Notices

DIY: Halo and Clear Lens mod on '06-'08 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:10 PM
RedlineAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my lights back. Heres the result. Halos, STI lenses, and painted semigloss with AX6 redline projector shrouds, and removed dimple covers. Sorry for the crappy pic of the halos, I was using a 9volt battery and a cell phone camera. They will look brighter once installed on the car.

Special thanks to TTRANK for the AMAZING quality and attention to detail.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:54 PM
KaZ_77

sickness!!!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:36 PM
bikinilust

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by usmanasif
and finally, paint the projector shield and the area below and ahead of it, blue. It causes a neat effect when the viewer is at just the right angle in both daylight and when halos or headlights are on. And it is does that without changing the color of the light itself.

These pics are in my thread as well but I will post them here too for context. You can see the effect of the paint inside the projector and catch a glimpse of the aluminum tape layers as well.

Headlights off:

Headlights on:

The effect under flash photography:

can you please go into detail as to how you went about painting these parts blue?

like where EXACTLY did you paint?
what type of paint did you use? [exp: high temp, metallic, matte, gloss, dark blue, light blue,etc]
did this blue paint dilute the headlights light output?
did you use a high temp primer or an adhesion promoter like "BULLDOG"?

sorry if my question is a bit technical
Old 10-14-2010, 12:16 PM
slappy1986

is that the halo u bought?
http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...lo-CCFL/Detail
Old 10-14-2010, 12:18 PM
slappy1986

where u paint this? urself?

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
Just got my lights back. Heres the result. Halos, STI lenses, and painted semigloss with AX6 redline projector shrouds, and removed dimple covers. Sorry for the crappy pic of the halos, I was using a 9volt battery and a cell phone camera. They will look brighter once installed on the car.

Special thanks to TTRANK for the AMAZING quality and attention to detail.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:54 PM
gr8scott_o

Originally Posted by slappy1986
Looks like it. Correct size.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:19 PM
gr8scott_o

Originally Posted by bikinilust
can you please go into detail as to how you went about painting these parts blue?

like where EXACTLY did you paint?
what type of paint did you use? [exp: high temp, metallic, matte, gloss, dark blue, light blue,etc]
did this blue paint dilute the headlights light output?
did you use a high temp primer or an adhesion promoter like "BULLDOG"?

sorry if my question is a bit technical
I'll try to answer as best I can, I don't know if Usmanasif logs in much anymore.

As for where exactly to paint, if I remember correctly it's pretty obvious once you open the lights. It's a pot-metal piece that is directly behind the lens that is half-moon shaped. It is in front of the cut-off shield.

It is NOT, repeat, NOT the reflective mirror-polished part that is behind it.

See this pic for (not mine, linked from the demon-eye thread). See the half-moon shape below the red circles? That's it.

Like I said, once you get your lights apart, it's pretty obvious.

It does not in any way, shape or form dilute light output. In fact, it is in a "dark" part of the light. No light actually reflects from that area when the light is on.

As for what type of paint, I think he said he just used some Testor's model paint, but I may have "mis-remembered" that part.

Last edited by gr8scott_o; 10-14-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 10-15-2010, 08:43 AM
RedlineAZ

Originally Posted by slappy1986
where u paint this? urself?
A member from this site did all the headlight work for me. He gave me an awesome deal I couldn't refuse. His user name is TTRANK and if you want, you can pm him, I'm sure he will hook you up. Just tell him I sent you
Old 10-16-2010, 08:43 AM
slappy1986

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
A member from this site did all the headlight work for me. He gave me an awesome deal I couldn't refuse. His user name is TTRANK and if you want, you can pm him, I'm sure he will hook you up. Just tell him I sent you
alright thx
Old 11-29-2010, 11:10 PM
bikinilust

Anyone know where I can get a ccfl angle eye in 6000k. I've looked everywhere n can't find em in 95mm. Bmw n vw have angle eye kits iin 6000k so I know it exists.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Regul8or

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

I'm having issues with the wiring of the angel eyes. From your picture it looks like you just jammed the black and red leads from the converter into the plug that is attached to the daytime running amber led's??

I checked my angel eyes earlier, and they seemed to be working, but now, the leads may have shorted out. I tried to reconnect it, and neither the running lights nor angel eyes come on. The short only happened on one side, but now, when I test them, neither works.

I am not turning the car on, its on jacks, simply the battery.
Why would it work earlier but not now??/

Any help/ suggestions are appreciated, Im losing my mind!
Old 04-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Regul8or

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was a blown fuse...took me two hours to find out about the third fuse box..... I also didn't know that the fuse was called "tail lamp".
Old 04-14-2011, 02:23 PM
gr8scott_o

Originally Posted by Regul8or
It was a blown fuse...took me two hours to find out about the third fuse box..... I also didn't know that the fuse was called "tail lamp".
Glad you got it figured out. If it happens again, I would assume the worst and tear into the headlights again.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:17 PM
kujnot

question, do the clear sti lenses you bought to fit you 2006+ headlights fit 2003-2005 non hid, base headlights?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:38 PM
RedlineAZ

Originally Posted by kujnot
question, do the clear sti lenses you bought to fit you 2006+ headlights fit 2003-2005 non hid, base headlights?
No sir, the STI lenses are bigger then the 2005 style projector, so they will NOT fit
Old 04-18-2011, 06:27 PM
kujnot

i just purchased an hid conversion kit for my base model 2004, non-hid headlights, is there a clear sti lens that anyone knows of that would be compatible with my setup?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:29 PM
bikinilust

Originally Posted by kujnot
i just purchased an hid conversion kit for my base model 2004, non-hid headlights, is there a clear sti lens that anyone knows of that would be compatible with my setup?
dont know of any clear lense for the 04 headlights... its an odd sized lense

Just save up, bite the bullet, and get the 08 headlights.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:13 PM
bikinilust

Thanks Scott! The main reason I opened my lights back up this year was to fix damage caused on the plastic by excessive heat of the projectors.

Yes all, that is the secret that few here seem to have pointed out. As more and more people start painting their lights (or get them painted by vendors), I expect threads to start popping up. The '06+ projectors seem to generate A LOT of heat when on and all of it focuses on the first inch or two beyond the projector shroud, directly onto the headlight plastic (the concave piece). The OEM plastics are chrome, so they reflect that heat. Or it could also be that adding the spacer for the color mod changes the focal length just enough to cause the hot spot. But whatever the contributing factor may be, the projectors shed enough heat to start gradually melting the concave plastic downwards. To an observer, it appears that the paint is bubbling. I thought so too. But opening the headlight back up, I saw the damage. When that plastic melts and bends, the paint simply flexes and that causes it to develop waves and pits (like bubbling does).

Anyway, my solution was to sand the area smooth, then use epoxy to fill in the pits, sand those smooth too, then apply two layers of heat-resistant aluminum tape. It is a fairly thin tape used to repair HVAC ducts in homes or automotive mufflers, and can be sanded, painted etc. I then did a sand/primer/bake/wet sand/paint/bake cycle to help everything adhere to each other. Hopefully, the tape will absorb enough of the heat to keep the plastic from melting again. We shall see!

Headlights on:

So I liked the idea of the aluminum tape as a type of heat shied to protect the headlight from melting, but I wanted to expand on the idea...I wanted to do something that would protect the headlight but be seamless so you couldnt tell it was there.

So I:
* got some aluminum flashing from Home Depot
* cut the flashing into 2 strips [seeing how it was enough material for both headlights]
* rolled the aluminum till it got the same roundness of the headlight
* mounted the rolled flashing to the headlight with 1.5" clamps that I got from Harbor Freight
* traced the shape onto the flashing with a marker
* cut the flashing with a dremel [metal snips would have left a weird edge]
* fitted and trimmed the flashing several times til it was perfect with about a 1/8" inch border all around
* sanded and prepped the flashing piece and the headlight
* JB welded the flashing to the headlight, and moved the flashing around a little to ensure a good bond and to make some of the JB Weld would ooze out the sides [this will allow a seamless edge once cured and sanded]
* then clamped the flashing down to the headlight with 10 1.5" clamps
* When it got stiff, but not fully cured, I got a razor blade and trimmed the excess so I wouldnt have too much to sand later
* once fully cured, I sanded down the edges

This is the point where I am now... tomorrow will prime and sand to get rid of any nicks left over from the sanding. Then prime again, wetsand, and paint
Old 06-04-2011, 07:15 PM
bikinilust

clamp used
Name:  2011-06-04_19-37-35_554.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  110.6 KB

flashing being jb welded and mounted with 10 clamps
Name:  2011-06-04_19-37-20_15.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  163.1 KB

where im at now
Name:  2011-06-04_19-32-56_248.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  71.8 KB
Name:  2011-06-04_19-32-50_896.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  72.6 KB
Name:  2011-06-04_19-32-36_128.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  65.1 KB
Name:  2011-06-04_19-32-26_202.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  55.3 KB
Old 06-04-2011, 07:23 PM
bikinilust

oh and I liked the idea of having a color come through the projector lense, but wanted to do something different. So instead of blue, I used high temp flat black. So during the day and at certain angles it have a blacked out demon eye look going on...And I guess other cars have been doing this for awhile and they say that by using black inside the projector housing and cutoff shield, it gives you a little sharper cutoff because it gets rid of the little glare above the cut off...

Name:  2011-03-08_02-28-33_995.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  89.5 KB

dont worry, didnt paint the reflector bowl :-)

Last edited by bikinilust; 06-04-2011 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY: Halo and Clear Lens mod on '06-'08 headlights