DIY: Akebono BBK Installation on 03-07 G/Z - Page 4 - MY350Z.COM Forums

Old 04-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #61
JMII

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dr View Post
I have found 2 ways of installing Plate/Bracket.
So...What is the proper way of installing it?

Figure B.

From Forums. As you can see it looks the like Plate/Bracket is inverse from figure A. And the hooks are facing downwards

So What is the proper installation?
I just installed an Akebono's kit last week on my '03 Touring Z and they are installed like this picture shows as well. It was the only way I could get them to fit. Damn pins on the front were a major pain but the rears slid in like hot butter.

What is the purpose of this plate / bracket? Is it to stop the brakes from squealing by holding them firm? More importantly is the photo above correct?

Also... should I have shims in between the pistons and the pad themselves?
My kit didn't come with any and my previous factory brakes lacked shims as well.

Overall installation wasn't too bad, took me and my brother about 6 hours. Could have done it in 4 but cutting the rear dust shields with a Dremel requires several cut-off discs and doesn't go very fast. A grinder would rule here and tin snips help clip off in the tighter spots. Just make sure you have a dust mask (and safety glasses of course) its a very messy job with brake dust going everywhere!

Another odd thing - I didn't notice any difference between the banjo bolts supplied in the kit (stainless line upgrade) and my previous stock ones. I was under the impression the rear banjo bolt was a different size / thread pitch.

FYI - it took 2.5 bottles (500 ml size I think) of Motul 600 RBF fluid to fully flush the system and get all the air out. During the original instal I went thru 1.5 bottles, saw no more air bubbles using Motive bleeder, but the brakes were still a touch soft. I drove around for a week and things firmed up a bit, but to be safe I put another bottle thru the system and only then did they get super firm. Just tapping on them now provides an instant response.

The Akebonos brakes with Project Mu HC+ pads performed AWESOME during some limited track time (2 sessions, about 15 laps total) before a previous problem with my hubs came back (completely unrelated to Akebono upgrade). Overall the brakes seemed to require less pressure to get the car down to correct apex speed. And yes these things are HUGE and heavy, they fit with about the height of two brake weights to spare between the calipers and factory 18" Touring rims. As far as the weight goes I only really noticed that suspension rebound feels different, like going over rail road tracks seems harsher.
JMII is offline   Reply With Quote