I wish I knew how to do that.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:31 PM
dyss

Originally Posted by drewk
I want to do this so bad, but I dont wanna eff things up. Headlights are effin expensive. Dr. Venture those red demon eyes look badass, I wish I knew how to do that.
its really not that bad. hardest part really is making sure no moisture gets in there
Old 12-31-2008, 08:46 AM
350z-Jason

anyone buy the sti lense off ebay and install that at the same time?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:00 PM
mizzle

Originally Posted by 350z-Jason
anyone buy the sti lense off ebay and install that at the same time?
TheOtherRob did the STI len at the same time. He has pictures posted around here somewhere
Old 12-31-2008, 09:02 PM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I did the replica sti lens from ebay. Makes the cutoff very sharp and blue/purple. I would definitely recommend it for the price.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Behemel

I had my headlights done by a shop in MD. Shortly after I got mine done, they developed what looked like condensation on the inside near the top edges. After removing them and closer inspection, I realized that the lens has been damaged from chemicals or heat. I have no idea how it developed, but they're not getting any worse now. I can't take them back to the shop, because I'm in TX now. I'm assuming it'll come out after a bit of buffing/polishing. Anyone have any ideas on this?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:16 AM
Mazinger Z

Originally Posted by Behemel
I had my headlights done by a shop in MD. Shortly after I got mine done, they developed what looked like condensation on the inside near the top edges. After removing them and closer inspection, I realized that the lens has been damaged from chemicals or heat. I have no idea how it developed, but they're not getting any worse now. I can't take them back to the shop, because I'm in TX now. I'm assuming it'll come out after a bit of buffing/polishing. Anyone have any ideas on this?
Post some pix. That sucks...
Old 01-04-2009, 02:34 AM
omega6

Originally Posted by Behemel
When u say you "removed it" do you mean you reopened the headlight?

Does it look like dry moisture residue or stress cracks?

+ I dont recommend reopening them if it's inside.
+ If haze is outside; a very popular brand to buff out plastic is Meguirers Plastic X (do not press down too hard on the plastic cover - u can cause stress marks on the plastic)

GL
+
Old 01-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Behemel

No, I didn't reopen it. All I had to do was take out the headlight and remove the flasher light from the back. From that hole, I could feel the area that I'm talking about. If it were on the outside of the light, it would be too easy to fix.

I emailed lightwerkz.net, and they said they know exactly what I'm talking about, but they don't know of any way to fix it. I also emailed clearcorners.com, and they just said there is nothing they can do to help, and didn't offer any advice. I'll try contacting the shop that did the lights again, but I'm not having any high hopes.

I'll take pictures and post them as soon as I can.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:15 PM
gr8scott_o

Lessons Learned:

1) Don't attempt to sand the bezels. It's just a complete waste of time.

2) This goes double for using steel wool to get in the tight spots.

3) Cleanliness is next to godliness... Microfiber cloth works pretty well. Especially when it comes to getting the little residue that comes off the steel wool (see point #2).

4) Don't let your paint cans freeze in the garage before attempting to paint.

5) If you wet-sand your bezels because the paint froze and it looked like crap, dry the bezels completely before attempting to repaint.

6) De-grease the bezels before painting... or you will be relearning points 1-5 for the third damn time.

7) The bezels are made of two different types of plastic... the main bezel and the bottom half are a clear, translucent plasic. Sanding will expose this, but be prepared to sand the backs as well, because the mirror coating covers the entire part. The reflector for the turn signal and the cover for the LED side markers are made from an opaque light grey plastic.

8) Media-blasting (baking soda) the bezels will produce the following results... I am going to pop them in the car just to see what they look like once lit up, see if I get some unexpected results, but ultimately these will be black (for the last time, I hope). This pics make them look white, but they are more like frosted glass.

9) Lots of room for LED strips all around the rim of the bezels, and across the bridge over the lens. Since these areas are translucent, you really don't need to drill holes in your bezels... Not my thing, but hey, someone may find that interesting.

10) Liquid Clear lenses are cool... compared to Fresnel lenses:

Someday... I will finish this project...

Pics this weekend on what this looks like with sample headlight in the car and lit up, we'll see what happens.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:21 AM
CRAZY Z

Can someone post pictures or give more info on how the demon eyes are mounted and halos? Also, where did you get the parts to to do this?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:29 AM
o2sys

Im still debating if i should do this to my bi-xenons. Not that im scared to do them (used to do them all the time to subarus) its just such a permanent job.

Anyone regret painting theres? wish you had left it chrome?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:52 AM
Eclipseguy12

i want to do mine on my 06 black..but am very scared of ruining the lights...any1 want to trade me? lol
Old 01-31-2009, 07:59 AM
haeshik

Originally Posted by Eclipseguy12
i want to do mine on my 06 black..but am very scared of ruining the lights...any1 want to trade me? lol
if it were only that easy
Old 02-03-2009, 03:44 AM
Eclipseguy12

Originally Posted by haeshik
if it were only that easy
im venturing in having someone do them for me lol but warranty the work..lol
Old 02-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Behemel

Here are some pictures of my problem. It's taken with my phone, so it's a bit hard to see.

Suggestions?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Mazinger Z

^What's the problem? Bubbling? Orange peel?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Behemel

Neither. I don't really know how to explain it. It's like the inside of the lens is damaged from heat, chemicals or both. I pulled out the flasher bulb to make sure it wasn't condensation. I felt it through that hole, and it has a rough texture to it.

Quick Reply: DIY: Painting '06- Headlights.