Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 10:18 PM
gt3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear you got the setup fixed.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:38 AM
user 7490

I think I read that the 06 Z's are going to have this from the factory, so I believe that the parts specific for our cars will be easier to get now, instead of raping FX models.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:31 PM
SunsetZ33

Nice detailed, easy to follow write-up, Thanks.
The exact connector pins are readily available in the junk yard. I found the same pins in several connectors under the dash in a toyota pickup. The steering wheel looks better with this mod, it always looked uneven with the cruise control buttons on the right side and a blank aluminum plate on the left.
I love it, Here's mine.
Anybody used the 06 Z audio controls and made the backlight in them work on an 03-05?
Attached Thumbnails DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install-zwheelaudio.jpg  

Last edited by SunsetZ33; 11-05-2005 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:47 PM
SS350Z

I know that I saw a z, it was probably a 2006 with the audio switches. Is it now going to be easier to just change them out, or will it still be this difficult. I just don't have the time to put in unless it is a couple hour job or less.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:00 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by SS350Z
I know that I saw a z, it was probably a 2006 with the audio switches. Is it now going to be easier to just change them out, or will it still be this difficult. I just don't have the time to put in unless it is a couple hour job or less.
Unless you have a 06 already with the switches, I believe the process is still the same as the car may not have the wiring connecting the steering wheel to the radio. If you have a 06 model with the switches, then all you need is the swi-x unit to connect your aftermarket headunit to the steering wheel controls.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:05 PM
koolzero

Anyone know if an 06 bose radio work in an 03? I would like to add the audio controls but keep my bose head unit so the audio from the nav will still work... If I remember right I believe they've changed the way the radio looks in the 06s...
Old 04-17-2006, 09:42 PM
oldbutfast

New to the forum just got a 06 base model, down loaded the service manual. I like your style I have been checking out the wiring found base model has connections for the ADSC brake and ADSC clutch switch, although it is missing the bracket for the clutch switch. I'm gonna look tomorrow to see if the audio wiring and cruise control wiring go to the spiral cable next step is to see if I need to up date the ECM to get cruse control cruse control to work. Dealer has a enthusiast model coming in Ill look the Vin # to see what the ECM cal code is. Like you said theres no reason a car manufacturer gonna make 5 different versions of the same part IE wiring harness main. although there maybe so sub harness I need.Then its off to the parts house and order the switch's for brake,clutch,audio cruise control switch's and covers.Thanks for the nice wright up ya got me going on this project.Last project car was a 84 corvette that I built using the 85 tuned port fuel injection and 85 ecm and 85 engine wiring harness. married all into the 84 dash. to my surprise every thing worked out.
Please no comments about my writing skills either .
Old 04-17-2006, 11:38 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by oldbutfast
New to the forum just got a 06 base model, down loaded the service manual. I like your style I have been checking out the wiring found base model has connections for the ADSC brake and ADSC clutch switch, although it is missing the bracket for the clutch switch. I'm gonna look tomorrow to see if the audio wiring and cruise control wiring go to the spiral cable next step is to see if I need to up date the ECM to get cruse control cruse control to work. Dealer has a enthusiast model coming in Ill look the Vin # to see what the ECM cal code is. Like you said theres no reason a car manufacturer gonna make 5 different versions of the same part IE wiring harness main. although there maybe so sub harness I need.Then its off to the parts house and order the switch's for brake,clutch,audio cruise control switch's and covers.Thanks for the nice wright up ya got me going on this project.Last project car was a 84 corvette that I built using the 85 tuned port fuel injection and 85 ecm and 85 engine wiring harness. married all into the 84 dash. to my surprise every thing worked out.
Please no comments about my writing skills either .
Thanks for your comments and input. We can definitely use an update for the 06 models. Good luck and let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:41 PM
oldbutfast

I was right the wires are in the main harness and there plugged in to the spiral cable, did not pull the base radio to see if connected there but I'm sure there plugged in there as they show in schematic/ base ,both the base and the enthusiast 06 350 z service manual.
So I ran down to the dealer to order the audio steering switch it did not show up on their parts list they needed to call on that one. ordered the ascd steering switch for cruise control,ascd brake switch,ascd clutch switch. Their checking see if switch comes with cover or not .
Had to laugh she first told me I had a base model and didn't want to order switch for a enthusiast. I told her my dog got in my Buddy's car and chewed his steering wheel up so needed to replace his lol. I'll keep ya posted when all my parts get in and the smoke settles from under my dash.

Last edited by oldbutfast; 04-18-2006 at 05:51 PM. Reason: extra word in sentence
Old 04-29-2006, 07:39 PM
oldbutfast

Installed steering wheel switch ( 25550-CF40A ) 06 350Z part ,replaced air bag bolts as per service manual (87850-89900) 06 350Z part , ADSC brake switch (25300-AT300) 06 350Z part as per manual , ASCD clutch switch (25300-62J00) 06 350Z part. This was in a base model 06 350Z all the audio controls work , no codes in computer as do the lights in steering wheel when lights are on. Cruise control dose not work as I figured it would not but no check engine light came on . Waiting on diagnostic tool I have yet to order and still researching the cruse control.The steering wheel switch dose match the blanks so you could just remove the cruse control side and just have audio controls as they work fine. I'm not removing them still searching for what the system needs for cruise. so far on researching system the ecm is a possibility or even just a ecm flash. they use Vin # to indicate what version ecm and flash is needed,also have not checked all the parts in system that are model specific. Hope this is some help for people who just want audio on steering wheel it dose match the blank ones that come on base model. I will report back when I find the way to get cruise control working.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:07 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cruise control

The parts manual for 2003 lists cruise control modules - in fact several, based on when manufactuered. For example, for 2003, part numbers 23710-CD100, 101, and 103 are listed. So at least, you have to have this module. Listed as Number 12 in this picture.
Attached Thumbnails DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install-crusie-module-number-12.jpg  
Old 04-30-2006, 03:23 PM
oldbutfast

Thank you but 05 and 006 are flyby-wire throttle and cruise control
Old 06-14-2006, 02:41 PM
markoware

Originally Posted by SunsetZ33
Nice detailed, easy to follow write-up, Thanks.
The exact connector pins are readily available in the junk yard. I found the same pins in several connectors under the dash in a toyota pickup. The steering wheel looks better with this mod, it always looked uneven with the cruise control buttons on the right side and a blank aluminum plate on the left.
I love it, Here's mine.
Anybody used the 06 Z audio controls and made the backlight in them work on an 03-05?
I ended up using the pins from an old alarm harness I never used, and they worked fine, too.

I installed the 06 Z audio controls in my 05 and used the SWI-X. I was able to get the lighting to work, and the cruise works fine (interestingly, the cancel and on/off buttons are swapped on the 06, but they work as labeled...I never liked how the original controls were layed out).

I used the lighting wires (there are 2, one supplies power and one controls the ground resistance for the dim level) at the VDC off switch. If someone had a base model, then I think the radio would be the easiest secondary place to get to tap the 2 lighting wires.

Now, the one issue I ran into is that the 05 spiral cable has 7 pins, whereas the 06 controls have 8 wires (the plug is the same, it is just short a pin). With the SWI-X, one wire from the steering switch must be grounded, so I grounded it to a screw in the steering wheel. I noticed the steering wheel tested as a really bad ground, so it does not surprise me that my SWI-X is a bit inconsistent in operating right now. I ordered the 2006 spiral cable on Monday ($30 from the dealer), which I assume will have 8 pins instead of the 7 I have now, so I can run the ground through the spiral cable and ground it properly in the dash. I hope that is my issue, at least.

Either way, the 06 controls look nice with the lighting.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:44 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by markoware
I ended up using the pins from an old alarm harness I never used, and they worked fine, too.

I installed the 06 Z audio controls in my 05 and used the SWI-X. I was able to get the lighting to work, and the cruise works fine (interestingly, the cancel and on/off buttons are swapped on the 06, but they work as labeled...I never liked how the original controls were layed out).

I used the lighting wires (there are 2, one supplies power and one controls the ground resistance for the dim level) at the VDC off switch. If someone had a base model, then I think the radio would be the easiest secondary place to get to tap the 2 lighting wires.

Now, the one issue I ran into is that the 05 spiral cable has 7 pins, whereas the 06 controls have 8 wires (the plug is the same, it is just short a pin). With the SWI-X, one wire from the steering switch must be grounded, so I grounded it to a screw in the steering wheel. I noticed the steering wheel tested as a really bad ground, so it does not surprise me that my SWI-X is a bit inconsistent in operating right now. I ordered the 2006 spiral cable on Monday ($30 from the dealer), which I assume will have 8 pins instead of the 7 I have now, so I can run the ground through the spiral cable and ground it properly in the dash. I hope that is my issue, at least.

Either way, the 06 controls look nice with the lighting.
Thanks for the update. I hope the 06 spiral cable will have 8 pins...I would like lighted steering controls as well.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:26 PM
markoware

Originally Posted by gt3
Thanks for the update. I hope the 06 spiral cable will have 8 pins...I would like lighted steering controls as well.
The spiral cable arrived, and it does indeed have 8 pins. I will not get to install it until later in the week or this weekend, but I will be shocked if it is not identical to the '05 except for the extra pin. I have my fingers crossed.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:59 PM
james840a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you get them swaped out, can you test your old one to see if it has 7 wires or 8 wires. I have a project coming up to add to my steering wheel (Paddle shifter) and need to know how many wires are in the spiral cable 05

Thanks for testing
Old 06-20-2006, 04:53 AM
markoware

Originally Posted by james840a
When you get them swaped out, can you test your old one to see if it has 7 wires or 8 wires. I have a project coming up to add to my steering wheel (Paddle shifter) and need to know how many wires are in the spiral cable 05

Thanks for testing
The 2006 and 2005 (I think 2004 and 2003 as well) spiral cable all have the same harness plug.
The 2006 has 8 pins.
The 2005 has 7 pins.
The 2006 cruise/audio/horn steering wheel controls use all 8 pins.
The 2005 cruise/horn steering wheel controls use 3 out of the 7 pins.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just installed a kenwood ddx7017 into my 06, anyone ever installed the Pac Swix into an 06? Basically the same procedure?
Old 06-23-2006, 08:38 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by Voboy
Just installed a kenwood ddx7017 into my 06, anyone ever installed the Pac Swix into an 06? Basically the same procedure?
You can use the SWI-X. However, on the newer model Kenwood HUs, there is a dedicated steering remote input wire (light blue/yellow) so you can use the Pac Audio SWI-ALP module for a direct connection rather than an IR one. Hope this helps!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3
You can use the SWI-X. However, on the newer model Kenwood HUs, there is a dedicated steering remote input wire (light blue/yellow) so you can use the Pac Audio SWI-ALP module for a direct connection rather than an IR one. Hope this helps!!!
Yes that does help! I saw that wire and was wondering if I coulda just found a nissan wire I could splice but apparently not. I'm glad I don't have to do the IR though! Has anyone done this install?

Last edited by Voboy; 06-26-2006 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install