Notices

DIY: Seat squeak/click fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 12:40 PM
N80

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

My seat also squeaks in the seat back area, up near the headrest. 2007 Enthusiast with manual seats. I thought it was the head rest but it does it with the headrest removed.

This car has Seasonal NVH disease. In the cold it has the rattle in the hatch area that no one can solve:

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...when-cold.html

When the weather warms up this noise goes away completely. Then the seat starts to squeak and the driver side door window rolls halfway back down when ever you roll it up. When it gets cold out, these two problems go away.

Fascinating.

Anyway, I just tune it out and look forward to the day when I finally gut this thing and put a cage in it.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:19 PM
N80

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

The squeak finally got to me. As mentioned, it came from the seat back. Sounded like a dog's squeaky toy with every bump in the road or corner. Sound occurred with the headrest in or out.

So I pulled the seat out and removed the upholstery and padding from the seat back. There are two zippers on the back of the seat. This was still a bit tedious. You have to get the padding loose from the airbag, you have to get the headrest holders out from the inside.

Once you have it down to the frame you will see a set of bars that the headrest attaches to that is part of the active headrest system. At the top of the seat frame there is a bar that the headrest pivots on. There are two guide slots with clear rubber trim in this bar. Two metal tabs pass through these slots and move back and forth when the headrest is flexed or the attached bars in the seat back are pushed on (which is why it squeaks with the headrest in or out).

I applied a little white lithium grease to these points. Squeak gone.

Sorry, no pictures. I was ticked off and in a hurry when I did this. PM me if you have this "squeaky toy" squeak coming from the seat back and or headrest and I'll see if I can help.

Note, for some reason the FSM does not show any part of the active headrest system of bars, nothing at all.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:12 PM
jes1888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm about the windows rolling down that's the security system, it's included in almost any car now, just in case a child or someone else leaves the arm or anything else in the window's path. I used to scare a few persons like that putting my neck (lol). I have that problem because i removed the window from the door. But if yous is seasonal, that means that maybe when that happens the rubber gets harder, or expands,who knows, if you wanna remove the problem, take the door panel out and the window is held by 3 screws that are covered with black round tapes, i think they're 12mm. I recommend to only play with the 2 screws near the handle and you're definitely eliminate the problem.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:13 PM
poetik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, my driver's seat has a problem where the support rod actually keeps coming out. It forces my chair to cave in on the right upper front area. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Edit: Found the fix!!

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...-clicking.html

Last edited by poetik; 10-29-2013 at 06:33 PM.