Notices

DIY: Fix Your Dash Rattle/Squeak

Old 11-10-2008, 07:56 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY: Fix Your Dash Rattle/Squeak

I've had this metallic Rattle/Squeak that emanates from the passenger dash area since my car was new. This happened mostly when the car was cold. Since the weather turned recently, I was hearing it more often and finally got tired of it enough to take my dash apart and try to fix it. I was shocked to find out how easy it was so I had to make a DIY.

A little history: At first I couldn't tell where it was coming from...thought the passenger visor or rearview mirror since those were documented TSBs but I could not reproduce it when the car was stationary. I then gave the center passenger dash area (marked with red dot) a thump and I could hear the same twang that I got going over bumps.

I posted about this in the AV section previously and Chris@Migliore was kind enough to respond with a how-to on dash removal which I've based these steps on. I was very happy to find I only had to remove the lower portion of the dash to fix my rattle. These instruction are based on a 2004.5 model so there may be some slight differences with other year Z's.

TOOLS:
10mm deep socket and/or extension
philips screw driver
long, narrow flathead screw driver (for popping off panel tabs)

1. Start by pulling up the front of the door trim piece next to the kick plate.

2. Next, lift up the weather stripping.

3. Then, remove the kick panel from the lower right hand side of the floorboard. It has a plastic nut at the back and two pop tabs at the front holding it in. Undo the nut first and stick a screw driver into the gap of the panel and door frame with the tip right at the pop tab. I use the leverage and it makes it easy.

4. Then, you'll have a phillips screw and nut showing, undo both.

5. Then, remove the drink holder using the flathead. You have to stick it in the top slot to depress a tab that releases it from the hinges. With removal of the drink holder, youll see a 10mm bolt. undo it. I also removed the bolt above the accessory outlet, but not sure if that was necessary.

6. Carefully pull the lower dash panel off. The tabs are mostly located along the top edge with a few on the right and one on the left. I found it easiest to start at the right and work my way to the left. Be gentle and take your time. I snapped the right most one, under the vent since it was a different/locking design. You might be better off getting underneath there and depressing that one before yanking on it.

7. Once you have the panel removed you'll see the culprit. The FSM refers to this as the "Knee Protector." See the attached PDF for schematic (part 27). I guess this is to protect an occupants knees from an airbag deployment so I wouldn't recommend removing it. The entire plate is cantilevered in place on two thin metal brackets that flex and spring making the twang sound I was hearing; easily reproduced by flicking the metal.

8. I thought if I could cushion the panel is someway that would isolate it from shock and prevent the sound, so out came the double-sided tape. Both kinds I had contained a foamy core that were perfect for this application. I ended up using the black one since it was thinner but I think there is plenty of clearance to use whatever you can find or have on hand.

9. To completely prevent metal/metal contact you're going to want to slit one end of the tape to wrap around the middle portion of the mounting brackets like so:

10. reattach the metal plate and reverse steps 1-6.

It's funny how fixing something so trivial can make your car feel new and solid again!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ip 10.pdf (113.7 KB, 866 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by 350Zenophile:
khnitz (08-03-2022), vp85 (05-29-2016)
Old 11-11-2008, 03:35 PM
vnarang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. Thanks for the DIY as I have this rattle too, but I'm getting from the corner near the windsheild on both passenger and driver side. It's really freaking annoying. Where that red dot it, I don't hear the noise from there.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

dude this is awesome. I am going to do this this weekend.. this was driving me bonkers
Old 11-28-2008, 09:59 PM
nothix

Originally Posted by vnarang
Interesting. Thanks for the DIY as I have this rattle too, but I'm getting from the corner near the windsheild on both passenger and driver side. It's really freaking annoying. Where that red dot it, I don't hear the noise from there.
+1 I have my headliner out now and seeing if there is an easy way to fix this squeak/ rattle
Old 11-28-2008, 10:01 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great work.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:21 AM
350Zenophile

Thanks guys...let me know if it works out for you. Mine is still rattle free.

I get the corner windshield one on the driver side occasionally, but that goes away pretty fast once the car hits the sun and the plastic expands. You might want to try shoving a few pieces of felt between the plastic and glass in those areas. That's worked for me in the past on other cars.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Z4ToddB

I've done the seach thing and found plenty of threads dealing with removing the center console, and now this excellent DIY for the passenger side rattle. However, has anyone removed the drivers side panels?? My rattle/squeek comes from that side, not the passenger. I want to pull my dash apart on the drivers side and see if something is loose. The sound is friggin driving me crazy!! If I bang on the little panel near the drivers side pillar with the angled vents on it, it goes away for like 5 seconds but comes right back. I've tried putting felt in between the 2 plastic pieces, but that hasn't worked either. Any help/how to's would be awesome!

Thanks!
TB
Old 12-01-2008, 12:12 PM
sharples2

Does anyone know if there is a DIY How to remove the dash and center section. I plan on cleaning and detailing my interior this winter. thanks in advance
Old 12-02-2008, 10:42 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have on right in left bottom corner next ro the cup holder that pops open. so annoying, gonna tear it apart over winter and put some felt in
Old 12-06-2008, 11:39 AM
ZeeForce

350Zenophile, thanks a bunch for a fix with the dash or knee protector plate rattle. I had to keep turning the music up louder to drown out the squeaks on both sides of the dash. I will be performing this task tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:36 AM
350Zenophile

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
350Zenophile, thanks a bunch for a fix with the dash or knee protector plate rattle. I had to keep turning the music up louder to drown out the squeaks on both sides of the dash. I will be performing this task tomorrow.
np. Just remember to take your time with the tabs so you don't snap any of them and be sure to let me know how it goes for you!
Old 01-20-2009, 05:10 PM
spinviper

I have the same problem. Thankz
Old 01-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just wondering if the rattle is almost like a buzzing sound? If it is then I need to do this. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2009, 07:14 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Voboy
I was just wondering if the rattle is almost like a buzzing sound? If it is then I need to do this. Thanks!
+1

i think mine comes from the passenger door panel (i'm not too sure tho), and i either get it on bumps or @ high rpm.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:44 AM
Entaille

my rattle is coming from this area.. if you put a little but of pressure on top of the panel, the noise stops. any ideas? i usually just turn the music up and drown it out. :/
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Fix Your Dash Rattle/Squeak-2qk73fc.jpg  
Old 01-21-2009, 07:53 AM
350Zenophile

Originally Posted by Voboy
For me it was, yes. You can try recreating it by a fist strike to the center of the passenger dash. If you hear it this is the fix.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Voboy

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
For me it was, yes. You can try recreating it by a fist strike to the center of the passenger dash. If you hear it this is the fix.
Thank you for confirming! Definitely gonna do this now.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Entaille

and if an airbag comes flying out you hit it too hard.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Voboy

Air bags are designed to cushion head injury... not deploy after your head smacks the dash...

Last edited by Voboy; 01-21-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Entaille

(sarcasm) : )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Fix Your Dash Rattle/Squeak