Notices

How To: Works Bell shifter install on 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How To: Works Bell shifter install on 350Z

Just got my kit today and I know there is a install for a G35 but this is a how to on installing a column paddle shifter for the 5AT 350Z. There are some differences in the two. This kit allows you to retain the use of your stock steering wheel and airbag. First off let's begin with what you will need to complete this install

ok, now onto the kit parts list:

Everything is neatly packed and easy to see if anything is missing. Each piece is solid and nothing cheap feeling at all about this kit. The paddles are real Carbon Fiber and the pieces are black adonized metal (including the switch housing). overall the box weighed less than 2 lbs.

the instructions were translated from japanese so as i go along with this install, i will go step by step and correct any errors in the translation. there are basically two parts to this install. the column shifter itself and the electrical part. There are some steps that are not necessary from pre reading this so I will post the literal instructions, then the actual hands-on.
      Old 08-05-2008, 02:44 PM
      Z04

After reading the instructions, i found that it really did not matter what you start with so I decided to start with the paddle install first.

First you need to remove the bottom side of the steering wheel cover. This is held on by 4 screws and they are easy to access. Remember with the 350Z there is a separate bezel ring around the ignition that just pops right off. the later model Z's have a lighted ring. i am sure this just pops off as well. You can also remove the scuff plate under the steering wheel. This will make it easy to run the wire harness and remove the bottom steering cover.

Next you will need to drill holes in the cover. one thing I did notice is that if you decide to take the kit off, these holes are not visible since they are obscured by the steering wheel itself. You are going to carefully cut out the template provided and secure it to the outside of the cover. as you can see from the pic i taped it like the instructions show. Make sure there are no wrinkles in the template, but this can be a challenge since the cover is not exactly flat, so do the best you can.

Mark the holes and start small (3.0mm), then go to full size (6.0mm). If you are good with a drill you really can't mess this step up at all. Since i do not have metric bits i used a 1/8 to start and a 3/16 to finish

After the holes are drilled, temporarily secure the left and right switch in place. Also look for where you will have to drill the hole for the switch wires. There is no template for those holes but be sure you drill them in a spot where the wires will not get pinched. hole size will be 4.0mm. Again i used just a 1/8 and this was more than adequate and kept the wire snug.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:45 PM
      Z04

The next step is to install the Switch Base Plate. The base plate goes on the inside of the cover and has small, threaded holes for the switch stays. Use the M5 screws provided and securely attach the left and right switch. you can see the wires for the switches in place also.

Also at this time it is a good idea to go ahead and position the height of the shifter switches and paddles. I will show you how I positioned it since this is a user choice on how you want it to be positioned. I took the lower column back to the car and positioned mine with the turn and wiper switch set at the lowest. I then adjusted the paddles and switch heght to my liking. These are the adjustments that can be made:

the shifter switches height
      the angle of the paddles
      the distance of the paddles from the switch

this is all the way up. i tried to get them to interfere with the turn/washer stalks but they barely touch if at all. i find this to be perfect for me.

once you get your desired adjustments, secure the switch bolts with the appropriate hex wrench since you will not be able to do this easily once it is fully installed. same with the paddles.
      Old 08-05-2008, 02:45 PM
      Z04

Now that you have it adjusted to your satisfaction it is time to secure the wires inside the cover and to set up the female wire connector. Insert the wires into the female connector in this order Yellow- Black- Gray- Blue. this is very important to have the wires in the correct order, otherwise the switches will not work. Be sure you look at the male end wiring to ensure that you have this done properly (the blue and yellow wires are the outer)

Use the neat cord holders provided with the kit to keep the wires together. I added some additional black electrial tape to keep the wires from being tangled and look a lot neater.

Leave the lower cover off for now. You will need to connect the male end of the wire harness to this during the final install. Take a beer break now if so desired.
      Old 08-05-2008, 02:46 PM
      Z04

Ok, beer break over now it is time to mess with the electrical/harness. To access this you need to begin by taking off the bezel ring from around the shifter. then you need to pull up on the shift panel cover to lift it off and out of the way. disconnect the temperature gauge harness to complete this.

the directions call for the removal of the shift ****. i found this step to be completely unecessary for a 350Z but for a G35 you will have to do this to gain access to the shifter.
      Old 08-05-2008, 02:48 PM
      Z04

Locate the shift harness. this is a white plug coming out of the shifter itself, not to hard to spot. Disconnect it and plug the new harness in place. Note, this can only go in one way (obviously) then reconnect the other end of the shift harness to the new harness. Basically this is going in between like an extension.

the connector is the white plug near the red wire. disconect that

plug in one side

then the other, and you are connected

Tape up the excess and secure the circuit box, then thread the male end through the driver side foot area. You also need to locate a wire for power. I did what the other guy did here and tapped the lighter wire and grounded to the body
      Old 08-05-2008, 02:49 PM
      Z04

once all of this is in place you are ready for final assembly. Locate a spot for the black ground wire from the male adapter, then connect it to the female.

Reinstall the lower cover, making sure to be careful not to pinch any wires in the assembly. this can cause a CEL and code to be thrown if not careful. Also be careful with the shifter harness. Tape that up and secure it as well because this can cause the same thing. check your lights, horn, etc and make sure they all still work.

Go out for a test drive. If all is wired correctly the right shifter will be the + (shift up) and the left will be the - (shift down). the kit has little stickers for the paddles but i am not sure of them since you really can not see them anyway. The directions warn of pulling them both at the same time.

total install time was close to one hour. (including beer break)
      Old 08-05-2008, 02:49 PM
      Z04

test drive. wow, that is all i can say. this kit works just like advertised. no delay at all with shifting, though make sure you do engage it fully. the movement is very minimal to shift and you might think you did (but in reality you didn't). will take some getting use to but once i do, i will not make any mistakes with it at all. no delay at all when it shifts. Some mentioned that these do not sit right for driving (at the 9 and 3 o'clock postion) and i say to that, it is all in how you adjust them. you see the pics it may look like i got them too high and that it will hit the wiper/turn signal. in reality the only time the wiper arm will hit is if i pull back on it when i got them turned on. otherwise if i just want to pull back for a quick spray and wipe, the arm does not touch the paddle shifter at all. and my hands feel perfect at 9 and 3 o'clock with them adjusted this way.
      Old 08-05-2008, 04:28 PM
      Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good write-up
      Old 08-05-2008, 04:58 PM
      marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

good write-up maybe i will get one around christmas time.
      Old 08-05-2008, 11:55 PM
      glastoveteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brilliant thanks!
      Old 08-06-2008, 04:41 AM
      imonlykidden

Very nice install DIY write up. Looks great!
      Old 08-06-2008, 09:58 AM
      GatorFan

nice. should have mine today or tomorrow
      Old 08-06-2008, 10:07 AM
      TheOtherRob

Any vids in action?
      Old 08-06-2008, 01:30 PM
      Z04

sorry, no vids but if i had that ability i would add it. just drove the entire day to and from work using nothing but the shifters and the more i get use to them, the more i love them. i can not tell a difference in the shift time with these or using the stick. had to make a couple minor adjustments for the paddles but was more like fine tuning.
      Old 08-11-2008, 12:55 PM
      jfptbird

Just to be clear, the gear selector needs to be in manual mode for the paddels to be active, correct?
      Old 08-12-2008, 05:39 AM
      Z04

Originally Posted by jfptbird
      Just to be clear, the gear selector needs to be in manual mode for the paddels to be active, correct?

yes, you are correct.
      Old 08-13-2008, 05:22 AM
      07JimmyZ

Looks awesome! If I had to get the auto this would've been the way to go, great write-up as well
      Old 10-09-2008, 12:50 PM
      Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

damn this makes me really consider getting one.. where did you order yours from? I see a couple of different models.. which one is this?
      Old 10-21-2008, 04:15 AM
      Z04

Originally Posted by Entaille
      damn this makes me really consider getting one.. where did you order yours from? I see a couple of different models.. which one is this?
      for this shift kit there is only one model. i got it from a sponsor here on the forum

Quick Reply: How To: Works Bell shifter install on 350Z