Notices

Tutorial: Leather Power/Heated Seat Swap!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 01:04 PM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corrado I sent u a PM email any info please.. I been wanting to do this for a long time and its getting cold up here so this is right on time... If you didn't get a PM Lemme kno I'll shoot the addy to u... Thanks broski...
Old 10-24-2010, 04:07 PM
corrado15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK here we go...

I bought a set of 03 seats with switches and the plugs which go into the back of the switches for my 06 Base so the wiring colors I detail should apply to anyone using the same spec years. If your colors don't match what I've detailed, let me know what years your seats and car are and I'll take a look at the wiring diagrams in the FSMs. If you didn't get the plugs for the back of the switches, then you're on your own - sorry

I'm assuming you have basic DIY skills. As stated in a previous post - if you managed to wire up the power seats, this part should present no real difficulties.

So - looking at the FSM wiring diagrams for the 03 and 06 I figured out the following wires coming out of the switches:

Drivers Seat Switch:
Light Green Wire - Illumination for the switch - tap into the hazard light switch in the center console - use the red/orange wire going into the hazard light switch

White - Illumination - tap into the red/blue wire going into the hazard light switch

Dark Green - this is the live supply coming into the switch - tap into the live going to the 12v accessory socket behind the seats in the same way as you did when wiring in the power seats

Black - ground - tap into the ground from the 12v accessory socket as per wiring the power seats

Red - this is the 'high heat' power supply coming out of the switch. Connect to the white wire on the base of the seat adjacent to where you connected the tapped live and earth to the power seats

Gray - the 'low heat' power supply coming out of the switch. Connect to the blue wire in the base of the seat, adjacent to where you connected the tapped live and earth to the power seats.

Passenger Switch:
Same as for drivers seat switch with the exception of the following:

Light Blue - this is the 'high heat' power supply coming out of the switch. Connect to the white wire on the base of the passenger seat adjacent to where you connected the tapped live and earth to the power seats.

Orange - the 'low heat' power supply coming out of the switch. Connect to the blue wire in the base of the passenger seat, adjacent to where you connected the tapped live and earth to the power seats.

Hope this is of some help...

Davy
The following users liked this post:
ModSwitch (03-23-2023)
Old 10-24-2010, 04:09 PM
corrado15

Originally Posted by 350zion
its getting cold up here so this is right on time...
Exactly why I finally spent an hour figuring this out! Let me know how you make out...

Davy.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:12 PM
350zion
Professional

So theres no relay? I always thought that this circuit had to go thru some kind of relay to work but guess not.. Thanks man ima try it as soon as I get a chance
Old 10-24-2010, 04:28 PM
labelworkshop75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow finally someone figured out how to read those crazy diagrams. Hope this works. I also assumed a relay was needed. So you are confirming no relay was used? I am going to do this some day this week and will post back here most likely with some pics. I also have 03 seats going into an 06
Old 10-24-2010, 05:30 PM
corrado15

Originally Posted by labelworkshop75
I also assumed a relay was needed. So you are confirming no relay was used?
There is a relay in the diagram of the factory wiring harness for the heated seats. All the relay does is feed power to the switches once the key is turned to 'ACC' - otherwise there would be power going to the seats at all times. Since you're going to be tapping into the supply to the accessory socket which already has a relay in its' circuit for the same reason, there's no need to add any additional relay or do anything other than what I've described previously.

Thanks,

Davy.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:06 PM
labelworkshop75

Originally Posted by corrado15
OK here we go...

I bought a set of 03 seats with switches and the plugs which go into the back of the switches for my 06 Base so the wiring colors I detail should apply to anyone using the same spec years. If your colors don't match what I've detailed, let me know what years your seats and car are and I'll take a look at the wiring diagrams in the FSMs. If you didn't get the plugs for the back of the switches, then you're on your own - sorry

I'm assuming you have basic DIY skills. As stated in a previous post - if you managed to wire up the power seats, this part should present no real difficulties.

So - looking at the FSM wiring diagrams for the 03 and 06 I figured out the following wires coming out of the switches:

Drivers Seat Switch:
Light Green Wire - Illumination for the switch - tap into the hazard light switch in the center console - use the red/orange wire going into the hazard light switch

White - Illumination - tap into the red/blue wire going into the hazard light switch

Dark Green - this is the live supply coming into the switch - tap into the live going to the 12v accessory socket behind the seats in the same way as you did when wiring in the power seats

Black - ground - tap into the ground from the 12v accessory socket as per wiring the power seats

Red - this is the 'high heat' power supply coming out of the switch. Connect to the white wire on the base of the seat adjacent to where you connected the tapped live and earth to the power seats

Gray - the 'low heat' power supply coming out of the switch. Connect to the blue wire in the base of the seat, adjacent to where you connected the tapped live and earth to the power seats.

Passenger Switch:

Light Blue - this is the 'high heat' power supply coming out of the switch. Connect to the white wire on the base of the passenger seat adjacent to where you connected the tapped live and earth to the power seats.

Orange - the 'low heat' power supply coming out of the switch. Connect to the blue wire in the base of the passenger seat, adjacent to where you connected the tapped live and earth to the power seats.

Davy

I just tried hooking them up with no luck. I'm not sure what you meant when you say

Red - this is the 'high heat' power supply coming out of the switch. Connect to the white wire on the base of the seat adjacent to where you connected the tapped live and earth to the power seats.

I tapped into white and blue there in my pics. Used a black wire to hook low power (Grey on switch) Not sure if that is correct. Also did not have power and ground hooked up to the power seat motors. Just had the heat wires running. The power and ground should not have to be connected while I was testing the heat???
Attached Thumbnails Tutorial: Leather Power/Heated Seat Swap!-seat.jpg   Tutorial: Leather Power/Heated Seat Swap!-seat1.jpg   Tutorial: Leather Power/Heated Seat Swap!-seat2.jpg   Tutorial: Leather Power/Heated Seat Swap!-seat3.jpg  

Last edited by labelworkshop75; 10-24-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:10 AM
corrado15

I tapped into the blue and white wires at the plug in the top right of the third photo (beside where your left leg would be when the seat is installed, assuming the photos are of the drivers seat). This is where I also connected the power and ground for the power seats. It looks like these are the same wires you tapped into, just in a different spot.

The issue is most likely that you did have the ground wire from the powered seats connected. I don't have access to the FSMs whilst at work, but I'm almost certain the power and heating circuits use a common earth when hooked up the way I did it.

Hope this helps.

Davy.

Last edited by corrado15; 10-25-2010 at 05:11 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:11 AM
labelworkshop75

Ok, I will connect power and ground to the power seats, and see if the heat works. If not then I will move the blue and white tap spots to the top right. I don't think moveing the blue and white tap spots will do anything since it looks like the same wire. Just tapped into it at a different spot.

The pic is of the passanger seat.

Will post pics tonight once I try it again. FINGERS CROSSED
Old 10-25-2010, 04:12 PM
labelworkshop75

made some more progress but not finished yet. I completed the harness extensions for the passenger seat, but turns out I was wiring up the drivers side switch/plug. The drivers side plug only plugs into the drivers side switch. It will not plug into the passenger switch. So my question is will the driver side plug with switch only work with the drivers seat. Or can I route the drivers side switch / plug and run that to the passenger seat. Confusing I know
Old 10-25-2010, 04:19 PM
corrado15

can I route the drivers side switch / plug and run that to the passenger seat. Confusing I know
It should work - only thing is that the print on the face of the switch points to the seat it operates...so you would depress the switch that points to the passenger seat to operate the drivers seat and vice versa (if I'm understanding what you're saying).

You've waited this long - might as well do it right!

Davy
Old 10-25-2010, 04:35 PM
350zion
Professional

Drivers Seat Switch:

Passenger Switch:

Davy[/QUOTE]

I havent tried this yet still waiting on my car. The BOLD type would be the color at the switch then. Im not sure I have the original plugs for the switches. I did but I haz mizplaced them like a dam fool. I was waitin soooooo long to do this. Is there any way u can help me wit the location of the pins on the switch that correspond to the wire colors
Old 10-25-2010, 04:46 PM
corrado15

Yep - bold type is the colour coming out of the plug at the back of the switch.

There's a photo of a plug complete with wires a couple of pages back - you should be able to use it. Bear in mind that the drivers and passengers plugs are mirror images of each other and the corresponding pins are in the mirrored positions at the back of each switch.

Edit: here's the photo

Davy

Last edited by corrado15; 10-25-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:54 PM
350zion
Professional

gotcha.. I can haz heats now

Thanks... Ill post baack wit my progress as soon as the car returns
Old 10-26-2010, 03:34 PM
labelworkshop75

Ok well I tried this method again with no luck. I'm starting to doubt if this actually works...Ah, frustrating. I finished extending both of my now custom switch harnesses. I even moved the Blue and White tap locations to the top right like you stated. Still nothing. Everything is properly wired. All colors from plug matching up to the wires you mentioned. When I turn the car to accessory or whatever, the power seats do work. So I know the switch and everything else is getting proper power and ground. The switch illuminates, but only the bottom "bigger" light on the switch. It is the only light on the switch that lights up and this big bottom light is on whether the switch is pressed up or down. But in the center "off" position the light is off. I dunno. I'm kind of pissed this didn't work for me. I tried both passenger and drivers harnesses I made. What am I missing. I have included a few pics of my harness, and of where I tapped into the seat.
Attached Thumbnails Tutorial: Leather Power/Heated Seat Swap!-pa261829.jpg   Tutorial: Leather Power/Heated Seat Swap!-pa261831.jpg   Tutorial: Leather Power/Heated Seat Swap!-pa261832.jpg   Tutorial: Leather Power/Heated Seat Swap!-pa261833.jpg   Tutorial: Leather Power/Heated Seat Swap!-pa261834.jpg  

Old 10-26-2010, 03:46 PM
corrado15

The switch illuminates, but only the bottom "bigger" light on the switch. It is the only light on the switch that lights up and this big bottom light is on whether the switch is pressed up or down. But in the center "off" position the light is off.
There only is the one light on each switch - that's the way they're supposed to work. Did you try sitting on the seats to find out if they're heating?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 PM
labelworkshop75

So that top "light area" is not functional. Seems like there are three slits for a light. Also what is high heat. The top pressed or the bottom of the switch pressed. My guess would be the top down is high heat. How long does the seat take to heat up. Can I feel this by just touching the seat with my hand or do you have to sit in it to feel the heat.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:08 PM
corrado15

So that top "light area" is not functional. Seems like there are three slits for a light. Also what is high heat. The top pressed or the bottom of the switch pressed. My guess would be the top down is high heat. How long does the seat take to heat up. Can I feel this by just touching the seat with my hand or do you have to sit in it to feel the heat.
The thicker bar is just printed on the surface of the switch and indicates high heat, smaller/thinner bar for low heat.

You'll need to sit on the seat, put it on high and give it 3-5 minutes. You.should definitely know by then
Old 10-26-2010, 04:25 PM
labelworkshop75

I will do another test tom after work
Old 10-26-2010, 05:36 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

subscribed. great DIY. a friend of mine was interested in doing this.

Quick Reply: Tutorial: Leather Power/Heated Seat Swap!