Notices

DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:31 PM
mantrius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to bring up an old subject, but does anyone have the part number for the 06+ spiral cable? I've checked courtesyparts.com and can't seem to find any parts listed as spiral cable or clockspring.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:41 AM
350zturbo2

Originally Posted by mantrius
Not to bring up an old subject, but does anyone have the part number for the 06+ spiral cable? I've checked courtesyparts.com and can't seem to find any parts listed as spiral cable or clockspring.

Did you ever find out?? I too was looking for the spiral cable, if its something that is really needed.

I don't want to seem stupid but does the:

SWITCH-ASC
Quick Product Details
Manufacturer: Genuine Nissan Part
Category: Genuine Parts List
Product SKU: 25550-CF40A

Come with the aluminum covers? I am assuming they do, but there were no specifics on other posts.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 AM
350zturbo2

ok I did find a part answer the the above. when searching the part here:
http://www.nissanpartsdirect.com/oempartscat.html
It does say the word trim, so that answers that.

I am still curious if the 06 spiral cable is needed for an 05 install?

This post has been alive for a while!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:58 AM
350zturbo2

Wink

Better pricing here for an 06 Steering wheel control.

CLICK RIGHT HERE Search for part 25550CF40A, choose make. They are 45 bucks for the set.

Here is what you get:

I have yet to tinker with the wiring, but I can assume the pink and yellow wires are for the Illumination since they are the only two wires that are shared on both button sets. If anyone can confirm this, please do. Cane's post on the wiring of the 06 switch set is very useful.

Last edited by 350zturbo2; 08-14-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:51 PM
durt

Has anyone gotten the 06 steering wheel controls retrofitted in an 03-05 to control the factory Bose head unit?
Old 11-04-2008, 07:31 AM
350zturbo2

Originally Posted by durt
Has anyone gotten the 06 steering wheel controls retrofitted in an 03-05 to control the factory Bose head unit?
The wiring is the same as the 05. I looked up the wiring diagram using the 06 service manual (I belive it was here on this site) for my 05 to find the correct wiring of the 06 switches. If you know automotive wiring decent enough, you could map out the correct wires that should control the Bose system. I was using an Eclipse AVN6620 so it had 2 wires for steering controls that I had to tap into. I also used the Pac Eclipse adpter because I didn't want to have infra red controls. The Pac I have programs the steering controls and sends them to the eclipse radio. Hope some of this helps.

Regards.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:52 PM
burner

Good write up...I read through all the posts and I have a question:

I have an 03 Base, without cruise control. Is there a part number that comes with the steering wheel controls on one side and a blank panel on the other? The wiring should be much easier with no cruise, right? I have an aftermarket Pioneer deck. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:59 AM
350zturbo2

Originally Posted by burner
Good write up...I read through all the posts and I have a question:

I have an 03 Base, without cruise control. Is there a part number that comes with the steering wheel controls on one side and a blank panel on the other? The wiring should be much easier with no cruise, right? I have an aftermarket Pioneer deck. Thanks in advance!
No you have to use it with the cruise. Just don't hook it up since you obviously don't have cruise. Your lighting will work and it will atleast light up with the other side.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:32 PM
burner

Originally Posted by 350zturbo2
No you have to use it with the cruise. Just don't hook it up since you obviously don't have cruise. Your lighting will work and it will atleast light up with the other side.
Cool, thanks for the reply. One more question...seeing as how I have a base model with no cruise, will the wiring even be in the steering wheel when I pop the airbag off or an I going to have to run all the wiring myself? I guess I am a little confused as to how the wiring will work when I don't have cruise. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2008, 05:47 AM
350zturbo2

Cool, thanks for the reply. One more question...seeing as how I have a base model with no cruise, will the wiring even be in the steering wheel when I pop the airbag off or an I going to have to run all the wiring myself? I guess I am a little confused as to how the wiring will work when I don't have cruise. Thanks!
In order to have that answered you probably would have to take the steps of taking out the airbag to see which pins are available in the base spiral cable. If you do not have cruise I believe you wouldn't need more than 4 pins where if you had cruise, you would need 7 pins available. They usually set up a car with the possibility of an aftermarket install. That way its easy for the dealer to put cruise in, so basically they usually leave what wiring may be needed. But I am not 100% sure on that. If someone else in the post reads this and can support this, that would be great. If the pins are not there you would need to get an 05 or 06 spiral cable (you can find them!) I would go with the 06 just to get the extra pin (they have 8)- the hard part will be finding a junkyard that has the harness plug with wires that you can use with the spiral cable. The plug is part of the whole cars wiring harness and they can't sell just the plug. I am sure there are many crashed 03-06 Z's that had cruise and will have the plug that you need. Try to save some money by using a junkyard for the spiral cable as well, if you need it. If you follow the original posters instruction, taking out the airbag to view the spiral cable plug is rather easy; can be done in about a 1/2 hour or less even.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:01 AM
06blueZ

I added the audio controls to my 06 base model, and from what I understand, any z 2003-2005 will need the ribbon cable from an 06+...

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video...se-models.html
Old 11-12-2008, 06:37 AM
350zturbo2

Originally Posted by 06blueZ
I added the audio controls to my 06 base model, and from what I understand, any z 2003-2005 will need the ribbon cable from an 06+...

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video...se-models.html
06 Blue : did you recall how many available pins there were on your stock spiral cable, that will help the other poster out. I would guess you didn't have any or enough and bought an 06 touring model (cruise control model) spiral cable? If you did purchase an 06 cruise spiral cable where did you get the harness plug for the output side of the spiral cable? This will help the other poster as I didn't need any of those items and since you both have a base model you both have common ground here.

Thanks for your input.

I used my 05 Spiral Cable (I think that is what you meant by ribbon?) and was able to install the 06 controls. There are 7 available pins on my 05 spiral cable and I used them all. I only used 6 of them (did a bit differnt install) but the 7th SHOULD be used for the ground for the lights and control. (stock ground doesn't give full contact during steering) The PAC SWI-ECL2 was the controller I used other than the infra red version the poster used. It did allow me to free up 1 wire so I was able to use the 05 spiral and have a proper ground for the lights and SWI-ECL2. (The PAC SWI-ECL2 is designed to work specifically with eclipse stereos) The 05 & 06 service manuals on this website were perfect in allowing me to map out the wiring so I knew what had to go where.

To sum it up, if you have a specialty PAC adapter you will only need 7 wires. If you use the PAC adapter the original poster used, you will need 8 wires. If you need 8 wires you will need an 06 spiral cable for sure. If you need 7 wires you can use an 05 spiral cable and that is based on your car having cruise. If you don't have cruise I believe you wont need 4 of the wires of either year's spiral cable(might be 3, its been a while since I did this project). It was a fun project, but take your time especially with the wiring, do lots of tests before putting it back together. Only mistake I made was I read the wrong value on the PAC resistors and it wouldn't work, luckily I checked them to be sure and sure enough I had a value 1000x higher than was needed. Put in the right one and worked right away.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:51 AM
06blueZ

Originally Posted by 350zturbo2
06 Blue : did you recall how many available pins there were on your stock spiral cable, that will help the other poster out. I would guess you didn't have any or enough and bought an 06 touring model (cruise control model) spiral cable? If you did purchase an 06 cruise spiral cable where did you get the harness plug for the output side of the spiral cable? This will help the other poster as I didn't need any of those items and since you both have a base model you both have common ground here.
well, since I have an 06, it already had the correct spiral cable(even the base model) in the car and did not need to do anything but plug in the harness into the wheel. I am not really sure about what an 03-05 car has or needs, sorry. I guess my post didn't really help anyone trying to do this in an 03-05 car...
Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 AM
350zturbo2

Originally Posted by 06blueZ
well, since I have an 06, it already had the correct spiral cable(even the base model) in the car and did not need to do anything but plug in the harness into the wheel. I am not really sure about what an 03-05 car has or needs, sorry. I guess my post didn't really help anyone trying to do this in an 03-05 car...
No that helps! that proves he should have the pins needed to do this. That was his biggest worry. So he really doesn't need to hunt around for a higher model spiral cable. I really didn't want to do that either and mapped out the wiring scheme that I needed to see if I needed it. I didn't need it and was happy I didn't have to hunt for an 06 spiral cable & harness plug.

So for where it stands with a base model you should be able to use what you have. Since there is no cruise you should be able to use those extra pins if they are needed. Use the 30 minutes it takes to remove the airbag to confirm this before ordering your parts. You should have plenty of pins to do either the infra red PAC version or a radio specific PAC version.

Get an Eclipse AVN6620, that is what I have, great radio and ebay's pricing for new has come down considerably. Bought mine for 675. Plus it works perfect for the steering control project.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:25 AM
burner

Thanks for the help. I'll take the airbag off to verify everything and let you all know how it goes. I will be wiring the steering wheel controls to a Pioneer AVH-P4000 double din unit. I'll probably go with the radio specific PAC unit. I am still a bit confused about the wiring but I will figure it out.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:55 AM
350zturbo2

Thanks for the help. I'll take the airbag off to verify everything and let you all know how it goes. I will be wiring the steering wheel controls to a Pioneer AVH-P4000 double din unit. I'll probably go with the radio specific PAC unit. I am still a bit confused about the wiring but I will figure it out.
Sounds like you will need the PAC SWI-PS. Does the AVH-P4000 have steering wheel control wires? My eclipse AVN6620 had one brown and one white to perform steering control. The only thing I was not able to do is turn the unit off.

I do have a few years of stereo installation an alarm installation under my belt. But that was like 14 years ago. I didn't retain all. Mapping the wires you will find easy once you follow the 05 & 06 service manuals. Here is the steps you might consider.

1. First determine you have atleast 4 usable pins.
2. Commit yourself to doing the install (this was hard for me, lol)
3. Buy the PAC SWI-PS or equevilent & your 06 Steering controls
4. Identify how the PAC will need to communicate to the AVH-P4000 and start a graphic chart with the wires used and their colors identified
5. Work backwards to find what the PAC needs to communicate with a Z that HAS steering controls, this is when you will use the 06 service manual. (
6. Use the location (exact pin location) to graph what your 05 harness plug wire color is and mark this on your chart.(some of the wires are similar in color as an 06)
7. find which pin in the steering wheels harness which will translate to which of the wires on the 06 controls will be used for what purpose. Mark on your graph what wire color and what it will be used for.

Working it backwards worked well for me. Basically understand how all the parts work together to get the controls to work. Don't get me wrong I was stuck till I really started into it, and after reading this whole post about 5 times to see what everyones points were.

If your Z is your daily driver, don't tinker till you are sure you can get into it and get it done. Once you map out wiring and get a diagram of wire colors and position is the time you would want to start the project.

Like I posted earlier: You see in the picture of the 06 controls the Pink and Yellow wires are for illumination. I belive pink was positive and yellow negative and uses full 12 volts. (if you want to test it with radio shack gator clips to a 12 volt source, you can do so and note :if the polarity is reversed they wont light). Like a previous poster I didn't bother trying to tap them into the interior instrument dimmer cause they aren't super bright to become bothersome. Plus not many of us ever dim the interior instrument lights. So there are 2 wires easy to identify on the 06 controls.

Yours will be easier because you don't have to get hte cruise controls correct. I had to be SURE the cruise wires were exactly as they were so the cruise would work like it did. The service manuals let me identify them quite quickly. I actually did this first so I know which were the free pins for the rest of the controls to use.

Hope this helps you. So many have helped me with Z projects so I try to help when I can.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:04 AM
burner

Thanks a bunch for your help! I've done all sorts of wiring in my Z (7" screen in cubby with aftermarket nav, headunit install, complete strip of speaker system, subwoofer/amp install, etc) so I think I can figure this out. I have one more question though, something I am still a bit confused on:

Since I have no cruise, there are no wires running into the steering wheel. The plug is there, but contains no wires. Will I have to run the wires from the steering wheel control panel through the steering wheel column directly to the PAC unit in this case?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:38 PM
350zturbo2

Thanks a bunch for your help! I've done all sorts of wiring in my Z (7" screen in cubby with aftermarket nav, headunit install, complete strip of speaker system, subwoofer/amp install, etc) so I think I can figure this out. I have one more question though, something I am still a bit confused on:

Since I have no cruise, there are no wires running into the steering wheel. The plug is there, but contains no wires. Will I have to run the wires from the steering wheel control panel through the steering wheel column directly to the PAC unit in this case?
No problem with the help! We can help others some day. Look how old this post is and we still keep it going!

Based on Paragraph 1: Then you are qualified for this project!!!

Based on your Question: This was an area I did get lost also. there are 2 plug in points on the spiral cable. One is inside the steering wheel (this is where the grey harness plug of the left and right 06 swithes will go. On the opposite end there will be another harness plug which is the output side of the spiral cable and this is where the wires exit to go on to their connections. Which side where you refering to?

You might have to get on your back to check the Output side of the spiral cable - it is important here to count the pins. First off, you have to see if there is a plug in that back harness plug (female)- because you have no cruise they may have not even supplied that plug but left the the spot for it there with the 7 pins showing in case you wanted to add features down the road. If there is a plug with the wires ( WE ARE IN BUSINESS!) take it out and count the pins. If there is no plug ( START CALLING JUNK YARDS!).

If you don't find the plug you will get one, plenty of wrecked 350zs out there. You might want one that is close so you can show them the plug you need. Plus there are many online junkyards that can help if you can describe the plug well enough. the service manual can help - I beleive it lists the description of the plug in detail.

The steering wheel side is the side you just inspected, you wont find wires here but you should see a row of pins inside the plug. If you don't this is when you realize (YOU WILL NEED AN 06 SPIRAL CABLE BACK TO THE JUNKYARDS - It may be hard to find new, not to mention expensive)

(these pictures are from this post and are not mine)

Look for the plug you see in the picture below, this is the plug that should be on the output or steering shaft side of the spiral cable.

This pictures is of the steering side or input side of the spiral cable, here you want to be sure you see pins as well. An 05 should have 7 pins (that is with cruise - How many do you have?)
You see the yellow wire that is attached to the steering wheel metal - that is the horn ground. Scroll up and look at the picture I posted of the 06 controls - this is now green - one instance showing the wire colors were not consistant.

This picture is kind of how the service manuals will read, notice how it shows both the steering side harness plug and the output side harness plug. Understanding which wires goes to which plug pin will get this done with ZERO issues. The funny mistake I made (ok I laughed months later) was that 150k resistor I decided to read it wrong and put in a 1,500k resistor. Glade I checked!!! I almost called PAC for tech support and for a man with electronics, that spells defeat.

Sorry the pictures are fullsize, I don't know how they do the thombnail thing. What is the BB code for thumbnailed pics?

Last edited by 350zturbo2; 11-13-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:49 PM
350zturbo2

AHH I see how they do it. As an attachment. Very cool.

This pic shows the floppy cable pin you will need to extract. Use as many as you may need to cover pins that don't have wires. In the case of no cruise you yourself will probably be able to skip this step as you will only need a few of the wires.

DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install-20-1-.jpg
Old 12-11-2008, 07:46 AM
burner

Hey guys, finally got around to popping off my airbag in my 03 base. I posted some pictures below. Looks like the 03 base does have the spiral cable and the plug required for this mod. I can sort of tell what the pins are, but not entirely. Does anyone have a pinout diagram for which pins correspond to the pins on the column side gray plug? I am also wondering what the green wires are for on they gray plug seeing as how I have a base. Are these the wires for the cruise? I am assuming that it is wired for it but doesn't have the required equipment to make it work simply by putting the control panel on the wheel. Can I remove these wires from the harness? I am assuming that the yellow plug is for the airbag.

It is my understanding that I just run the wires from the steering wheel control panel into the spiral cable plug and check continuity on the other side, then route the wires through the dash to the PAC unit. If that sounds right, I'm going for it. Let me know what you all think.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2086
Size:  25.4 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 2042
Size:  20.6 KB

Quick Reply: DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install