Notices

DIY: Making your own [budget] BBK

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:15 AM
burntZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi faithful reader, yes just you,

just answering a PM out here where others might gain some insight, knowledge or at least lolz fodder...
(that knowledge being that i'm probably an ignorant idjut)

Originally Posted by ......
NIce write up on the inexpensive bbk with the wilwoods.. Im in the process of doing the same thing but with evo 8 brembos.. i got 4piston fronts and 2 piston rears.. anyways...

I need the caliper brackets made... Where could i go to get this done?? Or could you fab one up for me

hi
hard to say if it's even possible without specifications on the calipers you have - a quick web search gave me this - does this look / sound correct?

EVO-5,6,7,8,9 (possibly 10?) is equipped with:
FRONT:
- vented rotors 320x32mm (12.59"x1.25")
- 4-piston calipers
REAR:
- vented rotors 300x20mm (11.8"x0.78")
- 2-piston calipers

and here is the Z brembo info

Front Rotor

324mm x 30mm ( 20.5# )
(12.76" x 1.18")
Front Piston 4.12 brembo

Rear Rotor
322mm x 22mm (18.5#)
(12.68" x .866")
Rear Piston 1.95 brembo

i don't believe that the brembo sized rotors from the evo have the same bolt patterns as z/g's?

so would probably be easist to use z/g brembo sized rotors and these calipers - the biggest difference is that the z/g rear rotors are larger which might have the brake pad hanging over the end of the rotor (because the rotor would hit the ends of the smaller radius caliper)

[***but not as easy as just selling these on craigslist / ebay and just buying actual z/g brembos!***]

unless you DIY it your looking at a lot of fabbing time (& time=$$$)

the bracket making is pretty simple ONCE you have the precise measurements - getting the measurements correct would probably take 2 days...

i don't know who will do this for you - probably not midas... try local raceshops in your area? you might find someone willing to try this but they will need your car (for days) to do it,

if you don't mind the back/forth postage (calipers / rotors are heavy) send just the left front / rear setups to me and i'll look to see if it is even possible to get them on a Z (the left side of my car is easiest to work on in my garage)
the cost (i'm cheap, not free!) a new front g37sport 14" rotor (just one) to pull my car apart and see if your setup is even possible to be done...

and if possible...

i'll make you brackets* (your $ for the good steel and good grade bolts for the final brackets ~$120-150?, i've got plenty of crap steel/ grade 5 bolts(and cardboard and plywood) for the several practice brackets i'll have to make to get it right )
* [sorry, i interupted myself,] for a second front rotor and the 2 rear g37 sport rotors (online ~ $88 each)

as a back up plan (for your BBK plans) if these brembos are not able to go on a z/g i'll also be mocking up brackets for the 14" g37s rotor(s) you sent (for wilwood calipers) which will be a pretty sight too...

same deal - i'll trade brackets for rotors....

[so faithful reader - are you also interested in the great bracket swap shopping deal for xmas '08
a 14" BBK at rock bottom DIY prices??? ]

'at this price i'm cutting my own throat' - CMOT Dibbler

just can't stop rambling.... i saw the 14"G37 sport brake post in the huge diy BBK bracket fread - looks like a good deal and with the 370z coming out with the 14 sport brakes also, they will be around.
but... a quick math check says you can do 14" 6 pot / 4 pot wilwoods for less!

[btw - anyone else out there in tvland do this DIY yet [the 13" setup from my templates?] - post your pics...]
Old 12-21-2008, 01:57 PM
smellyborrelli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very impressive.. im too lazy for all of that tho haha
Old 12-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Phreakdout

OP: I might be able to have these brackets made if there are enough folks interested. Do you think the design is set?
Old 12-21-2008, 06:22 PM
burntZ

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
OP: I might be able to have these brackets made if there are enough folks interested. Do you think the design is set?
For the ~13in brembo rotor size it's all set as posted - over 6k miles now.

Starting plans for the new 14in rotors over the holidays, will post those templates / measurements etc after it's all worked out

[my only drawback is that i use my old 17 rims for track tires and probably will have to find some cheap oem 18' rims for that now]

A 14" budget bbk shopping list:
wilwood calipers 4 $664 (summit racing)
14 fr rotors / 13.8 rr rotors 4 total $356 (infinitipartsonline.com)
ss brakelines fr/rr $120 (hrpworld, others)
brake pads (2 sets) $132 ""
metal for brackets $60 (online metals, others)
grade 8 hardware $60 H depot / lowes, others

Total: 1392 before shopping around for bargains...

and the rear bracket will be normal - not the large ones i had to use for the my current rotors

also
550 degree Brake Ducting $70 for my cooling ducts (jegs.com)
http://www.allstar-performance.com/product.htm?prod=359 ducts
Old 12-21-2008, 10:56 PM
chopperman

Burnt Im waiting for this 14" BBK!!!!!! Should be looking good.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:43 AM
Phreakdout

Looks good BurntZ. I may wait for the 14" kit and do both brackets at the same time. I have a supplier who can laser cut these so they would come out pretty clean.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:42 AM
burntZ

www.infinitipartscenter.net <-- the corrected web address
and it was only $326 for 4 sport rotors [ordered some moments ago....]

was looking at g35 driver .co m brake threads on the whole akebono kit and those calipers are HUGE - need 19" rims to clear - they sit above the rotor much more than other bbk calipers - still, a good price if you have the 19's

i'm still grasping at the desperate straw of getting them under my 17" stockies for track day rims....

so now it's waiting for the big brown truck to arrive....

back to the xbox forzaII trackday - only one on my schedule for a while :-(

also it was brought to my attention that photobucket resized the template jpgs - no they really aren't that small... will try to host them somewhere else....
Old 01-07-2009, 06:07 PM
burntZ

Name:  jan2009045.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  152.3 KB

Name:  jan2009049.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  134.4 KB

Finally got the 14 / 13.8" rotors - just time today to do some quick comparisons vs old rotors and inside the 17" rim i use for track tires - the return of the paper caliper shows it has the potential to fit- unfortunatly the inside of the rim does narrow as it goes down so ???

they are pretty darn heavy.... any 370z owners out there notice the weight???

probably next wed before i can really tear apart my brakes...
Old 01-10-2009, 07:27 PM
burntZ

Name:  14rotors002.jpg
Views: 1792
Size:  128.0 KB

spent some time playing with the 14" sport package rotors

Name:  14rotors007.jpg
Views: 1757
Size:  127.4 KB

under 18" rims - no problem!
Name:  14rotors013.jpg
Views: 1758
Size:  103.6 KB

under 17" rims - Big problem! - about 1mm clearance - just too close to use

there goes using the 17"s as track rims- will wait until i need track tires again (not until next year i hope) and plan to get another set of 5 spoke oem rims - will use the wider rear 4 rims for track tires and the 4 fronts as the road rims - can then swap front to rear to rotate both sets,

Name:  14rotors006.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  159.9 KB

another issue is my current calipers are 'sub-optimal' for 14" rotors

you can get 6 pot wilwoods for 14" rotors so that all the pad is on the rotor - might do that down the line after i wear out my 6/08 13" rotors and go to the 14's

Name:  14rotors001.jpg
Views: 1706
Size:  146.7 KB

comparing 14 to ~13 to stock...

So i'm going to wait until i wear out my current stuff some more before proceeding further.

[if any brake parts guys read this can you check if you can order the 14" caliper bracket (wilwood 250-9290) seperately? pls PM me if so!]
Old 01-13-2009, 04:46 AM
sdavis1090

You sir, are a CHAMPION!

very nice work!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:17 PM
chopperman

Which 6 pot caliper do you recommend for the 14" brakes, Part number?
Old 02-05-2009, 06:50 PM
burntZ

Originally Posted by chopperman
Which 6 pot caliper do you recommend for the 14" brakes, Part number?
Hi C-man!

Narrow Body SL6R for 14.00" Discs with 16 mm Pads:
Bore Size Disc Width
1.62/1.12/1.12" 41,1/28,4/28,4 mm 1.25" 31,8 mm

120-8000-RS/FS 120-8001-RS/FS ($410)

are the 6 piston cals for 14" discs - i haven't had one in hand to mess around with - they are radial mount which makes the brackets a bit more challenging since i've not tried them but probably easier over all with getting everything out of the way...

not sure which (8000 or 8001) are the front mount vs rear mount ones - need the bleed screws on the correct end (stock calipers are front mount, in front of the rotor)

other 14 (to 16") options..
TC 6R have ($700!)

1.62 / 1.12 / 1.12" 41,1 / 28,4 / 28,4 mm 1.25" 31,8 mm 120-9138-FS

there are 'SL4R' calipers for the rears also (120-8065? probably)

http://www.infinitipartsonline.com [ - a cheap 14" alternative!]
Caliper - W/sport package - 2008 only $238.35
~750 for full front 14" sport kit parts!! pretty sure the front are bolt on also (no brackets to fab)!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:06 AM
chopperman

Thanks Burntz
Old 10-06-2010, 04:19 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Burntz,

good job on the DIY, first time for me seeing this thread. I see your reasoning for making the bigger rear bracket - thus relocating the rear caliper more aft of the car....

Why not make a bracket that offsets the rear holes down or up from the mount point????
instead of shooting them over to the opposite side of the rear spindle??? the bracket would be as small as the front one???

-J
Old 10-06-2010, 12:48 PM
burntZ

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
Burntz,

good job on the DIY, first time for me seeing this thread. I see your reasoning for making the bigger rear bracket - thus relocating the rear caliper more aft of the car....

Why not make a bracket that offsets the rear holes down or up from the mount point????
instead of shooting them over to the opposite side of the rear spindle??? the bracket would be as small as the front one???

-J
Hi!
the stock rear calipers are pretty tiny so that the mounting ears on the car stick out much further than they do for the front caliper, there was no room to get any sort of bracket between the caliper mounts and the stock mounts with the calipers i had in hand. possibly a smaller wilwood caliper would have worked there but as 'budget' was part of my goal i went with what i had.

the front setup did this (ha ~ a year ago)...

Name:  cracked1.jpg
Views: 1674
Size:  49.9 KB

to a stock brembo rotor which i think shows my setup is strong enough if i can destroy rotors with impunity, i backed down the pads a step and haven't had any further issues... (knocks on wooden skull..)

currently toying with crafting [ term used loosely as my fab skills are still apprentice-wannabee level with hopes of one day getting to ~journeyman rank] with a rearmount turbo similiar to sts so that i can really grenade the engine into sebring turn 17
Old 10-06-2010, 02:37 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by burntZ
Hi!
the stock rear calipers are pretty tiny so that the mounting ears on the car stick out much further than they do for the front caliper, there was no room to get any sort of bracket between the caliper mounts and the stock mounts with the calipers i had in hand.
yes i got that part from earlier in the thread...

let me try to word my suggestion differently:

you know how your mount holes for the front brackets are right "IN-line" with the mount holes for the spindle...so close that you lightly grind the spindle edge to fit the bolts??

well dont mount in line, mount "offset" above or below so that you can keep the rear bracket fabrication minimal and the caliper in the "designed" location...ie fwd of the rear spindle....

-J
Old 10-06-2010, 03:48 PM
burntZ

Tried that too!

the one mount hole would whack the middle of the caliper, couldn't get them parallel.

could have put the caliper in the 7:30 position(driver side) but thought it looked silly 1/2 upside down.

23000 miles on them so far!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:06 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by burntZ
Tried that too!

the one mount hole would whack the middle of the caliper, couldn't get them parallel.

could have put the caliper in the 7:30 position(driver side) but thought it looked silly 1/2 upside down.

23000 miles on them so far!
aahh, i see..........boo..

-J
Old 10-17-2010, 12:12 PM
hellsoldiers08

so what piston are the calibers? Im sorry if i missed it in the beginning.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:53 PM
itgogitrev

First things first, thank you so much for this write up. I've probably read it twenty times or so and am really happy that someone has done a caliper replacement on the Brembo rotors. It really makes it more cost effective for those who don't have them; in my case, I never had the option as I have an 04 sedan. Plus, have you seen the price people have been putting on beat up Brembos? Jesus....

I'm going to be doing a similar setup in a few weeks on my sedan, but I'm going to use a different caliper in the rear to try to address the packaging/bracket issues of Superlites. Conveniently, I have access to a CNC router and a tap/die set and I'm hoping to make this work with bolts and washers only. The idea is that by decreasing the amount of hardware and changing the rear caliper, I can use a smaller bracket in the rear.

I have a few quick questions, though.

- What grade hardware did you finally end up using? I saw grade 8, but I'm not certain if you've changed it since.

- What torque specs did you use for the bolts on the bottom part of the bracket (to the knuckle) and to the top (to the caliper)?

- Would you happen to know the thread pitch for the bolts used to secure the caliper to the knuckle?

Quick Reply: DIY: Making your own [budget] BBK