Notices

DIY shift knob...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 04:35 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts
Default DIY shift ****...

Ok so I realize most people will not have all this stuff but you can used the info to make anything you want into a knobby and I figured I would stop blowing up the official shift **** thread so with that intro here we go...

Step one decide you want to make your own shift ****... Come up with an idea and go with it.

You will need an idea a drill some glue and some nuts also might need to be a little nuts.

I started with getting some 10x1.25 flange nuts and the matching bolt to go with it. You can find this at the home dumpster for about 72 pennies

If you dont have a manual 350z I dont know what size you need... Will need to figure that out on your own.

Then figure out what you want to use for your ****... Im going to make a bunch of different ones. Some wood some acrylic... You need to drill a hole. (5/8ths inch) If you want the flange to sit on the outside you wont need the big bit, if you want the nut countersunk you will need to use 2 bits... 5/8ths and bigger then 5/8ths

If you have a drill press and some nice forstner bits that would be ideal... If you just have a drill and some garbage erwin bits just try to make your holes straight.

So you drill your hole and then you gotta glue that nut into the hole... I tried using silicone and it was a great failure... Im now using original gorilla glue, I also got gorilla epoxy... They should both do the trick. ( they dont both do the trick... Use gorilla epoxy, much stronger)

Also making one with some scrap pieces I had to glue together... For that you glue the wood together and clamp like you normally would..

Ok at this point I might have lost you so if you just have a big plastic ***** you should have got it figured out by now. Drill hole in ***** glue in nut put in car... If your still with me we will continue...

Last edited by dboyzalter; 11-15-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:48 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

So now that we have our nuts installed what are we going to do with this mess...

Gotta set up the mini for **** detail, if you have one you probably can figure it out... But this is how mine looks for starting the project.

I got a few different bolts for the different offsets of the nuts, had to use a piece of 1/4 inch plywood with a large hole drilled in it. (For the bolt head to fit into) then a piece of hardwood with a hole the exact size of the bolt. The hole needs to be damn near perfectly centered in the backer plate.

I managed to get a centered hole by using the drill bit mounted on a screwdriver handle and just turned on the lathe mark the center with a pencil then hold the bit to the wood drilling the hole.. (probably confusing if you have never used a lathe)

Spin your project make it look the way you want.. Sand stain poly whatever make it look as good as you can... Be impressed with yourself for making something..

Yes I know my interior isn't mint

Last edited by dboyzalter; 11-15-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:56 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

in for finished result
Old 11-11-2015, 07:11 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Standingby
Old 11-11-2015, 07:17 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
So now that we have our nuts installed what are we going to do with this mess...

Gotta set up the mini for **** detail, if you have one you probably can figure it out... But this is how mine looks for starting the project.

I got a few different bolts for the different offsets of the nuts, had to use a piece of 1/4 inch plywood with a large hole drilled in it. (For the bolt head to fit into) then a piece of hardwood with a hole the exact size of the bolt. The hole needs to be damn near perfectly centered in the backer plate.

I managed to get a centered hole by using the drill bit mounted on a screwdriver handle and just turned on the lathe mark the center with a pencil then hold the bit to the wood drilling the hole.. (probably confusing if you have never used a lathe)

Ok that's as far as im at for now... Wish me luck.
So whatcher saying is you got wood to shift by yourself?

Good luck, DBA, looks interesting. Although after debating debating debating.... I find NOTHING appeals to me like the stock unit (and now that it's completed with the metal shift pattern insert, it's PERFECT for me!!)
Old 11-12-2015, 11:51 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by MicVelo
So whatcher saying is you got wood to shift by yourself?

Good luck, DBA, looks interesting. Although after debating debating debating.... I find NOTHING appeals to me like the stock unit (and now that it's completed with the metal shift pattern insert, it's PERFECT for me!!)

Awwww come on this first round has your name all over them... They are going to be small cylinder type ***** perfect for little hands...

I was going to ship them to California so you could write up a proper review and everything...

Can't send one to Trav he needs some special American nuts.

I do have a bunch of ideas hopefully I'll stay motivated to finish them all... They are not all wood... But this is the first round and a bit of an experimental phase.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:54 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

I'm definitely interested too

I also agree the stock shifter is great. It has a good weight and feel, I want to change it up but not sure how I feel about a non-weighted
Old 11-12-2015, 02:43 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Ok so the gorilla glue on the acrylic didnt work out so great. Broke off rather quickly on the lathe.

The wood is working but also came out after a bit.. Guess I need to use the other side support until its at least rounded... Still working but here is whats going down.

Hopefully the cherry one will work out.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:14 PM
MatthewBouchard

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Ok at this point I might have lost you so if you just have a big plastic ***** you should have got it figured out by now. Drill hole in ***** glue in nut put in car... If your still with me we will continue...
Maybe My gf will stop complaining that I spend more money on the z than her .

In for finished product.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:29 PM
HRMoneyPit

This looks fun
Old 11-12-2015, 04:08 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Ok first try has finished in no great success. The nuts are not appreciating the shock of a chisel turning a square into a cylinder... Going to regroup next week and try a new glue..

And hopefully that will actually hold...

My belt sander burnt the **** out of the tip but here is what I managed to get out of my first attempt.

Go easy on me I haven't touched the lathe in 6+ years... Ill give it another shot next week with the epoxy.

Last edited by dboyzalter; 11-15-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:18 PM
HRMoneyPit

So what do you put on them to make them nice and shinny?
Old 11-12-2015, 05:32 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
So what do you put on them to make them nice and shinny?
It needs a bunch of layers of polyurethane and a lot of sanding before it will be shinny... Here is a cup and a oil lamp I made years ago that actually got finished.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:44 PM
travlee
Master

Awwww come on this first round has your name all over them... They are going to be small cylinder type ***** perfect for little hands...

I was going to ship them to California so you could write up a proper review and everything...

Can't send one to Trav he needs some special American nuts.

I do have a bunch of ideas hopefully I'll stay motivated to finish them all... They are not all wood... But this is the first round and a bit of an experimental phase.
i got some.. never mind. the shift **** in the vette i love, its kind of offset, to the right where the bulk of it is in your palm. i think it is a great design
Old 11-12-2015, 05:58 PM
HRMoneyPit

Picture?
Old 11-12-2015, 05:59 PM
travlee
Master

you want a picture of my ****.... dirty boy!
Old 11-12-2015, 06:12 PM
travlee
Master

tried to pm not to hijack thread, but it wouldn't let me

Old 11-13-2015, 04:00 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Well **** im just going to get a corvette **** and glue the nut into the bottom.

No worries im like a teenage girl just all gitty my post has traffic.

I have an idea for a concrete **** using the countertop mix but I don't have all the stuff I would need to polish it...

Also have an idea of wrapping one in parachute cord... Gotta make something that doesn't fall apart first though.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:39 AM
HRMoneyPit

That **** is ugly lol

But it feels nice though
Old 11-13-2015, 04:46 AM
travlee
Master

yeah not the prettiest thing in the world, but we have all done worse.... now back to the ****, yeah it is very comfortable and natural feeling in my hand

Quick Reply: DIY shift knob...