Notices

DIY: 350z 06 headlight upgrade walkthrough

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 03:04 PM
Shawns'Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well at least I didn't revive this thread. Anyway I have an 04 base. I bought the 06+ depo headlights and I wasn't aware that it was completely different. So I have the shells but no ballasts, bulbs or igniters? is that all I need and where can I get the ballasts and igniters? If I cant get an answer I'll just ship them back and go a different route.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:02 AM
ozzy866

Default 6 pin

I drove down to Miami the other day and got a great deal on some 06 headlights with bulbs and ballasts.
I have read and searched the 05 to 06 conversion and pretty much know the deal. I was looking for the wire kits for sale from different vendors.
I was surprised to see the grey plug on the back of the 06 lights had a 6 pin in it already. I don't think I am missing anything.
So I think these will be plug n play.
Am I correct on this?
Oz
Attached Thumbnails DIY: 350z 06 headlight upgrade walkthrough-00v0v_j3gmaxjtg2u_600x450.jpg   DIY: 350z 06 headlight upgrade walkthrough-camerazoom-20150327135501575.jpg  
Old 04-13-2015, 07:01 PM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I did the conversion on ozzys car, from halogen to hids

Figure I will post the pin since I have not seen which wires were supposed to go where in this conversion. I've found which wires did which on each (6pin harness and 8 pin harness) but not which wires to connect to the 6 pin from the use to be 8 pin hid harness. So this is what I did

Pin 1-3 are the same color wire and serve the same purpose on both harnesses however for the following 3 I had to find which combos did the same thing for each harness which were pin 5&7 (halogen & hid) 6&5 (halogen &hid) and 4&6 (halogen & hid)

So to repin the hid to a 6 pin harness for factory halogens this is how we repinned it and everything worked perfectly, no constantly on turn signals, no flashing too quickly, it worked how a factory hid model works

Pin 1 - black (ground for low & high beams)( I used the black wore from the ballast for these)
Pin 2 - light green (positive for high beams)
Pin 3 - green w/ black stripe ( positive for turn signals)
Pin 4 - red ( positive for low beams)
Pin 5 - green w/ white stripe ( positive for prayers)
Pin 6 - black (ground for parkers and turn signals)( use the black wire that has already been soldered together that run from parkers and turns)

And there you go, that is the pin diagram when converting your 8 pin hids to a 6 pin harness for your car with halogens from factory. I have seen this question dozens of times and have not seen anyone take the time to show which wires go where. And I believe it won't matter which black wire you hook to which since they are both a ground, a ground is a ground. But to be perfectly correct I did it the way I posted.

Hope this helps some of you.

The blue wire can be capped tapped or w/e you prefer to do with it, it is not used.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:36 AM
ozzy866

Thank you FOOKhonda!!
This is a pic of the finished 06+ headlights
What a difference!!!!
Now I am looking for 06+ taillights.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: 350z 06 headlight upgrade walkthrough-car-new-lights.jpg  
Old 12-28-2015, 05:40 AM
KJFire4Life

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Yup, I'm bumping an old thread. This is not a question as much as it is a confirmation to my understanding of the many many many many threads posted on this subject. Very simply. I have an 03 350 with stock HID low beams and H7 high beams. I found a set of 06+ headlight Bi-xenon projector shells. IF I get them, I have two options....I cut a notch in the stock D2R bulbs that are in my 03 housing to fit the 06 housing or buy D2S bulbs that will fit right in etc....Now because these are shells, there are no ballasts or bulbs included. What I'm not making sense of is the high beam wiring. The flappers will work if wired correctly even with the OEM 03 HID bulbs correct? There are several posts that say that you lose high beams and several that say no it's PNP it'll all work. Since i have stock HID's I know my ballasts and bulbs will work (with notch modification for fitment) I'm just not sure on the high beam wiring. The high beam flapper solenoid is wired into the ONE headlight connector to my understanding. The only question I have is a simple one. Is the high beam solenoid wired into the 8 pin connector is it separate? I'm fairly well versed in electronics and can wire/solder/cut into anything. I just don't have a set of 06+ in my hand to compare to my 03's. I don't mean to start any arguments or fights. And I've read a lot, just confused with all the contradicitng information. I intend on making a true step-by-step wiring and install how-to for an 03 HID enthu to an 06+ bi-xenon headlight swap when I finish the project. I am VERY thorough and EXTREMELY OCD about my vehicles, if somethings not right, I won't drive the vehicle until I fix it. Thank you in advance for any help. Even if nobody answers this forum has been a huge help (even if the search function is kinda buggy at times lol)

-KJ
Old 12-28-2015, 11:13 AM
mcubed45

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KJFire4Life
Yup, I'm bumping an old thread. This is not a question as much as it is a confirmation to my understanding of the many many many many threads posted on this subject. Very simply. I have an 03 350 with stock HID low beams and H7 high beams. I found a set of 06+ headlight Bi-xenon projector shells. IF I get them, I have two options....I cut a notch in the stock D2R bulbs that are in my 03 housing to fit the 06 housing or buy D2S bulbs that will fit right in etc....Now because these are shells, there are no ballasts or bulbs included. What I'm not making sense of is the high beam wiring. The flappers will work if wired correctly even with the OEM 03 HID bulbs correct? There are several posts that say that you lose high beams and several that say no it's PNP it'll all work. Since i have stock HID's I know my ballasts and bulbs will work (with notch modification for fitment) I'm just not sure on the high beam wiring. The high beam flapper solenoid is wired into the ONE headlight connector to my understanding. The only question I have is a simple one. Is the high beam solenoid wired into the 8 pin connector is it separate? I'm fairly well versed in electronics and can wire/solder/cut into anything. I just don't have a set of 06+ in my hand to compare to my 03's. I don't mean to start any arguments or fights. And I've read a lot, just confused with all the contradicitng information. I intend on making a true step-by-step wiring and install how-to for an 03 HID enthu to an 06+ bi-xenon headlight swap when I finish the project. I am VERY thorough and EXTREMELY OCD about my vehicles, if somethings not right, I won't drive the vehicle until I fix it. Thank you in advance for any help. Even if nobody answers this forum has been a huge help (even if the search function is kinda buggy at times lol)

-KJ
When you say shell do you mean no wiring harness? There's a lot of conflicting information because this is a pretty rare scenario. Usually people are buying an 06-08 that includes the wiring harness but just no BALLAST/BULBS. The ballast are a direct swap. The bulbs are different (in addition to the primary hi/lo beam, the turn signal is also different). In that case it is a plug-and-play swap.

If your shell does NOT include a wiring harness you'll be doing quite a bit of modding to the harness from your 03-05. You'll have to cut off the hi beam socket and wire that to the solenoid in the 06-08. You'll also have to find sockets for the turn signals and replace those as well. Finally you'll have to wire in the 4LED amber lights in place of the existing bulb that illuminates the amber strip on the 03-05. Basically the only things you keep is the wiring to the HID ballast and the lower parking light.
The following users liked this post:
KJFire4Life (12-28-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 11:55 AM
KJFire4Life

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mcubed45
When you say shell do you mean no wiring harness? There's a lot of conflicting information because this is a pretty rare scenario. Usually people are buying an 06-08 that includes the wiring harness but just no BALLAST/BULBS. The ballast are a direct swap. The bulbs are different (in addition to the primary hi/lo beam, the turn signal is also different). In that case it is a plug-and-play swap.

If your shell does NOT include a wiring harness you'll be doing quite a bit of modding to the harness from your 03-05. You'll have to cut off the hi beam socket and wire that to the solenoid in the 06-08. You'll also have to find sockets for the turn signals and replace those as well. Finally you'll have to wire in the 4LED amber lights in place of the existing bulb that illuminates the amber strip on the 03-05. Basically the only things you keep is the wiring to the HID ballast and the lower parking light.

Okay, so if i get a set of lights that have all ballasts and bulbs....Mine are plug and play BECAUSE I have OEM low beam HID correct? The only time splicing and wiring harness's come into play are when the HID headlights are added to a HALOGEN base model Z right? For those of us with low beam HID and high beam halogen, the swap should be plug and play with the full assembly. As far as wiring in the shells. I would need to wire the high beam H7 bulb to the flapper solenoid, get sockets for different turn signal bulbs, and amber strip? There is no amber strip on my 03 enthusiast? Or you're talking about the amber strip on the 06+....gotcha. Another simple wiring job. Hardest part would be finding the sockets. Alright thank you for clearing that up for me. I really appreciate it!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:02 AM
Gunkata

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HID-Head...xWVyQM&vxp=mtr

are these legit/oem an do they plug in on an 03-05 with no issues? thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:53 AM
jcandas

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sluggoZ
I forgot to mention that it's a good idea to wear gloves when handling HID bulbs....somehow body oils effect the life of the bulb.
Getting oil on high temp bulbs will cause the glass to change, the oil does nothing to filaments. The glass may weaken or break easier, but shouldn't affect the lifespan short of breaking.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:02 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Ok bumping old thread cause I have a question I don't feel I fully understand the answer.

I currently have 05 HID with D2R ballasts and bulbs.

I can buy 06+ head units, buy new D2S bulbs. Plug them in with my 05 D2R ballast HID unit. And now run 06+ head units. The D2S will not have any problems running off of the 05 D2R HID ballasts? And will fit in the 06+ units with out clearance issue?

Or will the 05 OEM HID ballasts not connect or need modding to fit and work with D2S bulbs inside of 06+ headlight units??

Because Im about to order 06+ head lights, and buy D2S bulbs to plug into my 05 HID ballasts and run 06+ lights. Because they don't have the 05 HID D2R units I want... And the 06+ with the D2S is a better light unit and system anyways correct?

Am I missing something here? Will the 05 HID ballasts fit and power 06+ headlights and D2S bulbs? Or will I run into issues or need modifications?
Old 08-15-2016, 03:36 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

The only difference in the bulbs is the plastic base, so you're fine with the ballasts you have.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:45 PM
Diegodiaz10

Default hey bro this helped alot

Originally Posted by Raybrant
SOMEBODY is cranky...

How about you clarify your question and give some background information first before you throw your fit?

Start by telling us what you're trying to do. What I gathered from your previous posts (I had to piece things together...) is that you're putting 06+ headlights in your '04.

Now the things that make a difference is whether or not your vehicle is a base model. This is because the base model came with halogens and the harness is different (6 pin). The 06+ headlights are 8 pin and will bolt-on to anything that was factory equipped with HIDs. Just slap on the correct bulbs, cover and ballasts and you're all set (if you only got the housings). I recommend getting them as an assembly so you don't fry anything by mixing and matching new/old parts or incompatible parts.

However, if your car IS a base model it becomes more complicated. You will need to either cut the harness on your car to convert to 8 pin or cut the harness on your headlights to convert to 6 pin. You can find the connectors from dead Zs in the junkyard, on old/broken headlights or from other cars that share the same harness (I know Nissan Muranos use the same connectors). Do some searching on this forum for the wiring then cut and solder away.

just wondering I have a 03 base I cut the connectors on my harness and rewired the 06 plug to it when I connected it to the 06 light the parking lights,turning signal light work fine but they main one I need doesn't I checked all connections and there good as well un taped everything and I get the same thing nothing I also checked the hid bulds and there fine so idk what to do ?
Old 05-02-2017, 07:50 PM
Diegodiaz10

Default Really ? I tried

Originally Posted by jaaf
why did you change the bulbs? i just hooked up an 06 to my 04 and it all works fine without touching anything.. been working fine for 3 years now

Really i tried and all I get is the parking lights and turning signal lights to work can be the other things seen
Old 07-17-2017, 07:02 AM
moontune

I just did this upgrade from an 03 touring.. Plug and play.. the highbeam works fine with new d2s bulbs, you can hear the flipper flapper working.. Now I just need to get some new turn signal bulbs and get my bumper back on, will have some pics up soon.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:03 AM
moontune

btw, the updated headlights look WAY better than those weak little 03' projectors.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:32 AM
msk59

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How come I can't see any pictures in the original OP thread? Also I cannot zoom in on the pictures?