Notices

DIY Vip Wood Trunk Setup

Old 09-16-2014, 05:24 PM
drtrey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking DIY Vip Wood Trunk Setup

Hi so i decided to change up my trunk in my z after going to a stance nation meet and seeing a fellow z owners vipd out 350z @ohnocheekz_z33hr

I did all this on my own and thought id write a diy for anyone else wanting to do this mod. and any feedback on my setup.

Supplies i used:

Home Depot Santos Mahogany Wood
Wood Glue
Rocksford Fosgate sub 10"
3m tape
antiques rope for finishing touch
wood board from home depot for the base and sub box
jigsaw

Step 1

cleared everything from the trunk
Step 2

Placed the trunk liner on the ground
then attached all the wood together to cover trunk liner and traced it right onto the wood.
I then used the jigsaw to cut the wood to the right size.

Step 3

I used the 3 middle pieces of the wood i cut and glued them onto the custom box i made to fit the sub

The box dimension were 18x14x6 inches

I then cut a hold to fit the sub and drilled it in after connecting some speaker wire.

Tested the sub and it hits hard in the little box.

Step 4

i don't have pics of this part but i cut the perimeter of the trunk liner in wood and used 3m to hold it down in my trunk so then i could lay all the wood on top of the board to make the trunk more sturdy.

Step 5

I used 3m to attach the santos mahogany wood to the board in step 4 so that i could easily remove the trunk setup if i needed too. You could use wood glue for a permanent setup.

Don't mid the z strut bar. it looks like $hit I'm ordering rainbow flake paint and redoing it.

Step 6

used wood glue to attach the antique rope to the perimeter
The finished product is a vip looking trunk setup. just need a vip table and ad my iPad to the trunk.

If anyone wants to do this and located in socal i have extra santos mahogany wood for you.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:58 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Nice work, I suppose, but it looks like something which belongs in a truck or boat, rather than in a Z.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:18 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,043 Likes on 6,509 Posts

cant see the pics at work... will look later (this is to remind me)
Old 09-17-2014, 03:09 PM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

looks good. i am thinking about adding a sub to my trunk wood setup as well. Just need to figure out relocation of the compressors first.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:15 AM
ryanmackk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not gonna argue, classy as ****, but makes it a Boat 350z. Also makes trunk kinda...useless no?
Old 12-26-2014, 11:51 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Nice work, now you can't stop, needs suede interior with quilted panels, polished, or chrome trim.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:03 PM
che69velle

Get the strut bar hydrographiced the same wood, wire an led strip too the sub and hide it under the strut bar.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:56 PM
ALO8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics of rest of car??
Old 06-03-2015, 03:37 PM
oPekk

Originally Posted by drtrey
Hi so i decided to change up my trunk in my z after going to a stance nation meet and seeing a fellow z owners vipd out 350z @ohnocheekz_z33hr

I did all this on my own and thought id write a diy for anyone else wanting to do this mod. and any feedback on my setup.

Supplies i used:

Home Depot Santos Mahogany Wood
Wood Glue
Rocksford Fosgate sub 10"
3m tape
antiques rope for finishing touch
wood board from home depot for the base and sub box
jigsaw

Step 1

cleared everything from the trunk
Step 2

Placed the trunk liner on the ground
then attached all the wood together to cover trunk liner and traced it right onto the wood.
I then used the jigsaw to cut the wood to the right size.

Step 3

I used the 3 middle pieces of the wood i cut and glued them onto the custom box i made to fit the sub

The box dimension were 18x14x6 inches

I then cut a hold to fit the sub and drilled it in after connecting some speaker wire.

Tested the sub and it hits hard in the little box.

Step 4

i don't have pics of this part but i cut the perimeter of the trunk liner in wood and used 3m to hold it down in my trunk so then i could lay all the wood on top of the board to make the trunk more sturdy.

Step 5

I used 3m to attach the santos mahogany wood to the board in step 4 so that i could easily remove the trunk setup if i needed too. You could use wood glue for a permanent setup.

Don't mid the z strut bar. it looks like $hit I'm ordering rainbow flake paint and redoing it.

Step 6

used wood glue to attach the antique rope to the perimeter
The finished product is a vip looking trunk setup. just need a vip table and ad my iPad to the trunk.

If anyone wants to do this and located in socal i have extra santos mahogany wood for you.
I would love to do this to my Z but idk how exactly you got the wood to stick all together, are you available to raise the whole thing or is it peace by peace. not sure if you can post more pics of whats under the wood..

sorry i just dont get how youll have it all together that nice
Old 09-02-2015, 01:46 PM
UZ_

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oPekk
I would love to do this to my Z but idk how exactly you got the wood to stick all together, are you available to raise the whole thing or is it peace by peace. not sure if you can post more pics of whats under the wood..

sorry i just dont get how youll have it all together that nice
The planks are all seperate but they basically lock into place by sliding into one another. That isn't real hardwood obviously it's the fake stuff you can get at home depot. The cool thing about it is it's cheap, looks good enough, is very easy to work with, and can take some abuse from water unlike real wood.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:34 AM
DaytonaBlueZ33

Looks awesome and I am totally taking a swing at this soon, few questions for you. Firstly what did you do about the part of the wood that goes in front of the strut bar closest to the seats? I was thinking about hinging it but I am curious to know what you route was to get that in there because obviously it cant just slide in being it is too wide to fit through the strub bar side braces. Also what did you use to cut the materials? Thanks, hope to hear from you soon!