Notices

DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Sponge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As asked in several differnet forms, I will ask again...

Can you drop an 06' Bose HU in a 04' with a Bose HU, buy the 06' switches and whatever additional 06' hardware, and get a fully functional steering wheel with cruise control AND audio control?

The answer has been danced around but not definitively answered.. or maybe I've just picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue
Old 08-20-2006, 06:33 AM
gt3

Originally Posted by Sponge
As asked in several differnet forms, I will ask again...

Can you drop an 06' Bose HU in a 04' with a Bose HU, buy the 06' switches and whatever additional 06' hardware, and get a fully functional steering wheel with cruise control AND audio control?

The answer has been danced around but not definitively answered.. or maybe I've just picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue
I believe so, but you may have to run a few wires from the back of the steering wheel to the headunit. Also you may need to get a new spiral cable as the older ones only has 7 instead of 8 cables. This haven't been done simply because 06 HUs don't fit well into the 03-05 consoles due to the redesign in shape.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:22 PM
geomark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am trying to figure out if I can install the audio controls in an 05 with the bose system. Can someone tell me if this is possible and if I will need the PAC swi-x in this setup?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:44 PM
LastODJedi
§ith Mã§t€®

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So here is my question...

I want a steering wheel from an Infiniti M. It has the charcoal perforated leather that matches my seats. After reading through this, I think it is possible to order the wheel and swap it only and put all of my Z parts onto it. What do you guys think???
Old 09-25-2006, 05:15 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by geomark
I am trying to figure out if I can install the audio controls in an 05 with the bose system. Can someone tell me if this is possible and if I will need the PAC swi-x in this setup?
I think only 06 and on models have steering wheel audio controls. I don't think 03-05 models have the wiring necessary.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:18 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by LastODJedi
So here is my question...

I want a steering wheel from an Infiniti M. It has the charcoal perforated leather that matches my seats. After reading through this, I think it is possible to order the wheel and swap it only and put all of my Z parts onto it. What do you guys think???
It is possible. However, if you have cruise control, make sure the Infiniti wheel does have extra buttons (e.g. back up camera button on the FX models) because that would mess up the signaling of cruise control unit.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:32 PM
z350boy
Banned

Originally Posted by gt3
I think only 06 and on models have steering wheel audio controls. I don't think 03-05 models have the wiring necessary.

I beg to differ!! There were definately '05's with dual steering controls.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:05 PM
CaneZMD

So to revive this thread....
I have an '03 enthusiast. I am planning on getting the '06 controls from a 350 and the spiral cable as well. On the web it says that there are three versions for the O
06...standard, enthusiast and touring. What are the differences?

Does anyone have the nissan part numbers?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:14 PM
CaneZMD

As a follow up....

I have an 03 enthusiast with cruise. I purchased the cruise and audio controls from an 06 enthusiast. The total cost of the controls was $47. There is one stock number that includes both sides. This is because they are wired together and are actually a single piece.

The factory cruise control on the 03 uses 3 wires: two for the cruise, one for the horn ground. The 06 uses 8 wires: 2 for the cruise, one for the horn ground, 2 for illumination (a power and a variable, dimmable ground) and 3 for the radio controls (two control wires and a ground).

The 03 spiral cable carries seven available wires from the wheel to the steering column. The 03 only uses 3 of the 7, the 06 requires 8. There are two solutions: one is to order an 06 spiral cable (also called a "clockspring"), the other is to only use one wire for illumination. I cut the variable ground used for illumination dimming inside the steering wheel and grounded it to a screw in the steering wheel. It's not variable, so it won't dim, but they aren't that bright anyway and I never dim my interior lights anyway.

This means that the 06 controls will fully function using the 03 spiral cable. 2 for cruise, 3 for the radio, 1 ground for the horn and now, one power wire for illumination. (since the illumination is now grounded to the steering wheel and doesn't require transit through the spiral cable.)

As far as rigging the extra wires into the steering column side of the spiral cable....The factory 03 steering column plug uses 3 of the available 7 slots. You need to install 4 female connectos to plug into the column side of the spiral cable. (3 for the radio, one for illumination power)

I didn't have an old floppy drive, but I found some at radio shack. They were in the computer parts drawer. Radio shack #276-1428. It's called "9 position Female D-Sub Connector" It comes with about 12 female jacks (you only need 4) and a jack that looks like a serial port. (You can throw this part away.

For illumination, There is a red and blue wire that leaves the back of the TCS switch. This wire carries switched power for illumination. Just tap this wire to the illumination power wire that you hook into the spiral cable.

So in closing, To add lighted radio and cruise control steering wheel controls you can simply purchase 06 enthusiast radio/cruise control steering wheel switches, use your 03-05 spiral cable, and still achieve full functionality. (except for dimming the illumination) If you have to have a dimmer, then ground the radio control to the wheel and use that wire for dimming or buy an 06 spiral cable. No infiniti parts are necessary anymore, since the 06 has radio controls.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:57 PM
geomark

Cane, I'm assuming you have the factory radio. Any idea if this will work with an aftermarket deck such as the Avic D3?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:00 PM
kbn

where can i find the switches online? i have a base 2006.

i just skimmed through this thread but is it even possible to have cruise control on a base 2006?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:29 AM
CaneZMD

I have a pioneer headunit....actually I'm planning on replacing it with an avic d3 later this month. I just ran the wires to a pac swi x which controls the head unit. So you can make these controls, through the pac swi, work with any headunit.

KBN: I have an enthusiast model, ie. it already had non-lighted cruise controls on the wheel. I don't know if you can add cruise control to a non-cruise control car.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:53 AM
geomark

I am going to give it a try in my 05. I have the cruise, just want the audio controls and possibly the illumination. I am looking online for the 06 steering wheel controls. Can you post a link to where you found yours from?
Old 11-09-2007, 07:41 PM
CaneZMD

geomark: The controls (audio and cruise) are a single piece. They are connected by wires inside the wheel. There is a single part number. I just called west covina nissan and ordered the steering wheel cruise control switches (thats what they're listed under) for an '06 enthusiast model.

They cost around $46. The connectors for the lighting and radio controls are about $2 from radio shack.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Tiburonwez

Default Simpler swap?

Hi everyone, my first post on here!

After reading the thread it seems everyone is using the 06 parts, so if possible could anyone help with my situation?
I have a 05 roadster with just the cruise switches on the right hand side of the wheel. I have just purchased a new wheel (03-05) with the same cruise switches on the right and the audio switches on the left. Im sure i wont be as lucky to just beable to swap straight over?? i have the bose HU too.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Chad68

Default horn wiring question

I got my Momo wheel in today and have a question about the wiring of the horn.

Since the battery will be diconnected before I remove the old wheel, I won't be able to test which of the two factory (orange) horn wires to tell which one is the hot one.

In their diagram it shows 2 options for wiring the horn

1. Shows two wires coming through the hub from steering column. One goes to the horn button tab and the other goes to the other tab on the horn button.

2. It shows one wire comming through the hub from the steering column. One wires goes to one of the tabs on the horn button and shows a small jumper wire that comes off the other horn tab and gets connected to the mounting plate on the backside of the wheel.

Any ideas which is the correct way? I would like to keep my horn so I don't have to yell at people

I'm not 100% sure there is two factory orange wires bound together or if just one. hard to tell from the pics I could find.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:09 PM
ttbbsolid

CaneZMD.
i have an 03 with cruise control and stock bose unit.
do you think i can follow your step (go with 06 unit) and still get audio power button working? or there will be extra wire running involved?
thank you for your detail diy.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:12 AM
medstudent25

nevermind im an idiot

Last edited by medstudent25; 03-11-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Willowns

Is there anyway to safely remove the Z emblem on the steering wheel? I dont know how it happened but Some chrome started chipping off and it looks horrible. I may get it re-chromed or just flat black it with the two side pieces. any info? thanks

Will
Old 06-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Kal_El

Here is a link to the part number for the 06+ audio and cruise controls: http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasit...-p-307690.html

Quick Reply: DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install