Notices

Removing Exterior Roof/Door Trim

Old 03-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Powerline

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing Exterior Roof/Door Trim

I suppose first I will introduce myself, my name is Chris, I'm the IT director here at Powerline Auto Recyclers in Missouri. We specialize in used 350Z, 300ZX, 240SX, Miata parts and some others.

Today I am actually here to show everybody how to *properly* remove your exterior roof trim pieces. I would like to provide some handy tutorials for the 350Z community, as we specialize in these vehicles and we can definitely help you all answer any questions about dismantling them... We are dismantling one at this moment, we have a 40K Nismo edition outside waiting to be dismantled, we do them a lot.

I searched this topic a while back and the only tutorial I have found that is good is actually completely wrong, if you follow it, you will break your trim pieces....

So here we go...

This is the piece in question, it runs from below the fender in front of the door to the top of the B pillar behind the door.

Roof trim, above door.

The first step is to remove the B-pillar trim cover, start at the top. There are 3 clips, get a flat head screwdriver and insert it below the panel and gently pry the panel out (pushing screwdriver towards interior). Get the screwdriver as close to each clip to minimize force on the plastic tabs.

Gently pry B pillar trim with flathead.

You can see I was not careful enough and if you look at the center tab, it cracked. This is because my screwdriver was not close enough to it. For the last tab, you can simply slide the panel down and it will come off.

Notice the tabs are open, allowing the panel to slide downwards and off the clip.

Behind the B pillar trim, you will be greeted by a Phillips screw. Remove it and don't lose it.

Remove screw behind pillar trim panel.

Next we need to remove the trim panel from the door jamb. This piece simply snaps right out, grab ahold of either end and gently pull it from its four clips.

This piece clips right off (and on.)

Here is where we part ways with other tutorials on this topic and hopefully people will read this before doing it another way. The rubber trim behind that door trim piece we just removed needs to come out. Don't worry, it's not glued or anything, it sits on a lip and is easily put back in.

Remove rubber door seal.

With that rubber seal out of the way, we can pull back the upper rubber seal to reveal... drumroll... A row of Philips screws that mount this exterior trim panel!

Failing to remove these screws (and being very careful for the rest of this tutorial) is the perfect way to pull the mounting lip clean off of your trim pieces.

Remove all of these screws and the plastic tab in the center.

Want to break your trim? Leave these screws in.

Leaving in this clip will also break your trim.

Once all the screws and clips are in, you can remove this silver bracket.

This piece secures the roof trim to the vehicle.

Next we need to pop out the little clips from the upper rubber seal, you can do this with a flathead and your finger, just pull them straight out.

There are three in the rear.

And two in the front.

Now comes the part to be extremely careful.. Put your flathead underneath the trim panel and gently feel around for the first clip, get your screwdriver next to it and gently pry up until the first one pops out.

BE CAREFUL!

Once all the clips have been popped up, the last thing to do is to pull the trim piece towards the back of the vehicle and off of the last mounting point.

Slide the trim off this mount, DO NOT LIFT IT OFF.

Told you.

There you have it... There's a couple of small parts of the upper rubber seal that you will have to pull off of the vehicle (as the rest of it is sealed to the trim piece.

One RH passenger roof trim panel.... For sale.

And here is the lip on back that we are trying not to break.

You can see the upper rubber seal is actually apart of this trim piece.

If you wanted to remove the trim without the upper door seal, it's possible, but be aware, you will have to rip your door seal. Before you remove the silver bracket, tear the rubber seal out of the door. This will tear it off of the trim panel and the screws will not allow it to break the mounting lip.....

TRYING TO REMOVE THE RUBBER SEAL FROM THE TRIM OFF OF THE VEHICLE WILL BREAK THE MOUNTING LIP.

Enjoy and have fun.
The following users liked this post:
PD27 (07-25-2018)
Old 03-26-2015, 05:24 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerline
I suppose first I will introduce myself, my name is Chris, I'm the IT director here at Powerline Auto Recyclers in Missouri. We specialize in used 350Z, 300ZX, 240SX, Miata parts and some others.

Today I am actually here to show everybody how to *properly* remove your exterior roof trim pieces. I would like to provide some handy tutorials for the 350Z community, as we specialize in these vehicles and we can definitely help you all answer any questions about dismantling them... We are dismantling one at this moment, we have a 40K Nismo edition outside waiting to be dismantled, we do them a lot.

<Clipped>

Enjoy and have fun.
Great tutorial. Hope I never have to do this but great tutorial.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Powerline

Thank you, it's actually pretty easy. It takes about 30 minutes to get off if you're extremely cautious. Putting it back on... Everything except the screws just snaps into position, then put the silver bracket and screws back in.

Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Powerline

Made it into a video for anybody who doesn't like reading.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:05 PM
Shiffter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you remove the plastic clip in the center of the metal bar with out breaking it
Old 03-25-2017, 07:15 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Its not easy getting that bad boy off without breaking something, sucks that they cost $400 new..

Nice write up
Old 03-25-2017, 08:59 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

You're spoiling the noobs here with that video. Thanks for a very informative thread I hope not to use...
Old 07-25-2018, 01:14 PM
PD27

thanks!