Notices

DIY: Footwell lights - a little different

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 12:50 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Default DIY: Footwell lights - a little different

I know there are several threads here on this topic, but my install is a little different, so I thought this post would be informative.

The other setups I've seen are either wired to the door switches, or perhaps the parking lights, so they either turn on/off with the doors, or are on all the time at night. I wanted mine to work exactly as the overhead dome lights work. That's to say I wanted the footwell lights to switch on/off with the doors, and/or if I switched the dome lights on manually. So, here's the wiring:

The wires are soldered to the traces which connect to the bulbs (LED's in this case), rather than to a switched 12v+ source from the car.

Here are the LED's I used, 12v natively, 12 LED's, and the exact orange color to match the OEM lights:

The color match was tough, and I tried several sources to find the "right" color. In most cases, "amber" really means "yellow", and that wouldn't have looked good, IMO. I like mods to look as though they might have come from the factory that way:

That loose wire is for the driver's side, and because there are two separate circuits for the footwell lights, each side can be switched on/off manually, but both come on with an open door, and fade down when the doors close.
The following users liked this post:
samsniss350z (10-09-2016)
Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 AM
zaperroni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good, is it only on the pass. side though?
Old 08-22-2010, 09:24 AM
dcains

Originally Posted by zaperroni
looks good, is it only on the pass. side though?
No. I just hadn't run that hanging wire over to the driver's side when I took that picture. My garage is pretty narrow, and the Z-doors are so large, so I can only work on one side of the car at a time. Then I have to back it out and pull in the other way so I can work on the opposite side All finished now, though.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:07 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Where in FL? I am in Naples. Would you like to do some wiring on my car. No color match just bright white led's.

Chris
Old 08-30-2010, 10:11 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

good job...very creative...i like the dimming feature that would come from the dome lights.....sweet...

-J
Old 08-30-2010, 10:21 AM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
good job...very creative...i like the dimming feature that would come from the dome lights.....sweet...

-J
+1

Nice DIY.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 AM
dcains

For those interested, here are the (orange) LED's I used:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...pecs%2FLB4.htm

These come without wires, so don't forget to order the ones listed on the "buy" page.

This place has self-adhesive LED strips, which would be very easy to work with:

http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips - EDIT: These suck, as they burn out quickly.

Lots of LED's on eBay, too.

Last edited by dcains; 11-21-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:55 PM
Persian-Z

That loose wire is for the driver's side, and because there are two separate circuits for the footwell lights, each side can be switched on/off manually, but both come on with an open door, and fade down when the doors close.[/QUOTE]

been thinking about doing the leds for a while now, but i would rather get to work on the system first but it looks amazing. i have a question for you, i also dont have the oem navigation so i wanted to do something "special" with the cubby. wanted to get a few ideas, and i saw yours. just wanted to see what you did with the space
Old 08-31-2010, 07:01 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by verdict.
+1

Nice DIY.
I might actually try this when I have time and feel like doing something different but subtle.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:12 PM
ANIBAL

Nice work men..looks very good!
Thanks for sharing your ideas!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:30 PM
dcains

Originally Posted by Persian-Z
been thinking about doing the leds for a while now, but i would rather get to work on the system first but it looks amazing. i have a question for you, i also dont have the oem navigation so i wanted to do something "special" with the cubby. wanted to get a few ideas, and i saw yours. just wanted to see what you did with the space
Here's a better pic of the Garmin 255W in the cubby:

In order to set it back far enough for the door to close, and also give some storage space in front (sunglasses, etc.), you need to use a shorter mount than comes with the unit originally. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Suction...1771321&sr=1-1

The mount is screwed into the back of the cubby, and the power supply for the GPS is wired to turn on/off with the ignition.

Never posted a pic of the driver's side footwell. It looks a lot brighter than the passenger side because of the reflections off the pedals:

Old 09-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Persian-Z

Originally Posted by dcains
Here's a better pic of the Garmin 255W in the cubby:

In order to set it back far enough for the door to close, and also give some storage space in front (sunglasses, etc.), you need to use a shorter mount than comes with the unit originally. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Suction...1771321&sr=1-1

The mount is screwed into the back of the cubby, and the power supply for the GPS is wired to turn on/off with the ignition.

Never posted a pic of the driver's side footwell. It looks a lot brighter than the passenger side because of the reflections off the pedals:

DAMN! everything you did to that car is exactly wut i had in mind. i suppose great minds really do think a like beautiful set up man, will definitely be running a set up some wut similar to this. thanks a lot of the pictures, very clean job!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:30 AM
dcains

Thanks for the compliments. I hope yours comes out the way you want it.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:51 AM
Brad350

Looks great, now I've got a new project to spend my time on. Thanks for the idea!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Johnz36

Whats the best place to run the wires down from dome light?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:36 PM
IXI DECAY IXI

How exactly did you do this project? I really love the idea on what you did but how exactly did you do it? Anyway you can go into detail on it?
Old 07-04-2011, 11:02 AM
dcains

Originally Posted by Johnz36
Whats the best place to run the wires down from dome light?
I removed the plastic trim on the right side of the headliner and the A-pillar, and used a coathanger to fish teh wires over from the center light housing. Then I ran the wires down the inside of the A-pillar trim to the floor area. Finally, fished the driver's side wire along the firewall under the dash.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:09 AM
dcains

Originally Posted by IXI DECAY IXI
How exactly did you do this project? I really love the idea on what you did but how exactly did you do it? Anyway you can go into detail on it?
I don't think there's much more to tell. The first pic shows how to wire the LEDs to the center light housing. You can pop it out of the roof with a thin screwdriver. Once that's done, you just run the wires across the top of the headliner and down the right A-pillar. To mount the LED strips you can use zip ties or double-sided tape to anyplace you choose under the dash. You don't have to pay much attention to the polarity of the wires, as if you hook up the LED strips and they don't work, just reverse the wires (no damage will be done to the LEDs). If you're not comfortable soldering and pulling off interior panels, you may want to get some help.

Any specific questions?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Justins08350z

One of my favorite mods. Everyone loves it. One question though, where exactly did you mount the LEDs on the passenger side? People keep accidentally kicking mine and breaking the resistors
Old 03-20-2014, 07:53 AM
Slei13

genius idea, i love it! cant wait to try it!

Quick Reply: DIY: Footwell lights - a little different