DIY - Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement - Translink - Page 5 - MY350Z.COM Forums

Old 02-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #81
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch579 View Post
Just changed mine out. Bought totally new arms. I got a smoking deal on them so thats why I did it. The other bushing that mounts to the strut was beat down pretty hard also. I also changed all my shocks at the same time too. The car feels stable on the road again, no more scary wobbling at high speeds. Just as stable as a rock like when it was new!!
There are lot of people that wouldnt want to mess with pressing out the bushings and doing the whiteline route as you did...

share plz where you got the arms for others??

-J
JasonZ-YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:28 AM   #82
twitch579

Got them from a Semi-Local dealer. I actually had 2 sets! It was a back door special and I would rather not expose the dealer.

The first set I got was for a G35 Sedan. I thought that the control arms were the same but there actually not. Where the ball joint goes into Control arm is smaller on the G35 Sedan. The nut will not go on far enough and you wont be able to get the cotter pin in. I'm not sure about G35 Coupes.

Got some Z arms and just bolted them right up. While I had the car in the air I dropped out the struts also and threw in some new ones. Mine have 98,500 on them lol!

Last edited by twitch579; 02-08-2010 at 03:29 AM.
twitch579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:20 AM   #83
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^^ cool...........essentially the same thing will happen down the road again if you keep your z long enough........since you got the new arms and they are just oem bushings in it again.

at least now you have a spare set that you can prep with whiteline bushings with no down time next time it happens......

maybe you can sell them cheap to someone wanting to do the install too......???

-J
Old 02-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #84
twitch579

twitch579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #85
Miggz

Thanks for the DIY^^, looking forward to doing this within the next few weeks.
Miggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:05 AM   #86
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggz View Post
Thanks for the DIY^^, looking forward to doing this within the next few weeks.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:05 AM   #87
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Quote:

it never ends huh.....

-J
Old 05-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #88
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by archebald23 View Post
whew.. never knew its this complicated. i was planning on replacing my control arm kit via DIY but so many things can go wrong. i think ima pass on this one any just send it to a garage.
go wrong? ok...

well its up to you, you have to size the job and evaluate your capabilities...

You can save yourself a lot of money if you remove the translink yourself and simply take the translink and the new bushing to a shop and JUST have them remove the old and install the new bushing....

come back home and reinstall it?

I know many people dont OWN a press, nor are willing to buy one just to do "this" job...

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 05-05-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:31 AM   #89
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by archebald23 View Post
whew.. never knew its this complicated. i was planning on replacing my control arm kit via DIY but so many things can go wrong. i think ima pass on this one any just send it to a garage.
There really is nothing complicated about it at all - it simply comes down to having a little bit of mechanical know-how and the right tools for the job.

That being said, we have a tool that we have just made which will make it a total DIY for the home mechanic. It's not that cheap but it is less expensive, and a helluva lot more convenient than the labor will be at a shop to do this job. Plus you won't be at the mercy of a shop to do it for you on your day off or a weekend, when you should be out using the car. We'll be posting info on our blog in the next day or 2 and linking it in our Whiteline classified ad in the Vendor - Suspension section.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 05-06-2010 at 03:33 AM.
Z1 Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:34 AM   #90
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1 Performance View Post
There really is nothing complicated about it at all - it simply comes down to having a little bit of mechanical know-how and the right tools for the job.

That being said, we have a tool that we have just made which will make it a total DIY for the home mechanic. It's not that cheap but it is less expensive, and a helluva lot more convenient than the labor will be at a shop to do this job. Plus you won't be at the mercy of a shop to do it for you on your day off or a weekend, when you should be out using the car. We'll be posting info on our blog in the next day or 2 and linking it in our Whiteline classified ad in the Vendor - Suspension section.
A Z1 approved "Franksocket"

-J
Old 07-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #91
go kart

well u were right, i need to replace the one on my drivers side. im gonna order the whiteline set. this might be a dumb question but do i need to get an alignment after?
go kart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:05 AM   #92
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kart View Post
well u were right, i need to replace the one on my drivers side. im gonna order the whiteline set. this might be a dumb question but do i need to get an alignment after?
I wouldn't say you "need" one.........as fixing this issue puts the translink arm back centered as it was supposed to be............given the last alignment done was done when it was centered??? so if your not sure, then i would say its a good idea....

-J
Old 07-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #93
go kart

k so once everything was finished i noticed that my steering wheel was angled to the left a bit. im guessing it means i def need that alignment? the car had an alignment done about 2500 miles ago so it was probably done with the bad bushing... thanks again for your help man
go kart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:22 AM   #94
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kart View Post
k so once everything was finished i noticed that my steering wheel was angled to the left a bit. im guessing it means i def need that alignment? the car had an alignment done about 2500 miles ago so it was probably done with the bad bushing... thanks again for your help man
yup, seems like it, as if alignment was done with a bad bushing it would throw everything off correcting that arm with the whitelines...

I would recommend going to a chain store like NTB or Firestone and getting there 5 year alignment, etc............the Z needs it often...

-J
Old 08-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #95
kurtdaniel

Quote:
Got them from a Semi-Local dealer. I actually had 2 sets! It was a back door special and I would rather not expose the dealer.

The first set I got was for a G35 Sedan. I thought that the control arm kit were the same but there actually not. Where the ball joint goes into Control arm is smaller on the G35 Sedan. The nut will not go on far enough and you wont be able to get the cotter pin in. I'm not sure about G35 Coupes.

Got some Z arms and just bolted them right up. While I had the car in the air I dropped out the struts also and threw in some new ones. Mine have 98,500 on them lol!
thats right,,i have that experience too..i bought a set for g35 but it was smaller..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 08-16-2010 at 10:42 AM.
kurtdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #96
SlipZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1 Performance View Post

guys, do you have the franknsocket for this DIY. Im planning on doing mine pretty soon.

thanks,

-C
SlipZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #97
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ I have one that i ship out.......you just gotta please be decently quick about shipping it back as others pm me for it here and there??

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 10-15-2010 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #98
tyau

Does the ball joint slide out from the transverse link (aka lower control arm) easily on our cars???

In the past, removing the arm was a pita because the ball joint had to be hammered or pryed out which damages the ball joint and the boot.

My bushings are fine, but I don't want to risk damaging my ball joints yet just to swap out bushings.

Last edited by tyau; 01-20-2011 at 10:19 AM.
tyau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #99
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

^^nothing a deadblow hammer cant tap out - but honestly they do come out quite easily..
AcidJake75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #100
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ yep, easy, Ive never had one stuck...if anything a light tap with a rubber hammer and off it comes......with as many as i have done, i would be surprised if one was stuck..

-J