Notices

380RS pedal install

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 04:13 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
Anyone know how easy it is to get the rubber out of the stock pedals? It'd be nice if the clutch and brake matched the gas pedal.
I know what you mean, but if you live/drive in a climate where it's ever wet, that'd be a nightmare
Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Originally Posted by dkmesa350z
Can't believe you made a writeup for this on a z already equipped with aluminum pedals lol. My swap took 13 seconds including 9 seconds to figure out the clip holding the pedal on.
That's ok, i can't believe you just complained someone made a writeup

This proves the point that it *is* very quick and *simple* - It's also irrelevant if the Z already has aluminium pedals, this isn't used for that reason, it's to aid heal & toe down-shifts, which i missed since moving to the states :/
Old 05-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
I know what you mean, but if you live/drive in a climate where it's ever wet, that'd be a nightmare
Wet? What's that... We get rain for like 1 month out of the year. When it does rain here, I'm not trying to drive unless I HAVE to. Our storms are pretty gnarly.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:40 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Heh, sweet
Old 05-17-2012, 05:10 PM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Even with the factory aluminum pedals i had issues here in SW Florida with slipping off the brake pedal with wet shoes.

Stepped up the game a bit and went with SRP pedals. Great grid pattern gives me no slip with wet feet.

What I have is their normal width gas pedal (they offer an even wider version). You have to drill / bolt the pedals once removing the oem factory covers, which allowed me to shift the brake pedal to the right a bit.

Heel toe downshifting is now effortless, easily the best sub $200 mod i've done to the car.

Last edited by ian99rt; 05-17-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Z3305

Thanks for the post, Maxx, it's always nice to see a visual for stuff like this. I just bought mine off ebay from Fontana Nissan, $36 shipped and they sent it the day I ordered it (Z1 doesn't stock them anymore because they didn't sell any.)
Looking forward to better H&T feeling on track.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:41 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Yeah, tbh i wasn't convinced of how much it would help, based on comparing the pedals, but they got it just right, it's so easy to heal n toe now
Old 10-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Azzerare

I used to work at the smyrna, tn plant building the altima, altima coupe and maxima and all of their pedals are installed/uninstalled in the same manner- I assumed the Z was the same but the confirmation is nice

What I'm excited about is the part itself- I didn't know it existed but now I'm going to be dreaming all week about the beneficial feel of this pedal... so glad i stumbled across this thread. I didn't hesitate to order one of my own. Thanks for the post, OP!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed mine.

This thread was very helpful, even if it was simple, it kept me from doing a lot of head scratching about how to do it. Made it quick and easy. Installed in under 30 seconds probably.

Thanks for taking the time.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:50 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

You're welcome, and yes, it's not that it's hard, but knowing what you're doing into, especially with something under the dash, this kind of thing makes it much faster/easier.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:08 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I have an 08 base with the rubber pedals, is it the same steps for me or do I need to do something different? I think it might look weird with 1 metal pedal but I feel it could help at the track.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

The pedal will really help for heal and toe, i had my doubts comparing them side by side, but after using it, it's perfect, exactly what it needed.

As for the plastic pedals, hmm, i think i read somewhere that it's missing the little plastic bit to secure it, try a quick search or look on one of the vendors sites, i think they have a description.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:29 AM
SQuaLZ

The pedal will really help for heal and toe, i had my doubts comparing them side by side, but after using it, it's perfect, exactly what it needed.

As for the plastic pedals, hmm, i think i read somewhere that it's missing the little plastic bit to secure it, try a quick search or look on one of the vendors sites, i think they have a description.
Thanks for your help. After some research I concluded I am not going to do it. Apparantly the entire gas pedal assembly is different on the base (I do not know why) so I would need to modify for the pedal to fit correctly, which I am not going to risk on something important like the gas pedal. It's a shame because I would love to use this pedal.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:54 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
Thanks for your help. After some research I concluded I am not going to do it. Apparantly the entire gas pedal assembly is different on the base (I do not know why) so I would need to modify for the pedal to fit correctly, which I am not going to risk on something important like the gas pedal. It's a shame because I would love to use this pedal.
Do the upgrade your trim mod and get a track model.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:06 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Yes, that's what i'm referring to.

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...or&prodid=3669

There is the option to order the extra part, it's not a modification per sé, just a different part you add back.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:41 AM
SQuaLZ

Yes, that's what i'm referring to.

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...or&prodid=3669

There is the option to order the extra part, it's not a modification per sé, just a different part you add back.
I know exactly what you are saying, I need an extra part. However, after reading some older threads apparantly the assembly thickness is different on the base, so even with the correct parts installed, the pedal has play and does move a certain amount, which scares me. I wish someone can confirm who has a base. If its good the. i will definitely order from them, thanks again for the info!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:53 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Heel and toe braking here we come.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:56 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I know exactly what you are saying, I need an extra part. However, after reading some older threads apparantly the assembly thickness is different on the base, so even with the correct parts installed, the pedal has play and does move a certain amount, which scares me. I wish someone can confirm who has a base. If its good the. i will definitely order from them, thanks again for the info!
The throttle shaft diameter is just a little too small, so the pedal has some allowance for lateral movement. Just wrap that area of the shaft with a few turns of black electrical tape (which you can't see, anyway), and you're fine. Did this on my '08 base when I installed the RS pedal. This pic shows the difference in the metal versus plastic pedals in that area:

Old 03-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
The throttle shaft diameter is just a little too small, so the pedal has some allowance for lateral movement. Just wrap that area of the shaft with a few turns of black electrical tape (which you can't see, anyway), and you're fine. Did this on my '08 base when I installed the RS pedal. This pic shows the difference in the metal versus plastic pedals in that area:

Thanks for this. Ordered the Bushings, JDM pedal and other pedals + deadpedal,.. Found the shaft diameter was a touch small.. 2-3 wraps of electrical tape in the proper spot made it a perfect fit.

End result in a 2008 350Z Base model:

Old:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/111739693@N04/13128131405/
New Pedals + JDM:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/111739693@N04/13128183183/

Huge improvement in looks,.. but is highly functional as well. Better grip, better "feel",. and heel toe on down shifts is much easier.

Thanks for the info!
Old 05-22-2015, 05:06 PM
Pirelli4906

Thank you! This helped me do mine too!!!! Great write up!