Notices

DIY: 350z 06 headlight upgrade walkthrough

Old 12-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Raybrant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedbyu
Guess nobody knows the answer to this or just doesn't care to answer.....
SOMEBODY is cranky...

How about you clarify your question and give some background information first before you throw your fit?

Start by telling us what you're trying to do. What I gathered from your previous posts (I had to piece things together...) is that you're putting 06+ headlights in your '04.

Now the things that make a difference is whether or not your vehicle is a base model. This is because the base model came with halogens and the harness is different (6 pin). The 06+ headlights are 8 pin and will bolt-on to anything that was factory equipped with HIDs. Just slap on the correct bulbs, cover and ballasts and you're all set (if you only got the housings). I recommend getting them as an assembly so you don't fry anything by mixing and matching new/old parts or incompatible parts.

However, if your car IS a base model it becomes more complicated. You will need to either cut the harness on your car to convert to 8 pin or cut the harness on your headlights to convert to 6 pin. You can find the connectors from dead Zs in the junkyard, on old/broken headlights or from other cars that share the same harness (I know Nissan Muranos use the same connectors). Do some searching on this forum for the wiring then cut and solder away.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:17 PM
speedbyu

Okay first of all not getting cranky or throwing a fit, but a least it got a response.

Now to your answer, mine is an enthusiast not a base (about 15 posts ago in this thread). I think I got changing the bulbs and using my old ballasts in the new style housings. My question I thought was simple and to the point. My car has a separate high beam and low beam. There are two separate bulbs and wiring harnesses there, one HID (low beam) and one H7 (high beam).
So that being said, how then will the lights change from low to high beam when I move the turn signal stalk forward and then back after just plugging in the low beam harness (HID with ballast) to the new bulb and installing it?

Last edited by speedbyu; 12-26-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:44 PM
speedbyu

The black plug with the green and black wires, to the right of the HID bulb assembly in this picture is my high beam.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: 350z 06 headlight upgrade walkthrough-dsc_0305.jpg  
Old 12-27-2011, 06:15 AM
Raybrant

Okay first of all not getting cranky or throwing a fit, but a least it got a response.

Now to your answer, mine is an enthusiast not a base (about 15 posts ago in this thread). I think I got changing the bulbs and using my old ballasts in the new style housings. My question I thought was simple and to the point. My car has a separate high beam and low beam. There are two separate bulbs and wiring harnesses there, one HID (low beam) and one H7 (high beam).
So that being said, how then will the lights change from low to high beam when I move the turn signal stalk forward and then back after just plugging in the low beam harness (HID with ballast) to the new bulb and installing it?
I think you're using the wrong bulb. The ballasts should be the same throughout the years so it should be compatible. What you will need to do some research on the bulbs which some of the guys up here already posted some info.

You're using the old style bulbs that came on the old HIDs which were not "bi-xenon". The whole point of bi-xenons is to have a high beam and low beam that are on the same bulb. What the old HIDs had was two bulbs, a HID low beam and a regular halogen high beam (easily distinguishable by the color of the light).

Keep asking questions when you got them and don't get impatient, somebody will answer you sooner or later.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:08 AM
speedbyu

Thanks Raybrant for your help. So the switch will make the ballast control the bi-xenon and switch from high to low? I wasn't sure if I had to do something to the wiring or switch itself. I figured the high beam harness would not be used and would be just tucked out of the way.
I have not bought anything yet, just trying to get the facts straight and figure out what I need before I buy anything.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Raybrant

Thanks Raybrant for your help. So the switch will make the ballast control the bi-xenon and switch from high to low? I wasn't sure if I had to do something to the wiring or switch itself. I figured the high beam harness would not be used and would be just tucked out of the way.
I have not bought anything yet, just trying to get the facts straight and figure out what I need before I buy anything.
So you have the 03-05 headlights? The harness is different between the old headlights and the new headlights. The headlights themselves are different (obviously).

If you haven't bought anything yet, just buy a set of 06+ headlight assemblies so that they come with everything hooked up for you to just drop in. From what you're telling me, you should not need to do any wiring, cutting or soldering.

Buy 06+ headlights and sell your 03-05 HIDs (they don't sell for much... ask me how I found out).
Old 12-27-2011, 11:54 AM
speedbyu

So basically if I buy a complete set it is plug and play and no need to worry about how it works, it just will. Cool.....now to search for headlight
Thanks for your help.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:26 PM
jaaf

when i installed 06 headlights on my 04 i literally just plugged in the one connector and everything worked perfect, no modifications were done/needed besides snipping a particular wire so that the drls were not on... i dont understand the point of this thread. please inform me
Old 01-05-2012, 06:54 PM
AshMan
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Did you not read his response to you?

Originally Posted by potato
you must have D2C bulbs then as their is no way. Check this,

dont get 03-05, thats a downgrade. buy the 06+ headlights new or wait for them to come up on the market here

Boss 338's
Old 01-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Nate08Z

Default new 350z owner

hello

Last edited by Nate08Z; 01-06-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 PM
jaaf

Originally Posted by AshMan
Did you not read his response to you?
so do the 06-08 not come these required bulbs? im just confused bc i ddnt do any of these modifications and it worked fine
Old 02-11-2012, 04:15 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I Think..... What's happening here is that there are 2 different type styles for the '06 oem headlights being talked about with HID set-up for '03-'05 models.
1. The oem '06 headlight set (complete) from Nissan dealer requires just plug in with little modification. Appox. $1100.
2. The other oem '06 headlight set that sells for less money (Appox $650) on ebay & elsewhere needs to use the harness from your '03-'05 headlights and new bulb is also required.....this set is what OP is using in his diy. I Think!

Last edited by sluggoZ; 02-11-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:38 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I forgot to mention that it's a good idea to wear gloves when handling HID bulbs....somehow body oils effect the life of the bulb.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Raybrant

Originally Posted by sluggoZ
I forgot to mention that it's a good idea to wear gloves when handling HID bulbs....somehow body oils effect the life of the bulb.
Smudging them with your fingerprints doesn't help either...

Just don't touch the bulb and you'll be fine, hold it at the plastic base.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:18 AM
narkotic

Some people in here are confused about how the high beams work in the 06+ lamps. Most likely they are like other "bi-xenon" setups and has a servo / flapper mechanism that adjusts the angle of the light when you flick the ****. It uses one bulb.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Rouse350z

so would i be able to use the stock hid from an 03 and buy a 8000k D2S bulb and it will work fine?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 AM
maximariceboi

Originally Posted by jaaf
when i installed 06 headlights on my 04 i literally just plugged in the one connector and everything worked perfect, no modifications were done/needed besides snipping a particular wire so that the drls were not on... i dont understand the point of this thread. please inform me
Hey can you tell me which wire did you snip? Thanks
Old 03-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Potato: Any issues with the '06 turn signal bulb or LED parking lights? Notice a member stating his amber turn bulb stays on constantly and the LED lighting not at all. A member stated he had to adjust some wiring. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2012, 12:46 AM
-Trav-

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My blinker stays on, although its not as dramatic as some make it out to be. The constant running light isnt as bright as the blinker itself. Im either going to snip a wire or cut/tape off the contacts of the blinker bulb.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:01 PM
maximariceboi

Sorry to bring this thread back up again... Having issues searching on here.. Which color wire needs to be snipped? Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: 350z 06 headlight upgrade walkthrough