Notices

DIY: Fix Your Dash Rattle/Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Toby-22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow great thread. I have the same buzzing/tapping noises in my dash. It only happens when it's cold so im pretty sure it's the same problem. Gonna try to fix it soon!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:20 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread!
I've had this exact rattle since I can remember owning the Z, but was too reserved to pop the dash open. I was afraid to trip the airbag or something.

I'm going to dip that bastard metal bracket into a vat of silicon if I have to.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:09 PM
dada

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get a creaking noise in my driver side, like plastic is settling, I just got the car a week ago and it was very cold, now the creaks are less (weather is warmer) but I cant tell if this is the culprit, anybody else getting the feeling of plasting settling (crick crick) in the dash?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:32 PM
ryanht1

Great post...I followed and this is exactly what was going on in my Z...no more rattles and the car sounds brand new again. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You're welcome...and welcome to the forum.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Superfly84zx

You might remember me from this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...-fix-help.html

I have to say to the maker of this guide - great job!!! I've since taken off my dash again and went even crazier on the foam and tape and zip ties!!! I even have a cotton sock ziptied around a white sensor.

I'm now convinced that there is so much under there rattling and vibrating that you just have to tape and foam up everything. I never did put tape on that metal bracket like you did but it prob couldnt hurt. I dont think I'm going to take this apart again as I've driven around for a week with it off and really cant find anything else under there thats loose. I'm about 90% quiet now.

I think I'm getting a small noise over from the passenger side up by the top of the door. My GF has been the squeek checker but since she's a flight attendant her hearing isnt so good LOL She's hot in her uniform so I'll keep her. But I need to get someone to drive me around on a rough road so i can find this final rattle...hope its just as simple as shimming a door panel or part near the windshield.

But to those that are living with these rattles. TRUST ME you have to take this apart and fix it!!! Its easy and soooo worth the effort. Like I said I've removed the lower panel twice. Just take it easy on the snaps
Old 06-01-2009, 09:12 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks and glad to hear your success! Most of the other noises I get are so transient and random they don't bother me as much...the one that birthed this how-to was constant and had to be dealt with. lol
Old 06-09-2009, 01:58 PM
withagee

Default Followed your lead

Thanks for the tip. Found out the source of the rattle when I removed the dash to have the UTEC installed. I searched and found your thread. Now I can relax and I cut way back on using foul language as I drive...
Old 06-14-2009, 09:38 AM
350z2k3

Anyone have this rattle on an 07 or 08?
Old 06-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Nismo 78

Originally Posted by 350z2k3
Anyone have this rattle on an 07 or 08?
I've got the same rattle on my 07
Old 06-20-2009, 09:12 AM
spdtckts

my car just started doing this. or i just started noticing it. looks like ill be spending some quality time with it very soon.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:43 AM
daybluz

i had the same rattle, fortunately since i have had every peice of my interior trim
I insulated any possible rattle, my dash was rattling in the same spot so i did everything the op did but that only stopped half of it. So i started doctoring the dash again and found that the airbag harness was rattling. For future jobs i insulated all wiring, looms, harnesses and anything loose. Food for thought.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

so I finally made myself tear the dash apart and work on this yesterday. the noise came back this morning, so it wasn't coming from the metal to metal knee protector deal.

it sounds like the noise may be in the next panel closer to the door, with the air vent and all. I wish I could isolate it easier so I knew what to pad : )
Old 05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Pitlizard

I fix my dask noise or rattle by pushing a 1/2" square rubber groument between bottom of the windshield and the dash, black groument is not noticable, it stopped the noise...cheap fix.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

that might work for me too. I can stop the noise by applying more pressure to the dash.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:14 AM
vnarang

I was wondering if anyone found a DIY for the driver side, theres a rattle near the windshield that doesnt seem to go away even with pressure.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:48 AM
pfregeolle

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2006 Base, and I have got a freaking annoying buzz/rattle that almost seems to be coming from the passenger seat belt area around the B-Pillar. Anyone have a similar issue, or solution?
Old 10-08-2010, 10:39 PM
TLayson23

Originally Posted by Pitlizard
I fix my dask noise or rattle by pushing a 1/2" square rubber groument between bottom of the windshield and the dash, black groument is not noticable, it stopped the noise...cheap fix.
I'm gonna have to try this because my rattle seems to be coming from around the top of the dash close to the windshield... i just got the car and this is the first time its been below 70 degrees since ive had it and also the first time ive heard this rattle, so i guess it has something to do with the temp but its driving me nuts
Old 06-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Delta_two-Niner

Unhappy uhh

it doesn't seem that anybody got to the issue of this clicking noise on the driver's side.

Mine is driving me NUTS !!!!

coming from drivers side up top near windshield, sometimes sounds like its coming from the far right side of the door, other days it definitely sounds like its coming from the lower left windshield area...

ahhhh !!!!! annoying !!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Delta_two-Niner

Thumbs up

well, found the noise...in case anyone is interested.

While experiencing issues with the clicking noise coming from the "windshield" or "passenger dash area" i noticed my stereo deck would lose power whenever i went over a sudden speed bump. So i take my car to best buy and the awesome guy that installed my deck in the first place was there, and conveniently took a look. He was able to replicate the cutting out by pressing upwards on the bottom left side of the deck. It would then cut out and then come right back on. Upon investigation he found the antenna connection was loose, and when moved it would cut out. To my surprise, it was causing the "clicking" or "tinging" sound as well. So he fastened the connection (antenna ground wire) and reinstalled the deck in its proper place.

I am happily back to enjoying my Z

Quick Reply: DIY: Fix Your Dash Rattle/Squeak